Withdraw

Withdraw

in Thief

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Wouldn’t this skill make more sense if you could control the direction of the dodge? It’s an instant cast ability too. Any direction + Withdraw would compliment acrobatics builds quite well especially with Vigorous Recovery.

The fact that it forces you to roll backwards feels awkard. If I wanted to go forward I would have to turn around 180 degrees and activate; which doesn’t make any sense.

Withdraw

in Thief

Posted by: Iohanna.4863

Iohanna.4863

The fact that it forces you to roll backwards feels awkard. If I wanted to go forward I would have to turn around 180 degrees and activate; which doesn’t make any sense.

This is much easier to do than you think.

Withdraw

in Thief

Calae.1738

This is much easier to do than you think.

Wether its easy or not doesn’t mean that it doesn’t make sense.

System 1
Turn mouse and face character in opposite direction of where you want to dodge then activate heal.

System 2
Press button for desired direction then activate heal.

I could emulate system 2 by using system 1. However, system 2 is far more efficient and less confusing. System 1 is like driving a car that turns left when steering right and turns right when steering left.

It’s doesn’t make sense.

Withdraw

in Thief

Posted by: Vecuu.2018

Vecuu.2018

I think it’s less about wanting to remove control from the player and more about the feel of the spell.

Withdraw is acting literally with regards to its definition: to back away.

The spell makes sense as it is. Whether or not the spell should be remade into a “Tumble” that utilizes directional keys is a different matter.

Jaded [Jade] – Darkhaven Server
Jaded.boards.net – Your future home

Withdraw

in Thief

Calae.1738

Well, if the reason the spell evades backwards is because it’s called Withdraw; one can wonder why they haven’t renamed it to Evade and provided more control to the player.

Very little thought process went into the design of this ability. Most other skills in this game share the same fate. It feels like they ran out of time and had to think of something quickly.

Withdraw

in Thief

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

You’re overcomplicating the skill. The times where you need to go any other direction then forward or backwards, is next to zero. The point is simply to get out of a bad situation, from foes you are either facing, or who are chasing you. Turning 180 is as simple as pressing a button, if you just bind the key named “About Face”.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

Withdraw

in Thief

Calae.1738

You’re overcomplicating the skill. The times where you need to go any other direction then forward or backwards, is next to zero. The point is simply to get out of a bad situation, from foes you are either facing, or who are chasing you. Turning 180 is as simple as pressing a button, if you just bind the key named “About Face”.

Dude.

My point is you don’t have to “turn left to go right”. You could build it so that you can “turn right to go right”.

Why build a car that turns left when you steer right?

Withdraw

in Thief

Posted by: Setus.4731

Setus.4731

you can just mouse turn to make withdraw go whatever way ;/

Withdraw

in Thief

Posted by: Eduardo.4675

Eduardo.4675

Why build a car that turns left when you steer right? to have funny driving.

Adapt or die. I never die.

Withdraw

in Thief

Kasama.8941

Dude.

My point is you don’t have to “turn left to go right”. You could build it so that you can “turn right to go right”.

The skill is designed to roll you back. If you changed the skill into a target based roll, it would be much more difficult to roll back, as you would have to both turn and target first. Having a reliable roll back is also much better for situations where you are immobilized or otherwise unable to turn. And again, the times when you want to go left or right with the skill is next to zero, and turning your camera is already easy. So I really don’t see any reason to change it.

“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

Withdraw

in Thief

Posted by: gimmethegepgun.1284

gimmethegepgun.1284

Dude.

The skill is designed to roll you back. If you changed the skill into a target based roll, it would be much more difficult to roll back, as you would have to both turn and target first. Having a reliable roll back is also much better for situations where you are immobilized or otherwise unable to turn. And again, the times when you want to go left or right with the skill is next to zero, and turning your camera is already easy. So I really don’t see any reason to change it.

They could have designed it to make you roll in whatever direction you’re moving, like a regular dodge roll. Then, if you don’t want to leave you don’t have to, but if you want to get out of there you can use it backwards like you would a dodge roll and get the current effect.

Withdraw

in Thief

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

You can just keybind “About Face” and hit that then Withdraw if you want to go 180.

There is nothing wrong with this skill.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

Withdraw

in Thief

Calae.1738

Dude.

They could have designed it to make you roll in whatever direction you’re moving, like a regular dodge roll. Then, if you don’t want to leave you don’t have to, but if you want to get out of there you can use it backwards like you would a dodge roll and get the current effect.

Yes thank you.

So there actually ARE smart people in this forum.

Withdraw

in Thief

Posted by: Kyrion.2749

Kyrion.2749

Yes thank you.

So there actually ARE smart people in this forum.

In reality, everyone thinks like you, since there’s absolutely no logical reason for the skill not to behave like a regular Dodge… However, there will be always people with that mentality of:

“If I was was forced to do it this way, you should too” … or … “I troubled myself with this so you should have troubles too”.

Withdraw

in Thief

Posted by: Rhogall.4179

Rhogall.4179

Here’s a thought: Anet designed it this way because they didn’t WANT you to dodge in WHATEVER way you want. Wow, crazy eh?
The design is that Withdraw is a roll backward, deal with it. If that doesn’t suit you, consider it … flavor. They wanted to immerse players more with skills like this. Again, it’s designed this way.

If you’re not happy with it, may I suggest you offer your invaluable services and expertise as a game designer to Anet

Tezz The Relentless – Vertically Challenged Guardian
Ilario Ciarenni – Mesmerizing Human Mesmer
[TEO] The Exalted Ones

Withdraw

in Thief

Kyrion.2749

Here’s a thought: Anet designed it this way because they didn’t WANT you to dodge in WHATEVER way you want. Wow, crazy eh?
The design is that Withdraw is a roll backward, deal with it. If that doesn’t suit you, consider it … flavor. They wanted to immerse players more with skills like this. Again, it’s designed this way.

If you’re not happy with it, may I suggest you offer your invaluable services and expertise as a game designer to Anet

Well, in that case, people is clearly exploting the skill by using camera turns to Dodge in whatever direction they see fit.

If what you say is truly the designer’s intention, then the skill is bugged and should be fixed to always move you away from your opponents, no matter your relative position, facing or camera angle.

Withdraw

in Thief

Posted by: Rhogall.4179

Rhogall.4179

Well, in that case, people is clearly exploting the skill by using camera turns to Dodge in whatever direction they see fit.

If what you say is truly the designer’s intention, then the skill is bugged and should be fixed to always move you away from your opponents, no matter your relative position, facing or camera angle.

I wouldn’t call it a bug per se.

The skill makes you roll backwards. Now, if your back is facing the opponent, that’s where you’re rolling “backwards” to. Notice the tooltip says “roll backward” and not “roll backward away from the opponent”

Bug or clever use of game mechanics? Well, I’ll leave that with the Anet devs.

Tezz The Relentless – Vertically Challenged Guardian
Ilario Ciarenni – Mesmerizing Human Mesmer
[TEO] The Exalted Ones

Withdraw

in Thief

Posted by: Phoenixfudge.5290

Phoenixfudge.5290

Geez, this skill is already powerful enough.

A simple turn of camera will do. I personally think it should keep it’s “withdraw” style.

Withdraw

in Thief

Kyrion.2749

At this point is just semantics, but it is certainly difficult to understand that you are ‘Withdrawing’ from your opponent by rolling towards them

In any case I agree with you, It’s is a designer decision after all (no matter how cuestionable it may be) and we probably will never see changes to this skill.

Withdraw

in Thief

Posted by: Elmuerto.9840

Elmuerto.9840

Good points I’ve meaning to try this skill again, I use ShadowStep all the time.

Withdraw

in Thief

Calae.1738

If they didn’t WANT me to dodge in any direction I want then why am I allowed to do it? I bet you anyone who uses Withdraw uses it as an extra dodge.

I removed 10 points in Shadow Arts and replaced it with 10 points in Acrobatics to get some endurance refund on a dodge and Vigorous Recovery. Since Withdraw has such a low cooldown I can dodge almost indefinatley. This new build allows me to avoid so much damage that it makes Shadow Rejuvenation (regen while in stealth) look pretty terrible in comparison.

Withdraw

in Thief

Posted by: ComeAndSee.1356

ComeAndSee.1356

It’s easy to screw up Withdrawl if you don’t turn your camera all the way into the right direction and there’s been many a time where I’ve withdrawled right into the zerg I was trying to run away from. LoL

Sha Nari – 80 Guardian (http://bit.ly/12RNvtK)
Lorella Windrunner – 80 Thief
Shayera Nightfall – 80 Mesmer

Withdraw

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I always wished Withdraw and Roll for Initiative would allow you to roll in any direction like normal dodges do.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Withdraw

in Thief

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

Yeah, it would make the heal more useful and make it more skillful as well, its not like the ability is for stealth users.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

Withdraw

in Thief

Posted by: Jericho.4521

Jericho.4521

I’d be ok with being able to aim the Withdraw as long as I’m not forced into ground targeting with it. The main appeal for me is it’s instant cast time, which has saved my rear-end more times than I can count.

Withdraw

in Thief

Posted by: Darxio.5672

Darxio.5672

Motorcycles turn their handlebars left to go right.

Brigade of the Black Twilight [BBT]
Darxio – Thief Commander

Withdraw

in Thief

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

Wat

At any rate, you all seem to be forgetting that this skill Is Not a normal dodge roll. It goes much much farther than a normal dodge roll, it cures multie conditions, and has a healing component. It is a very different skill, and functions differently as a result. Your arguments make less than no sense. Anet obviously didn’t want this skill to be a normal dodge roll, and so it isn’t. It makes no sense to go complaining that you can’t use this non-dodge roll skill as a normal dodge roll, it’s simply ridiculous.

Withdraw

in Thief

Eduardo.4675

I once took my nephew (?) to a science show, and amongst other funny stuff, there was this bycicle that used those handlebars, only they were working “normal”. It was hilarious watching the 6 year old trying to veer right and going left all the time, with the following tumbles. However, even this six year old kid got the hang of it. The OP is less capable than this kid. Pathetic. And, guys, its a skill. Not a dodge. If it worked like a dodge, it would be less visible to opponents he was infact healing, not dodging. When i see someone using withdraw, i notice coz of this and the long distance traveled. I dont use head shot to interrupt it on these ppl, coz this heal is uninterruptible, for example. Maybe we need a moderator/dev coming here to clarify?

Withdraw

in Thief

Posted by: rjinx.1378

rjinx.1378

Wouldn’t this skill make more sense if you could control the direction of the dodge? It’s an instant cast ability too. Any direction + Withdraw would compliment acrobatics builds quite well especially with Vigorous Recovery.

You can actually bind a key to “Turn character around” that spins you 180 degrees within a second.

Nerfality [NERF]

Withdraw

in Thief

Posted by: Brassnautilus.2941

Brassnautilus.2941

withdraw and roll for init go with facing of your avatar, not the facing of your view.
Coming out of stun spamming withdraw can end badly, specially since it does not break stun…

Maybe make withdraw a break stun? Perhaps that would increase its popularity and take away from hide in shadow. Less complains on stealth is what we want right?

Withdraw

in Thief

Posted by: grometsc.2375

grometsc.2375

withdraw and roll for init go with facing of your avatar, not the facing of your view.
Coming out of stun spamming withdraw can end badly, specially since it does not break stun…

Maybe make withdraw a break stun? Perhaps that would increase its popularity and take away from hide in shadow. Less complains on stealth is what we want right?

Popular or not (I run it over HIS anyday), none of our heals break stuns, and they shouldnt, we have stun breakers available in our utility spells. Each heal serves a purpose, and imho work nicely when you compare them.

I like WD like it is, and can easily control the direction I want it to send me

Withdraw

in Thief

Calae.1738

I once took my nephew (?) to a science show, and amongst other funny stuff, there was this bycicle that used those handlebars, only they were working “normal”. It was hilarious watching the 6 year old trying to veer right and going left all the time, with the following tumbles. However, even this six year old kid got the hang of it. The OP is less capable than this kid. Pathetic. And, guys, its a skill. Not a dodge. If it worked like a dodge, it would be less visible to opponents he was infact healing, not dodging. When i see someone using withdraw, i notice coz of this and the long distance traveled. I dont use head shot to interrupt it on these ppl, coz this heal is uninterruptible, for example. Maybe we need a moderator/dev coming here to clarify?

Are you dense? I am using the skill as a dodge already, along with everyone else. Do I really need to draw a picture to illustrate my point?

Withdraw

in Thief

Kasama.8941

You could also just make all target based skills work like this, so you never would have to aim with your mouse! But why remove all challenge from the skill? The fun part is learning how to use Withdraw to your advantage. This is where “skill” comes in. It’s the little things that makes a good player great.

-Alexander Pope

Withdraw

in Thief

Calae.1738

You could also just make all target based skills work like this, so you never would have to aim with your mouse! But why remove all challenge from the skill? The fun part is learning how to use Withdraw to your advantage. This is where “skill” comes in. It’s the little things that makes a good player great.

If you’re old enough, you might remember Quake.

Quake use to have a movement manuver called strafe jumping. It was a bug in the game code that players learned how to exploit in order to move faster. It later became a skill that separated the men from the boys. The designers desided to remove it in the early developement on Quake 3 Arena and there was an outcry from the fans so large you could hear it from the other side of the world.

The designers argued that this movement manuver was not intended. It broke immersion and was unintended design. The fans argument was that the skill when mastered, created a skill gap between players and enhanced competitve play. The designers decided to keep it in the game.

I understand your point of view. You mastered a new skill and you think that this skill makes you a better player. Although that may be true, it doesn’t mean that this skill can’t be made better. Skilled play is still required and I would argue that it makes the game even more skillful than before.

Withdraw

in Thief

Kasama.8941

Quake use to have a movement manuver called strafe jumping. It was a bug in the game code that players learned how to exploit in order to move faster. It later became a skill that separated the men from the boys. The designers desided to remove it in the early developement on Quake 3 Arena and there was an outcry from the fans so large you could hear it from the other side of the world.

The designers argued that this movement manuver was not intended. It broke immersion and was unintended design. The fans argument was that the skill when mastered, created a skill gap between players and enhanced competitve play. The designers decided to keep it in the game.

I understand your point of view. You mastered a new skill and you think that this skill makes you a better player. Although that may be true, it doesn’t mean that this skill can’t be made better. Skilled play is still required and I would argue that it makes the game even more skillful than before.

That’s a total moot comparison, as Withdraw is in no way game breaking. You completely missed my point. Learning how to utilize Withdraw is rather easy on it’s own, as several people have said in this topic already, but together with everything ells you have to do as a Thief, it becomes becomes part of a larger whole. It’s the little things that makes the difference. If Withdraw was just a dodge skill with a heal attached, then there wouldn’t be much reason for it to be a skill. Then it might as well just be a trait that says “Heal whenever you dodge. Cures immobilized, chilled, and crippled”. There needs to be some form of difficulty attached some places. That’s also why you have target based skills, next to auto attack skills.

-Alexander Pope

Withdraw

in Thief

Calae.1738

That’s a total moot comparison, as Withdraw is in no way game breaking. You completely missed my point. Learning how to utilize Withdraw is rather easy on it’s own, as several people have said in this topic already, but together with everything ells you have to do as a Thief, it becomes becomes part of a larger whole. It’s the little things that makes the difference. If Withdraw was just a dodge skill with a heal attached, then there wouldn’t be much reason for it to be a skill. Then it might as well just be a trait that says “Heal whenever you dodge. Cures immobilized, chilled, and crippled”. There needs to be some form of difficulty attached some places. That’s also why you have target based skills, next to auto attack skills.

You think turning your camera in the opposite direction of where you want to dodge takes skill? That’s almost as stupid as asking someone to learn how to drive a car that turns left when steering right. The guy is going to look at you like your from another planet.

(edited by Calae.1738)

Withdraw

in Thief

Eduardo.4675

It doesnt take skill? what is your problem then? you need to be spoonfed all the way? you want it the easy way, thats all. “hey, anet, let the game play itself for me plz, while i eat these tacos”. And saying “everyone uses withdraw as a dodge” its ridiculous. I use it as a heal and a immo remover. I ocasionally also use it when fighting eles to remove the aura chills. Never use it as a simple dodge. And you kittening look like Alf.

Withdraw

in Thief

Posted by: Laika.8795

Laika.8795

Withdraw: This ability now scales 20% better with healing power. Base healing per level has increased by 10%.

Yay! Expect more people rolling backwards!

Has always been my goto heal, just got better.

Withdraw

in Thief

Posted by: Bassman.9245

Bassman.9245

the answer is pretty simple: because u can’t turn while immobilized

Withdraw

in Thief

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

Because the skill was designed fully as a get away, and not as an offensive skill.

/thread.

Withdraw

in Thief

Posted by: Verisuvalise.3615

Verisuvalise.3615

I like how everyone who disagrees with you must not be ‘smart’.

Regardless. We, as thieves, have the same base dodges as any other class — any direction, specified distance, etc.

Apart from that, SB 5 slot is a spammable shadowstep to any location in range that costs a flexible resource.
We also have raw shadowstep.
Our melee specs also have psuedo-shadowsteps that teleport us to our targets (Shadow Shot, Infiltrators Strike, and I guess Heartseeker, kind of)

All of these abilities let us travel in any direction we want (or are able to).

There are lots of them.

Apart from that, we have 2 ‘disengage’ style spells — Withdraw, which also restores Health, and ‘Roll for Initiative’ which restores initiative.

The shadowsteps are given to us as straight utilities. You don’t have to tie a heal or resource regen to a shadowstep to make it useful — it’s already incredibly useful.

Similarly, the ‘disengage’ type abilities DO need these tie-ins because they are, essentially, pidgeon-holed into being used as escapes and thus, as evasive, hyper-mobile high damage dealers, are less directly useful to us than an ability that can teleport us anywhere we want within x00 yards.

However, since these ‘diengage’ type abilities ARE capable of being used to move us around a battlefield similar to how a shadowstep might, but are still tied to more beneficial spells that the easier-to-use shadowsteps dont provide, a theoretical ‘skill-threshold’ is set before these abilities are maximized.

You haven’t reached that threshold, and thus find the abilities less useful.

Withdraw

in Thief

Eduardo.4675

I like how everyone who disagrees with you must not be ‘smart’.

Regardless. We, as thieves, have the same base dodges as any other class — any direction, specified distance, etc.

Apart from that, SB 5 slot is a spammable shadowstep to any location in range that costs a flexible resource.
We also have raw shadowstep.
Our melee specs also have psuedo-shadowsteps that teleport us to our targets (Shadow Shot, Infiltrators Strike, and I guess Heartseeker, kind of)

All of these abilities let us travel in any direction we want (or are able to).

There are lots of them.

Apart from that, we have 2 ‘disengage’ style spells — Withdraw, which also restores Health, and ‘Roll for Initiative’ which restores initiative.

The shadowsteps are given to us as straight utilities. You don’t have to tie a heal or resource regen to a shadowstep to make it useful — it’s already incredibly useful.

Similarly, the ‘disengage’ type abilities DO need these tie-ins because they are, essentially, pidgeon-holed into being used as escapes and thus, as evasive, hyper-mobile high damage dealers, are less directly useful to us than an ability that can teleport us anywhere we want within x00 yards.

However, since these ‘diengage’ type abilities ARE capable of being used to move us around a battlefield similar to how a shadowstep might, but are still tied to more beneficial spells that the easier-to-use shadowsteps dont provide, a theoretical ‘skill-threshold’ is set before these abilities are maximized.

You haven’t reached that threshold, and thus find the abilities less useful.

^ In others words, OP: Learn to Play.

Withdraw

in Thief

Posted by: ComeAndSee.1356

ComeAndSee.1356

Withdraw looks very attractive now, but Hide in Shadows is still better for the condition removal and stealth.

Sha Nari – 80 Guardian (http://bit.ly/12RNvtK)
Lorella Windrunner – 80 Thief
Shayera Nightfall – 80 Mesmer

Withdraw

in Thief

Calae.1738

Except you guys forgot the most important part of my point.

I don’t use Withdraw exclusively as an escape.

I use it as an extra dodge, gap closer and immobilize break.

rolls eyes

(edited by Calae.1738)

Withdraw

in Thief

Posted by: iNaddict.8021

iNaddict.8021

Withdraw should have a area targetted shadowstep mechanic…

that would be awesome.. and it would make me consider to use it.

Withdraw

in Thief

Posted by: grubnick.7849

grubnick.7849

Withdraw should have a area targetted shadowstep mechanic…

that would be awesome.. and it would make me consider to use it.

Withdraw is fine as it is. It is instant cast which makes it the fastest thief heal. The instant cast combined with the dodge are a life saver more often that you would think. Another benefit is the short cooldown, so I’m not afraid to use it often.

The other heals have their uses but withdraw has its advantages.

Thief main plus a few alts – Sanctum of Rall

Withdraw

in Thief

Posted by: LieutenantGoogle.7326

LieutenantGoogle.7326

with that logic shouldn’t ele staff fire and updraft roll be a targeted dodge as well rather than always backwards? Engineers rocketboots also?

lv80 with skills fully unlocked, warrior, elementalist and engineer
lv80 Necromancer, all professional skills unlocked, working on the final norn elite skills.

Withdraw

in Thief

Posted by: iNaddict.8021

iNaddict.8021

with that logic shouldn’t ele staff fire and updraft roll be a targeted dodge as well rather than always backwards? Engineers rocketboots also?

diff skill.. and they are welcomed to be different.. i dont mind either way,
but we are discussing withdraw are we not?

Withdraw

in Thief

Calae.1738

If I was the designer that’s how I would have designed it. A dodge move that only moves in one direction doesn’t make any sense. The reality is that you can dodge in any direction; the only thing is that you have to face the opposite direction of where you want to go.

There’s a reason why we build things to be less confusing. We want many people to understand how to use it (low skill floor). Our ability to master the skill and use it in spectacular ways is what differentiates us from inexperienced players (high skill ceiling).

Withdraw

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

You can just keybind “About Face” and hit that then Withdraw if you want to go 180.

There is nothing wrong with this skill.

If you can do stuff like that then that’s all the more reason to allow withdraw to dodge-roll in the direction of your choice.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.