Worst build but most fun?

in Thief

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Let me preface this by saying I’m a very casual player and stick with PvE for now. I’m also what most would call a ‘newbie’; only playing about 3 weeks. I just rolled a thief I decided I would actually play.

Anyway, since I still hang out in what most people would call the ‘noob’ area I have found that a lot of it is rather easy. I’m not complaining but I thought I would use a build that most would consider a bad idea to make a challenge.

I took on pp/sb which I nickname my Matrix build because it looks pretty cool to drop in a AOE and the charge in pistols blazing while strafing and dodging. So I have found it rather fun. Have I picked the absolute worst thief build or are there more that might be fun in PvE as well?

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

in Thief

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

The absolute worst thief build is completely naked and 0/0/0/0/0 traits. Hope this helps.

in Thief

JustTrogdor.7892

The absolute worst thief build is completely naked and 0/0/0/0/0 traits. Hope this helps.

LOL I knew that was coming and should have made a disclaimer. I’ve already tried topless PvE just for screen shots. It looks even cooler with my Matrix build

The Burninator

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

:)

My build is s/p p/p 0/20/0/30/20. I have plenty of initiative gain and caltrop dodge just in case I am about to get overwhelmed in which case i dodge through the AI zerg a few times and rip reduce their numbers with Unload. The ini gain is to allow me to chain Pistol Whip almost infinitely combined with signet of malice for near constant healing.

I balanced my stats ~1700 across the board. Not exactly the worst but pretty effective in PvE if you know what you are doing.

in Thief

JustTrogdor.7892

:)

My build is s/p p/p 0/20/0/30/20. I have plenty of initiative gain and caltrop dodge just in case I am about to get overwhelmed in which case i dodge through the AI zerg a few times and rip reduce their numbers with Unload. The ini gain is to allow me to chain Pistol Whip almost infinitely combined with signet of malice for near constant healing.

I balanced my stats ~1700 across the board. Not exactly the worst but pretty effective in PvE if you know what you are doing.

I was thinking about the same thing 0/20/0/30/20 as well. I have yet to get close enough in level to go fully that way yet so I’ll probably hit up Critical Strikes for pistol mastery and Trickery for the caltrops on dodge first. That sounds fun.

I realize that my Matrix build (I know that probably means something with engineers or a focus weapon) takes away all the advantage of stealth but I have not been playing long enough to figure that out anyway. I just know I’ve been reading debates about it.

The Burninator

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

+1.

I think P/D just looks awesome as kitten, but the skill setup is horribly flawed and you can really only play it as condition. It’s very fun for to use though with tanky cond builds (totally broken in Spvp cuz of 4s reveal). Even if you play it successfully, it still sucks and needs some remodeling to make all of it’s skills more universal and useful.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Thief

JustTrogdor.7892

I like the p/p/sb because the p/p unload looks cool when strafing or dodging back and then unloading. The sb I like to drop a choke gas bomb then weapon swap and kite and strafe with a dodge mixed in for ranged foes. I swap back to sb if I need a quick escape using infiltrator’s arrow. Heck a lot of the time if I am just running to a location I use the shadowstep just to hop along the road.

Keep in mind as a casual player I know I’m simply choosing this build because it looks cool to me for the most part. I don’t expect any party requests any time soon.

The Burninator

in Thief

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

I use P/P // SB on some dungeons where I dont want to get close.
Sometimes you don’t know how bad is the PUG and you just want to keep a safe distance from the MF geared, dmg-spec guardian.

in Thief

Posted by: Tulisin.6945

Tulisin.6945

Worst but most fun is P/nothing that only uses Body Shot pistols-at-dawn style.

in Thief

Posted by: Zeoli.3402

Zeoli.3402

I use p/p + s/d build with 0/30/0/15/25
I have about 77% crit chance and 55% crit dmg and 800 condi dmg.
Really fun, good in dungeons. At 50% of target health u get 45%ish dmg increase which puts your crits at 100% crit dmg and after fury 97% crit chance. Makes sword hit insanely hard and my pistols hit for about 9k. On top of that i drop caltrops on dodge so i can aoe bleed up to about 10 stacks and with the utility caltrops you get to 15 stacks aoe and cripples. Very fun

in Thief

Doggie.3184

You just made me realize Repeater does like 700 more DMG than unload. .-.

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

You just made me realize Repeater does like 700 more DMG than unload. .-.

Whut…..

I am going to test this.

in Thief

Posted by: RoterFuchs.9216

RoterFuchs.9216

Nope it does not.

in Thief

Doggie.3184

Just on the skill description. Unload says 230~ x8 and Repeater says 900~ x5

in Thief

Posted by: Tulisin.6945

Tulisin.6945

Just on the skill description. Unload says 230~ x8 and Repeater says 900~ x5

Like most skills, Repeater simply lists the total damage for the channel in the description. Unload is somewhat unique in that it lists per-hit damage in the description.

If everything actually functioned like you think Repeater does then (for instance) Pistol Whip would do like eleven times the damage that Backstab does, =P.

in Thief

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter