Anyone tried dual sword + shield only?

in Warrior

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

Q:

for bleed build. so you actually get 2 block skills 2 rush skills 1 with stun and have bleed burst skill always ready at your-side and long range bleed skill o o..i’m just wondering if anyone actually tired it and if it’s any good

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

(edited by Lighter.5631)

in Warrior

Posted by: Nevarato.3178

Nevarato.3178

Your weapon skills share cooldown time if they’re the same. So it’s generally inefficient to have 2 of the same weapons on both sets. But it might be possible. Alternatively you could use mace and shield, to get another block from mace. =)

in Warrior

Lighter.5631

But the only cool down you will be sharing is the leap and hamstring which you don’t use often or can be alternated with the shield rush if you use a mace, you won’t be able to build up bleeds with auto attack or have to wait to swap weapon to burst for bleed stacking as well.

“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

(edited by Lighter.5631)

in Warrior

Posted by: Nevarato.3178

Nevarato.3178

But the only cool down you will be sharing is the leap and hamstring which you don’t use often or can alternate with the shield rush if you use a mace, you won’t be able to build up bleeds with auto attack or have to wait to swap weapon to burst for bleed stacking as well.

I know, leap is also fairly low CD, which is why i said that it might be possible. But shield bash’s range is very limited.

in Warrior

Posted by: CoaxialMazer.9140

CoaxialMazer.9140

For condition build, I suggest Dual swords with Long bow, as shield doesn’t contribute to condition dmg, but its utility is great for 1v1 or the 3 sec invuln to direct dmg.

in Warrior

Posted by: Amargein.1569

Amargein.1569

I actually use dual sword + shield swap on my warrior. I wanted to make a shield-using warrior and chose the sword for aesthetics and built off of that. I opted for a second sword on my swap for the extra block and bleed, as you said. Because I picked sword, I chose to go for condition damage over pure power.

I would say the strengths of the build are 2 blocks, lots of bleeds, and the leaps. Also, a mainhand sword gets lots of bonus crit due to Arms traits.

I use 30 Arms for damage and crit boosts (Deep Cuts, Blademaster, Furious) and to regain a lot of adrenaline when I use flurry. I put 20 into Defense for shield traits and eventually put 10 more points in for extra toughness, but I’m still experimenting. My last 10 points went into Tactics for banner cooldown because I wanted to try using a banner as a utility skill.

I wear Rabid armor with emerald orbs or embellished emerald jewels right now, to further solidify my ‘tankiness.’ I’m using Sigils of Blood (cheap and heals a little) and Accuracy right now, but I may switch to Strength and Accuracy instead. I considered Sigil of Earth, but I’m afraid that I will cap bleeds too often. I did some simple math and Strength and Earth should be about the same DPS boost for me with around 12 bleed stacks up.

My damage seems respectable if a little slow to get rolling, and I can keep a lot of mobs tied down between cleaving hamstring/flurry on 3 targets and using shield bash for an extra momentary stun. Shield Stance and Riposte means I generally don’t have to evade out on bosses’ special attacks. Because Riposte only has a 15 sec cooldown, I usually go sword/sword on boss fights for the extra DPS from Riposte when I block their big hits.

I use berry pies for extra healing, supplemented by the Adrenal Health trait and Healing Surge as my healing skill. I intentionally avoided taking Berserker’s Power and Heightened Focus because I Flurry a lot (Flurry doesn’t get the benefit from those traits) and most of my damage is condition damage (although I wish HF did work better with it). I currently have about 95% crit on Flurry (with Fury), and 85% on other attacks.

Edit: Using the same main-hand weapon on a weapon swap actually has one small benefit, which is that weapon swapping won’t interrupt your auto-attack chain. It breaks channeled attacks like Flurry, but if you go Sever Artery→Gash→weapon swap, you will do a Final Thrust next, instead of resetting to the start of the chain.

in Warrior

Lighter.5631

@CoaxialMazer Yea, i think it’s 1v1 high damage( because of bleed stacks) with skill based high defense and good mobility. you can 1v2 maybe 3, if you are good enough as the build has alot of skill based potential. i’m not sure tho

@Amargein i’m thinking about 20 str, 30 arms 10defense and 10 discipline for the traits i guess its alot different from yours

-Excalibur.9748

(edited by Lighter.5631)

in Warrior

Posted by: Amargein.1569

Amargein.1569

I don’t think it’s that different, I think Arms is the crux of a sword build. I understand Strength 20 may be a bit more useful in WvW and PvP, but I personally didn’t think confusion would be worthwhile, and preferred the shield mastery instead. Also, the condition duration from Strength points seems a little redundant because of Deep Cuts. Discipline/Tactics/etc seems like personal preference regardless.

in Warrior

Posted by: LieutenantGoogle.7326

LieutenantGoogle.7326

Its not good for PvP.
In PvE anything goes, ANYTHING.

lv80 with skills fully unlocked, warrior, elementalist and engineer
lv80 Necromancer, all professional skills unlocked, working on the final norn elite skills.

in Warrior

Lighter.5631

Its not good for PvP.
In PvE anything goes, ANYTHING.

How is it not good in PvP?

-Excalibur.9748

in Warrior

Posted by: aKIRA.7123

aKIRA.7123

in my experience its too easy to be kited. (but ill admit this is an interesting setup)

Azuna Hatsue | Sonya Hayashi
Jaunty Chaps [LAD]

in Warrior

Lighter.5631

in my experience its too easy to be kited. (but ill admit this is an interesting setup)

with leap and shield rush stun, and immobilized with burst skill i think you can prevent being kited

-Excalibur.9748

in Warrior

Posted by: LieutenantGoogle.7326

LieutenantGoogle.7326

with leap and shield rush stun, and immobilized with burst skill i think you can prevent being kited

Burst skill is actually incredibly easy to break, the immobilize is a .5 second constant refreshing so either blocking, condition removing, stunning or blinding for a second then dodging can make the enemy negate the rest of the burst.

And if you are going sword/shield you are severely gimping your damage even if you are mainly condition build you’ll close your gap but all you’l have is your auto attack which stacks up bleed very very very slowly until you swap back to off hand sword.

Also 1 condition removal when the enemy has 25 stacks negate all your efforts in getting that stacks in the last 20 seconds and there are several builds that already have condition removals just as a side dish and has the same cooldown as when you can unload your bleed stacking “burst”

Warriors will always be better off just going flat damage and reap the bonus damage from condition such as 10% more damage on bleeding targets, focusing solely on condition damage and thinking you are doing great damage is really just fooling yourself and locking down your built to only about 2 weapon combinations.

lv80 with skills fully unlocked, warrior, elementalist and engineer
lv80 Necromancer, all professional skills unlocked, working on the final norn elite skills.

(edited by LieutenantGoogle.7326)