exuberance vs scrapper vs defender runes

in Thief

Posted by: DenimChicken.8639

DenimChicken.8639

Title says it all. Anyone have an opinion on which rune set provides the best defense for roaming thief builds?

thanks!

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

If it purely defense you looking at with no concern as to whether it affects offensive abilities than defender wins with bandits defense traited.

in Thief

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

why would it need to be traited for rune of the defender to win? the cooldown on the heal is twice as long as the cooldown on the skill

in Thief

babazhook.6805

why would it need to be traited for rune of the defender to win? the cooldown on the heal is twice as long as the cooldown on the skill

To use on demand. They work best when you can time that heal. As example I tried these on a Guardian and because Aegis would kick in the Aegis would trigger the heal at inopportune times.

The thief only has one real block they can control the timing of and that bandits defense. So when you need that heal throw it up and get the block plus heal. That the heal now goes on cooldown is fine up until it comes off again you can still use your regular heal followed by an Aegis. Get hit/stunned, throw up BD and block and break stun, gain 4k health and knockdown the foe, even once every thirty seconds that is quite potent.

Now a thief in theory get get that block off the Aegis after they use a regular heal but this often counterproductive as you might have healed to near full already.

(edited by babazhook.6805)

in Thief

reikken.4961

I mean I don’t see why an untraited Bandit’s Defense isn’t just as good for this.

in Thief

babazhook.6805

I mean I don’t see why an untraited Bandit’s Defense isn’t just as good for this.

Oh sorry. All I meant was take bandits defense as a utility.

I think most everyone takes it now it that good. brawlers tenacity is not needed.

in Thief

Posted by: DenimChicken.8639

DenimChicken.8639

If it purely defense you looking at with no concern as to whether it affects offensive abilities than defender wins with bandits defense traited.

so if its better than scrapper runes in terms of defense, the only thing scrapper runes have on it is the 100 power…cause 7% less dmg taken doesn’t seem like much to me, and toughness on thieves is pretty worthless unless you really invest a whole lot into it.

anyone have experience using more than 1 of these rune sets in roaming action?

in Thief

Posted by: kash.9213

kash.9213

I can’t say I know what I’m talking about but I’ve been using scrapper runes for awhile, and while they’re nice in smaller group encounters, I spend most of my time getting vaped by zergs. I think I’d rather have that extra vitality and the power from exuberance runes works out to standard for a power set anyway.

Kash
NSP

in Thief

Posted by: Set.7461

Set.7461

I’ve used them all pretty extensively. One thing I want to comment on is the “wasted heal” from defender. It appears to be a flat 4k ish heal that’s not affected by poison. If you add that 4k on top of your heal skill, there’s pretty much no way you can waste the heal. For example, Withdraw heals for ~4k. Add 4k on top of it and treat Withdraw as an 8k heal the first time you use it. So say you have 18k hp. Heal at 10k instead of 14k.

IMO, Defender runes are better for duels and smaller group fights than Scrapper runes. If you use it as I mentioned, you get a flat 4k extra hp, a quick regen, and a free block, all from 1 skill(heal). It helps with bandits defense for more regen but is definitely not required to slot. I’ve tried maximizing dmg reduction and while it’s noticeable, it doesn’t turn a fight around like Defender’s rune. Getting a clutch block from aegis is too good.

Having said that, I’ve switch all but my chest-piece and weapons to Valk and picked Exuberance over them all. Dmg reduction and blocks are nice, but having 20k hp with ~2.5k power is something I don’t want to give up. If I had full Marauder, I’d go with Defender.

Edit: another reason I prefer Defender’s Rune over Scrapper is AFAIK, Scrapper Runes do not affect conditions. So while it’s good for direct dmg, the extra 4k heal from Defenders will help in any occasion.

(edited by Set.7461)

in Thief

reikken.4961

How about rune of durability? That any good?

in Thief

babazhook.6805

How about rune of durability? That any good?

Yes it is and I would put it above scrapper and right up there with defender if looking at defense only. The boon duration is also very nice.

in Thief

Posted by: Vornollo.5182

Vornollo.5182

As Set pointed out, Scrapper only works with Power Damage (sadly, really).
However, against Power builds it is very potent if you run it along with Daredevils Weakening Strikes and Unhindered Combatant. A damage reduction of 27% is nothing to scoff at.
That said, I prefer avoiding hits instead of hoping the 27% reduction is enough to save me, so I’m all on board for giving Defender Runes the top spot here, even above Durability Runes simply because of how useful that heal is and how easy it is to involve in your play.

Exuberance Runes… Meh, not so much my thing (none of these runes really, I’m a fan of more offensive runes), but they would really shine in S/D, S/P and Staff Builds I reckon.
If anything, I’d say Exuberance Runes are the middle ground between defense and offense.

[PUSH] Constant Pressure

in Thief

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

Been using scrapper runes for some time now,along with dash trait. I main s/d and altough it is about evading play, you only really evade hard hitting things rather then aa or other low dps hits. My armour stats are 2300 along with the -17 dmg reduction I can aford to take some mild hits if I have too. Also regaudring health I think 16-17k is more then enough tbh. I would like to give defender runes a try though.

Using marurder armor/weapons and bersker Trinks.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

in Thief

babazhook.6805

More on the wasted heal if you do not have bandits defense traited.

If one is using SOM you have to burn that heal and turn it off just to get that block.

In a S/d build wvw I trait withdraw not only as a heal but as a major condition cleanse. It can remove up to 7 conditions. If I get Condi bombed I like to use this early, even before health runs low to ensure those conditions do not hinder my ability to attack . By time that bomb ready to use again, withdraw is ready and in between that time I still have that fat heal from the block I can use if wished and with that all said you can still double up on heal with aegis is so desired.

The BD against multiple foes can also give multiple blocks rather than just the one off Aegis alowing more of that regen.

I really suggest using bandits defense to maximize your flexibility.

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Exuberance is the kittens on power based builds.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in Thief

reikken.4961

Oh sorry. All I meant was take bandits defense as a utility.

Alright.

then you should use a different word. Traits are separate from skills, so “traited” typically means taking the trait that buffs the skill.