TheThiefMaster.3812

Guild – BLNT , NS , oPP
IGN – Kinsz / Server – Sea of Sorrows
https://www.youtube.com/user/BLNTGw2

let's theory craft

in Thief

Posted by: TheThiefMaster.3812

TheThiefMaster.3812

BTW if you wonder why there is a plus condi duration food on a power build its because with this build you get 10% more dmg when your enemy has condis on them hence my choice of oil.

Guild – BLNT , NS , oPP

let's theory craft

in Thief

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

I actually tried this build/trait spread out a month or two ago and it’s not as bad as it looks, though personally I still prefer 2 0 0 6 6.

I don’t think the condi food is really necessary (I understand why you’re taking it but it’s not really helpful when you already have pretty good condi duration). Also I’d take Sundering Strikes or Combined Training over Improvisation and consider Vigorous Recovery over PoI (though then you’d want to take different runes). Also change out the Valk gear for Zerker or Soldier’s pieces and if you run into initiative problems you can also look at Hastened Replenishment which is a completely viable and underrated alternative to Sleight of Hand.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

let's theory craft

in Thief

Posted by: TheThiefMaster.3812

TheThiefMaster.3812

Noted , all very good suggestions though i think ill stick to strength runes and power of inertia , the might stack is too good with those two combined which in turn makes you hit like a truck .

2/0/0/6/6 really doesn’t offer much more than this build besides the extra condi clear you get from taking Pain response , to make up for the lack of condi removal I’m running purity and generosity sigils on my bow.

Combined training and SS are both good choices it really comes down to the player’s choice when you are deciding which one to take as all 3 traits ( improvisation included ) give you good options

Guild – BLNT , NS , oPP

let's theory craft

in Thief

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

If you are going for hybrid you need to designate a focus to what type of damage you are going to apply and then use the other as a form of supplement to the focus. However, you also need to think about which set would be best to optimize both types of damage and how you are going to go about applying them.

What I do is go either p/d or d/d and use carrion gear with berserker trinkets. Now i am kind of a rebel when it comes to builds (you shouldn’t really go by what I say (just to be safe)) but I would rather use this simply because it can keep the pressure really well while at the same time providing access to survival mechanics.

I kept away from all of the steal traits because basing your build specifically around Steal takes away from potential in other areas of your build. I also changed s/d to d/d since s/x is best for power builds

Now realize this is a DB-spam build so I will get chastised for it, but the reason I present you with it is because it is my alltime favorite and it is actually ALOT better than what most thieves believe. The way DB-spam builds work is by constantly applying bleed and poison stacks (vuln too in this case) so much that it almost forces players to unnecessarily blow their condition removal (which they do and its hilarious).

Using DB combined with the rest of the AoE conditions you will be dealing will not only keep pressure on enemies, but SoM is going to tick so much that players might think you are hacking. SoM procs on Uncatchable/Choking Gas/Caltrop ticks and any other damage you might cause for each person. So you can imagine how much you are going to heal vs 3 players.

And the best part is this is also an anti-thief build, so you are going to be a god among your kind. That is, of course, if you use it properly. It is actually one of the more difficult builds to use.

let's theory craft

in Thief

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

Noted , all very good suggestions though i think ill stick to strength runes and power of inertia , the might stack is too good with those two combined which in turn makes you hit like a truck .

2/0/0/6/6 really doesn’t offer much more than this build besides the extra condi clear you get from taking Pain response , to make up for the lack of condi removal I’m running purity and generosity sigils on my bow.

Combined training and SS are both good choices it really comes down to the player’s choice when you are deciding which one to take as all 3 traits ( improvisation included ) give you good options

It’s always good to deal more dmg, however I find improvisation a lot more useful than CT or SS. Most of the time I use blinding powder, shadowstep and SR, that’s all three recharged when improvisation procs. Or another backstab with basi, it’s hilarious. The rng of that trait is not great but it’s one of those things you notice when it procs rather than thinking “I’d be alive now if it proc’d”.

Never thought about using this trait untill I forgot to switch back my build from dungeon run. It proc’d 4 times in a row and I’ve been using it ever since.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

let's theory craft

in Thief

Posted by: Cam Ron.4170

Cam Ron.4170

some guy (forget his name, post on front page though) posted a cool S/D roaing video. What I found most interesting was his gear- He used Cavelier (toughness) instead of Valk. Now, I normally run the same gear you listed. (valk armor – zerk everything else), but after thinking about it I think toughness > vitality on thief, (especially if using Withdraw) and here is why:

Healing scales with toughness. We have a 15 second cooldown heal, and healing on stealth. With the amount we can regen, might as well have those hit points be worth more. So I suggest trying caveliers over valkyrie, even though I haven’t tried it myself I plan to, it seems stronger. Maybe half and half? I don’t know, but I really think a little bit of armor goes a long way and is well worth sacrificing HP for.

As for the build itself it looks really interesting.. I’ve still never used Improv in a build, not sure if it would be better to use same type of skill, or make it varied so it procs more often.

let's theory craft

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

This trait build is eerily familiar — wait, this is the build I’ve been running like forever (except for Improv).

In my experience with this build, you need toughness more than vitality only because you’re using a sword. If it’s a dagger, then this build is fine. With sword, you don’t have the benefit of Heartseeker as a disengage and Withdraw is too precious to be wasted if not crippled, chilled, or immobz. Therefore, you need to somehow find a way to mitigate the damage. High health is only good if you can top it off really well, but with this build, you can’t. Don’t be surprised if you get 2-shotted. 15k with based toughness is just that, 15k. With toughness, you are effectively increasing your Effective Health.

Look more into the Effective Health.

BTW if you wonder why there is a plus condi duration food on a power build its because with this build you get 10% more dmg when your enemy has condis on them hence my choice of oil.

This does not make any sense. If your target is not attacking back, sure, I guess. But if they are attacking you back and you only have base toughness, you won’t even benefit on the full duration of your condition to get that 10% before you die or run away. The condition duration you get from DA is sufficient enough. You need to think about staying power to keep the beating long enough for you to benefit from both 10% damage and might stacks.

I speak from experience, but you can do what ever fits your play style.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

let's theory craft

in Thief

Posted by: Delta Blues.8507

Delta Blues.8507

Uhm the more I look into it the more i like it, except for a couple things i’d change, mostly what arghantium said.

I did try few different builds for my S/D or S/P thief but i pretty much only do roaming solo/duo and I’m more than not in sticky outnumbered situations, and after various try I keep going back to 2/0/0/6/6 for the survaivability. I also use runes of the pack (can’t afford strength) but i don’t think i’ll change them, also because i find vigorous recovery invaluable and i also run assassin’s reward because i find it gives me that little extra sustain i need as the fights I get to tend to last long and I can’t just run away and leave my partner to deal with enemies alone.

Also I personally use 100toughness 70precision food. Relating to your build i’d try to get toughness a little higher. And imho if you use your infiltrator return and you evade right I think you can put a bloodlust sigil on your SB. Now players give you 5 stacks, so if you take a camp and kill a guy you are already at +100 flat power, and in no time you’ll have full stacks.

It looks really good but it also looks very squishy to me, i guess it really depends on your playstyle and what kind of fights you want to get into

let's theory craft

in Thief

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

I’d also take out your crit sigils and change them for something more effective. You only have 30% crit chance – sigils only activate 50% of the time when you do land a crit – 15% chance to trigger a sigil. It’s not reliable. Crit sigils are best comboed with a guaranteed high crit chance, like a backstab.

I’d also swap out Improvisation for Potent Poison. Poison counters your enemy’s heal.

Third, your only source of condi removal comes from your shortbow. One of them is again based on your low crit chance, and the other has a 10 second cooldown. It’s going to be very painful fighting a condition happy opponent. I’d advise getting a few points into Shadow Arts for the condi removal.

Don’t get discouraged! The build isn’t bad, but it’ll need a few adjustments to match up to potential.

(edited by Arikyali.5804)

let's theory craft

in Thief

Posted by: Fewix.4250

Fewix.4250

Kinszy baby. I don’t think the condi food would really help you much. you’re better off running power food. Valk or Cav armor would work I suppose. Both have their roles in your build. Valk would let you survive sustained dmg better because you can take an extra hit and dodge around longer. While Cav armor would be safer vs burst like (my gerdian that you know so well) Overall I feel you should just switch the food. Its hard to get more survivability with acro without losing the dmg. But since you’re like the almighty master thief of all thieves. you can just outplay everyone with dodges amirite

In most games. Casuals are the majority. In Gw2, casuals are the game.

let's theory craft

in Thief

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

Felix….get into the Mists and fite me. Now.

let's theory craft

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

>>Now realize this is a DB-spam build so I will get chastised for it, but the reason I present you with it is because it is my alltime favorite and it is actually ALOT better than what most thieves believe.

You will not get any grief from me. I have been suggesting the d/d condition db build a LOT stronger then people think and more should try it rather then just dismiss it out of hand because someone said on the boards d/d a power set.

The build you posted is very similar to the hybrid I had of my own .

Another utility skill overlooked and much maligned is the skill IMPROV. You might want to try that in some of your builds. I found it works best in builds that have the lowest steal Cooldown rate but whether one uses venoms, deceptions, signets or tricks, its impact can be huge on any given battle and it a lot of fun.

(edited by babazhook.6805)