Zojja's Armor: Scholar or Strength

in Thief

Posted by: Kincaidia.3192

Kincaidia.3192

I play a dd/sb, 5/6/0/0/3 (I think? silly new system), full zojjas gear with half zerker half valk trinkets. I use might on signet use and thrill of the crime on steal, so I’ve got a natural amount of might uptime. Currently I’ve got scholar runes, but last night I bought the last 3 strength runes I needed for a complete set….

Do I overwrite the scholar with the strength runes?

Should I add my spare sigil of battle to my offhand dagger?

in Thief

Posted by: nathan goossen.9546

nathan goossen.9546

runes always overide the rune thats already on the armor so nead to craft another set to save both rune sets =)

Naomi DragonFury

in Thief

Kincaidia.3192

I know I’d have to overwrite them, which is why I’m hesitant. I’m not making a second set of Zojja’s.

Scholar runes are ~4g, so 24g for 6 vs 13g x 6 ~75g for Strength runes.

I’d be losing 25g from losing runes and paying 75g for the new ones.

So the question is, are these new runes worth a 100g investment.

in Thief

Posted by: nathan goossen.9546

nathan goossen.9546

ahm yea idk for thief it sounds more like a no go where is the might im asking my self.
might and yes area might benifit this rune set the most so yea stick with scholar most self dmg what thief good at =)

Naomi DragonFury

in Thief

Posted by: Interceptor.2653

Interceptor.2653

Depends on your style. If you have existing sources of Might (like your Signets, from other people, blast finishers etc) and you’re going for max damage, there is no need to be rid of Scholar. Keep your health up, do the deeps, save some money.

It’s different if you have a build centered around Might (either for yourself, or blasting for other people). I run 2/0/0/6/6 and find Strength invaluable, since I have high Might access/uptime. My AOE Might blast finishers last for 35 seconds. Etc.

in Thief

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

With that build I’d stick with Scholar Runes. It sounds more like a PvE build anyway and in PvE you can maintain >90% HP fairly reliably.

Strength Runes make more sense in a WvW-heavy build with points in Shadow Arts. It doesn’t make much sense without any regular and reliable access to Might.

in Thief

Kincaidia.3192

I’m 100% in WvW and with lowered DPS after the crit damage nerf, I’m finding myself in longer battles with less time at 90%+ health.

Long term, I’m probably going to craft a dire ascended set and move to condition damage, but that takes times and resources.

in Thief

Posted by: Interceptor.2653

Interceptor.2653

Have you considered using Rune of the Ogre as a stopgap? You lose a little ferocity and the 10% conditional multiplier, but gain perma-4% and uhhh… a rock dog. Way cheaper than Strength.

FYI, you can do plenty of work in a condi build with just exotics. P/D condi is so good right now you could probably get away with yellows, even.

in Thief

Kincaidia.3192

Maybe I’ll buy a rare set of armor and put them in to try it the strength runes. Worst case scenario then is I break them down and sell them.

I think I would have enough access to might though.
10 seconds on steal
20 seconds on weapon swap
10 seconds on signet use
10 seconds on being hit (5 second cooldown)

And that’s without the +45% might duration from the rune set… That means one weapon swap in combat and I get the +7% for 30 seconds even if I don’t do any of the other things. If I could add in might on stealth…. Mmmmm….. Might……

in Thief

Posted by: mPascoal.4258

mPascoal.4258

I’l assume this is for PvE, because if it is for WvW, with those traits and full zerker you must be kinda of suicidal.

Anyway, Thief doesn’t have much acess to might with that build of yours, even with might on Signet use and Thrill of Crime it’s not enough IMO and so you will problably end up with not having might up all the time and not using the 7% damage modifier all the time. I would recomend Scholar for PvE and Strenght for WvW if you do it and use them with a SA build

Phask - Guardian/DH | Phaskk - Warrior | Phaask - Revenant

in Thief

Kincaidia.3192

Dead god, nice call Phask. I’m completely suicidal. I will, however, think about switching toward more of a SA build.

in Thief

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

I go with strength runes in WvW with valk set and berzerker weapons and trinkets. I also use it in PvE wince I am short on money and space to store extra armor sets and works fine. Problem is with scholar runes is staying above 90% is difficult when you are getting hit by conditions or ranged/direct damage. It does not take much to get you under 90%. With Strength Rune you can be more proactive, with traits that give you might on dodge(you have to dodge anyways, might as well get might) and other traits, including might from other players. I maintain 15+ stacks with little effort, usually around 20-25 in a group.