sword/pistol for leveling up?

in Thief

Posted by: King Noob IV.3560

King Noob IV.3560

I feel weak in dungeons (i’m level 50) so I’m doing a bunch of things and one thing is going from d/p to s/p or what ever the best weapon combo is. are those the best if I’ll be doing mostly dungeon stuff until 80?

edit: nvm this build does a kitten load of damage
why the fuk isnt this the best combo you just spam 2 and 3 over and over again and theres nothing they can do about it

D/D Elementalist takes no skill but is good at everything in the game.
Mesmer is unfun to play against and does everything better than thieves.
Hoping those two get gutted with nerfs

(edited by King Noob IV.3560)

in Thief

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

They? You mean mobs? Well, yeah.

S/P is the best leveling set for Thief, followed closely by condi D/D.

in Thief

Posted by: Reavan.8753

Reavan.8753

S/P is one of the higest DPS builds thief has.
Alot use d/d because it comes out slightly ahead on single target however for aoe and its not so bad single too s/p is amazing.
The evade spam is also quite nice.

Signet heal and IP and you never die in pve.

in Thief

Posted by: Morazz.9371

Morazz.9371

Can i use D/D condi for leveling and being efficient? D/D seems nice because i can stealth/backstab so often and easy, i havent tried out condition as a stat at all, so i wouldntt know how it works?

<—newb

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Technically, you should be able to level up using any build. You only really worry about what build you’re running when you’re trying to run with the meta.

S/P just makes things easier with it’s cleave and black powder which means you can face tank multiple melee mobs and hit them all with your auto-attacks.

D/D condi, pretty sure meaning the death blossom spam, will melt away normal mobs while keeping you relatively safe due to the evade that death blossom provides. Conditions on a boss though, might not be the best idea.

D/D power, is good for bosses.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

in Thief

Morazz.9371

Ahh i guess that makes sense. Im trying to use mug+signet heal with S/D, seems pretty nice, with endless 3 spam, almost anyway.

I guess its Power → Precision → Ferocity even if i play S/D, D/D, S/P, D/P right?

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Ahh i guess that makes sense. Im trying to use mug+signet heal with S/D, seems pretty nice, with endless 3 spam, almost anyway.

I guess its Power -> Precision -> Ferocity even if i play S/D, D/D, S/P, D/P right?

When you start considering the meta, generally, yeah you want to be running some sort of power builds, and so zerker stats or variations of them. This is due to how conditions work on bosses and in groups.

S/D, S/P, D/P, will generally be better when ran with power/zerker stats.
D/D can be either condi or power based. I want to say dire stats, but that has condition/vit/toughness, and survivability stats are generally not needed since you should be able to avoid damage altogether via dodging/evades/positioning….

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

If this is your first thief/you are fairly new to the game, don’t spend much time leveling with condi builds, the extra vit/toughness would make you comfortable taking hits you shouldn’t take as a thief.

Leveling with power makes you learn the class better and when you’ll want to try condi, you can play those builds without much practise. If you lvl with condi and would want to switch to power, it’d be a lot more difficult.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

in Thief

Morazz.9371

I guess that makes a lot of sense Jayden Ennok!

So as traits go, could someone link me what to use and which are most important to take first. Im using these traits right now

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fZAQNAsaVl8MpwpNOxzJsPJBNBsjWBA

Will the next “tier” of traits (master and grandmaster) be unlocked at certain levels or do i have to do something for it?

in Thief

Morazz.9371

and what if i play D/P for leveling? I like that a lot because of the single target burst

Also, what is ment with a “zerk” build?

(edited by Morazz.9371)

in Thief

Posted by: mompen.7952

mompen.7952

The next tier will unlock as you lvl up.

You can play with D/P if you like, in fact, you can play with whatever weapons you like/find fun to play. Because this is a game, and you should have fun playing it.

D/P is nice, since you have blind on #5, and interrupt on #4.
If you care about dmg, D/D power has more of it, but less utility. But again, PvE encounters doesn’t really require you to bring any utility. Just go balls out on damage, lol :P

As other people have stated, getting used to dodge enemy attacks will be a smart thing to do, because thieves are very squishy. Other classes can withstand getting hit a few times, we can’t. So playing condition builds with a lot of thoughness and health will make you lazy :P

Kenny Shayde/Ken Shadowpaw-Theef|Spiteful Sithis-Necro|Kennyneer-Engi|Mr Hex Appeal-Mesmer

in Thief

Posted by: mompen.7952

mompen.7952

a true zerk build is short for “berserker” (power, precision and ferocity stats for your armor) and balls out on your traits (normally 6/6/x/x/x (where you put the remaining points wherever you want) or 5/6/x/x/3.

The best damage output, but as a thief, as said, you’re squishy as hell. Little self-sustain.

Kenny Shayde/Ken Shadowpaw-Theef|Spiteful Sithis-Necro|Kennyneer-Engi|Mr Hex Appeal-Mesmer