[pvp] can p/p be an offensive support set?

in Thief

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

Q:

hey guys,

I was considering using p/p + dash instead of shortbow. In your opinion is it worth trading bound and the 10% damage modifier for unload’s might stacks + dash ?

on a d/p main set:

shortbow & bound
-vertical movement
- area poison on downed
-easy access to stealth ( black powder + bound ), +10% damages (4sec)
-area damage on bound
-easy blast finisher access

p/p & dash
- 8 might stacks on unload on hit
- interrupt
- bleed pressure ( for what it’s worth on a power build )
- interrupt access
- minus 10% dammage (4sec)
-perma swiftness + long range dodge
-condi clean : imob, chill, cripple

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: Eastcorn.5901

Eastcorn.5901

A:

The question of replacing shortbow as your secondary weapon set is less of a question about modifiers and damage, and more about whether you can afford to lose infiltrator’s arrow, as that gives you a lot of mobility without spending endurance.

This balance iteration is still young. If a thief spec appears that specializes in killing people (besides +1ing) or team fighting and less about back-capping, then P/P can potentially be an okay alternative to shortbow.

So long as the primary benefit of thief is mobility and back-capping, then shortbow will be essential to any build.

in Thief

Posted by: alain.1659

alain.1659

Pvp or wvw?
Elite traited or vanilla?

These are the important questions. Although d/p + p/p can barely work as well kitten in wvw, I have no idea about elite spec. Our pistols are completely boring right now. Richocet gone, no pierce, 900 range… Sad state of a once loved concept.

in Thief

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

Pvp, it’s in the title ^^

and elite spec since obviously bound and dash are linked to daredevil.

I’m not asking what is gone and how kitten it is now, but if it can be a competitive remplacement for shortbow’s utilities. Is the trade worth ? I know some people out there are better in in-game maths and adding modifiers, I’m not.

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: Anvil.9230

Anvil.9230

I’m playing P/P daredevil without a shortbow for now two months in WvW and PvE (I do not play a lot of small PvP match).

My objective was to play something different, without the very popular shortbow. The P/P seemed like a good choice because it balanced out the loss of mobility provided by the short bow with ranged attacks and CC effects.

According to that experience, to be efficient, very far from the “unload spam” cliché, playing P/P without a bow is a matter of anticipation with a very few tolerance to a bad choice.

The gameplay interest is less in the combination of attacks (although P / P is very well endowed with CC and placing an F4 at the right time can change a fight) than in the field use, management of distance, target selection and proper use of dodging or stealth skills according to the chosen model of survivability.

For me the great advantage of the increased of “discharge” and of the basic Attack introduced with the last update is that it allows to take a lot of defensive traits without sacrificing too much of dps or the autonomy of the character (which does not need to be glued to a boon provider and can play its skirmisher role).

Depending of your build and equipment, the survivability is not so bad even by harassing the enemy during a zerg fight without a short bow.

Because it allows me to continue to develop these aspects of P/P gameplay I am very satisfied with the last Update.

(edited by Anvil.9230)