Why were Assassins renamed to "Thieves"

in Thief

Posted by: Abe Kleine.3568

Abe Kleine.3568

Alright, from what I can gather, in GW1 the thief profession was originally called the assassin. But in GW2 they renamed it. But my question is…. Why? I don’t have a thief so I have no idea how they function except for actually fighting them, but in my eyes they seem more like assassins than anything else. I know they have 1 move that allows them to steal something from another profession but is that all? Are there other skills that make this profession feel like a “thief”? Don’t need people gettin’ mad or anything, just curious is all

(edited by Abe Kleine.3568)

in Thief

Posted by: Berengar.6951

Berengar.6951

Well lore-wise I believe assassins are from the continent of Cantha

Engineer, Thief, Mesmer, Elementalist, Guardian,Warrior, Necro
[KoM] Krewe of Misfits
[IB]Inglorious Basterdz

in Thief

Posted by: Abe Kleine.3568

Abe Kleine.3568

Well lore-wise I believe assassins are from the continent of Cantha

Ah, I see. I’m not that big into the lore of the 1st GW1, wish I was :c

in Thief

Posted by: Ghostwolf.9863

Ghostwolf.9863

Afaik, they decided to name them thief due to that it describes the GW2 class more widely. It’s weak unless it has control, selfish, easy to run away with, steals stuff, has a lot of tools, only a part of the thief class is purely about assassination.

Since thief is the wide title for the class, whatever you want to define yourself as is a role-play element. Pick up daggers and sb and some assassin-looking armor, go deadly arts and critical strikes and you may simply call your character assassin.
S/P and some pirate-looking armor and you have a pirate, P/D if you want to feel like a bandit, S/D for ninja. Just some examples.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Assassin

Thief, Engineer, Mesmer – Seafarer’s Rest (EU)

(edited by Ghostwolf.9863)

in Thief

Posted by: Black Teagan.9215

Black Teagan.9215

Thieves are no renamed Assassins.
Their original name was “Damage Dealer” and were renamed to thief because it sounds better.

Dont ask me why they do this, but except dmg is there nothing what they can do better than other classes. :/

Caleb Ferendir
-Charr Thief-
It’s good to be bad!

(edited by Black Teagan.9215)

in Thief

Posted by: Menzies The Heretic.3415

Menzies The Heretic.3415

Assassin had kind of a bad name in GW1. I think that they called it thief because of the new stealing/stealth theme over insta kill assassinations.

* Twitch – Mênzîes – Mesmer pvp
* YouTube – Fun, guides and gameplay

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Assassins are straight forward monotonous class that only do one thing — to assassinate.

Thief on the other hand can have sub-classes that revolves around doing things for the sake of money.
- Thief steals because of money (typical thief).
- They will kill for money (assassin).
- Sabotage for money (saboteur).
- Duel for money (duelist).
- Fight for money (mercenary).
- etc

I can’t see Assassins being all tactical and acrobatic like duelist or simply stealing without killing. So Thief is more appropriate.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Assassin’s were renamed to thief because Steal. Steal is only reason why thieves are thieves!

in Thief

Posted by: Splatter Paw.7238

Splatter Paw.7238

It’s a lore thing, and as mentioned in gw1 assassin’s were hated, they were called “sins” because players saw the creation of the class as a sin by anet. Funny though as it was a stealthless class. There was no stealth at all in gw1

in Thief

Posted by: aimz.6287

aimz.6287

It’s a lore thing, and as mentioned in gw1 assassin’s were hated, they were called “sins” because players saw the creation of the class as a sin by anet. Funny though as it was a stealthless class. There was no stealth at all in gw1

Well, actually. They did have blinds. And blinds in gw1 stayed on the enemy. For example if you casted a 8 sec blind on a foe, that foe would miss all of its attacks for 8 secs. In gw2 Its a one and done deal. So it evens out a bit…

in Thief

Posted by: caveman.5840

caveman.5840

Why were Assassins renamed to “Thieves” ?
because where gangster like that

(edited by caveman.5840)

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Because, aside from making people QQ in random directions, providing loot bags for the enemy, the only other thing we’re good at is:

I’m waiting to be infracted again, just like EVERY post I’ve posted recently…. for really no reason.

In all seriousness, Ghostwolf gave the exact reason. “Thief” is supposed to be GW2’ Rogue/Assassin/Thief/Ninja archetype.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

in Thief

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

@ Zero Day, hope you don’t.

Op, look at Guild Wars Assassin, http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Assassin

They had No: stealth, teleports, backstabs, heartseeker, clones, cloaks… or were OP in their design or mechanics, whatsoever.

But this one,

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Thief

Watch Out!

Incoming God Mode/OP Profession

The point of this is, Assassin was not renamed to Thief, Thief replaced them and used them as a scapegoat, To Justify Their Over Powerfulness

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

(edited by Burnfall.9573)

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

They had No: stealth, teleports, backstabs, heartseeker, clones, cloaks… or were OP in their design or mechanics, whatsoever.

But this one,

Watch Out!

The point of this is, Assassin was not renamed to Thief, Thief replaced them and used them as a scapegoat, to be Over Powered

Point is…. with classes like those is that people want a “fair” fight. Meaning, no one likes to be dropped very quickly, despite what it costs the opponent to do so. For instance even though we excel in dueling/1v1, we’re very poor in zerging, or support, or really anything else besides 1v1, however it’s not “fair” that we excel in 1v1’s (from the perspective of who’s getting dropped). And so we’re OP. That’s kind of the gist of things.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: Shemsu.8721

Shemsu.8721

But this one,

Watch Out!

The point of this is, Assassin was not renamed to Thief, Thief replaced them and used them as a scapegoat, To Justify Their Over Powerfulness

Apparently you never played the original game, shadowsteps come from assassins, and they had way more teleports than thieves do. in addition to being extremely powerful at certain times, i’d drop stealth any day for the defenses, shadow form for instance. Your ignorance burnfall is legendary

in Thief

caveman.5840

lol y did this get turned in to a thief op thread . i made a really dumb joke

if i can go on my ranger and kill thieves.
if i can go on a war and kill thieves.
if i can go on a engi and kill thieves.
if i can go on a necro and kill thieves
the only class i have had trouble killing thieves on is element and thats just because
i have never spent time learning them

y is there this thief is op problem ?
still after 100s of nerfs .
i can only think it is a player VS player skill problem.

in 80 % of my fights
people don’t think to use imob chill cripple weekness VS a sword dagger dodge thief

people don’t think to break the D/p stealth combo with pulls pushes stuns
when the thief is low on initiative.

people don’t think about denying the D/D CnD.

they only think in a fight i am going to hit u and strategy does not matter.
and by not being patient and waiting for a time to attack they just panic and press buttons .
making it easier for the thief to win
because the thief wants u to panic and wants u to waist skills so they can make a attack when u r on cool down

(edited by caveman.5840)

in Thief

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

Cantha connection
Also the name assassin implies they are all about….well assassinating. Thief is a bit more broad.

and here I though they were called sins because its better to shorten it to that than “kitten ”.

But I do remember them being rather one note and one of the classes you didn’t want an idiot playing.

(edited by Demented Sheep.1642)

in Thief

caveman.5840

u still don’t want a idiot playing thief on your team .
a idiot thief only adds a weakness to your team