please, help me save some cash!!

in Thief

Posted by: oloap.9765

oloap.9765

hello people,
after having some fun with my main warrior decided to roll a thief, because i felt like warrior was too slow..
now i got it to lvl80 and started getting full exotic gear and so on.
and here comes the pain, i would like to experiment a bit, but is getting a bit too expensive since thios is not my main, and i plan doing a char for every profession,
so if an experienced thief could give some hints i’d rather appreciate!!
I’m open to any remark, till is constructive!

so, here is my build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQNAoYVlUm6OHfy9E+JFx+hd6p4rjVnBObZXhrC

*you might have to copy/paste link

and i put together picture
es of my gears:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/405/62844971.jpg/

and a my stats:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/gw113g.jpg/

So, what shall i use this little guy for?
mostly dungeons, i like exploring all the dungeons, also farm them but i prefere to do different ones sometimes!
actually i’m runnin after the dungeon master title, but just for fun! and after that i will jump into fractals, to see what it’s look like..

also wanna do pretty much everything, open world, jp and even wvw maybe, but i guess i’d use the warrior for that.

i did this build myself, watched tons of videos understood very little, and did my own way, which is most likely wrong in some points.
Up to lvl80 i used a condition build but what i didn’t like was the low direct damange, so while worked for exo gear i moved to berserker mostly replacing the couple of carion i had.

well my actual impression is that the more i move to DD the more i get squishier, not only for lower survival stat but also for the gameplay required, i found indeed death blossom an awsome mix of evasion and CD, a skill you won’t use wit bsk gears.

what i like of this build is that even if mixing cd and dd i have to leave out some surviveablity, i still have mobility & cd while doing a decent dd.

I use D/D because thief is simply made for that, is imho like the gs for the warrior.
most often i use shortbow as second weapon because i like the ability to hit multiple foes with 1 skill, because of the two aoe, and the good amounf of condition you can put on mob groups, the cripple+evade and the shadowstep-on-demand!
on some single target or bosses i switch to p/p and spam unload, but that’s the gameplay style that drove me away a bit from warrior so i keep this at minimum (you can still see the two rare i use for that).
I love to have swiftness, calltops an might on evade (don’t really see might doing difference), getting boons for not getting hit, and I can dodge most of attacks with dead blossom so the point is to get hit less often, even if I don’t know the animations at perfection..
Now question is:
Do you guys think I can improve something?
Did I do something really dumb?
You think a hybrid dd cd build is viable? Will it be less efficient than her “extreme” counterparts?
Thanks in advance for you contribution!!

in Thief

Posted by: Plague.5046

Plague.5046

I don’t pretend to be an expert, but if you want to do fractals as a berserker melee thief, feline grace minor in acrobatics and some emergency stuff from shadow arts isn’t just a suggestion. That extra dodge and stealth utility is really important if you are meleeing. You can’t just deathblossom forever. Unless you are doing a bleed build, I wouldn’t use caltrops from trickery.
Thrill of the crime is a lot better for you, and your team. Especially if those caltrops are causing bleeds and blocking another condition damage user from getting max damage stacks. I would also maybe look into flanking strikes instead of bountiful thief because it’s usually pretty rare that mobs have more than one buff, if that. If you go into WvW, though, you could just easily swap back to BT.

I don’t want to rewrite your entire build, but you could move at least 5-10 points and change some of the major traits to be a lot more relevant to your team by doing more damage, dodging more, and even buffing a bit.

(edited by Plague.5046)

in Thief

Posted by: Jericho.4521

Jericho.4521

I think your traits and stats might be a bit too spread out.

Stats: You have medium / high-ish power + crit, with very low armor as a trade off for some medium condition damage. If you want to go for direct damage, straight berserkers or zerkers mixed with Valk / Knights here and there works well, for condition damage I would go for Carrion everything. But either way, I’d spec for one or the other personally.

Traits: Again, spread too thin here. I’d drop trickery completely (unless you want to go full conditions) and instead go for Shadow Arts, Acrobatics, or both. Also, I tend to go less (or none) into Deadly Arts and more into Critical Strikes, as I feel like it gives more bang for your buck. With crit strikes, I’d either go 10, or 30. 20 is kind of a waste on it’s own.

Last thing: I personally don’t like condition damage for dungeons. Running more than 1 person using conditions and you tend to start stepping on each other’s DPS.