WvW Gear for Thief

WvW Gear for Thief

in Thief

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

Where do you get decent gear comparable to PvP gear for thief?

I enjoy playing thief. I am heavy venom spec with spider venom, basilisk, and devour. D/D and SB.

I play PvP cause I like the gear you get and everyone seems pretty equal gear wise.

However, when I go to WvW I get owned by everything cause my gear is terrible. I have no clue where to get good gear. I have 60+k karma points and some badges of honor etc.

I am level 80 and have 1 exotic dagger but it kind of sucks and an exotic SB.

How/Where do you find gear for WvW? I’d like life leech weapons if possible like I have in pvp.

Where is best merchant to spend karma points?

Are there any gear guides out there? I am totally clueless when it comes to gear in this game. All I know is that legendaries have slightly better stats than exotic and look cooler but are much harder to get. I’d be happy with exotic.

Just another noob thief…

WvW Gear for Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Tommynator.4928

Tommynator.4928

Hay there,
since all exotic 80lvl gear have the same stats (dmg for weps, def for armor) I found myself easier to craft armor and weapons with desired bonuses and use rune of your choice. If you dont like the look of it just buy pvp gear or karma gear and apply it to your crafted armor/wep.
There are NO PvP bonuses, its all about the look. Legendary items are just like that. Stats like 80lvl exotic just the look is kitten!
The only problem is when you want to switch e.g. critical dmg build to condition dmg build you have to craft yourself a new set of armor and weapon.
Karma and badge gear is just not with the right stats at last for the most thives builds so use it only for remodeling.

WvW Gear for Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Yewkon.5802

Yewkon.5802

legendaries have the same stats as exotics

just search the trading post for level 80 exotic armor
superior runes and sigils are for the weapons and armor. do a search on the TP for those as well.

This site has the armors, skins, and stats

http://www.gw2armor.com/

WvW Gear for Thief

in Thief

swinsk.6410

So either craft my own gear, or buy gear off the TP and apply runes to them from TP ? For looks use gw2armor.com and “transmute” them?

That the basic idea?

Just another noob thief…

WvW Gear for Thief

in Thief

Yewkon.5802

yup! That’s all there is to it

WvW Gear for Thief

in Thief

swinsk.6410

How do you transmute items? Is it possible to buy dungeon gear on tp?

Just another noob thief…

WvW Gear for Thief

in Thief

Yewkon.5802

you need a transmution stone, you can get these from map completions, black lion chests (I think) or buy them from the gem store

there are two types – one for <level 80 items and one for level 80 items
you double click the stone, drag and drop two pieces of the same type of armor into the windows (they cant be equiped), there are 3 ‘subwindows’ in the stone window. the top one is the name of the item (this is also the skin) so click the name/skin you want and it will go to the center of the stone windows, next one is the base stats, this time click the high level item with the stats, and the 3rd window is the upgrade (runes/gems) again pick the high level/better item

click transmute and you’ll get the new skin with all the good stats of the other item

I dont think you can buy any gear but crafted on the TP

WvW Gear for Thief

in Thief

swinsk.6410

Thanks. I’ll try this stuff out later tonight.

Just another noob thief…

WvW Gear for Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Kintari.4172

Kintari.4172

For WvW, I run a mix of crafted berserker’s and the power/vit/toughness karma gear from Orr temples. I recommend.

Kintari | Rintaki | Rin Taki | Kian Tir | Zahinn | Lith <<< Blackgate >>>

WvW Gear for Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Kardis.5132

Kardis.5132

Something that noone ever talks about is using generic orbs in your armor. For example, I use Ruby Orbs in my armor to great effect. They give good stats (+20 primary, +15, +15 or +20, +2% crit damage, +15) and are pretty cheap. BE CAREFUL about the orbs you buy, though. Ruby Orbs are ok. Exquisite Ruby Orb of ______ is not at all ok. Yellow gems only!

Video Link: http://youtu.be/6AXcjrTg-4g
In that video I lose a bit, but the series as a whole shows you the idea of a highly mobile thief that can engage and disengage at will. Hope you like it!

Marfa Noonshell – Level 80 Thief
youtube.com/kardis – Solo Thief vids, other games
I like it when people criticize me, but please make them legitimate, meaningful criticisms.

WvW Gear for Thief

in Thief

swinsk.6410

I give up on upgrading armor. It’s too confusing in this game. I spent like 5g on random junk and nothing worked right. I have no clue how to get use of all Rune properties. I tried making new armor in pvp and it looked even more kitten than my starting gear. This game and gear seems kind of stupid to me. Everything else is great.

Just another noob thief…

WvW Gear for Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Minx.7521

Minx.7521

GEAR: I bought all 6 pieces of my gear from karma vendors. Mix and match to get your desired thief effect: glass cannon or really glass cannon.

RUNE: Buy SUPERIOR runes only. get SIX of them. Attach runes to karma vendor armor pieces.

WvW Gear for Thief

in Thief

Posted by: edamber.1549

edamber.1549

I give up on upgrading armor. It’s too confusing in this game. I spent like 5g on random junk and nothing worked right. I have no clue how to get use of all Rune properties. I tried making new armor in pvp and it looked even more kitten than my starting gear. This game and gear seems kind of stupid to me. Everything else is great.

You have to spend some cash on Fine transmutation stones, trust me. I really LOVE the green berserker lvl 80 look, try it out. Duelist has some really nice looks too.

As for stats, crafted is the best for us thiefs. Mix and match how you want, for power crit use a mix of valkyrie, berserker and knight. For condition go full Carrion.

Most popular skins for thief is, human cultural tier 2, duelist gear and the whispers hood from order of whispers. Reply to me if you need more guidance.

WvW Gear for Thief

in Thief

Posted by: edamber.1549

edamber.1549

GEAR: I bought all 6 pieces of my gear from karma vendors. Mix and match to get your desired thief effect: glass cannon or really glass cannon.

RUNE: Buy SUPERIOR runes only. get SIX of them. Attach runes to karma vendor armor pieces.

I feel the exotic orbs being more flexible, any reason behind using runes?

WvW Gear for Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Oldgrimm.8521

Oldgrimm.8521

just asking,

why is it always karma vendors when talking about power/ toughness/ vit stat?

isnt it that ascalon gears share the same stat with power/ toughness/ vit stat?

WvW Gear for Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Tommynator.4928

Tommynator.4928

I feel the exotic orbs being more flexible, any reason behind using runes?

Its all about build.. Orb doesnt give you extra abilities or efects affecting your abilities.
e.g gang-nam style thief:
Thief guild + thief trap + ogre rune = You + 4 summons (3 thieves and rock dog) to fight for you. I found it useful for spvp mainly tho.
My own strange hybrid crit damage build:
Berserker armor + Superior rune of scholar – +165 power, +8% crit.damage, +10% damage while health is above 90% (with this setup I have crit.damage value 100 !! check yours in character stats)

What is the benefit from the orb again pls ? :-) And you can combine runes like 2+4, 3+3 etc. with orbs if you so desire. Its up to you and your build.