explain why this is a bad idea?

in Thief

Posted by: pinkbunnies.4620

pinkbunnies.4620

they could make it so that being stealthed drains initiative over time… that way unloading and vanishing is impossible.

this will make stealth as a way to engage still viable but (as many have asked for) will make the thief commit to the fight to the death once engaged.

this would resolve a lot of the issues some people are having with thieves in pvp.

thanks for the consideration

in Thief

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

“Thieves are the masters of mobility, stealth and high single target damage. "

Because it’s fate, you can’t escape it….unless your a thief.

in Thief

Posted by: ASP.8093

ASP.8093

I’m not sure who this is really going to affect. Let’s look at the most common WvW builds…

Bursty thieves spend very little time in stealth. They’re just using it to deliver Backstab as quickly as possible.

P/D thieves do stay in stealth a bunch, but they don’t really use their initiative for much. Your proposed change will force them to play a bit tighter with landing Cloak & Dagger, but largely they can continue doing the same gameplan.

Nemain The Eyeless · [JOY] · Tarnished Coast · http://tcwvw.com

in Thief

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

Bursty thieves spend very little time in stealth. They’re just using it to deliver Backstab as quickly as possible.

This. Your proposed solution doesn’t even address the issue which some people have difficulty with.

The problem most noobs and glass cannons have with Thieves is that they don’t know how to fight a glass cannon Thief. Glass cannons of any class aren’t nearly the threat to more experienced players than they are to noobs and other glass cannons. Once someone gets a little more experience and learns the game more, these noob killing builds aren’t that bad.

in Thief

Posted by: Causic.3798

Causic.3798

This. Your proposed solution doesn’t even address the issue which some people have difficulty with.

The problem most noobs and glass cannons have with Thieves is that they don’t know how to fight a glass cannon Thief. Glass cannons of any class aren’t nearly the threat to more experienced players than they are to noobs and other glass cannons. Once someone gets a little more experience and learns the game more, these noob killing builds aren’t that bad.

The problem is that even after you get them to low health they stealth and run out of sight. Its much to easy for them to get into stealth, heck even the healing skill stealths them.

in Thief

Surbrus.6942

The problem is that even after you get them to low health they stealth and run out of sight. Its much to easy for them to get into stealth, heck even the healing skill stealths them.

A cowering Thief is not very scary.

Cap the camp in peace, rest assured that the tower or keep will not fall to Thieves. In sPvP cap your point, take out the extra objectives.

If the PvP was a deathmatch then saying that they can run away may be more of a viable balance complaint. However since it is not a deathmatch, the ability to run away and hide is not that powerful.

Besides, many classes can do things to help them run away; cripples, knockbacks over cliffs, holding out until allies arrive, making a run for a camp/tower/keep where a door and/or NPC’s can help protect you. Utilization of perma swiftness and movement skills also helps in fleeing from combat.

If you can think of balance reasons for why running away like a little wimp is a bad thing, then do please elaborate.

in Thief

Posted by: Vile.5678

Vile.5678

I don’t understand why people consider this such a big deal. From my perspective, if a Thief runs away, it means that I’ve won the fight. It’s no different from an Elementalist using RTL to escape, right?

Edit: Aww, well, the poster above said the same thing.

Warrior – Whrawl
Thief – Radderic
Mesmer – Smash Kablooey

(edited by Vile.5678)

in Thief

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

I will agree to this, as long as initiative recharge rate is decreased to 1 second.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

in Thief

Posted by: Jericho.4521

Jericho.4521

I’m actually probably cool with this. There’s been other suggestions where stealth is just “Ok, reduce stealth time to 2 seconds max, and increase cost, AND knock out of stealth, AND AND AND,” yeah. This doesn’t seem too bad, as it wouldn’t hurt the ability to use stealth offensively that much.

However, as someone else pointed out, this would leave all the big burst builds virtually unscathed, which is what a good majority of people are crying about anyways.

in Thief

Posted by: FourTwenty.4268

FourTwenty.4268

that is NOT a problem! did you read the class philosophy?

“Thieves are the masters of mobility, stealth and high single target damage.”

they’re supposed to get away. just because you get mad when they run away is no reason to cripple the entire class.

i really really wish the devs read your post and understand this is why people complain about the class

(and kitten of course the culling bug needs to be fixed)

(edited by FourTwenty.4268)

in Thief

Posted by: brandon.6735

brandon.6735

I like it when other thieves run away from me. I just /dance or /laugh when they run away.

Guardianhipster
Thiefhipster

in Thief

Posted by: Siva Mira.3546

Siva Mira.3546

Someone never played Thief nor knew anything about Thief but still want to fix Thief anyway.

All is vain.

in Thief

pinkbunnies.4620

that is NOT a problem! did you read the class philosophy?

“Thieves are the masters of mobility, stealth and high single target damage.”

they’re supposed to get away. just because you get mad when they run away is no reason to cripple the entire class.

i really really wish the devs read your post and understand this is why people complain about the class

(and kitten of course the culling bug needs to be fixed)

Yeah, and nowhere in that philosophy does it say that they are entitled to run away like little babies if a fight isn’t going their way.

in Thief

pinkbunnies.4620

Someone never played Thief nor knew anything about Thief but still want to fix Thief anyway.

This would maybe be funny if it were true but its not..nice try though, lol.

in Thief

Surbrus.6942

Yeah, and nowhere in that philosophy does it say that they are entitled to run away like little babies if a fight isn’t going their way.

Your problem may be that you seem to see “being useless and fleeing from battle” as “not-losing”.

Fleeing from battle without doing anything useful is always considered losing the fight. Especially when the initial goal of the flighty wimp was to stop the enemy from completing their objective.

How you cannot see your enemies fleeing in terror as you winning the fight, I do not understand.

As was asked already ITT, what is so imbalanced about running away? There is no deathmatch game type in GW2, all the PvP is objective based.

in Thief

Posted by: FourTwenty.4268

FourTwenty.4268

lol what?

what else would ‘kings of mobility’ mean? seriously. . .think it through. i can link you the definition to mobility if you need

see, people just get mad that they feel ‘robbed’ of their kill. instead of seeing it as a good thing(that the thief has stopped attack and is no longer a threat), you throw a tantrum cause you didn’t get the kill(last word).

these threads are an epic win

in Thief

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

I’d be all for it, assuming some of the Initiative costs would be rebalanced.

A problem with the current Initiative system is that there’s no real choice.

Whereas you’re supposed to chose between damage and utility in theory, in practice you’re just choosing between damage and damage as that’s what most weapon skills are.

Having Stealth cost Initiative would address this issue to an extent and force Thieves to managed the resource a little more as opposed to spaming their best moves.

Because resource systems without choice are essentially a waste.

in Thief

pinkbunnies.4620

lol what?

what else would ‘kings of mobility’ mean? seriously. . .think it through. i can link you the definition to mobility if you need

see, people just get mad that they feel ‘robbed’ of their kill. instead of seeing it as a good thing(that the thief has stopped attack and is no longer a threat), you throw a tantrum cause you didn’t get the kill(last word).

these threads are an epic win

Or, people don’t want to be “robbed” of their ability to run away like a little kitten and save their ego. It’s PvP..if you can’t handle dying – don’t play, lol.

in Thief

Surbrus.6942

Or, people don’t want to be “robbed” of their ability to run away like a little kitten and save their ego. It’s PvP..if you can’t handle dying – don’t play, lol.

Since when is fleeing from single combat considered saving one’s ego? You are just making this up as you go along aren’t you?

I’d be all for it, assuming some of the Initiative costs would be rebalanced.

A problem with the current Initiative system is that there’s no real choice.

Whereas you’re supposed to chose between damage and utility in theory, in practice you’re just choosing between damage and damage as that’s what most weapon skills are.

Having Stealth cost Initiative would address this issue to an extent and force Thieves to managed the resource a little more as opposed to spaming their best moves.

Because resource systems without choice are essentially a waste.

There is a lot of utility that costs initiative. Also there are a couple popular weapon skills that provide invisibility (therefore invisibility uses initiative).

Name a weapon set for Thieves that has no utility to support your claim. Thief weapon skills (which cost initiative) have everything from gap closers, blinds, evades, daze, teleports, ranged AoE. There are also combo fields, leaps, projectiles, whirls and blasts.

Does a noobslayer glass cannon Thief use initiative for anything other than turning invisible and spamming Heartseeker? No, they don’t have to because they are primarily hunting noobs, and even when they aren’t hunting noobs they are specialized for damage, not utility.

in Thief

Posted by: Sithaco.4673

Sithaco.4673

Ele’s run away…

Engineers run away…

in Thief

Posted by: eXs.6210

eXs.6210

as an unload burst thief I would love faster regeneration out of stealth and slower regeneration in stealth since well… I don’t use stealth all that much… lol…

but generally, this is a pretty awful idea… I don’t understand why people get so mad when thieves stealth… you know what you can’t do in stealth? attack… you can’t attack in stealth… doesn’t seem very threatening to anyone… they can get 1 attack out of stealth… good players don’t stay in stealth long, they use stealth to set up their burst and that takes like a fraction of a second… this doesn’t solve anything at all…

in Thief

Posted by: ZLE.8293

ZLE.8293

good players don’t stay in stealth long, they use stealth to set up their burst and that takes like a fraction of a second…

LoL!!! Just lol!!!
Many good players stay as long as possible in stealth.Also many good players are not burst builded.You presume too much…

Ss Ninja- Rank 50 Asura Condition Thief (The Bulgarians [BG])
My Ringtones on Zedge >>>C l i c k <<<

in Thief

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

How you cannot see your enemies fleeing in terror as you winning the fight, I do not understand.

It becomes more understandable when one assumes his objective is to kill pc’s rather then completing objectives, like capturing supply stations in Wvw, which would actually help his team/world.

A quote may show that assuming his objective for Pvp is killing other pc’s as quite accurate:

… It’s PvP..if you can’t handle dying – don’t play, lol.

in Thief

Posted by: Katsumoto.9452

Katsumoto.9452

Ele’s need a huge nerf then. They run away better than anyone else in the game when using D/D weapon set.

Aurora Glade [EU]

in Thief

Posted by: Hjulstad.6317

Hjulstad.6317

Ele’s need a huge nerf then. They run away better than anyone else in the game when using D/D weapon set.

Well ele does need a nerf, but not cause they can run away, morse cause you can build full bunker and be unkillable and at the same time do good damage.. Only bad eles claim that D/D ele aint OP.. I have one myself cause i found the attunement swapping interesting, but its really to easy, and never liked spells either, so dropped it pretty fast…

Member of TUP
@
Aurora Glade