just wanna ask is backstab really all everyone uses ?

in Thief

Posted by: Lordryux.9785

Lordryux.9785

ive been playing thief for a bit now and i gotta say i rarely. use backstab and still i get kills like crazy like it isnt really hard. tbh maybe in wvw. without it mite seem kinda ok we suck but in spvp ive been doing pretty kitten fine without it and still getting kills so all this crazyness going on in this forum when u guys kno ur goona get tht big Ol nerf hammer soon just deal with it and find another way to make ur thief better to overcome it and show people how good u really are ^^

in Thief

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

The problem is many thieves including me are tired of having to rebuy different gear and learn new playstyles patch after patch.
Given – backstab isn’t really complicated to learn, but I still had to spend a massive amount of money buying gear to complement it, and that lasted for a week or two after I got my gear and now I’m learning I have to do it again? I don’t even like condition builds. I’ve moved from stealth build to pistol whip to backstab and now what?

I’m not a condition build player. Never have been. Don’t like it. I like doing direct damage. And now anet is nerfing it. Given – we don’t know what kind of nerf we are getting yet. If it isn’t a pure damage nerf, I won’t have to change hopefully, but if they totally kill the skill (like pistol whip) that means I have to buy new gear, find a new build, get accustomed to it, and then probably have to move onto another one as that will eventually get nerfed to due to thieves just being an all around hated class.

That’s why so many thieves including me and saying anet is destroying the thief, they might as well delete it, because it’s just constant nerf after nerf (also given, assassins signet wasn’t a nerf depending on how you see it, I see it as a nerf, however) and the complaints never stop, and Anet listens to them, instead of rationalizing with the entire community. When does it get to the point where even the non powerful thief builds get nerfed? The nerf train isn’t stopping anytime soon, and it will be run into the ground, just like the rangers.

(edited by Doomdesire.9365)

in Thief

Posted by: Webley.1295

Webley.1295

ANET is fixing it,

They wont be nerfs

Its to bring a class in line with the others

instead of doing 18k damage in 2secs, it will be closer to 4 or 5 secs (Take assassins signet for example)

Have faith – will be fine

I played a BS build, and even in its current form I found a bleed build to be better dmg/survival so i made the switch. My crit gear will sit in the bank till i get bored and switch back

saying all that…. people do need to L2P

I will expect guardian and mesmer MOA will see some nerfs after the thief topics die out and people realize the other stuff going on

(edited by Webley.1295)

in Thief

Doomdesire.9365

ANET is fixing it,

They wont be nerfs

It to bring a class in line with the others

Isn’t that what they did with “OP pistolwhip”?

By nerfing it to the point where the auto attack chain was more powerful and ignoring the real problem with it (haste)

in Thief

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

I don’t use it at all. Since the pistol whip nerf I adjusted my build to a Dual dagger & Pistol/Dagger condition build. I use a combination of caltrops, death blossom, vital shot and sneak attack.

in Thief

Posted by: Sco.9615

Sco.9615

ANET is fixing it,

They wont be nerfs

instead of doing 18k damage in 2secs, it will be closer to 4 or 5 secs (Take assassins signet for example)

I played a BS build, and even in its current form I found a bleed build to be better dmg/survival so i made the switch. My crit gear will sit in the bank till i get bored and switch back

This is the point. There is a better option and yet BS still target of Nerf? I think I can tell you why. QQs. Sole reason.

Communication is the greatest gift the world of today can offer us.
So why do we choose to ignore it?

in Thief

Webley.1295

ANET is fixing it,

They wont be nerfs

By nerfing it to the point where the auto attack chain was more powerful and ignoring the real problem with it (haste)

If you add assassins signet on PW you get the original PW. It requires an extra utility cost to get it back to its original state.

PW also stuns on top for free. The auto attack only dazes from stealth which still allows movment

in Thief

Doomdesire.9365

ANET is fixing it,

They wont be nerfs

If you add assassins signet on PW you get the original PW. It requires an extra utility cost to get it back to its original state

That is true, but only for one pistol whip use, then you gotta wait for it to recharge in order for it to work again.

in Thief

Posted by: Ranzou.7123

Ranzou.7123

prerequisite of backstab is hard enough..
you must stealth , you must close to target and you have behind the target to deal more damage..
you can’t spam it (due to the revealed debuff)
it’s not give any debuff/condition damage like other class burst skill (that deal more damage than backstab)..

why need a fix?

Now you see me, soon you won’t

in Thief

Webley.1295

ANET is fixing it,

They wont be nerfs

This is the point. There is a better option and yet BS still target of Nerf? I think I can tell you why. QQs. Sole reason.

The better option for me takes around 20secs to complete a fight with bleeds

the BS option takes 2secs. but number crunching shows that it has far less survivability

You dont need to be able to survive in 2 secs, cus the guy counter attacking you is dead thats the point

number crunching does not tell the tale of how things actually unfold

after the burst you should still have a guy to fight against on his last legs, and be in the state of gambling your survival that you sacraficed….. not nuke a guy then tell them its fine cus you cant survive in a fight where your opponent is already dead

(edited by Webley.1295)

in Thief

Posted by: yertle.5837

yertle.5837

I’ve found P/D to be much more reliable than backstab, which is mostly good for ganking poorly played glass cannons/underleveled people in WvW. P/P and ol’ S/P work just as well for that.

edit: off topic

Acenn (Thief)
also L80 Ele/Necro/Mesmer
IoJ

(edited by yertle.5837)

in Thief

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

ANET is fixing it,

They wont be nerfs

Sword pistol thief here, all I do is autoattack while standing in black powder.

I can’t stand playing for more than about an hour like that because it gets boring standing there autoattacking so much, but I don’t like dagger’s lack of aoe.

I’m just hoping anet gives some attention back to the class in a positive way after they realize they reduced thieves all to just standing there autoattacking.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

in Thief

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

ANET is fixing it,

They wont be nerfs

If you add assassins signet on PW you get the original PW. It requires an extra utility cost to get it back to its original state.

PW also stuns on top for free. The auto attack only dazes from stealth which still allows movment

It really isn’t.

It really really isn’t.

1. it’s 1 pistol whip every 45s
  1. it’s still not as good as pistol whip used to be. It affects 5 of 9 attacks in the combo.

that’s not full damage.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

in Thief

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

The problem is many thieves including me are tired of having to rebuy different gear and learn new playstyles patch after patch.

Just make a warrior, pick up a greatsword or some axes. It’ll be the last change you ever have to make, because warriors are nerf-proof.

in Thief

bwillb.2165

after the burst you should still have a guy to fight against on his last legs, and be in the state of gambling your survival that you sacraficed….. not nuke a guy then tell them its fine cus you cant survive in a fight where your opponent is already dead

The problem is that you’re taking a 1v1 scenario, a type of play that is not supported at all. Unless that guy you nuked was a complete moron, you can bet there is at least 1 other guy waiting to kill you as fast as you killed his friend. In real play, the backstab thief is essentially sacrificing himself to take out a high value target. And even then, even if the backstab combo goes off perfectly, it’ll all be for naught if you’re outnumbered, thanks to the downed state.

in Thief

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

“… when u guys …”

The devil is in the details. When you say ‘you guys’ to reference thief players you imply you are not one of them. You don’t play a thief

in Thief

Posted by: bow.6179

bow.6179

I think Judas gives a great example of a fix that will keep everyone happy. Backstab isn’t the problem. It’s being able to start c/d and then steal without interrupting it. If you start c/d and then use steal it should stop c/d from happening. That would change up the rotation, keep the damage and give the opponent more time to react with a stun breaker.

in Thief

bwillb.2165

Why does Arenanet insist on not rewarding more complex and skilled rotations?

Because if something that’s not easy to do is more powerful than something that is easy to do, the people who can only figure out the easy thing call for nerfs of the harder thing.

in Thief

Posted by: DieQuex.4096

DieQuex.4096

Because if something that’s not easy to do is more powerful than something that is easy to do, the people who can only figure out the easy thing call for nerfs of the harder thing.

CnD + Steal + Devourer/Basilisk Venom + Backstab isn’t difficult. It’s actually incredibly easy, and happens so fast many people are unable to react quickly enough to counter it. I mean, why do so many thieves utilize the build if it’s apparently difficult? Come on now.

Hoping that the incoming nerf/compensations brings more viable/skillful builds to the PvP environments in the game.

in Thief

bwillb.2165

CnD + Steal + Devourer/Basilisk Venom + Backstab isn’t difficult. It’s actually incredibly easy, and happens so fast many people are unable to react quickly enough to counter it. I mean, why do so many thieves utilize the build if it’s apparently difficult? Come on now.

Hoping that the incoming nerf/compensations brings more viable/skillful builds to the PvP environments in the game.

I wasn’t specifically talking about backstab, but in general. If something is more powerful, even if it’s so hard that only some players are able to pull it off, people cry for nerfs. It’s one of the guaranteed things in MMOs. If he can do something that I cannot, he must be nerfed. That attitude is everywhere. And ArenaNet listens to it.