Why are thieves the biggest whiners in WvW?

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Thieves send more QQ tells after losing more than any class I fight. For a while I thought it was because I simply run into more thieves roaming, but I started keeping track of the number of tells by class a few months ago. Thieves are nearly 10 times more likely to send a QQ tell than any other class.

Why do you think thieves top that list? Not complaining just curious.

Interesting side note, most of the QQ tells from thieves come from stealth stacking D/P gank builds. I have rarely gotten a tell from PP, SP, PD, etc.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

(edited by Straegen.2938)

in Thief

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

Probably Players that expect Thief to be Op and carry them or from players thinking they are better than they are? Idk

in Thief

Posted by: vove.2768

vove.2768

Thieves send more QQ tells after losing more than any class I fight. For a while I thought it was because I simply run into more thieves roaming, but I started keeping track of the number of tells by class a few months ago. Thieves are nearly 10 times more likely to send a QQ tell than any other class.

Interesting side note, most of the QQ tells from thieves come from stealth stacking D/P gank builds. I have rarely gotten a tell from PP, SP, PD, etc.

I don’t believe you.

Just read your post. It sounds like you got your butt delivered to you on a plate by some low skill thief and you had the urge to tell the world you aren’t bad, but I guess no one will care about it and your “problem”.

As for qq biggest whiners are guardians at the moment. From my experience the amount of guardians who insult you on whisper and block you is far higher than any other profession.

in Thief

Posted by: saerni.2584

saerni.2584

Some players have a toxic attitude about how other people should play the game. If you are on thief they will know what you are running, roughly, so they will feel more empowered to complain about it imo.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
Thief (Daredevil)
Commandant of Pistol-Dagger and Apex Predator

in Thief

Posted by: kash.9213

kash.9213

All thieves want to be THE thief. Get killed by another class and they can make some balance excuse. Get killed by another thief it’s because that other thief was better and that just can’t be. That’s not reality, that’s just a likely perspective and some people just like to talk trash because that’s probably the one chance they get to so I just let them, I get it.

Kash
NSP

in Thief

Posted by: Turk.5460

Turk.5460

Gr8 b8 m8, I r8 8/8

-Fort Aspenwood- [UNIV] [TLC] [ShW]
-Sorrow’s Furnace-

in Thief

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

someone pm me other day saying i probably get a lot salt then i spent 5 minutes teaching him how to play better

in Thief

Straegen.2938

someone pm me other day saying i probably get a lot salt then i spent 5 minutes teaching him how to play better

I try and offer help when they ask and will duel if they ask. Most of the time it boils down to telling them to turn the Auto off their AA and stop being utterly predictable in the rotations.

I don’t believe you.

Just read your post. It sounds like you got your butt delivered to you on a plate by some low skill thief and you had the urge to tell the world you aren’t bad, but I guess no one will care about it and your “problem”.

If you play on or against BP and roam (Mag or YB if going back years), you have almost certainly run with or into me or my guildmate. We play pretty much everyday for 2+ hours mostly during NA Prime and main thieves 99% of the time. Not saying we are great but we aren’t bad by any stretch.

I typically reply to QQ politely regardless of the salt level and often talk about turtles until someone blocks me.

As for qq biggest whiners are guardians at the moment. From my experience the amount of guardians who insult you on whisper and block you is far higher than any other profession.

I logged well over 100 salty tells (small sample size) and Guardians are low on the list. It goes Thief with about 80 QQ tells then everything else. That is in WvW roaming, not sPvP, not dueling and not in large groups. I did not count positive or constructive tells and I am not counting multiple tells from a single source.

It could be that thieves know how to whisper across servers easier or that younger players tend to play thieves (speculating).

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

in Thief

Posted by: MidoriMarch.8067

MidoriMarch.8067

and I bet u main Druid.

Because main druids are the most whinners expecting more buffs when class is already facerolling ez & op

in Thief

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

well i semi main thief and warrior, and when i see warrior regen pretty much 5/6% health per sec, eating 6k back stabs at the most (if i land them) while they can dish out 9k eviscerate/arc devider then yes, i can understand their QQ. tbh i think most thives rage whisper at a victorious enemy is because everyone else QQ;s @ thief mobility and stealth… i think it is more a grudge rage more of a defeated rage whisper.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

in Thief

Posted by: Shadowstep.6049

Shadowstep.6049

This is pvp, not wvw but it is about same thing as far as whining goes. I actually get most complains from DHs and wars for some reason (got reported for hacking multiple times…. because apparently using shadowstep and steal is hacking). I will just leave it here (cut out random map chat stuff and names due to naming shaming thingly):

Attachments:

(edited by Shadowstep.6049)

in Thief

Posted by: Chapell.1346

Chapell.1346

There was a time that we are not whinny as other people think/throwing to us when they’ve beaten to death while today when those been beaten to death role/play Thief and died to other class/profession they whine back twice the damage. It’s a food chain and the cycle is good if you ask me.

[Urge]
Between a master and apprentice, i would love to see the differences.

in Thief

Posted by: Kocoff.7582

Kocoff.7582

It’s the absolute opposite for me. I get all the complaints, if I am not fast enough decapping.
Those who complain the most in Ranked are for me Engineers and Guardians who spend their lives in mid.

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

in Thief

Straegen.2938

and I bet u main Druid.

Because main druids are the most whinners expecting more buffs when class is already facerolling ez & op

As I stated above when someone suggested I was a “bad player” and played some other class, I main a thief 99% of the time these days and I play a lot as in 5k plus WvW hours with more than half of those on a roaming thief. My KDR is respectable especially for a non-stealth hybrid.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

The “roaming” crew has boiled down mostly to unskilled gankers running FoTM builds in “skilled” guilds pretending they’re as good as that guy they saw on youtube three years ago. Since thieves typically can’t run in blobs and a lot of the mechanics underlying the FoTM builds are just unfun for the opponent/trolly, this is the result you get.

So yea it’ll bring a lot of toxicity when they can’t win, or they think they’re amazing and the best thief ever when they do.

in Thief

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Thieves are nearly 10 times more likely to send a QQ tell than any other class.

Note: Loaded question fallacy. . This is an invalid argument you’ve posed here but it’s interesting.

EDIT: Didn’t see “Lol this isn’t complaining” description. Whoops. Changing my mind and answering this civilly since it -isnt- class shaming like I thought it was.

Allegedly. It’s heavily implied though. >~>

I haven’t noticed a class specific grouping of players predisposed to sending rage whispers. I’ve gotten salty comments from every class. I wouldn’t attribute it specifically to thieves but moreso the mentality that a majority of thief players may have that steer them to pick up the class. For the most part thief play is soloist, duel-oriented and selfish. The problem is that to actually get to that playstyle proper, it takes a lot of work.

You’re probably running into people expecting their build to do the heavy lifting of their massive “I’m a kitten” ego, only for their lack of skill to drop it.
It also appears to happen with players that are generally bad/run meta, which is not class specific.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

(edited by Azure The Heartless.3261)

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

I am 80 percent of time on a thief. I spend 80 percent of that time either solo or small group roaming.

The big three for whine QQs are fellow thieves, Warriors and mesmers in no particular order.

I do not think I ever had an engineer QQ me and necros , rangers , are rare. DHs and revs are somewhere in between.

From the warriors It tends to be about using a “cheese buid” whether it condition or power. I have had them QQ that I was the worse thief they ever faced (yeah I am that bad) even after I killed them solo about 8 times in a row.

Mesmers are all over the place. I even had one Condi mesmer QQ me that I used spam condition build to beat his condition build.

The thieves that QQ tend to complain because I am not using a meta build that pre approved d/p. Apparently if they are using the pinnacle build d/p and lose to someone in p/d , s/d , p/p or staff , it can only be because the latter has a build that carries them and has no element of skill.

(edited by babazhook.6805)

in Thief

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

The “roaming” crew has boiled down mostly to unskilled gankers running FoTM builds in “skilled” guilds pretending they’re as good as that guy they saw on youtube three years ago. Since thieves typically can’t run in blobs and a lot of the mechanics underlying the FoTM builds are just unfun for the opponent/trolly, this is the result you get.

So yea it’ll bring a lot of toxicity when they can’t win, or they think they’re amazing and the best thief ever when they do.

^Pretty much that.
There is a pretty good percentage of players just looking for the easiest/cheesiest win. Before the last round of druid nerfs I was getting the most rage whispers from them because there were so many fotm players that expected the build to hard carry their lack of skill and understanding of the class.
I bet a lot of those players swapped to thief after the nerf because even though thief might not be the best for 1v1’s it is still the best for running if they get into trouble. If you manage to lock them down and kill them they tend to qq.

Funny enough but the last salty whisper I got was from a ghost thief running with 2 other ghost thieves. He called my p/p engi cheesy after I revealed and killed all 3 of them when they tried to jump me. Perfect example of players that snagged a brain dead build off youtube expecting it to carry them.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in Thief

Posted by: fluffdragon.1523

fluffdragon.1523

So from the sound of it, people are using metabuilds that aren’t actually all that effective against something with a brain and really upset that they can’t spam a few skills like you’re Jormag?

in Thief

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

So from the sound of it, people are using metabuilds that aren’t actually all that effective against something with a brain and really upset that they can’t spam a few skills like you’re Jormag?

Close/Yes, with the added note of:

You just happen to lose more as thief if you do ^. Whether or not that affects the amount of rage people send remains to be seen to me but it -could- be that.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

in Thief

DeceiverX.8361

^Pretty much that.
There is a pretty good percentage of players just looking for the easiest/cheesiest win. Before the last round of druid nerfs I was getting the most rage whispers from them because there were so many fotm players that expected the build to hard carry their lack of skill and understanding of the class.
I bet a lot of those players swapped to thief after the nerf because even though thief might not be the best for 1v1’s it is still the best for running if they get into trouble. If you manage to lock them down and kill them they tend to qq.

Funny enough but the last salty whisper I got was from a ghost thief running with 2 other ghost thieves. He called my p/p engi cheesy after I revealed and killed all 3 of them when they tried to jump me. Perfect example of players that snagged a brain dead build off youtube expecting it to carry them.

I’d say it’s probably a majority of players these days. It’s quite rare when I encounter someone who isn’t running the FoTM cheese, and typically those who aren’t are just better people. Sad to say, a lot of people looking for genuinely good fights (even if losing) left the game entirely with HoT.

I will say that the druid’s celestial sustain before its nerfs were out of line even coming from non-meta builds. It’s counters were largely off-meta, but it did counter most of that space as well. Put simply, six consecutive full-combos (from me, which means on anyone else 200k+ damage) which would out-damage the sustain of even the old D/D ele was making barely any scratches. They really do need to do something about core ranger, though I think this can be said about the relationship between most elite specs and their respective core ones.

I’m not even so sure so many switched to explicitly thief (probably many current ghost thieves did), as Berserker, burn guard, and condi mesmer play has been steadily increasing as well, and frankly, those aren’t too skill-intensive, either.

in Thief

Posted by: Zedek.8932

Zedek.8932

Excelsior.

Since I do not play PvP in this game for various reasons, I do in other games as compensation. And what I have seen is the attitude of certain people with an interest in a certain playstyle / characters / classes and jobs or even weapons in shooters.

This goes all over FF14, League of Legends and the generic online shooters.

For example, shotgun players will rage in close combat because their weapon implies they just one-shot you. If they lose in close-range combat, e.g. with a knive, they can’t accept they have been thrown from their throne in that department.

In League of Legends, I barely get a rage by a Lulu (cute, diminutive support lady with pointy ears), but by Darius’ (beefy, violent guy wielding an axe that gets cooldown reset on kills). They even rage more when killed by other 90cm (3ft) midgets as if that would mean anything, but hey, they play the big beefy warrior, they can’t lose to a blowpipe midget. The sniper that camps all day long thinks he can just watch and kill, but rages at you when you land a grenade in their hidy spot.

You get the point.

In GW2, I think thieve players are often thinking they are slicing throats out of the shadow and then disappear in the shadows. If that does not work, e.g. because, let’s say, the enemy fights back (duh!), they dreams are shattered.

Right now, from what I have seen and still see ingame, I think thieves have no real identity. Okay, this is the PvP section and I PvE only, but to me I think it’s the problem of many players to accept Thief is a mediocre, below-average class. I know this is a statement many will disagree on, but to me it feels like that. Every class in this game has a variety of identity-creating skills and a real feel to it. And all blend into thief. They are, design-wise, the losers.

This is really just my personal observance reading trough the forums and playing PvE. I fight an enemy, I see some other randon class joining, lighting up a firework of skills and damage and he kills it faster than me. I am very irritated by this. What are we now? Bursters? DoT-ty?Tanky? Stealthy? None of them really applies and I feel often like a toned down/neutered class that has been stolen the identity and given these to the other classes.

The reason why I love it is the very design. I can’t stand rogue classes in games normally, but here (and with Asura) it works so well and I like the weapon choises over all the other classes. But many people can not stand this and can’t get over the fact they are indeed not the 1-shot backstabbers the name “thief” and class description claims.

Zedexx, sly Asura Thief/Assassin
and politically highly incorrect. (#Asuracist)
“We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!”

in Thief

Posted by: Simonoly.4352

Simonoly.4352

The class has always attracted a certain type of….edge master. They get rather emotional when they’re outplayed or when you just turn on them as a group and obliterate them… and boy do they want you to know about it! Pre-HoT I’d say 90% of my angry whispers came from other Thieves. However, post-HoT it’s just a minefield of mad people now across every single class. I think it’s because the game is so much easer to play now that quite a lot of players assume success and aren’t used to having their kitten handed to them on a shiny silver platter

Gandara

in Thief

Posted by: Kal Bhairav.6589

Kal Bhairav.6589

I main thief. And play wvw sometime.
I have never won duel.
But I am still happy and won’t quit playing thief. Yeah, I am nub but someone gotta be the bottom of the list.
And, I am that lucky one.

(edited by Kal Bhairav.6589)

in Thief

Straegen.2938

Well this weekend went against the grain. Not a single QQ thief tell but about 20 QQ tells from other classes. That is way more than I get normally probably due to the holidays I guess. Oddly this time mostly from Rangers and Warriors. Oddly two different necros were slinging some really nasty Asian oriented insults that don’t apply to me.

Oh and I QQ a lot on our Discord channel so I am not immune from the whining just don’t feel the need to share it with a stranger.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

in Thief

Posted by: martin.1653

martin.1653

Whiners are probably people who got killed by thief, came crying to forums about it and called for nerfs. Then they rolled thiefs themselves (to show everyone how thief is OP and can kill everything in a split second) and then got obliterated in every single fight cause they had to press more than 1 button and couldn’t facetank 15k damage.
Hah!

in Thief

Posted by: Jugglemonkey.8741

Jugglemonkey.8741

Most thieves have egos, which I guess is why they play the class in the first place. That’s why I love linking my sentinel gear when I kill someone on my troll thief, and just watch them rage at it. Nothing makes people rage like being killed by a fat norn staff thief lol

Critical Kit, Thief.
Don’t follow me, unless you enjoy being chased by angry men with sticks.
Power Build Condi Build

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

It might be a habit they develop from being sent whispers probably the most out of any class in WvW. I receive them pretty often when I kill someone or do something annoying. I personally don’t usually answer back with much if at all, nor do I ever initiate whispers to enemies in WvW. It’s kind of an exploit to begin with anyways since we’re not supposed to be able to. :s

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

in Thief

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Just had a ghost thief call me cheesy (lol) because I stealth trapped him. I guess me bending over and rubbing the dirt for 4 seconds wasn’t a big enough tell for him

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in Thief

Straegen.2938

Just had a ghost thief call me cheesy (lol) because I stealth trapped him. I guess me bending over and rubbing the dirt for 4 seconds wasn’t a big enough tell for him

That one wins the jackpot. A ghost thief calling some other build cheese…

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

in Thief

DeceiverX.8361

That one wins the jackpot. A ghost thief calling some other build cheese…

Not uncommon. I get flak a lot from condi mesmers when playing my power reaper because it apparently does too much damage and I needed to land transfers for cleanses.

Ignorant people being ignorant at the end of the day.

in Thief

Posted by: Westenev.5289

Westenev.5289

Funnily enough, as a thief in wvw, I tend to find most of my love letters are from Warriors – especially if I disengage by shadow stepping away, making them miss their one shot at a burst before I get out of range.

And lets not even talk about what happens if I dare to down a warrior as a +1…

in Thief

Posted by: Gwaihir.1745

Gwaihir.1745

I find eles actually are the worst. They run away until they eventually win then like to act pro.

in Thief

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

One reason that they may top YOUR list is that tbh I think you have been focusing other thieves far more than other classes, because in 4 years roaming my personal experience has been very different (also playing thief), I have not found that one class sends rage whispers more than another, its been far more balanced, so ask yourself, how many thieves do you kill compared to other classes, because I think it may be a factor in your findings.

in Thief

Posted by: reddie.5861

reddie.5861

i always get told im a nub, while i just stomped em.

this applies 99% of the time towards non international servers tho.

in Thief

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

no one ever pm me! feel bad man ! haha

in Thief

Posted by: TiF.6589

TiF.6589

I main thief. And play wvw sometime.
I have never won duel.
But I am still happy and won’t quit playing thief. Yeah, I am nub but someone gotta be the bottom of the list.
And, I am that lucky one.

Whoa whoa whoa, don’t you dare take that bottom position from me.

in Thief

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

I love getting QQ whispers from players that Portal Hump then claim, I’m a coward Thief for leaving..