WvW Pistol Ricochet Build?

in Thief

Posted by: Valvador.4291

Valvador.4291

Hey guys. Most of what I do in GW2 is run WvW with a guild and I’ve been trying to adopt my thief to it. I have a necro that is all set but I’m trying to figure out a good way to integrate my thief.

Melee backstab sucks because by the time you get through the AOE to get one hit you’re stuck evading for the rest of the fight doing no damage. With Venom sharing I found very marginal use when the party grows much larger than 5.

Now I’m trying this
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQNAqaVlYmiPHcy9E/5ExODgCAPFAQs9MAAAA

With Ricochet when I unload I frequently crit up to 6000 and frequently bounce over half the damage. With high initiative regen and high initiative at the start I can do massive damage by unloading multiple times in a row. Basilisk and Withdraw are good combos with rune of Lyssa and when I am roaming I can switch out SB for P/D.

Thoughts?

Thief – [BanD]Valnilus
Necro – [BanD]Nighnus the Black
Yak’s Bend

in Thief

Posted by: Amos.8364

Amos.8364

I do the same thing with my thief. Run around WvW with a group of 20-30+ guildies. I use Ricochet and yesterday I added a Sigil of Fire to one of my pistols that procs an AOE flame burst. The sigil seems to proc pretty consistently when off cooldown thanks to unload and my crit %. Today I was hoping to spend some more time looking at the numbers.

However, I’m by no means a min/maxer, and I’m pretty new to the game. I just have a blast running with dual pistols and traiting for that. Adding in the sigil seems to add an extra AOE to the mix.

in Thief

Valvador.4291

I am no min maxed either unfortunately. I wonder if I can make a venom sharing version of this build, but I fear that I’ll lose some roaming power this way.

This build works amazingly well with Rune of Lyssa due to small cooldown of withdraw and basilisk venom.

Thief – [BanD]Valnilus
Yak’s Bend

in Thief

Posted by: blackgoat.5172

blackgoat.5172

What traits/Utilities are you using? the build you linked was only half filled out.

Káge – 80 Thief / Asháman – 80 Elementalist
Project Mayhem A multigaming, PVx social guild on Dragonbrand
Dragonbrand Community Forums

in Thief

Posted by: keenlam.4753

keenlam.4753

I run this build for laugh in WvW (yeah, not a serious min/maxer either), the idea is to be a glass-cannon as much as possible.
Link: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQRAqa4YlUm6OXcS4E/5Ex2DfCUe6pAsitTxVtKA-jUCBYLDimgAmsIQUBgJPFRjtMsIasqFYqSER1eDFRrGA-w

In zerg fight, I just sneak around and look for enemy below 50% health, pop 2 signets to get 10 stacks of might, and Unload can crit for 10k for all 8 hits, so unless they go true bunker, it’s an instant down when they eat the whole attack.

Before I rarely used Body Shot because why do that when u can just Unload again.
I welcome this new change because Body Shot now acts as a utility and can offer some offensive support in group fight, for example, instead of spamming Unload, I can spam Body Shot and let my team down my trapped target.

(edited by keenlam.4753)

in Thief

Valvador.4291

I run this build for laugh in WvW (yeah, not a serious min/maxer either), the idea is to be a glass-cannon as much as possible.
Link: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQRAqa4YlUm6OXcS4E/5Ex2DfCUe6pAsitTxVtKA-jUCBYLDimgAmsIQUBgJPFRjtMsIasqFYqSER1eDFRrGA-w

In zerg fight, I just sneak around and look for enemy below 50% health, pop 2 signets to get 10 stacks of might, and Unload can crit for 10k for all 8 hits, so unless they go true bunker, it’s an instant down when they eat the whole attack.

Before I rarely used Body Shot because why do that when u can just Unload again.
I welcome this new change because Body Shot now acts as a utility and can offer some offensive support in group fight, for example, instead of spamming Unload, I can spam Body Shot and let my team down my trapped target.

It’s not a bad P/P build overall. I can’t imagine a better one for WvW, and it still works well for roaming.

Thief – [BanD]Valnilus
Yak’s Bend

in Thief

Posted by: Cefiro.9372

Cefiro.9372

Loving the new changes, I roam with some Bleeding Hearts rangers, I CC and they drop them.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1oic60/thieferis_the_snare_king_thief_proof_of_concept/

in Thief

Posted by: Barfoi.9537

Barfoi.9537

With 10/30/0/0/30, I used to run Ricochet quite often, but more recently I’ve just focused on Bountiful Theft instead (w/ Thrill of the Crime). P/P is mainly single-target anyways, and boon-stealing/sharing helps both offensively and defensively (esp. against boon-heavy professions).

Thoughts?

Without 30 in CS, you’re missing a potential 20% damage increase, as well as the additional precision and crit-damage from it.

Putting points into Acro (or for others, SA) only “gimps” your damage in P/P. I put 10 in DA for Mug, and 30 in Trickery for Sleight — it turns Steal (21~ sec CD) into a “beast”. :-)

If your chosen utilities are what you’re using, then the Blinding Power and Shadow Refuge are also “gimping” your setup. They have more use for stealth-heavy builds.

in Thief

Valvador.4291

With 10/30/0/0/30, I used to run Ricochet quite often, but more recently I’ve just focused on Bountiful Theft instead (w/ Thrill of the Crime). P/P is mainly single-target anyways, and boon-stealing/sharing helps both offensively and defensively (esp. against boon-heavy professions).

Thoughts?

Without 30 in CS, you’re missing a potential 20% damage increase, as well as the additional precision and crit-damage from it.

Putting points into Acro (or for others, SA) only “gimps” your damage in P/P. I put 10 in DA for Mug, and 30 in Trickery for Sleight — it turns Steal (21~ sec CD) into a “beast”. :-)

If your chosen utilities are what you’re using, then the Blinding Power and Shadow Refuge are also “gimping” your setup. They have more use for stealth-heavy builds.

Hmm, I believe with a little bit of re-traiting you could turn this build into a Sword-Dagger build which is what I’m looking for at the moment for the ability to switch out of being pistols.

The potential 20% damage after 50% HP is replaced by the fact that if I stay above a certain level of initiative I’m always doing 10% more damage so it events out. The reason I wanted to go acrobatics is that I believe the constant ability to dodge is crucial.

Thief – [BanD]Valnilus
Yak’s Bend

in Thief

Posted by: Barfoi.9537

Barfoi.9537

The potential 20% damage after 50% HP is replaced by the fact that if I stay above a certain level of initiative I’m always doing 10% more damage so it events out.

With another 5 in CS, though, you get both — that doesn’t quite “even out”. ;P With another 5 in Trickery, you also get Lead Attacks. It’s not that reliable, but it’s a nice “freebie” when getting Sleight @ 30. If I auto-attack someone below 50% health, for a (bad) example, then it looks like in total they’d grant +43% damage. You do get Fluid Strikes, which is much more reliable than Lead Attacks, but that comes at a heavy cost to other traits.

The reason I wanted to go acrobatics is that I believe the constant ability to dodge is crucial

If you flip the scenario, and force your opponent to constantly dodge instead, then you’ll need to dodge much less often yourself. To compensate in situational circumstances, however, Bountiful Theft (w/ Sleight) does provide a 15sec Vigor every 21~ seconds, in addition to any boons it strips.