Are Warriors still kinda meh in wv3?

in Warrior

Posted by: Zaud.2814

Zaud.2814

Well, we all know that warriors have always had some build that could be beneficial to the wv3 fights ( like banner or shout builds ), just not as well as most other professions. I did try and Google some recent warrior post about wv3 viability and maybe some cool GS+ axe/shield builds and see if they are still good to use, but everything most recent has been at least 3-4 months ago. I know most people say to use what you like to have fun with, but I am pretty competitive in wv3 ( if there is such a thing) so I just want to know if I’m just not wasting my time. I haven’t played since March this year and I have been playing before that since release. On my warr right now I am using full PVT gear on everything and traits are 0/0/30/30/10 what I was using in wv3 and fractals before I left for school. I am coming home in about a week and I have been checking out other classes but I don’t have all the play time like I used to so I just need to know if I am wasting my time with this class or not. My main focus is wv3 of course. Don’t get me wrong I LOVE my warrior, I just want to know for sure if this if what I am going to spend my time into ( Legendarys, ascended gear ect…) Open for criticism, build shares, opinions or whatever. Looked up a few posts but it’s just nice to get an answer to your own personal question, ya know?

in Warrior

Posted by: Blackarps.1974

Blackarps.1974

Quite a bit has changed in the past 3 months. Warriors in zergs generally use Sword/Warhorn and then greatsword/hammer/longbow. Shouts and PVT gear is still fine but you will need to look at your traits again. Make sure you get the most out of whatever setup you decide to run…obviously. Make a few builds and then post them up and ask for opinions on them and make sure you let people know what your main intention is and how you like to play.

Maguuma Guardian

in Warrior

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

Agreed, you first decide what style of play you want. Warrior is very versatile in that manner. You could be and Tanky Condition dealer, a Bursty CC (also quite tanky), Offensive Support, or you can even play a GS/SwWh troll build where all you do is run in annoy and run away.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

in Warrior

Posted by: boondocksaint.6529

boondocksaint.6529

Even after the hammer nerf warriors are very good in WvW right now. There are many builds that work well. We are one of the few (only?) classes that virtually all our weapons, main and offhand can have a valid build associated with them. I would say the weakest are mace main unless you are a hardcore dueling player and axe offhand which is meh but can still work sometimes.

So as others have said, find the weapons you really enjoy, (bring a great sword for mobility, you don’t have to use it) and have fun!

in Warrior

Posted by: roamzero.9486

roamzero.9486

WvW is nothing but Warriors/Guardians with the occasional Necro. For roaming replace the guards/necros with mesmers/thieves, but Warriors are also in that picture too.

in Warrior

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

warriors the best class right now. you can’t go wrong

in Warrior

Posted by: Keiel.7489

Keiel.7489

Stop PVT-ing in Fractals.

[DONE]

in Warrior

Zaud.2814

Yes I will try Keiel lol, and thank you all for your input on this, I really appreciate it. I am now very excited to come home and start rocking people. I really want to make a GS/ eviscerate focused build, maybe even bursty hammer like Julie Yann mentioned. One more question though, is zerker gear viable in wv3 now? I mean it kinda was at release (not really) , but is it a real option now?

in Warrior

Posted by: Setun.4368

Setun.4368

I’m personally not a fan of pure zerker gear only because in a fight once people see how squishy you are you get autofocused immeditatetly. I am more a fan of pvt armor + zerker trinkets or zerker/knights to maximize your damage output, but still being fairly hardy. As others have mentioned there’s a lot of viable builds these days for the warrior, my personal favorite being shout builds w/ soldier runes since condition builds are still insanely popular.

in Warrior

Julie Yann.5379

I’m personally not a fan of pure zerker gear only because in a fight once people see how squishy you are you get autofocused immeditatetly. I am more a fan of pvt armor + zerker trinkets or zerker/knights to maximize your damage output, but still being fairly hardy. As others have mentioned there’s a lot of viable builds these days for the warrior, my personal favorite being shout builds w/ soldier runes since condition builds are still insanely popular.

PVT kind of sucks! If you are looking for more survivability you can go Full Valkyrie Armor with cavalier/zerk trinkets, get the same Vit/Toughness of PVT but you also get way better crit damage.

in Warrior

Keiel.7489

Yes I will try Keiel lol, and thank you all for your input on this, I really appreciate it. I am now very excited to come home and start rocking people. I really want to make a GS/ eviscerate focused build, maybe even bursty hammer like Julie Yann mentioned. One more question though, is zerker gear viable in wv3 now? I mean it kinda was at release (not really) , but is it a real option now?

Serker is viable depending on what you do. One of my buddy roam with sekers, another run with our 15-25m group. Roamer used Mace+Shield/GS, S+WH/Hammer for 15-25m runs. The playstyle is pretty similar. Poke and run. In the S+WH/Hammer run most of hte guildies are running a bit squisher but it’s learning when to pull out and keeping healthy sometimes it means staying out of the melee group to get yourself together.

[DONE]

in Warrior

Posted by: Setun.4368

Setun.4368

PVT kind of sucks! If you are looking for more survivability you can go Full Valkyrie Armor with cavalier/zerk trinkets, get the same Vit/Toughness of PVT but you also get way better crit damage.

My stats with the combo I mentioned earlier gives me the perfect balance of the tanky dps rolls I like to play, although I can see how your item setup can be just as effective given the large boost to crit damage your stat combo will give. I just like having strong consistent dps as opposed to relying on crit damage to get my damage in, but that’s just how I roll.

in Warrior

Posted by: Rigel.3092

Rigel.3092

If you want more survivability, go full Valkyrie? What!? PVT sucks? What? Apparently, you do not operate with your warrior within the confines of a serious WvW guild, do ya? lmao…

in Warrior

Julie Yann.5379

If you want more survivability, go full Valkyrie? What!? PVT sucks? What? Apparently, you do not operate with your warrior within the confines of a serious WvW guild, do ya? lmao…

Thank the heavens I don’t anymore, I couldn’t stand playing the lame Ham/SwWh x-x-30-30-x Soldier runes Shout build. Sure it is tough but it is some of the most boring game play I have ever seen. With my Valkerye Cavalier/Zerk I get good survivability with 21k health 1600 toughness (1800 with Doly Signet) but can also take advantage unsuspecting foe to the fullest by getting 60% crit damage just from the armor 90%. with weapons and traits. Even after patch me ES hits for 4-5K on squishy targets. It’s quite effective.

in Warrior

Posted by: SplendidDust of AncientSuns.8453

SplendidDust of AncientSuns.8453

Thank the heavens I don’t anymore, I couldn’t stand playing the lame Ham/SwWh x-x-30-30-x Soldier runes Shout build. Sure it is tough but it is some of the most boring game play I have ever seen. With my Valkerye Cavalier/Zerk I get good survivability with 21k health 1600 toughness (1800 with Doly Signet) but can also take advantage unsuspecting foe to the fullest by getting 60% crit damage just from the armor 90%. with weapons and traits. Even after patch me ES hits for 4-5K on squishy targets. It’s quite effective.

I don’t know. 1800 toughness with 21k health seems really squishy to me. I mean, yes you do great damage, but you’re a liability to everyone around you if/when you rally x amount of enemies on death.

Can I suggest something? How ‘bout Knights armor and soldier trinkets/weapons. Power runes as well. Even though I have no crit dmg bonus and 15% crit chance base, my power is stacked so friggin high it doesn’t even matter. When I do crit I still hit like a truck mind you. Self buffed power before might is around 2600 and I’m flaunting 3.3k armor and 31k hp.

in Warrior

Julie Yann.5379

I don’t know. 1800 toughness with 21k health seems really squishy to me. I mean, yes you do great damage, but you’re a liability to everyone around you if/when you rally x amount of enemies on death.

Can I suggest something? How ‘bout Knights armor and soldier trinkets/weapons. Power runes as well. Even though I have no crit dmg bonus and 15% crit chance base, my power is stacked so friggin high it doesn’t even matter. When I do crit I still hit like a truck mind you. Self buffed power before might is around 2600 and I’m flaunting 3.3k armor and 31k hp.

I guess it’s a matter of preference. I hate hitting like a wet noodle and I don’t have any problems surviving in a zerg fight with this setup. Too me the difference between 21k health and 24k (I put 0 points in tactics) health is negligible and the extra damage is well worth the sacrifice. Also 1800 toughness is like 3100 armor, pretty much the sweet spot for armor stat. I can kick it up to 3.5k armor if I replace my zerk stuff but I’m more that happy with that.

(edited by Julie Yann.5379)

in Warrior

Zaud.2814

Julie Yann you wouldn’t mind link sharing your build with me would you? What you are talking about sounds like it’s right up my alley.

in Warrior

Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann you wouldn’t mind link sharing your build with me would you? What you are talking about sounds like it’s right up my alley.

It looks something like this with exotic gear and ascended trinkets. Sometime I swap my heal for defiant stance depending on whether I am zseging or roaming and I sometimes swap SoS for zerker stance depending on how aggressive I feel. I started with Runes of Melandru then moved to Hoelbrak once I got better at controlling the fight. 105% crit chance on ES when fury is up makes for some nice burst.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIAQNAS8ejkOtwBPGPMxBE0DNsK4ijCqQJUKmD7A-jUCBYfCyEEQ0yAEIwpPFRjtCqIasabYaXRWFTIVGglxA-w

It is a very selfish build, with no group support other than a ton of damage and CC. If I want to play support I role with my guardian. Warriors are for putting on the hurt.

(edited by Julie Yann.5379)

in Warrior

Keiel.7489

PvT has it’s purpose, but as your guild gets more coordinated and skill level rises, you should move away from PvT and push more DPS. When you are on the ball with your movements and active defenses (including heals) then your priority should be hit harder. The Dynamic of PvP can’t be compared 1 to 1, but spiking harder and staying alive has it’s advantages over staying alive for a long time but your group suffers from not being able to kill the enemy fast enough. Such as giving them enough time to regroup and reinforce. There could be “other” classes doing the damage but if you all push the spike damage, why not? if all of you can survive in serkers, why would you chose PVT? The idea that PVT can “build” power is nonsense, any gear set can build power, but you are using a DPS model, pushing out stead damage, vice spike damage, which is king in PvP.

[DONE]