WvW dagger dagger or dagger pistol?

in Thief

Posted by: Azingly.2064

Azingly.2064

Hey everyone!
I recently got into wvw and been playing thief. However when i play dagger pistol thief i cant seem to 1v1 anyone. Should i be switching to dagger/dagger because i feel my damage is too low and they just out damage me. Also, i have two beserker daggers that are around level 77 and when used together out damage my beserker dagger(lvl 77) + exotic pistol. Why is this?
Tl;dr : is d/d better than d/p in wvw? Some tips on dagger pistol would also be great. Ive checked out alot of videos.
Thanks everyone

Bluchairshorthair – Elementalist
Mild addiction to arcana tree ~

in Thief

Posted by: Thorp.7982

Thorp.7982

Totally depends on your traits, how many people (if any) you play with, etc.

Typically for solo or duo roaming, D/P is considered better. Anything other than that, it doesn’t really matter. I use D/D all the time, and -/P on swap for solo roaming.

Every skill on D/P is useful, some skills on D/D are situational, or almost never useful.

in Thief

Posted by: Ghostwolf.9863

Ghostwolf.9863

You should upgrade all your equipment to level 80 exotics asap.

The damage difference between D/P and D/D is low,
while the survival difference is high.

D/P however is a better option when roaming, since you can stealth on demand
escape zergs and pick fights. and the blind combo field is your best friend
and allows you to freely melee autoattack targets within its zone.

Blackpowder> 1 – 1 3/4 auto attack chain, followed by a heartseeker and backstab from behind.

Shadow Shot is the best gap closer, heartseeker when the target is low health.

When you can’t catch up with your target while stealthed for a
backstab => Shadow Shot, if below 25% heartseeker.

Headshot to interrupt stuff.

D/P is just much more complete as a weapon set for pvp than D/D.

I suggest playing a 0/30/30/10/0 build, with init regen while in stealth and 2 init
when using a skill that stealths you, with this you can perma-stealth,
both are picked up from from shadow arts.
Hidden Killer from 30 critical strikes, and 50% movement speed while in
stealth(acrobatics) if you don’t use Signet of Shadows.
And Infiltrator’s Signet to give a small buff to overall init regen.

Once you begin to learn what you you want from your build, you can
modify your build further and personalize it.

I also suggest that you pick up 14-15k hp and and ~1400 toughness.
Chest, Legs and Helmet are the best slots to go with Soldier or Knight equipment.
While Shoulders, gloves, boots and jewelry are best as valkyrie and berserker.

Thief, Engineer, Mesmer – Seafarer’s Rest (EU)

in Thief

Posted by: Sourde Noire.5286

Sourde Noire.5286

Also, i have two beserker daggers that are around level 77 and when used together out damage my beserker dagger(lvl 77) + exotic pistol. Why is this?

I’d guess that’s because melee does more damage than ranged, despite the difference in level / quality of the items in this case. And if the pistol isn’t with the berserker prefix, there’s another difference that makes the dagger potentially stronger.

in Thief

Posted by: pantsforbirds.9032

pantsforbirds.9032

I spend the vast majority of my time solo roaming in wvw flipping camps and fighting other players. I would say that D/D and D/P are both great mainhand weapons for a roamer (and I think shortbow is the best offhand for it’s z axis movement).

In WVW the shadow art trait line is extremely valuable. And I have 30 points into it in both my D/D and D/P builds.

For D/D I think a 10/30/30/0/0 build or a 0/30/30/10/0 build would work best. I personally take

mug

gain fury when opponent reaches 50% health/ +7% crit chance while attacking from behind, and deal 20% more damage when opponent is bow 50% hp

condition removal on stealth (or blind on stealth if you prefer), gain 2 initiative on stealth, and regenerate health while in stealth/0/0

I use hide in shadows, signet of shadow, shadow refuge, and shadow step. And daggerstorm or basilisk venomI run full zerk gear and use +200 power + 1% crit damage food

For D/P I use a 0/20/30/20/0 build.

gain fury when opponent reaches 50% health, +7% crit chance while attacking from behind,

condition removal on stealth, gain 2 initiative on stealth, and regenerate health while in stealth

Move 50% faster in stealth, and gain 2 initiative every 10 seconds

I use hide in shadows, infiltrators signet, shadow refuge, and shadow step. And daggerstorm or basilisk venomI run full zerk gear and use +200 power + 1% crit damage food

Oh and I slotted ruby orbs for highest damage output possible. Feel free to message me in game anytime for help!

Thief: Rand x Al Thor | Mesmer: Egwene x Alvere
Dragonbrand |Twitch: twitch.tv/pantsforbirds

in Thief

Posted by: laquito.5269

laquito.5269

Depends on your skill:

If you’re a noob and want to bore the enemy to death, use d/p.
If you’re decent and actually want some action, use d/d.

simple as.

Ps: Waiting for incoming crap talk.

Retired GW2 Player

in Thief

Posted by: syndicates.9826

syndicates.9826

Depends on your skill:

If you’re a noob and want to bore the enemy to death, use d/p.
If you’re decent and actually want some action, use d/d.

simple as.

Ps: Waiting for incoming crap talk.

Basically this.

D/P’s blinding shot into a heartseeker and not breaking stealth on hit is the easy mode.

in Thief

Posted by: DirtyBird.6093

DirtyBird.6093

You should upgrade all your equipment to level 80 exotics asap.

The damage difference between D/P and D/D is low,
while the survival difference is high.

D/P however is a better option when roaming, since you can stealth on demand
escape zergs and pick fights. and the blind combo field is your best friend
and allows you to freely melee autoattack targets within its zone.

Blackpowder> 1 – 1 3/4 auto attack chain, followed by a heartseeker and backstab from behind.

Shadow Shot is the best gap closer, heartseeker when the target is low health.

When you can’t catch up with your target while stealthed for a
backstab => Shadow Shot, if below 25% heartseeker.

Headshot to interrupt stuff.

D/P is just much more complete as a weapon set for pvp than D/D.

I suggest playing a 0/30/30/10/0 build, with init regen while in stealth and 2 init
when using a skill that stealths you, with this you can perma-stealth,
both are picked up from from shadow arts.
Hidden Killer from 30 critical strikes, and 50% movement speed while in
stealth(acrobatics) if you don’t use Signet of Shadows.
And Infiltrator’s Signet to give a small buff to overall init regen.

Once you begin to learn what you you want from your build, you can
modify your build further and personalize it.

I also suggest that you pick up 14-15k hp and and ~1400 toughness.
Chest, Legs and Helmet are the best slots to go with Soldier or Knight equipment.
While Shoulders, gloves, boots and jewelry are best as valkyrie and berserker.

I completely agree with this. I’d check out Yishis’ build and set up. I’m using a 0/30/30/10/0 build as well, valk gear with divinity runes (can swap out with beryl), zerker weapons, and trinkets. With 30% in crit damage line, you pick up alot of minors and side strikes to buff the crit chance without stocking into a high amount of precision, and hidden killer makes you backstab like a glass cannon. And i COMPLETELY agree that d/p all of the weapon skills are useful, in comparison to d/d which has death blossom (heavy groan) and dancing dagger (medium groan). If you do go D/P make sure you check out Black Laela’s instructional video on youtube on how to do short heartseekers to get more stealth. You basically angle your camera to be directly above you and strafe left and right while heart seekering in the blinding powder.

NOW – that being said, i personally play D/D. Its a playstyle choice. The skill level needed to play D/D is much higher as you are reliant on having things to hit to gain the stealth readily and easily. It requires much better terrain choice and selection to win fights. You want to engage combat by NPCs or siege, things you can hit. The reason i play D/D:
1) More fun for me personally, i like the challenge
2) C&D is a good 1/3 of your spike damage that you lose by just going for the backstab.
3) i hate flopping around in a black powder like a fish out of water. its slower in comparison to lurking around and tapping 5.
4) there are a lot of things you can do using the Cloak and Dagger stealth mechanic. I’ve been on top of the lords room with 15+ enemies just roaming around and cloak and daggering off enemies to stay up in there. Ive quite literally won 1v1’s by using nothing BUT C&D (i just wanted to see if i could do it). Constant C&D and when their life dropped low enough, backstab. As well, in team fights you can use a downed player to lure other players out to down them, as well as you can use them as a constant source of cloak that doesnt move.

If you do decide to go D/D, always have a pistol to swap out in case you need perma stealth.

-Blackgate-
[GoF] Smiks – Guardian/Necro
Thief/Mesmer Alts

in Thief

Posted by: Azingly.2064

Azingly.2064

Thanks everyone i have actually been watching yishis videos and checking out his build. I am confused whether to use beserker exotics or beserker ascendeds. Can anyone clarify? Also, where does the damage from dp come from. Is it backstabe or auto attaacjs?
Thanks

Bluchairshorthair – Elementalist
Mild addiction to arcana tree ~

in Thief

Posted by: Ghostwolf.9863

Ghostwolf.9863

Thanks everyone i have actually been watching yishis videos and checking out his build. I am confused whether to use beserker exotics or beserker ascendeds. Can anyone clarify? Also, where does the damage from dp come from. Is it backstabe or auto attaacjs?
Thanks

Here’s some comparisons between the two, and main prioritys etc..

Backstab is top priority in both D/P and D/D, Auto Attack is second priority,
it’s important to keep high uptime on both to keep pressure.

Heartseeker also serve as a top priority against targets with around and below 25% health.

Blackpowder>Heartseeker and Cloak and Dagger serve as fillers when obtaining stealth. Cloak and Dagger deals more dmg than heartseeker deals on targets above 50% hp, and about same on targets below, on 25% and lower heartseeker deals more.

D/D has the advantage of being more initiative friendly, allowing the thief
to pick up other traits and utilities, granting more damage or more survival through
other ways from these.

Blackpowder>Heartseeker takes a bit longer to pull off than simply CnD,
and is easier to interrupt since the Smoke field is a warning sign, and any
ranged interrupt that hits the thief while inside BP or mid-air with heartseeker
will block the stealth.

Shadow Shot serve best as a gap closer and may replace backstab if you’ll be
unsuccessful pulling one off. (chasing targets for too long will allow them to easily
outlast your dps.)

Thief, Engineer, Mesmer – Seafarer’s Rest (EU)