WvW Trapper Thief Build

WvW Trapper Thief Build

in Thief

Posted by: mompen.7952

mompen.7952

Hey.

I just wanted to present to you a semi-working build I’ve been trying in WvW solo roaming.

It’s mainly focused around traps and the Trapper Runes.

Without any further ado, here it is:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAqYVl0Mh2mYZTwvJw/EHMFFvACgBwfC5w6pPyPYwA-TVyCABQoEEgTAAOqKE++DvoPA5HBQTK/8RtGKOCAkCAmpRA-w

You may notice I don’t have any stunbreaks or shadow refuge.

The reasoning is pretty simple:

Dropping traps gives you stealth, regen health and remove conditions and gives you superspeed.
You’re pretty tanky as well, so you can stand a few blows.

Another neat thing is the trait: “Trappers Respite”, which lays down a needle trap every time you use a heal skill; Which is on lower cooldown thanks to trickster.
And this trait actually synergies with the Trapper Rune, meaning when you use Withdraw, you lay down a needle trap, and gain stealth plus superspeed.

You CAN change one trap for another utility, Tripwire for Shadow Refuge or something if you want Improv to kick in more often.

It’s a survivable build, and pretty easy to use and gain success on it.

Kenny Shayde/Ken Shadowpaw-Theef|Spiteful Sithis-Necro|Kennyneer-Engi|Mr Hex Appeal-Mesmer

(edited by mompen.7952)

WvW Trapper Thief Build

in Thief

Posted by: Cloudo.7315

Cloudo.7315

I run this build with d/p and caltrops instead of one of your traps for giggles. Ever killed 2-3+ ppl without ever leaving stealth. Its superdupermegafantastic cheese, but the fun of killing ppl in the middle of a zerg without them having any idea what hit them…

WvW Trapper Thief Build

in Thief

Posted by: DarknesSushi.5876

DarknesSushi.5876

really nice build man….i can just imagine it working with a trapper ranger and a mesmer/elementalist…..i will try some change, using venomous aura , skale venom over tripwire and caltrops over shadow trap, but ty alot man =]

(edited by DarknesSushi.5876)

WvW Trapper Thief Build

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

Yes I have been using almost exactly that build since before the changes.

This also works with P/p in a condition set since you have so much access to stealth you really do not need to CnD. This allows you to use Pressure strike to load on torment. When the enemy trapped you can use headshot for that interrupt. BASI is two more interrupts. You will get more torments on than from the shadowstrike off the p/d set. (3 stacks as opposed to two for each interrupt. Harder to time the interrupt but so very frustrating to an enemy when a skill interrupted AND they take on torment and you do it all at range)

Indeed I found in this build that putting steal down to 20 secs and getting that interrupt off daze helped reset skills faster with the improv using SOH.

(In WvW using headshot over and over against someone trying to stomp a downed teamember is very effective)

I am currently testing out trappers in a power build using P/P. While this might seem counterintuitive using a Condi runeset in a power build that stealth and speed invaluable and using UNLOAD with a strength sigil , might on Crit food and gaining that might from the traps and you will easily make up that lost power from might stacks. (I have easily gotten 20+ stacks after a shadow pursuit and this makes those unloads hurt)

Trappers are so very flexible as they boost a key aspect of our survival to the thief (stealth) without having to burn INI to do it and work better in many respects on ones utility bar then the other sources such as BP and SR.

(edited by babazhook.6805)

WvW Trapper Thief Build

in Thief

mompen.7952

I run this build with d/p and caltrops instead of one of your traps for giggles. Ever killed 2-3+ ppl without ever leaving stealth. Its superdupermegafantastic cheese, but the fun of killing ppl in the middle of a zerg without them having any idea what hit them…

Yes, it’s very cheese, but also so fun ;-) haven’t tried zerg diving tho, lol!

Kenny Shayde/Ken Shadowpaw-Theef|Spiteful Sithis-Necro|Kennyneer-Engi|Mr Hex Appeal-Mesmer

WvW Trapper Thief Build

in Thief

mompen.7952

really nice build man….i can just imagine it working with a trapper ranger and a mesmer/elementalist…..i will try some change, using venomous aura , skale venom over tripwire and caltrops over shadow trap, but ty alot man =]

No problem man. I’m not the first who have posted a build like this, but many of those builds were from before the June patch, and with the new trapper traits in deadly arts it’s pretty solid.

And yes, it’s just to change out some of the traps and traits for your liking.

WvW Trapper Thief Build

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

By the way Mompen in your own build you only have one venom. I would not use leeching venom. You will get more healing overall with Shadowprotector via the regen as this will be up near all the time or can take another stealth on steal with hidden thief.

WvW Trapper Thief Build

in Thief

mompen.7952

Yes I have been using almost exactly that build since before the changes.

This also works with P/p in a condition set since you have so much access to stealth you really do not need to CnD. This allows you to use Pressure strike to load on torment. When the enemy trapped you can use headshot for that interrupt. BASI is two more interrupts. You will get more torments on than from the shadowstrike off the p/d set. (3 stacks as opposed to two for each interrupt. Harder to time the interrupt but so very frustrating to an enemy when a skill interrupted AND they take on torment and you do it all at range)

Indeed I found in this build that putting steal down to 20 secs and getting that interrupt off daze helped reset skills faster with the improv using SOH.

This is interesting, will try out with P/P as well. All the traps giving you stealth rendering C&D more useless. True that.

I am currently testing out trappers in a power build using P/P. While this might seem counterintuitive using a Condi runeset in a power build that stealth and speed invaluable and using UNLOAD with a strength sigil , might on Crit food and gaining that might from the traps and you will easily make up that lost power from might stacks. (I have easily gotten 20+ stacks after a shadow pursuit and this makes those unloads hurt)

Trappers are so very flexible as they boost a key aspect of our survival to the thief (stealth) without having to burn INI to do it and work better in many respects on ones utility bar then the other sources such as BP and SR.

I was also tinkering about the idea of this runeset in a power setup actually, since the runes with access to so much stealth is invaluable.

Maybe something like this:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAqaVl0Mh2mYZTwvJw/EH8EFvEShRwHFZRVoPzBMAA-T1CEABcv/wHaD2SJITKnM4EAwi6KNpkpDdAAcIAe4IA4iKFkBQfBA-w

With 25 stacks of bloodlust and 5 stacks of might you are at 2851 power and 43,76% crit chance.

Only downside here is your HP maybe..

edit:

changed up a bit for more condi duration (since traps lay down some nice conditions and we do have some condi damage from the runes)

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAqaVl0Mh2mYZTwvJw/EH8EFvEChRwHFzZVoPzfIAA-TFDEABJ8AA4e/hP0GslSQDOBAMpkiF1VaS5SH6AA4QA8wRAwFVKIFgdDrA-w

(edited by mompen.7952)

WvW Trapper Thief Build

in Thief

mompen.7952

By the way Mompen in your own build you only have one venom. I would not use leeching venom. You will get more healing overall with Shadowprotector via the regen as this will be up near all the time or can take another stealth on steal with hidden thief.

Ty, changed the trait now :-)