sPvP. I am so lost, need motivational advice.

in Thief

Posted by: TwiceDead.1963

TwiceDead.1963

EDIT:
Since I made this thread, I have had a much better experience with the class. Thanks everyone for your timely advice, I’ve read all of it several times over the course of two weeks-ish.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Old:
Running D/P, and Shortbow. Marauder’s amulet with Scholar runes, straight from Metabattle.

I hear Thief is in a bad spot when it comes to PvP, so I ran to the class like a stubborn idiot because I like to play the underdogs to get a quicker understanding of things. Trial by Fire if you will.

But I feel oh so useless… I am a hapless noob in sPvP environment and I don’t really know how to deal with encounters. I have an FPS sense when it comes to PvP, MMO’s are a whole nother beast.

So I should target squishy people, +1 opponents and cap points. I get that much. What do I do when I encounter 1 person though? Because it seems I just get instantly wrecked as soon as I attempt a clean 1v1 due to blocks, AoE fields, and who knows what? Doesn’t exactly help that I gotta get close to do any real damage, and if I attempt a P/P build (which I have), I get wrecked by various reflects and other shenanigans.

I apologize because this post really only turned into a whine post, but I really am lost when it comes to sPvP, I don’t know what I am doing, and I feel like this isn’t something I can make up for in skill because I feel like even if I make the right plays, I am not equipped to deal with the opposition for a longer than very brief encounters before I outright HAVE to bail…

Or is Thief actually really strong in sPvP and I am just whining like a hapless noob?

(edited by TwiceDead.1963)

in Thief

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

Hey, welcome to the thief world

As a thief it is often more worth to decap a point and leave to +1 somewhere than decap and full cap (except home node). As a thief you play 1v1 in a “in and out” fashion. I mean you jump in, temporize by getting out of the fight ( stealth, dodge to put distance and so on ). You have the advantage of cooldown because of initiative. For exemple mesmer with no shatters left is a lot more easy to bring down.

How do you do that ? you gank, he will try to burst you, you disengage, wait a few secs, you gank again, he will have a signet to recharge shatters so he will try to burst you again, disengage, and repeat until you get the window of oportunity ( most skills on cooldown ). The truth is, the encounter is more difficult than that but you get the general idea.

In that setup, since you disengage a lot and avoid AOE, keeping a node is hard.

If you want to 1v1, then most of the case don’t play fair. Use the element of surprise. but once again you should avoid 1v1.

There are some games were a thief trully shine and you get the feeling that you where the deciding factor of every fights. Or your decap play slowly peel their score whereas yours just keep growing and growing.

You can try 1v1 in unranked, since there are absolutely everything out there. So you will get variety of levels and builds. if you want to have a chance in 1v1, the best answer is to know the rotations of the enemy. A rev used his herald heal ? I need to stop attacking or he wil get full health. That engi just went into elixir form ( auto at 25% hp ) ? when he gets out I will have a 1-2 sec window to burst him before he heals with healing turret + blast in water field.

Hope it helps

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

in Thief

TwiceDead.1963

It helps. Thank you.

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

I have been running this build and it has been doing well (for a thief):

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAoaWn0MBlOhFmCOOBkmiFkiirBCgHYu9n/9vrqygPA-TpBFABCcIAQ4EAQVZAAOCAxv/wCPAAA

Fairly tanky, decent condi removal and high spike damage. The trick is to dodge/Bound then Vault. Even better if you Bound through Black Powder and then Vault from stealth so they don’t see it coming. When they go low on health, switch to D/P and Heart Seeker.

NOTE: Take Rending Shade from Shadow Arts.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in Thief

Posted by: Silverbolt.2301

Silverbolt.2301

Thief is trash in sPvP. If you give enough kitten about winning, you should play anything but thief.

Having said that, your only job as a thief is to run to points that don’t have anyone sitting on it and decap it. As soon as you see an enemy coming for you/the point, run away. Just…run away. Don’t even waste your time trying to fight them until you have your allies fighting them.

The other part of your job as a thief is to always look for the lowest HP and the squishiest target, in team fights, that just recently used all their blocks, invulnerabilities, and passive in an attempt to try kill them by getting the surprise jump on them as they fight your allies. If you fail to kill them with a surprise jump, you’re probably about to get kittened – so, do what thief does best and run away. Come back later and try again.

Overall, your job is to run away and fight the capture points that are held by nobody, cause that’s what you do best – air fighting. You’re really good at kittening up the air and imaginary enemies.

in Thief

TwiceDead.1963

Thief is trash in sPvP. If you give enough kitten about winning, you should play anything but thief.

Having said that, your only job as a thief is to run to points that don’t have anyone sitting on it and decap it. As soon as you see an enemy coming for you/the point, run away. Just…run away. Don’t even waste your time trying to fight them until you have your allies fighting them.

The other part of your job as a thief is to always look for the lowest HP and the squishiest target, in team fights, that just recently used all their blocks, invulnerabilities, and passive in an attempt to try kill them by getting the surprise jump on them as they fight your allies. If you fail to kill them with a surprise jump, you’re probably about to get kittened – so, do what thief does best and run away. Come back later and try again.

Overall, your job is to run away and fight the capture points that are held by nobody, cause that’s what you do best – air fighting. You’re really good at kittening up the air and imaginary enemies.

This seems to be the consensus of most people I meet… But I will persevere with the underdog because I am stupidly stubborn… Or stubbornly stupid. Or both.

in Thief

Posted by: cyberzombie.7348

cyberzombie.7348

From a fps perspective, theif is like a tf2 spy. Its a type of class where you gotta play it smart not tough. If you want to improve your 1v1 skill I recommend dueling servers. Ppl there can teach you about the class at the same time learn the mechanics of others. I find it a good class but don’t expect to carry teams in conquest. Personally I perfer p/p over shortbow so I can whack opponents w/o getting caught in crossfire.

What good is a medic w/o a patient?

in Thief

Wargameur.6950

This seems to be the consensus of most people I meet… But I will persevere with the underdog because I am stupidly stubborn… Or stubbornly stupid. Or both.

That is the mindset to get good on thief ^^ Thief is not trash in spvp, it’s just highly dependent on the team comp. It is underwhelming at pro level, but hey we are far from that so thief have a nice place, but you have to work a bit harder than others to find it

(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: emkelly.2371

emkelly.2371

I got to diamond on my gingerbread man build this season, then i stopped playing for four weeks because of life stuff. Thief can still make the cut, but you have to be willing to play though it’s weaknesses, which are many.

I will probably not go back to thief next season. My warrior is calling me, but i enjoyed my visit on the class.

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

I have been running this build and it has been doing well (for a thief):

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAoaWn0MBlOhFmCOOBkmiFkiirBCgHYu9n/9vrqygPA-TpBFABCcIAQ4EAQVZAAOCAxv/wCPAAA

Fairly tanky, decent condi removal and high spike damage. The trick is to dodge/Bound then Vault. Even better if you Bound through Black Powder and then Vault from stealth so they don’t see it coming. When they go low on health, switch to D/P and Heart Seeker.

NOTE: Take Rending Shade from Shadow Arts.

I think Intell sigil underrated on thief as are the DD runes. We have a bursty in and out style and those complement that style. My own builds similar outside taking trickery over SA. I just like to couple the burst from the intell with quickness.

in Thief

Silverbolt.2301

That is the mindset to get good on thief ^^ Thief is not trash in spvp, it’s just highly dependent on the team comp. It is underwhelming at pro level, but hey we are far from that so thief have a nice place, but you have to work a bit harder than others to find it

…and this is the mindset of a highly ignorant, yet stubborn thief. Believing something is a certain way, because you want it to be that way so bad that you fool yourself into thinking that’s how it is.

in Thief

Posted by: Tomiyou.3790

Tomiyou.3790

Don’t listen to people that thief is trash in sPvP. It’s just that guardian is pure aids to d/p thief, so you pretty much only wait for Steal + backstab and then Head shot. Decap and spam poison with shortbow on downed ppl. Sounds simple, but it isn’t. Not with the amount of random aoe damage and cc flying around.

in Thief

Posted by: BrokenGlass.9356

BrokenGlass.9356

I’ve been using a condition thief in spvp lately. I have so many dodges I feel indestructible. I can survive a 4v1 long enough to get my teammates to come to my aid (if we have voice coms up).

I still run and decap, but I don’t have to run from 1v1’s… or sometimes even 1v2s. The damage is nuts.

I love thief.

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

I’ve been using a condition thief in spvp lately. I have so many dodges I feel indestructible. I can survive a 4v1 long enough to get my teammates to come to my aid (if we have voice coms up).

I still run and decap, but I don’t have to run from 1v1’s… or sometimes even 1v2s. The damage is nuts.

I love thief.

Inhale

Well, that’s because condi (D/D I assume) is stupidly easy for how effective it is, almost impossible to punish 1v1 if you play with half a brain, and pretty much nobody has means to deal with in when playing against the meta.

Exhale

in Thief

Posted by: emkelly.2371

emkelly.2371

I love thief.

Inhale

Well, that’s because condi (D/D I assume) is stupidly easy for how effective it is, almost impossible to punish 1v1 if you play with half a brain, and pretty much nobody has means to deal with in when playing against the meta.

Exhale

Inhale

• Kite and wait for death blossom
  • Burst as Death blossom ends
    Exhale

in Thief

Wargameur.6950

…and this is the mindset of a highly ignorant, yet stubborn thief. Believing something is a certain way, because you want it to be that way so bad that you fool yourself into thinking that’s how it is.

I know you are salty about thief, I don’t know your pvp level and I don’t really care. But there is a place for thieves in pvp, yes it is harder than other classes for the same amount of effectiveness. Yes you need an excess of awareness. You don’t like it ? it’s fine, you have the right to not like it.

I played my thief during the 4 pvp seasons, reaching ruby the 3 seasons before and diamond this season. It may be not mean much level wise, but I played enough to know what I’m talking about.

Anyway, except your mindset, your advises were on point.

(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I’ve always enjoyed condi-bunker when SPvPing as a thief. It tends to trip up people with the wrong expectations of what the class can do, and when you don’t rely on stealth for survival you can be shockingly difficult to uproot.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Thief

Silverbolt.2301

I know you are salty about thief, I don’t know your pvp level and I don’t really care. But there is a place for thieves in pvp, yes it is harder than other classes for the same amount of effectiveness. Yes you need an excess of awareness. You don’t like it ? it’s fine, you have the right to not like it.

I played my thief during the 4 pvp seasons, reaching ruby the 3 seasons before and diamond this season. It may be not mean much level wise, but I played enough to know what I’m talking about.

Anyway, except your mindset, your advises were on point.

I am so salty that I jump around in joy and giggle like a little school girl when I see a thief in the enemy team…you got me.

in Thief

Posted by: Highlie.7641

Highlie.7641

well you said you where new?

To make a successful thief you need to know the mechanics of other professions.
take a day and just roll other professions, this will tell you what to dodge and when.

in Thief

TwiceDead.1963

I have noticed something… We thieves, we are so kittening good at running away! It’s amazing how we can zoom across half the map in a matter of seconds and leave our opponents, who are already thirsty for our blood, thirsting for a bit longer.I actually love it!

Dying? NOT ME! I’ve got WINGS OF FLIGHT! (but not fight)…

take a day and just roll other professions, this will tell you what to dodge and when.

Well, new to PvP, not the classes, or the mechanics of the game. I know every class as I’ve played them all in PvE, but PvP is a whole different adventure.

in Thief

Wargameur.6950

I have noticed something… We thieves, we are so kittening good at running away! It’s amazing how we can zoom across half the map in a matter of seconds and leave our opponents, who are already thirsty for our blood, thirsting for a bit longer.I actually love it!

Well, new to PvP, not the classes, or the mechanics of the game. I know every class as I’ve played them all in PvE, but PvP is a whole different adventure.

He was talking about the mechanisms in a pvp context. playing a DH in pve and fighting one on a node with a thief is a whole different matter. Vulnerability frames are not the same in pve and pvp.

(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

in Thief

TwiceDead.1963

He was talking about the mechanisms in a pvp context. playing a DH in pve and fighting one on a node with a thief is a whole different matter. Vulnerability frames are not the same in pve and pvp.

Eh, I’ll pass. I’ll just stick with thief and learn through brute eagle-eyed observation. Mechanics are easy to grasp once you’ve been on the receiving end for long enough… With a little reading on the side.

in Thief

Posted by: bluri.2653

bluri.2653

you can try check this vid out and see if it helps you somewhat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LidcoMBAusQ

its mainly commenting what i do/rotations etc

Sindrener – Rank55 Dragons/Orange Logo/Team Aggression
http://www.twitch.tv/sindrenerr

in Thief

Posted by: Weo weo.6378

Weo weo.6378

^ Follow Sindrener if you want to get better at Spvp thief. He’s one of the best out there.

Unfortunately for thief, you’re more sufficient in keeping that eye on the map and backcapping/ decapping points. Your biggest advantage is mobility.
Most of the time in fights, I usually aim to down whomever is a “cannon” in the other team, usually their necro or mesmers.

You need to be especially careful when going in as thief, bursting people when their cooldowns are on. Sometimes that extra 1-2 seconds of waiting gets you a long way and is the difference between winning a teamfight. You can’t expect to rush into a fight and burst someone down anymore.

Multiple Class Disorder

in Thief

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

I am a bad thief but can win a match …
And i use a totally stange build some might see as crap. Maraudes with trapper rune and P/P + SB. SB is important.
Why the hell traper? —> I need all ini for unload and headshot or shadowshot. Traps help escape or kite and leave back a mine … I donĀ“t fight 1:1 unless totally needed or target is so weak that i can kite him dead in seconds.

1.) Get Map awareness
2.) Move to free point to decap
3.) Run away on incoming oponent.
4.) Keep map awareness
5.) run to a +1, unload and headhot (pul impact traited)
6.) Stay map aware and move on.
7.) Get to next location like creature or another decap.
8.) Keep map awarenes.
9.) Move on if you see someone coming to you …

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

I think Intell sigil underrated on thief as are the DD runes. We have a bursty in and out style and those complement that style. My own builds similar outside taking trickery over SA. I just like to couple the burst from the intell with quickness.

Agreed. Moving away from Precision opens up Toughness or Vitality for more survival. With those Runes/Sigils the DPS loss isn’t significant either.

I also agree with the SA change. SA is the version we run in WvW. I just don’t find long stealths or steal stealths as useful as pure DPS in sPvP but that is certainly personal preference.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in Thief

Posted by: Paarthurnax.8931

Paarthurnax.8931

On season 2 I was on the same spot as you, couldnt get out of Ruby. Until I meet another thief who created a free account just to reach legendary division for the third time, I challenged him for a pvp duel and if I won he needed to give me his build, I managed to win 2 duels and lost 1. After that he gave me his build (a vanilla build with some changes since he didnt have HoT). And I realised that I was pretty bad cause he made to legendary with such a weak build.

Then he kinda liked me and taught me how to control the map, some thief tricks, and I made to diamond. After that I got stuck on last tier of diamond, couldnt get out of it. So I meet another guy, an warrior (season 2 warriors are pretty much useless, didnt do damage, dies easily, but now on season 4, warriors are pretty strong). And he told me, “If I can make to legendary with warrior only, you can too.”

I think all we need is just a little motivation, my build is not even close to the meta and I’ve been on legendary since season 2 now, so I believe Im a pretty good thief, have won duels against some pro players, even some matches with them premade.

Alot of thieves tell me to get a “real build”, the difference between me and then are that they’re usually pretty bad, cause d/d condi is a pretty weak build against good thieves.

If you want to get a hold of some good thieves out there, the best ones I know are Caed and Neurozene, the only ones I never managed to kill.

- Khrava

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Most “real builds” are cheese, since that’s about all that’s being played by everyone on all professions these days.

There are some builds which just will not work well, though.

in Thief

Posted by: Urejt.5648

Urejt.5648

feels bad man. U ll suck untill u learn by trial what to dodge. u gotta learn every skill from the enemy. Not only tooltips but also all animations on all races. Even smallest asura. Better switch to rev and win all games.

Yo Hooj Jest Pole