s/d d/p whatchamacallit

s/d d/p whatchamacallit

in Thief

Posted by: Scribbles.3974

Scribbles.3974

hello fellow kin, in spite of recent topics being created harrying or class, well, the class that i seem to have my natural tallent with, im asking a question of builds, i recently just wanted to get into sword play a lot more, with the release of bonetti’s rapier, such a beautiful sword XD, anyways im mainly p/d sb so this is quite the oposite in my department, learning is rough, but its fun learning, when my internet isnt lagging and i can IS instead of waiting 5 years to port back to my location >_> anyways the build.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYEQRAoa8YlUmSOHcy9E95ExmCfKUuHO1oNtTBW1KA-jkzAYrQj7CExBmCBREAoCgJvhImAzajoIasqFM1pSt+MQujI7PGyKA-w

im not sure on traits, and the gear choices i was thinking about “benchmarks” instead of going full glassy, or full on bunkery, i wanted to meet certain benchmarks via a mix of gear/ weapons, id mainly be doing this for pve/wvw, spvp is…..bleh to say the least for me XD feedback, suggestions are welcome.

Dark Lotusblossom – 80 Thief
Bedroom Knights. [Sock]
Sea of Sorrows

s/d d/p whatchamacallit

in Thief

Posted by: Craig.2403

Craig.2403

hello fellow kin, in spite of recent topics being created harrying or class, well, the class that i seem to have my natural tallent with, im asking a question of builds, i recently just wanted to get into sword play a lot more, with the release of bonetti’s rapier, such a beautiful sword XD, anyways im mainly p/d sb so this is quite the oposite in my department, learning is rough, but its fun learning, when my internet isnt lagging and i can IS instead of waiting 5 years to port back to my location >_> anyways the build.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYEQRAoa8YlUmSOHcy9E95ExmCfKUuHO1oNtTBW1KA-jkzAYrQj7CExBmCBREAoCgJvhImAzajoIasqFM1pSt+MQujI7PGyKA-w

im not sure on traits, and the gear choices i was thinking about “benchmarks” instead of going full glassy, or full on bunkery, i wanted to meet certain benchmarks via a mix of gear/ weapons, id mainly be doing this for pve/wvw, spvp is…..bleh to say the least for me XD feedback, suggestions are welcome.

This is basically the build I run, but I run a slight variant on traits (same allocations, just take different ones). For critical strikes, I take precision→vitality instead of might on signet. For acrobatics, I take blinding powder on falling damage instead of movement speed in stealth. With d/p and s/d, you have plenty of movement skills and teleports, and swiftness on dodge roll, so you have plenty of movement speed, and you can use terrain to your advantage (watch yishis’s videos to see how he uses the trait as a free stealth). Also, the heal on ititiative use is very small, and you’re better off taking the 2 initiative every 10 seconds imo. Gear is pretty good, as you want to be around 50% crit chance without the signet, as most of the time the signet will be on cooldown. I personally use full zerkers, with valk weapons, as without hidden killer your dps will be much lower, but it is much more risk reward tradeoff.

Bummkin – ranger | Netherdark – thief | Crescor – mesmer | Gears Up – engi
[TFI]

s/d d/p whatchamacallit

in Thief

Posted by: Black Cat.1024

Black Cat.1024

I envy you people who can drop the shortbow, I actually feel naked without it. OT – If you’re able to run a D/P S/D effectively you can potentially make a daze thief, especially with the new perplexity runes. daze on headshot, tactical strike, steal (30 in trick) and with the confusion stacks – I see potential.

s/d d/p whatchamacallit

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

I typically use this. Downside is that you die if you get caught. One thing to mention is that I prefer is 0/15/30/25/0 over the 0/20/30/20/0 because there is rarely a time when I have absolutely full endurance, so a flat uptick of 10% of all damage over about 2% more crit chance and 5% crit damage makes more sense to me, but it comes down to playstyle.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQRAoa8YlYmiOHfy3E+5Ex+hdy9wpGtp9M4qVB-jEyAYrBRTECEVI0Jviox2GKiGraBTVSEV7NKiWNA-w

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

s/d d/p whatchamacallit

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

One thing you need to keep in mind when using sword is, you would want that third strike to hit (Crippling Strike) because that’s where a bulk of the damage is.

Now the problem with your build is that, you will never land that 3rd strike with sword — you’re just too glassy (looking at your 13k HP) — you need staying power, in other words, more Vitality.

I personally don’t like the Berserker set, especially when using S/D. So my suggestion is to have a combination of Soldier’s and Valkyrie’s (or maybe Cavs, depending on your play style which stats you need most).

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

s/d d/p whatchamacallit

in Thief

Scribbles.3974

thanks for the feedback, on the topic of being glassy, i dont feel its that glassy, im used to 15k hp, on pistol dagger, and thats with around the same toughness, the only thing i would consider me to be glassy against is condis, i still havent gotten used to the condi spam from everything, even after a year XD but thats just me. i havent gone to test this in spvp, mostly because of the gear choices, i wont be able to get this spec precicely, and money is a little tough atm, gotta go farm, but in my experience so far on my current set its mainly the conditions that do me in, i can sit and take face shots not for too long, like if lets say a warrior got me in his chain stun id go down pretty low, but id be ok, so its not like im taking 2 hits and dead. just my experience so far XD

editing this so there isnt a double post, ive changed up the build, to include the daze on steal, which im finding is quite nice, ive just gotta get the playstyle down. anyone else like using 30 tricks? also i took your advice and went with a knights amulet for pvp, its ok i guess, i dont die as much as if i was using say valkeries. but i am squishy as a kitten with 1k toughness

Bedroom Knights. [Sock]
Sea of Sorrows

(edited by Scribbles.3974)

s/d d/p whatchamacallit

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

thanks for the feedback, on the topic of being glassy, i dont feel its that glassy, im used to 15k hp, on pistol dagger, and thats with around the same toughness, the only thing i would consider me to be glassy against is condis, i still havent gotten used to the condi spam from everything, even after a year XD but thats just me. i havent gone to test this in spvp, mostly because of the gear choices, i wont be able to get this spec precicely, and money is a little tough atm, gotta go farm, but in my experience so far on my current set its mainly the conditions that do me in, i can sit and take face shots not for too long, like if lets say a warrior got me in his chain stun id go down pretty low, but id be ok, so its not like im taking 2 hits and dead. just my experience so far XD

I really don’t like repeating myself and I’ve already given you reason why you’re current HP is not suitable for sword. Also, there’s a big difference between P/D and S/x. You can go all glassy with Pistol main hand because you are often out of melee range, but if you want to land the 3rd strike from your sword, you need to have more survivability.

Using sword is a completely different play style compare to a dagger where the bulk of the damage is on the 1st hit, so you can dodge/evade after the first hit.

editing this so there isnt a double post, ive changed up the build, to include the daze on steal, which im finding is quite nice, ive just gotta get the playstyle down. anyone else like using 30 tricks? also i took your advice and went with a knights amulet for pvp, its ok i guess, i dont die as much as if i was using say valkeries. but i am squishy as a kitten with 1k toughness

My suggestion was for non-PvP because you said;

spvp is…..bleh to say the least for me XD

So no, knight amulet for PvP is not something I would pick up — ever.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

s/d d/p whatchamacallit

in Thief

Scribbles.3974

well thank you for the stern comment i was testing the levels of toughness versus vitality, and im not glassy on my pistol spec, im nearing the 1,9k toughness benchmark with about 1k+ healing

Bedroom Knights. [Sock]
Sea of Sorrows