power+precision or condition dmg+percision

in Thief

Posted by: StarNightz.8496

StarNightz.8496

Which is better? 30 30 0 0 10 or 10 30 0 0 30?

Kimditcher

in Thief

Posted by: Nahan.5043

Nahan.5043

Playing another class i guess is better than this
.. Full dps build thief or nothing thats the spirit.
Blame anet for everything else is useless
I mean overall thief is kitten in his current situation so play another class yeah thats it!

(edited by Nahan.5043)

in Thief

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

presicion is not so good without good amount of power and crit damage, so presicion and condition damage doesnt work well together. Btw biggest part of that comes from gear, not from your traits.

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

in Thief

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

Playing another class i guess is better than this
.. Full dps build thief or nothing thats the spirit.
Blame anet for everything else is useless
I mean overall thief is kitten in his current situation so play another class yeah thats it!

+1

in Thief

StarNightz.8496

So dps theives are not viable any more?

Kimditcher

in Thief

Posted by: Incurafy.6329

Incurafy.6329

Of course they’re still viable, but Rampager gear has always sucked.

If you just want straight out glass cannon DPS then go for full berserker armour/weapons/trinkets with 25/30/0/0/15.

Rotation: CnD, backstab, auto-chain, repeat until less than 25% health then spam HS until opponent is dead (as long as you can finish them off with all of those heartseekers, if you can’t then keep CnD BS chaining).

Use your Shortbow to clusterbomb/trick shot when unable to be in melee range.

EDIT: Wait, you were talking about PvE, right? Please specify in the first post in future.

thiefhitfor2kbetternerf
all is vain

in Thief

Posted by: Azraeel.1238

Azraeel.1238

Man, they made the thief sound pathetic, we are still good. I personally prefer the crit damage thief over conditions. They have totally different game play, so try to check which style you like better. You don’t need to go full berserker, you can mix between Berserker, Valkyrie, and Cavalier!

80 Necromancer (Main) | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 80 Warrior
Engineer and Elementalist in progress…

in Thief

StarNightz.8496

Well is there a build that work in both pve and wvw?

Kimditcher

in Thief

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

p/d – pve no / wvw yes
d/p – pve 3/4, bad at boss / wvw yes
d/d – pve 3/4, bad vs groups / wvw yes
shortbow – pve yes vs groups / wvw no (see the last nerf)
p/p – yes – single target only / wvw 1/4
s/d – pve 3/4, vs groups is 1/2 / wvw yes
s/p – pve yes / wvw 1/2

in Thief

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

The trait line you chose to go in should be based on which trait skills you need, the stats you get from traits are just a bonus. Stats comes from anything ells but traits.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Thief

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

My advice for anyone playing anyone class … pick your trait points based on the traits you want. Most of your stats will come from your gear.

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Thief

Posted by: stinkypants.8419

stinkypants.8419

shortbow – pve yes vs groups / wvw no (see the last nerf)

yeah, it was a nerf, but come on… cluster bomb, choking gas, disabling shot, infiltrator’s arrow. sure trick shot doesn’t hit as much as it used to and i’m still annoyed about it, but to say shortbow isn’t viable for wv3 is redonk.

(Alvyn | Crystal Desert )

in Thief

Sebrent.3625

Anyone that tells you pistol offhand isn’t viable in PvE, hasn’t given it much thought. Black Powder alone makes it ridiculously powerful in PvE.

If there are weapons you want to try or build ideas, I’d say go ahead and try them. I think the Thief community is currently in the funk that the Ranger community is just now getting out of … it’s been stagnant when it comes to trying and sharing new ideas.

As far as builds that are viable everyone, I always suggest that people take:

• 1 ranged weapon (900+ range)
  • 1 non-projectile weapon (won’t be affected by projectile blocks/reflects
    • Doesn’t have to be melee (Mesmer Greatsword and Elementalist Scepter are good ranged examples that fit here)

I agree with stinkypants that anyone who thinks shortbow isn’t viable in WvW is off their rocker.

Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Thief

StarNightz.8496

Well im kinda new to this game and ive been trying all the classes….and thieves mobility makes it really fun for me…currently im using dag/p and pistol/dagger usinf number 3 skill (sry I do not know the skill name) to close the gap and heartseeker (?) Than switching to p/d to get out of range. Is this good weapon combo?

Kimditcher

in Thief

Posted by: Helly.2597

Helly.2597

I run the 10/30/0/0/30, but its only really viable if you’re going S/D for boon stealing and stun on steal. If you’re going D/P or D/D the 30 in the last trait line is pretty much wasted.

People call me Hobo.
Violent Tendency [vT]
Ferguson’s Crossing Roamer

in Thief

Sebrent.3625

Well im kinda new to this game and ive been trying all the classes….and thieves mobility makes it really fun for me…currently im using dag/p and pistol/dagger usinf number 3 skill (sry I do not know the skill name) to close the gap and heartseeker (?) Than switching to p/d to get out of range. Is this good weapon combo?

Dagger+Pistol and Pistol+Dagger are both quite viable in the current meta.

Thief is amazing mobility. You have the power to pick and choose whatever target you want (within reason). As long as you aren’t super glassy and don’t make some fatal mistakes, you can escape from most situations as well.

Thief, like Mesmer, requires creativity to get the most out of. It has a high skill ceiling.

If you enjoy those weapon sets, I’d suggest sticking with them (unless you find you like something else better, of course) and whenever you run into a good thief using one or both of those, strike up a conversatoin with them. I do this all the time with players I’ve had discussions with on the forums, run into in WvW and private duel servers, etc..

Heck, Osii and I don’t agree on everything with Thieves on here in the forums (see my chat history from like 2-3+ months ago) but he just came out of the blue this week and started chatting me up about Mesmers (we both play them too and both run with [GF] in WvW from time to time … small world, lol).

Good luck to you.

Better yourself.

in Thief

StarNightz.8496

Ok thanks for the help to all …..should 9f bought the molten piax for my thief instead of my warrior

Kimditcher

in Thief

Posted by: Azraeel.1238

Azraeel.1238

I personally use my build for both PvE and WvW. I use 0/30/30/10/0. The trait from 10 in acrobatics can be switched around between gaining might on dodge (pve) and lower fall damage (WvW). As for the stats, make sure you have at least 1300 toughness, at least 15k HP, not less than 45% critical chance, and 80%+ critical damage. I use D/D and shortbow just because I’m used to them, leveled from 1-80 using this setup.

80 Necromancer (Main) | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 80 Warrior
Engineer and Elementalist in progress…