WvW 8 players vs 1 stealth thief

in Thief

Posted by: Nemo.6295

Nemo.6295

Are you sure this wasn’t in another game where stealth lasts until cancelled? Cause admitting that 8 guys got screwed by one thief in a game where chaining stealth is quite a feat espacially against more than 3 people, is kind of humiliating.

in Thief

Posted by: Clark Skinner.4902

Clark Skinner.4902

The thief really didn’t appear for any more than 1 second unless attacking, and even then it wasn’t for anymore than a couple of seconds. I know I was watching for him like a hawk and wasn’t even able to get an arrow shot off in short range to immobilise him from stealth he was popping so fast.

Shoot your arrow anyways, stealth doesn’t stop it from hitting. Time spent trying to lock on with tab target is time that could be spent simply killing the thief by attacking. Over-reliance on tab targeting is one of the reasons stealth is so effective in PvP.

A lot of those skills REQUIRE a target for it to even fire. But it goes into cooldown if you even attempt it. So you can’t just mash a button as it will leave you with no skills to use for when he does appear. When cooldowns are 30-45 seconds you have to use them judiciously.

in Thief

Posted by: Raine Akrune.8416

Raine Akrune.8416

This thief up against a guild party + some pugs.

It lasted for like 6 minutes and we just could not kill the thief because of stealth.

I have asked on here about how to deal with stealth thieves before and all people said was “use AoE”. Well I’m an ele and I put down everything I could all over the place, but the damage wasn’t enough to get him lower to 50% health (with the help of the other 7).

It was fairly ridiculous. Like this player was superman and we were the goons in striped shirts he was making fools of.

Eventually they chased him down as he ran and I let them because I realized there was more important stuff to do in WvW than make a kill. Eventually they killed him because of the XP pop up.

I can’t imagine this is what the designers had in mind when designing the class.

I’ve seen warriors fight 10 people solo and walk away at full health. I’ve seen mesmers lead groups on a merry chase to their own greedy doom. Thieves are not the only ones capable of winning against the numbers.

Asuran Master Thief/Charr Paladin Extraordinaire
Khan of The Burning Eden [TBE]
www.theburningeden.com

in Thief

Posted by: Sifu.6527

Sifu.6527

I saw something similar last night. The thief took down a group of maybe 5 – I was around, ressing, and being focused at times and I legged it when too many others drifted over from his team. It was the group not really knowing what was going on and culling.

The thief really didn’t appear for any more than 1 second unless attacking, and even then it wasn’t for anymore than a couple of seconds. I know I was watching for him like a hawk and wasn’t even able to get an arrow shot off in short range to immobilise him from stealth he was popping so fast, but ey. I’m sure this annoys players no end, it is a bug however and does occur and its the reason why this can happen. Experienced players can deal with it but it don’t make it right.

First, it is not bug – it is a learn to play issue. I’m not going to tell you how to counter it since there are countless number of topics on that.

Experienced players don’t deal with it, they counter it. As said above, a learn to play issue.

- From a non-thief player.

in Thief

Posted by: Boomstin.3460

Boomstin.3460

I saw something similar last night. The thief took down a group of maybe 5 – I was around, ressing, and being focused at times and I legged it when too many others drifted over from his team. It was the group not really knowing what was going on and culling.

The thief really didn’t appear for any more than 1 second unless attacking, and even then it wasn’t for anymore than a couple of seconds. I know I was watching for him like a hawk and wasn’t even able to get an arrow shot off in short range to immobilise him from stealth he was popping so fast, but ey. I’m sure this annoys players no end, it is a bug however and does occur and its the reason why this can happen. Experienced players can deal with it but it don’t make it right.

First, it is not bug – it is a learn to play issue. I’m not going to tell you how to counter it since there are countless number of topics on that.

Experienced players don’t deal with it, they counter it. As said above, a learn to play issue.

- From a non-thief player.

So culling is now a l2p issue? This is getting better by the minute. Please, carry on.

All is vain.

in Thief

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

The number 1 flaw in all these threads I keep seeing is people see blood want blood. They then get upset when they can’t have blood.

Your situation basically sounds like you had a group of 8 (some had to not be very skilled) and you feel as though you should be able to kill every profession that rolls up on you.

I doubt this guy killed people fast enough that even if they did down someone you couldn’t rez them. There is no way a p/d thief killed that many ppl unless you had the hero that leaves the group and chases. I love those guys

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

in Thief

Clark Skinner.4902

^ You didn’t even read the initial post did you?

But for the record, yes, I do think a group of 8 should win against a single equally powered player every time no matter what class, and if they can’t, there is something wrong there.

in Thief

Posted by: Lockon.5312

Lockon.5312

8 people against a single thief and under 10mins he was able to live? I want to ridicule you but that would be most unappropriate given that you even took the liberty of posting here so I will give proper answers.

Reason as to why (and possibly) 8 players can’t kill a single thief.

1. Your builds
- Your builds as well as the rest of the 7 players aren’t attuned to WvW compared to that thief.

2. The thief isn’t there to kill.
- I have 2 armor sets for my thief. First one is berserker. The second one is knight. The knight set was intended for fractals but apparently its working with WvW with traits running at 0/0/30/20/20 which prioritizes survivability and will last a battle for a long duration combo-ed with Bowls of Orrian Truffle and Meat Stew which gives the user 100% chance to gain might on dodge and 40% endurance refill rate.

3. You have not experience killing a lot of thieves in your gameplay in Guild Wars 2.

I have a thief and a guardian both at peak level but whenever I use my guardian I know how to eliminate a thief. Not because I know how a thief thinks but rather I know how to use my skills in conjuction as to how will my opponents think if my hits land hard. You just don’t go push a button to activate a skill. Each skill you have may it be staff or greatsword or dagger or rifle etc. has its own capability to draw out and eliminate a threat. Its up to you to know how to. Some say it can be taught but in my personal opinion, experience is still the best teacher.

in Thief

Posted by: Bast Bow.2958

Bast Bow.2958

anyone who has played a decent amount of wvsw knows thiefs are rediculously overpowered when traited well, how long they can go stealth to get away from a fight when they feel a little heat, or get into a fight.. It’s really rediculous and other professions can’t do much about it, which give thieves always the upper hand at first. And no, with a little bit of thinking a thief knows that the other player will throw aoe at them first so they can deal with that easily too. And then still, aoe is also a specific area and has to be guessed by the other player. Other classes don’t have such an incredicly OP way of getting into a fight or out.
Also, thieves can still do a lot of damage while being stealthed. It’s not like they made it more even by somehow arranging the traits so permastealth doesn’t allow a lot of damage output…
U guys are lucky.

greets,
some ranger that doesn’t want to level another prof to 80 to have some real influence in wvsw

in Thief

Posted by: quercus.9261

quercus.9261

to the OP: I see this stuff all the time. One P/D conditions type of thief griefing a group. Best to just ignore them zerg up and move on. They are playing the game in god-mode.

The worst of it is this is the type of IMBA class that attracts the min/maxers that know the mechanics of the game inside-out. Really playing WvW as something other than a thief /DD ele is sub-optimal right now.

balancing patch is coming on the 14th so tough it out until then.

edit – LOL I just saw that the OP is an ele. Did you know that the DD bunker ele is the most OP WvW class in the game right now and the only thing that thieves fear? Do some research on the ele forums and respec

(edited by quercus.9261)

in Thief

oZii.2864

^ You didn’t even read the initial post did you?

But for the record, yes, I do think a group of 8 should win against a single equally powered player every time no matter what class, and if they can’t, there is something wrong there.

I read the initial post. Your flawed logic is thinking you should win! *Reading your post win=kill * so you chased a thief around because you wanted the blood.

Thats the problem is everyone sees a kill and tunnel vision ensues. There must be a victor I suppose. Myself I see making the person run away when they are low health as a win but thats just me. I rarely chase unless I know I can get them. You can’t really chase a thief.

Take a d/d bunker ele in WvW they will run up in a group of 5 or 6 in plane sight because they know they can get away most of the time if things go sour. The d/d ele can kill all 5 or 6 of those players if they arent good and its in plane sight no hiding no stealth right there in your face.

Now a d/d ele runs up to 2 experienced players he can get roflstomped. The same can be said about many classes.

{Thief}

in Thief

oZii.2864

to the OP: I see this stuff all the time. One P/D conditions type of thief griefing a group. Best to just ignore them zerg up and move on. They are playing the game in god-mode.

The worst of it is this is the type of IMBA class that attracts the min/maxers that know the mechanics of the game inside-out. Really playing WvW as something other than a thief /DD ele is sub-optimal right now.

edit – LOL I just saw that the OP is an ele. Did you know that the DD bunker ele is the most OP WvW class in the game right now and the only thing that thieves fear? Do some research on the ele forums and respec

Here is the problem with many peoples WvW logic. The bold above says everyone should be rolling thief and ele in WvW to be optimal.

I have 3 choices to put on a Ram while I attempt to seige Stone Mist which has defenders. A p/d thief, bunker ele, bunker guardian. I think Ill go with the guardian.

Posts like this make no sense if we are being honest here.

WvW is team game (see first bold) move with zerg do something useful like supply, or build siege, get camps etc. That what WvW is about not griefing.

Second bold is its imba, but would’t it be imba if WvW was about griefing, duels, and 1vX?

If WvW was a deathmatch then maybe some of these complaints would have merit but its not a deathmatch. You can’t have it both ways the objective of the game mode is points and points don’t tally from killing ppl in 1vX’s.

Whats imba is that the group gets distracted because they switched their mind into second bold and stopped thinking about the objective. Thats what needs a fix WvW mentality for the complainers.

If I’m roaming my thief Im looking to grief/troll people. They might be headed to revale to pick up that 15 supply buff their guild put down. If I hold up a group of 5 and or 6 for 5 – 10 minutes I did my job. What it takes is the bigger person in that group to say lets leave the thief and get this supply.

A thief trolling a group of people is the same as sending a small group to spawn camp. If you send a group of 5 to spawn camp you are going to have people that know there are 2 side exits but wont take them why? They want that blood

{Thief}

(edited by oZii.2864)

in Thief

Posted by: Stiv.1820

Stiv.1820

Was this a TC Thief in the EB after midnight or so? I remember messimg with a CD group and having a ele cast meteor shower. I also leveled up from a event Imust have had something to do with previously and that popped me up from downed. 2nd time that’s happed to me lol

in Thief

Clark Skinner.4902

I have heard of this build but I don’t enjoy the skill set with daggers. When I practiced it a long time ago, I found it to be too dangerous being that close, but I was pretty noobish then. I see they have fixed a lot of D/D skills since then in the patch notes.

Skipping over whatever Ozii said because he didn’t read the first post and started out abraisive.

Stiv, I don’t remember the time, but I made this topic not long after that. It says “3 days” though, which doesn’t help. We’re against TC this week, so I would guess it wasn’t you because we weren’t fighting them last week.

in Thief

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

Using Tab will target 80% of the time despite culling issues. As a thief, I’ve also noticed ranger arrows will continue to target and hit me a second or two into stealth. Don’t stop firing!

in Thief

Clark Skinner.4902

But that ranger attack is one long string of 1 attack, right? It baffles me that a weapon that is realistically the hardest to target of all weapons is an auto-curve-to-definitely-hit weapon. Especially at the speed at which these arrows fire off.

Tab only works if you’re facing where the thief reappears, and are often turning the camera to look everywhere to catch that tiny window to attempt a target skill. And often the targetting will switch to a freakin moa in the distance that is more of a hinderance when your true target does reappear.

in Thief

Posted by: Braxxus.2904

Braxxus.2904

I’ve seen warriors fight 10 people solo and walk away at full health.

Bull Kitten kitten kitten you kitten have.
The warrior has the worst 1vX sustainability and functionality in the game. There’s mountains of vids of thieves doing this, and none for warriors where it’s 1v4, 1v5, 1vX and winning. You sir, are rediculous.

Blackwater Vanguard
Yaks Bend

in Thief

Posted by: KirinDave.6451

KirinDave.6451

Shoot your arrow anyways, stealth doesn’t stop it from hitting. Time spent trying to lock on with tab target is time that could be spent simply killing the thief by attacking.

Many, many ranged skills do not fire properly when a target is not selected. They tend to fire at an angle dictated by the current camera angle, and since many people aim the camera slightly down they tend to impact the ground.

What’s more fun, several ranged skills (perhaps due to a bug) will not hit a stealthed target even if they are already in flight. The Necromancer’s Dark Path (which is useful against P/D thieves), for example, fails often against stealthed targets even if the channeling is complete.

in Thief

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

how do you deal with a steath theif strait easy stand in a pile =P he cant CnD with out taking dmg from auto attack. and if he attack from a range you auto root him gg

in Thief

Posted by: Gwalchgwn.1659

Gwalchgwn.1659

stealth is just overpowered 3 seconds sure as the thief appears it takes 1-2 seconds to spot him enough time to stealth again so you basically have 1 second to shoot a stun/interrupt/immobilize and hope it hits him fast enough before he vanishes. so yea using 3 seconds cooldown as excuse isnt gonna fool anyone. specially when your stealth can remove conditions and regen. thief goes invi with 40% health pops up with 80%-100%.

Wrong, you have 3 seconds to hit him. You can’t see him, but you can target him and hit him. If you have “show enemy name” tagged you can even see his name when targetting him.

Whenever I see a thief stealth, I create a small distance. Wait ’till I see black smoke and click on it. Bam, Thief is locked, Ctrl+T, thief is targetted. Party attacks him.

Also, the last line, that thief just used his healing skill. You now have 27 seconds the time to kill him. Use it.

Ring of Fire
GL – “The Afternoon’s Watch” [OATH]

in Thief

Posted by: KirinDave.6451

KirinDave.6451

Whenever I see a thief stealth, I create a small distance. Wait ’till I see black smoke and click on it. Bam, Thief is locked, Ctrl+T, thief is targetted. Party attacks him.

People tell me this is possible, but I’ve tried over and over unsuccessfully. I wonder if it’s yet another UI/clicktarget bug in the mac beta.

in Thief

Posted by: BlueprintLFE.2358

BlueprintLFE.2358

I do this on my Ele all the time as a tank staff build. 10 in earth, 30 water, 30 arcane. Three cantrips, etc. I have like 20sec Protection buffs, and heal a “kitten” ton.

Granted, all it takes is a Mesmer to Mind Wrack crash me, or a couple Thieves to drop a brick on their 2 key, and I start having trouble… But yeah.

This is quite funny because all of your posts are in the thieves forums and none in the ele forums, also even funnier is how are you doing this with a staff as a staff has 0 mobility minus a little swiftness? Not only this but 20 second protection buffs do not exist on an ele I don’t care how you trait.

It’s extremely sad that you have to lie about a class you don’t even play to try and get it nerfed. Pretty pathetic.

USMC 1st Battalion 10th Marines
Guardian-Blueprinted, Warrior- Grizzilli
[JCM] Guild: Ehmry Bay WvW

in Thief

Posted by: ryodanspider.4180

ryodanspider.4180

From all this posts all I am getting is some people complain about thief, thief player counter-complain. So, all in all apparently the thief profession is fine and balance, we who made the wrong choice need to learn to play a thief even if you dislike the profession and you don’t find it fun. Anyways, I am done counter-complaining the counter complainer. Lets have some fun.

(edited by ryodanspider.4180)

in Thief

Posted by: Braxxus.2904

Braxxus.2904

From all this posts all I am getting is some people complain about thief, thief player counter-complain. So, all in all apparently the thief profession is fine and balance, we who made the wrong choice need to learn to play a thief even if you dislike the profession and you don’t find it fun. Anyways, I am done counter-complaining the counter complainer. Lets have some fun.

Yup. I’ve switched to my thief and the epic feeling of being unstoppable in WvW and SPvP is a refreshing switch from actually having to try. I guess it really is a matter of L2ReRoll

Blackwater Vanguard
Yaks Bend

in Thief

Posted by: Tulisin.6945

Tulisin.6945

Shoot your arrow anyways, stealth doesn’t stop it from hitting. Time spent trying to lock on with tab target is time that could be spent simply killing the thief by attacking.

Many, many ranged skills do not fire properly when a target is not selected. They tend to fire at an angle dictated by the current camera angle, and since many people aim the camera slightly down they tend to impact the ground.

That is how projectile firing works in GW2, imagine a crosshair in the center of your screen. It isn’t a bug, that is how you aim skills when you’re no longer being reliant on locked tab-targets. The less reliant you are on aim-assist from tab targeting, the more effective you’ll be against stealth.

(edited by Tulisin.6945)