thief in pve

thief in pve

in Thief

Posted by: reecel.2409

reecel.2409

Q:

I really want to play a thief but I don’t know if they are viable for it. I want to use d/d.s/d or any close up build so can any 1 tell me if they are viable for pve/dungeons

so should I play a ranger thanks

thief in pve

in Thief

Posted by: Clumsy.6257

Clumsy.6257

short answer: very viable and a much better all around option than ranger
long answer: thief forums > scroll down > find thread “is thief viable in pve”

thief in pve

in Thief

Posted by: Big Tower.5423

Big Tower.5423

Ok well, thief benefits from highest single target damage (yes i dare say it) , high evasion and escapeablity. We are the best class on groupfight bosses. but we are really weak if we get caught in AOE. but if you play thief right for dungeons you can make it work. and really there is no metabuild for thief in dungeons. adjust for the dungeon atm. i allways carry two daggers a sword and a bow

7800 hours ingame, and counting.

thief in pve

in Thief

Clumsy.6257

Ok well, thief benefits from highest single target damage (yes i dare say it) , high evasion and escapeablity. We are the best class on groupfight bosses. but we are really weak if we get caught in AOE. but if you play thief right for dungeons you can make it work. and really there is no metabuild for thief in dungeons. adjust for the dungeon atm. i allways carry two daggers a sword and a bow

its not publicized because good pve thieves are rare but 25/30/0/0/15 is the best for pure damage, or 25/30/10/0/5 for dungeons with lots of conditions because sometimes signet of agility isnt enough

thief in pve

in Thief

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

All classes should melee when they can for extra damage. Thieves and rangers can both be squishy in dungeons so they both need to pick fights and position carefully. It’s probably helpful to think of them both as skirmish classes that move into and out of melee, although bad rangers can get stuck at range quite easily.

All the thief weapon sets can be useful in dungeons. Even though you’ll have a favorite weapon set, don’t be afraid to use something else if it suits a particular fight.

thief in pve

in Thief

Posted by: Ivonbeton.6814

Ivonbeton.6814

Ok well, thief benefits from highest single target damage (yes i dare say it)

True, we have great damage. But one thing to keep in mind is that some classes bring similar damage WHILE buffing the damage of the team immensly or bringing a great amount of utility.

So it’s not all that bad, but I find the “we have great damage” argument less convincing.

thief in pve

in Thief

Posted by: Anubarak.3012

Anubarak.3012

25/30/10/0/5 is not for condition cleansing… No one should take this trait. 10 points in SA is for fights that take longer than 10s because your dps will drop down as soon as you have low initiative.
Btw 30/30/10 is the highest dps build in dungeons where your fight takes longer than 10s. If your group can burst down everything quickly you should take 25/30/0/0/15

[rT]

thief in pve

in Thief

Posted by: Stx.4857

Stx.4857

I have always wondered… what is the point for those 15 in trickery?

Is it for the fury/might that you will always have on you anyway from your team? Or is it for 5% extra damage from behind the mobs?

Either way I would much rather have 1500 extra health and a 3rd dodge, especially in fractals.

2x 80 Necro, 80 Ranger, 80 Thief

thief in pve

in Thief

Anubarak.3012

Is it for the fury/might that you will always have on you anyway from your team? Or is it for 5% extra damage from behind the mobs?

Either way I would much rather have 1500 extra health and a 3rd dodge, especially in fractals.

10% dmg for initiative >6
and 5% more dmg while flanking

the thing is: if you dont have 10 points in trickery you get 5% while flanking and loose 10% from initiative >6 and cant do backstab that often

[rT]

thief in pve

in Thief

Clumsy.6257

the thing is: if you dont have 10 points in trickery you get 5% while flanking and loose 10% from initiative >6 and cant do backstab that often

am i just reading this wrong or do you have your traits mixed up? 10% for initiative > 6 is in critical strikes not trickery and 5% damage while flanking barely makes a difference when u can burn anything down in < 20 seconds

thief in pve

in Thief

Stx.4857

Are you saying that you need the extra 3 initiative from 15 trickery to stay above 6 initiative for the 10% damage from critical traits? If so, I would disagree. You can manage a regular 12 initiative pool while backstabbing and keeping 6.

thief in pve

in Thief

Anubarak.3012

am i just reading this wrong or do you have your traits mixed up? 10% for initiative > 6 is in critical strikes not trickery and 5% damage while flanking barely makes a difference when u can burn anything down in < 20 seconds

If you want to CnD → Backstab → Double Strike → Wild Strike → Lotus Strike → repeat constantly you wont stay >6 initiative after the first time so you lose much dmg. You need +3 Initiative to get your 10% dmg boost at least 2 times

[rT]

thief in pve

in Thief

Anubarak.3012

Are you saying that you need the extra 3 initiative from 15 trickery to stay above 6 initiative for the 10% damage from critical traits? If so, I would disagree. You can manage a regular 12 initiative pool while backstabbing and keeping 6.

Yes, o/c you can but you’ll lose much dmg because you have to do more AA.
And you have to stay over 6 initiative so if you are unlucky or bad you have only 6 while you backstab.
You gain 1 ini every 1.333s – CnD takes .9s but you dont lose your initiative right when you start your skill. You lose your 6 initiative .5s after you start CnD so if you gain your ini at .4s and use CnD you’ll use backstab 1s after this with only 6 ini not 7

Even though you’ll lose 10% at 2. Backstab otherwise you have to do 2x AA

There are reasons why you won’t see a good thief with 30-30-0-0-10
only 30-30-10-0-0 for fights >10s or 25-30-0-0-15 for fights <10s
Some use 25-30-10-0-5 which is also for >10s fights

[rT]

(edited by Anubarak.3012)

thief in pve

in Thief

Stx.4857

Well I just learned something new! lol. I always thought you gained the 10% damage if you had 6 initiative left.

Well, crap. I love my 15 in acrobatics, I would feel really weird playing without it… but maybe its time I learn.

thief in pve

in Thief

Posted by: KOK.2650

KOK.2650

Open world
Ranger> > > > thief
Champ fight , major event fight
Ranger > > > > > > > > >(not even funny) Thief
Dungeon
thief > Ranger
If you are lazy like me, you chose ranger over thief.
Just let the pet tank the mob/champ while you shoot from shortbow.
Dmg may not be higher than thief but you can drink a cup of coffee and play.

Kok -lvl 80 warrior Tsukoyu-lvl 80 elementalist
Ayumu-lvl 80 Necromancer
Tsu-lvl 80 thief

thief in pve

in Thief

Posted by: liefbread.9513

liefbread.9513

Open world
Ranger> > > > thief
Champ fight , major event fight
Ranger > > > > > > > > >(not even funny) Thief
Dungeon
thief > Ranger
If you are lazy like me, you chose ranger over thief.
Just let the pet tank the mob/champ while you shoot from shortbow.
Dmg may not be higher than thief but you can drink a cup of coffee and play.

Basically a lazy ranger is better than a mediocre thief, but a good thief is light years better than a good/average “invested” ranger.

thief in pve

in Thief

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I’m still low level with my thief, but I feel like I’ve been able to bang out waaaay more damage with him than I ever could with my ranger at the same levels. But, the ranger was definitely much easier. It’s stupid how boring champ running is with a ranger.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

thief in pve

in Thief

Clumsy.6257

If you want to CnD -> Backstab -> Double Strike -> Wild Strike -> Lotus Strike -> repeat constantly you wont stay >6 initiative after the first time so you lose much dmg. You need +3 Initiative to get your 10% dmg boost at least 2 times

or if your running 25/30/10/0/5 you can use infusion of shadow and never have to worry about running low

thief in pve

in Thief

Anubarak.3012

If you want to CnD -> Backstab -> Double Strike -> Wild Strike -> Lotus Strike -> repeat constantly you wont stay >6 initiative after the first time so you lose much dmg. You need +3 Initiative to get your 10% dmg boost at least 2 times

or if your running 25/30/10/0/5 you can use infusion of shadow and never have to worry about running low

yeah I mentioned that before

[rT]