why are people mean to thieves

in Thief

Posted by: Lumpy.8760

Lumpy.8760

whenever i play thief, people say mean things after they defeat me. only very rarely happens with any other profession

in Thief

Posted by: Nihlus.9724

Nihlus.9724

Everyone at some point in their GW2 lives has been ganked by a thief and some people have remained salty ever since.

in Thief

Posted by: DontPaniC.8740

DontPaniC.8740

I believe it is because of the same salt that the other 8 professions refuse to admit we need a buff to complete overhaul. In there eyes it’s our turn smh. Stealth can be completely shut down by other professions even after all these years of nerfs. Some of which wasn’t our fault to begin with like server side culling.

in Thief

Posted by: Klonko.8341

Klonko.8341

Personally the thief profession is made to excel at pve and be not really efficient in pvp. Since HoT (even there, since the reworked traits tree) thief lost competivity which is bad for the profession and I think anet will try to address that. It’s one of the only class (probably mesmer too) that is Esport worthy because the other are completly passive atm.

Raining Rainbows lvl 80 ranger ~~~~~ SBI server

in Thief

Posted by: EazyPanda.6419

EazyPanda.6419

Because we used to 1-hit people from stealth.

2-3 years ago.

Anet logic:
where bashing people over the head with a stick deals more damage than a stab to the heart.
-My D.A. = http://eazypanda.deviantart.com/

in Thief

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

I believe it is because of the same salt that the other 8 professions refuse to admit we need a buff to complete overhaul. In there eyes it’s our turn smh. Stealth can be completely shut down by other professions even after all these years of nerfs. Some of which wasn’t our fault to begin with like server side culling.

Everyone at some point in their GW2 lives has been ganked by a thief and some people have remained salty ever since.

These two.

When thief was op, the cancerous players that only won by exploiting tactics that were by and large unfair in small scale fights saturated the thief playerbase and formed a reputation of toxicity that the other class mains despised.

Of course, player toxicity doesn’t die with nerfs, it just relocates itself. So when thief actually became the weaker class, the jack-kittens who abused the mechanics that thief otherwise needed to survive moved to the stronger classes like Mesmer and Dragonhunter, taking their toxicity with them, while all the mains of those classes began taking out their saved-up saltiness on the players that dared to remain thief.

Case in point: Every mesmer ever.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

in Thief

Posted by: Theandil.6045

Theandil.6045

i play thief

here yo answer

Max Rockatanski – Lv. 80 Thief
\\// Active Since 1st Beta //\\

in Thief

Posted by: Shovel Face.4512

Shovel Face.4512

This so much. The main reason why I mained a thief because it was sorta like a troll class.

in Thief

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

For all the people who claim thief was OP at some point in time I ask them this one question:

“When in the entire history of GW2 was taking 2 thieves meta?”

Thank You

in Thief

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

Because in reality, thieves make people live in constant fear. Is why everyone locks their door at night.

in Thief

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

Because in reality, thieves make people live in constant fear. Is why everyone locks their door at night.

Yep that’s it ! just playing thief is a huge strike on ennemies moral ! It’s like having a Jedi in an intergalactic war. he is alone but the war involving millions of people end because of him.

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

(edited by Wargameur.6950)

in Thief

Posted by: Nocta.5274

Nocta.5274

For all the people who claim thief was OP at some point in time I ask them this one question:

Thank You

Tell me, before HoT, when was not taking a thief even a possibility ?

No need to lie between ourselves, we were great for a long time.

Characters :
Nooctae ( Thief ) / Encelya ( Engineer ) / Jane Crimson ( Elementalist ) / Kowywr ( Revenant )
Europe, Vizunah.

in Thief

Posted by: BeepBoopBop.5403

BeepBoopBop.5403

Thank You

That means meta. Not OP. Go back to May 2015 and play a game as panic strike or CS thief vs a double banner shoutbow team.

Koolgai Smurf – Thief | Dazin U – Mesmer | Whats Healing Power – Ranger|
I Bought Hot – Revenant | [QQ]

in Thief

Nocta.5274

We had a few OP period in the middle of being great and meta.

pre nerf heartseeker days were ridiculous.
S/D S/D was silly to all hell.

There’s no reason to complain about anything in the 3 years before the 23rd June patch.

Characters :
Nooctae ( Thief ) / Encelya ( Engineer ) / Jane Crimson ( Elementalist ) / Kowywr ( Revenant )
Europe, Vizunah.

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Because we’re Batman.

Attachments:

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Thief

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Thank You

Yes to the first quote, less so to the second.

Yes, thieves were great for a long time, that much is true.

However, their use in PVP was moreso because they were the only class that could stealth decap (and the quickest to do so at that), rather than being a decent class for solo combat or small scale fights overall.

They were “mandatory” because if you didn’t have one the thief on the other team would backcap everything without having a counter. It was game utility rather than class advantage.

Thieves may have seemed to be (and, I concede, were) good back when they were the only class able to fill the role they were forced into but their imbalance against other classes became apparent when two thieves were on any one team. At that point the game became a 4v5 due to the thief’s lack in skirmish potential.

The only thing that has changed between that time and now is that other classes can fill the thief’s role, and the thief now has reduced effectiveness against the other classes due to the bunker meta.

The problem was always there, the new meta just exacerbated it.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

in Thief

Nocta.5274

Thank You

However, their use in PVP was moreso because they were the only class that could stealth decap (and the quickest to do so at that), rather than being a decent class for solo combat or small scale fights overall.

They were “mandatory” because if you didn’t have one the thief on the other team would backcap everything without having a counter. It was game utility rather than class advantage.

Thieves may have seemed to be (and, I concede, were) good back when they were the only class able to fill the role they were forced into but their imbalance against other classes became apparent when two thieves were on any one team. At that point the game became a 4v5 due to the thief’s lack in skirmish potential.

The only thing that has changed between that time and now is that other classes can fill the thief’s role, and the thief now has reduced effectiveness against the other classes due to the bunker meta.

Did you play during the S/D glory days ? We were the BEST 1v1 class around, no contest. The meta was determined by picking classes that could survive to the build, wasn’t even about beating it.

Characters :
Europe, Vizunah.

in Thief

Posted by: Ario.8964

Ario.8964

Not the BEST, definitely top tier but not the best under any circumstances. D/D ele was the dueling king at that time and most builds with heavy condi would eventually take it out. Considering most builds are condi based I don’t see why you thought S/D thief was the best. It was the best THIEF build for skirmishing in pvp as it didn’t use stealth but other classes designed for 1v1 still did it better, but thief at least could do well when played by a skilled player.

[Teef] Dragonbrand Thief and Engi main www.twitch.tv/ariodoesgaming and Ario Does Gaming on Youtube!

in Thief

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

Thank You

Did you play during the S/D glory days ? We were the BEST 1v1 class around, no contest. The meta was determined by picking classes that could survive to the build, wasn’t even about beating it.

No they weren’t the best 1v1 class around.

They pretty much cropped on my main (mesmer) but they weren’t the best

in Thief

Posted by: Bossun.2046

Bossun.2046

This game suffer a lot from the sheep mentality. One person in map chat says that thief sucks, and all you see is people saying: “They suck now? Guess I should change class XD” People here just follow builds and base their opinions on others. You could be doing the best of your group, and you would still get hate.

in Thief

Posted by: Reaven.3958

Reaven.3958

Because their little minds don’t comprehend our greatness.

in Thief

Posted by: Highlie.7641

Highlie.7641

That isnt true in the slightest nocta.

D/p was always a better 1vs1 set. now it was a bit more balanced before they nerfed iniaitive regen/vigor regin/ and nerfed dps on every single s/d wpn ability. (besides auto attack) but a d/p thief should of never lost. before or after.

The s/d meta build at the time was complete and utter garbage. It lacked the damage to kill a glass orientated thief spec. Sorry but that meta was before i tanked my MMR i seen so many tourney thiefs on that sub par crap it was mind boggling. (i miss solo queue the match ups where much more entertaining)

Finally. the only reason it was succesful at all was due to the Pvp population. By now you must of realized that “Timing” Is near extinct. and “timing” is one of the things required to fight a s/d user.

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Because we used to 1-hit people from stealth.

2-3 years ago.

^ This.

Longer story:

It’s the same reasoning why children are afraid of the dark…

Back before discovering fire, night time meant that savage beasts would come out and hunt us down and eat us. Since that lasted for some time, and was a horrifying experience, it got ingrained in our brains that darkness/night = bad kitten happens, scary stuff come out.

Now, unlike with darkness, which got ingrained over a span of 1000’s of years (or something). With GW2 it happened really fast, since gamers across different games already have predispositioned “opinion”/fear of rogue archetype.

Generally the OP-ness comes from two sources: either at one point in time being able to 1-hit things (despite the requirements/consequences, or being truely unbalanced), or environmentally unaware people constantly being ganked (since hey, they’re easy and fun) and typically not knowing how to counter (because they were probably busy texting, or you know, casuals).

Like, even in LoL or HotS people kitten or complain how annoying stealth champs are, when most of the time they were setting themselves up for a gank (over extending for instance, or not seeing the blurred image in the case of HotS).

It’s not really thief specific saltiness, it’s more of an archetype saltiness spanning many many games (and genres).

My $0.02.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

in Thief

Posted by: Kaishina.6584

Kaishina.6584

Even ESL players could’t deal with them because of overall terrible low skill cap on the pvp scene pre HoT

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Even ESL players could’t deal with them because of overall terrible low skill cap on the pvp scene post HoT

Fixed that for ya. Now that the skill cap is so low, and everyone just plays professions to their maximum potential by rotating some skills and chain-casting damage immunity effects, the ESL players can now properly mitigate any advantage a particularly skilled thief may have against them.

What I don’t understand is many thieves who make the class to troll with, act all trolly in-game, and then lose fights and then get salty when they fail at trolling because they got their faces melted by someone better than them.

in Thief

Posted by: KayCee.4653

KayCee.4653

Fixed that for ya. Now that the skill cap is so low, and everyone just plays professions to their maximum potential by rotating some skills and chain-casting damage immunity effects, the ESL players can now properly mitigate any advantage a particularly skilled thief may have against them.

What I don’t understand is many thieves who make the class to troll with, act all trolly in-game, and then lose fights and then get salty when they fail at trolling because they got their faces melted by someone better than them.

I’ll add my two cents. I came to GW2 and liked the light armor mage like classes, made each, thief was the bane of my staff ele (until I figured out d/d ele) and of my memser. I hated them so much that I made one just to learn to play it and if possible how to counter it. It made me furious, cause at the time I was doing it, thief seemed to have a high skill cap and high risk to reward ratio.

Now in present day, All other classes (scrapper, reaper, chrono, dh, rev even… tempest, and I’m assuming others) can have enough ways to evade or stop the big damage from happening that people that run thieves in WvW have to run two or more thieves together or use objective guards and other combative NPCs to their advantage.

Example, a thief camping a camp in WvW was able to hold it for a short time by using the guards and stealthing as way to pick off people while being able to keep them from focusing on him. Once he lost his stealth cause a person revealed him, he got downed pretty fast Yet, he had successfully defended the camp and beat like 5 people that kept coming to try to take it. Bravo, but poor thing he needed the NPCs to help him which was sad.

in Thief

Posted by: deda.8302

deda.8302

Because we steal…

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Because catching one of the slippery kittens is a feat. Oh and for some reason people are still sensitive about getting ganked a couple years ago when thieves were actually dangerous in 1vX and skirmish.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”