poor sports are a little disappointing.

in Thief

Posted by: Achey.3612

Achey.3612

i dunno… firstly, I find it interesting that p/d isn’t often talked about in the forums.

second… people say p/d is a cheese build, but so many people on the forums complain about backstab, so isn’t that cheesier? again… I dunno…

anyway, something that I’ve been encountering lately in WvW is when I solo roam, or roam with a few close friends, the people that I stomp block/whisper me. not to say gf or gg, but to complain about my build. yes because It totally has nothing to do with the time I spend researching every class and how to counter (yes, I do that on my spare time because I like winning… problem?)

it has nothing to do with learning to predict when an enemy class is about to burst. it has nothing to do with taking time to learn how to use my class. one can definitely admit that p/d is a simple build, but it takes much more to make it so you can 1v3, efficiently. also if you look it up, there are tons of videos on youtube where every class can do the same.

but I suppose I digress. it’s really disappointing that there are so much poor sportsmanship and I know it’s not something I should really complain about, but when I’m getting pm’d like 3 times every session about the same thing, it gets a little annoying.

anyway, here’s a little video of my friend and I stalling and defending against another server.

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Welcome to being a thief.
You’re build is cheese even if it has only ever killed a squirrel.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

in Thief

Achey.3612

I’ve been a thief since I started playing gw2 . it’s been a couple years but I STILL only have 1 lvl 80 character, haven’t completed the story at all, aaaaaaand hardly have done any map completion ^^; embarrassing yes but I love wvw and spvp

in Thief

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

see it this way
you haven’t done your job as a thief unless you got called names at least once per day

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in Thief

Posted by: Josh.5839

Josh.5839

@op

Wow those guys are awful. Think a competent group wouldve killed you atleast several times especially during your panic stealths.

in Thief

Posted by: Helly.2597

Helly.2597

P/D is a strong build, I don’t think people would deny that. Due to the nature of conditions, you can build very defensively and just whittle someone down and eventually pull off those 1v3s you mention in your post.

That being said, perhaps the reason p/d isn’t discussed on the forums is due to the playstyle that it lends itself to. Steal, 5, 1, 3, wait 3seconds, 5, 1, 3. Its an extremely predictable build imo, especially when played as condi. It also doesn’t have a lot of interesting chances to showcase mechanical skill when compared to d/p (Either PS or Executioner not SA) or S/D. This means you don’t often have people wanting advice or discussion on how to play it properly. By itself it defines a high skill floor low skill cap build for thief. Hence lending itself towards a cheese status and limited discussion on the forums.

As far as the video, I think it reinforces my points about the build itself. You did a decent job playing the build effectively (although you did have 5 others there with you at one point), and showcased perhaps the strongest positive the build has; confusing and distracting players who do not know the proper approach to countering the build.

People call me Hobo.
Violent Tendency [vT]
Ferguson’s Crossing Roamer

(edited by Helly.2597)

in Thief

Posted by: Verilan.2963

Verilan.2963

Meh, not impressed, this was average/decent at best.
Agree with Helly in regards to P/D, very well explained.

Of course, as you look at the fight, the poor ranger did everything right,
yet was beaten by an omnipotent, invisible assassin of justice, or whatever.
Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Cygnus.6903

Cygnus.6903

QQ²

Right, the first thing you should do is acknowledge that P/D condi is not only simple, but too forgiving.

Then, accept that you do not wish to try a harder build to overcome your opponents based on skill, rather then a forgiving build.

If you can not accept this, you could decide to try a glass cannon thief build for a little more suspense. You will end up dying, then you get better and you start to wreck face again. People will start whispering again, telling you how bad you are for playing D/P.

This ordeal will finally enlighten you that this is a game, and you shouldn’t let it get to you.

P.S.: Try P/D zerk.

I only state my opinion unless stated otherwise.
Hulk Roaming Montages/Build Vids
I always rage but never quit.

in Thief

Posted by: Nephrite.6954

Nephrite.6954

Meh continue to do what you want other classes have their own cheese builds too… I mean look at engis, PU mesmers ect…

in Thief

Posted by: mango.9267

mango.9267

I think the responses in this thread are being far too generous. Your gameplay needs a lot of work mechanically, and your decision making is very slow. It helps that the players in your video are bad and that your build is very easy to play, to the extent that it often carries bad players.

Yes, every class has cheesy builds, but that doesn’t make yours any less cheesy, nor should that fact justify sticking to a faceroll build. Other builds will force you to learn the thief mechanics, improve your gameplay, and contribute more to your team.

That’s not to say that you shouldn’t play how you want or anything like that. If you enjoy P/D condi, then go for it. I realize not everyone has the time or intent to improve their gameplay, but at the very least be aware about how much the build does for you.

Second Child

in Thief

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

On top of this, this sort of rant is kind of old now, and not exclusive to the Thief itself. P/D is fairly strong and quite intuitive to manage 1vsMany with. I do hate to fight it because I can rarely be bothered to have the patience to bait all the major evasion cooldowns before slaughtering the wielder of these two weapons, and when playing it, I prefer something with a little more ‘oomph’.

Concerning the people themselves, they’ll always find a way to shove their whine down your throat and point at you for something you may or may not have. For a whole year I’ve had a good amount of Thieves, amongst all the people (believe it or not but the whine is strong should an assassination attempt fail terri-badly) calling me a “perplexity piece of kitten” when I was using Traveler runes, as a Zerker rifle and then as a Celestial rifle build, one of the first of its kind. The fact that I smashed them with a Pry Bar and that it applied 5 Confusion stacks was enough for them to make the perplexity statement, I used to be sorry, trying to explain myself and now it’s just pointless. Many people can’t be reasoned with and it’s up to them to find out.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

(edited by MrForz.1953)

in Thief

Posted by: Nephrite.6954

Nephrite.6954

One more thing I like to add, playing this build for the long run won’t do you good. You’ll never be able to down players that are experienced against builds like this, it’s pretty easy to counter in my opinion(perplexity would be tougher but non the less). I can melt this thief build in mere seconds once I get on my engineer all I need to do is bring enough condi clears,make sure you miss all your CnD n make sure you blow all your cool downs even if you run d/p you’ll eventually run out of initiative and bam you’ll be down if you don’t flee. Anyhoe It’s best to try other more exotic unpredictable builds especially s/d, you can go condi or condi hybrid (d/d)even just make it unique in a sense where it suits you but then again maybe this build suits you cause of how easy it is to grasp.

(edited by Nephrite.6954)

in Thief

Posted by: Narkodx.1472

Narkodx.1472

I’ve been a thief since I started playing gw2 . it’s been a couple years but I STILL only have 1 lvl 80 character, haven’t completed the story at all, aaaaaaand hardly have done any map completion ^^; embarrassing yes but I love wvw and spvp

You’ve been playing way too long to be using Signet of Shadows and Hidden Thief

Indeed disappointing

Shadow Refuge in the middle of the whole zerg so many CnD missed and blocked

Carried by SA and Dire gear

in Thief

Posted by: Kiro.3164

Kiro.3164

Same here, closest toons I have to 80 are a Lv65 Guardian and a Lv54 Necromancer.

(I been gone for a full year and that necro was level 1 on friday, lets just say I got sucked back into GW2…)

I found the combat of the other classes too slow for my taste,and for whatever reason I enjoy necro more than thief now.

Main: Lv80 Thief
Alts: Lv80 Necromancer, Lv80 Mesmer
[GoF] Blackgate

(edited by Kiro.3164)

in Thief

Achey.3612

i have to agree with a lot of you, especially with the one who commented on my panic stealths. i often have off days but sometimes i have those “in the zone” moments like in this video (the last fight where my 1v4 turns into a 2v4)

and narkodx, i run signet because i solo stomp camps and moving from camp to camp faster is always a good thing. i actually use scorpion wire when im more in a combative mood.

(nother edit) that first video really doesn’t show off anything special :P and all your guy’s speculations are definately justified. i get sloppy often after roaming all day

(edited by Achey.3612)

in Thief

Posted by: Helly.2597

Helly.2597

i have to agree with a lot of you, especially with the one who commented on my panic stealths. i often have off days but sometimes i have those “in the zone” moments like in this video (the last fight where my 1v4 turns into a 2v4)

and narkodx, i run signet because i solo stomp camps and moving from camp to camp faster is always a good thing. i actually use scorpion wire when im more in a combative mood.

(nother edit) that first video really doesn’t show off anything special :P and all your guy’s speculations are definately justified. i get sloppy often after roaming all day

That second video doesn’t help your case. In the necro fight alone you miss 4 CnDs. Not from them being smart or dodging, you just kind of miss them. Then you let arguably the slowest class in game get a ton of distance on you before finally taking them down. The end fight showcases once again the build’s strength of killing terrible players.

You have a lb ranger who in all likelihood was using his face on the keyboard, never even getting off a rapid fire or more than 1 or 2 autoattacks before going down (in a span of 30s+). There is a staff ele who is auto attacking in fire the entire time, instead of just throwing on aoes on it’s allies. People didn’t start dropping until the medi guard came in as well, so its hard to claim that was a result of you playing well.

People call me Hobo.
Violent Tendency [vT]
Ferguson’s Crossing Roamer

in Thief

Achey.3612

:U guess it doesn’t lol. low tier server, low tier players maybe :P theres lots of things i;m not good at but 90% of the time when i 1v1 i win at least. but thats what thieves are tailored for right?

in Thief

Achey.3612

anyway, i at least learned that i definately need to learn to work on my CnD timing, so thanks for that

in Thief

Posted by: Narkodx.1472

Narkodx.1472

That second video doesn’t help your case. In the necro fight alone you miss 4 CnDs. Not from them being smart or dodging, you just kind of miss them. Then you let arguably the slowest class in game get a ton of distance on you before finally taking them down. The end fight showcases once again the build’s strength of killing terrible players.

You have a lb ranger who in all likelihood was using his face on the keyboard, never even getting off a rapid fire or more than 1 or 2 autoattacks before going down (in a span of 30s+). There is a staff ele who is auto attacking in fire the entire time, instead of just throwing on aoes on it’s allies. People didn’t start dropping until the medi guard came in as well, so its hard to claim that was a result of you playing well.

LOL it’s all sad but true

Now I know why people rage at you man

You are carried HARD by the conditions

You wouldn’t kill a kitten thing in full zerk gear

in Thief

Achey.3612

i used to run zerk but thats a different play style. takes more patience

in Thief

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

i used to run zerk but thats a different play style. takes more patience

Even full Valk/Cav 06620 DP takes more skill than the spec you’re playing. I wouldnt call that “patience”.-

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

QQ²

Right, the first thing you should do is acknowledge that P/D condi is not only simple, but too forgiving.

Then, accept that you do not wish to try a harder build to overcome your opponents based on skill, rather then a forgiving build.

If you can not accept this, you could decide to try a glass cannon thief build for a little more suspense. You will end up dying, then you get better and you start to wreck face again. People will start whispering again, telling you how bad you are for playing D/P.

This ordeal will finally enlighten you that this is a game, and you shouldn’t let it get to you.

Considering everything is called cheese/op… why not run an easier build, I mean if you’re enjoying it why not.

Though yeah anything zerker is higher skill cap, mainly due to how squishy you will become.

You sound like you want unforgiving high-skill-cap builds that aren’t beginner friendly. Gotta have diversity… for nights when you just don’t care to try but still want to play a thief.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

in Thief

Posted by: MightyMicah.7451

MightyMicah.7451

@Achey Ignore these chumps. Duh, the build carries. That’s because it’s a strong build. Unless someone can demonstrate that other thief builds will pay off better for more skillful gameplay, then why switch? I mean if a build is good, use it. Just because another build is “harder” or “takes more skill” doesn’t mean you should run it. The hardest build I’ve ever observed is running around naked with no traits but I don’t see anyone pushing that build to get “skilled.”

At the end of the day, play what you want and get good at it. Get dang freaking good. Then, when someone disses you for having a “cheese” build, you can laugh at their stomped body.

By the way, I’ve played since launch and ran every thief build in existence. My personal favorite (at least for WvW roaming) is P/D and I believe it to be the strongest build. So I’ve taken the time to get dang good at it, and it’s still a process, but I’ve been able to pull off some crazy outnumbered fights even against talented players.

So yeah. Get good at it and kick butt. And ignore all the nerds who want you to be a part of their system. (Someone hands me a D/P build in Gw2. Whatchu want me to do with this? Run it? I threw it on the ground!!!….anyone? lol)

This is that new sound. Ya’ll ain’t ready.

in Thief

Posted by: Cygnus.6903

Cygnus.6903

QQ²

Considering everything is called cheese/op… why not run an easier build, I mean if you’re enjoying it why not.

Though yeah anything zerker is higher skill cap, mainly due to how squishy you will become.

You sound like you want unforgiving high-skill-cap builds that aren’t beginner friendly. Gotta have diversity… for nights when you just don’t care to try but still want to play a thief.

The whole point of my post was to get OP to accept that while P/D is a low-skill higly forgiving build, he should still play it and don’t give a kitten about wether or not people complain. Yet, they are right when they say it is cheese, it is a carry-me-build.

You can play easier builds all you want, seriously it’s a good thing. Though I think higher risk should reward better if you have a similar or better skill level. Sadly, P/D condi proves Anet disagrees with me.

I only state my opinion unless stated otherwise.
Hulk Roaming Montages/Build Vids
I always rage but never quit.

in Thief

Posted by: JaeleCt.3967

JaeleCt.3967

my enemies salt sustains me when im on my theif. im on an all sodium diet at this point

in Thief

Posted by: MightyMicah.7451

MightyMicah.7451

This thread ………. for god sake , anet pls , nerf Shadow Rejunevation … The level of play in this video is … omg , so low . This is a shame for what the role of a thief is

Too true! Everyone knows thief shouldn’t be able to heal or stealth. That doesn’t even fit the lore. Am I right?

This is that new sound. Ya’ll ain’t ready.