Axe Burst: A build for pvp soloqueue

in Warrior

Posted by: Brigg.6189

Brigg.6189

http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-sFw7B0-NKkP0X4cL-60;9;4J-J-T49;248;229A5RV45;1KJG4KJG45Ba

This is a soloqueue roamer build. I’ve played this build almost exclusively since the last leaderboard changes, and it’s got me to top 25. I’m not the best warrior ever, nor is this any kind of super-secret sauce op build. It’s just a kitten fun, non-meta build that’s proven to be successful in soloqueue.

First:
I made this build because I missed my burst warrior. Meta warrior builds provide better aoe, and can have a bigger presence in teamfights. This build however, is a true roamer; mobility and single target burst dps/lockdown are the strengths. If I don’t think the team comp needs that (maybe some thieves on the team already), I reluctantly switch to GS/LB* or another class.

Traits/gear:
I’m not going to bore you with a lot of trait explanations, just point out the big ones.

• Burst mastery and mobile strikes are central to the concept of the build. You get on demand immob breaks with both weapons, and frequent eviscerates.
  • Power line is a solid investment for your axe damage, and it grants the very underrated minor: “building momentum”.
  • Cleansing Ire vs more damage. I tested both, but the added sustain from taking cleansing ire + healing signet wins out. Most fights aren’t won in one burst rotation, this trait keeps you in the game longer. If you want to play man mode though, switch to healing surge + 30/0/0/10/30**.
  • Lyssa runes supply much needed precision and a big condi clear. I typically try to save my lyssa proc to be my condi clear when I can’t get a cleansing ire off, then pop zerk stance and do my dps rotation.
  • Shield reflecting is just awesome to use. Try to reflect pin down vs LB warriors, rapid fire vs. power rangers, illusionary duelist vs mesmers, scepter spam vs guardians.
  • Sigils are up to personal preference. I put a suggestion up there, but you can use others. I’ve been playing around with more crit chance, not sure if it’s worth it.

How to play:
The most crucial part of this build is playing against your enemy, this isn’t a faceroll build. You’re going to get creamed if you try to burst while blinded or weakened, or waste skills on a prot/stab/aegis opponent. The good news is you have the dps to take out any class/build in the game, as long as you land your hits.

The second most crucial part of this build is managing CDs. Every stun and utility is precious, use them to accomplish a goal, not just because they’re off cd. Fear me in particular has huge teamfight impact, and while it can be used to deliver dps, it should be a last resort. Ideally you try to win a fight without using any of these tools, so they’re available for down state management. Zerk stance is great for rezes against condi pressure, stab for safe stops, fear for rupting stompers/rezers, etc.

What else?

• Only use final thrust on a <50% opponent
  • Your standard burst juggle is Mace #5 -> Axe burst-> Swap -> Shield #4 -> Sword #3
  • Sword is a great tool for engaging and disengaging, use it. Leap to los cover if you’re getting lit up, start your eviscerate from behind LOS so it doesn’t get dodged.
  • Eviscerate during enemy dodges/evades (practice your timing), for nearly unavoidable damage.
  • Really there’s lots of combos and set-ups to be done if you get creative. Flurry can be used to land final thrust, or axe autoattacks. While in melee range, axe 3 to cripple then fear to land big axe AA dmg.

That’s about it. Not always easy to play, but fun, rewarding, and something different. Let me know questions/criticism, I love discussing stuff.

-Briggz

‘*I shouldn’t say reluctantly, I love gs/lb. Never been a huge fan of hambow gameplay though.
**Playing 30/0/0/10/30 is so unforgiving that it forced me to get much better at playing this spec, and it’s fun.

in Warrior

Posted by: improvedai.4083

improvedai.4083

This looks like a lot of fun, I will definitely try out the combo. Good write up.

in Warrior

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

This is similar to the build ive been running since october. These days I run axe/shield and longbow instead of using mace. Longbow helps alot in mid fights and keeping people off the point.

Most people dont know how to fight axe warrior and get bursted down real quick.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

in Warrior

clint.5681

A couple ppl asked me in game to post my build: http://intothemists.com/guides/2262-ragirs_warrior_burstpoint_assualt

if you got questions Pm/whisper/mail or response here

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior

in Warrior

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

When I read “axe burst” I was expecting a stereotypical train-wreck… You know the ones. Built by PvE players who haven’t the slightest clue about anything PvP.

Fortunately, positively surprised. This actually looks like quite a viable, if not forgiving, build. You got the sword shield for mobility and defense, and you have nice setups for Eviscerate and Final Thrust. Thumbs up. Proxy approved.

(Extra kudos if your name is a reference to “The northern wall of Briggs”)

That said, I’m gonna leave you with a small variation I would do, in case you wanna try it out, see how you feel: Here

What I changed and why:

• Missile Deflection > Shield Master : You only have 1 blocking skill (Shield #5). While reflecting a high value projectile is always hilarious and useful, I find that Shield Master is simply more value for your points. This is a very melee oriented meta, not to mention a lot of ranged attacks that can’t be reflected (Mesmer’s GS, Necro’s staff and scepter…). The end result is that while reflecting attacks is useful, it’s less common to get one of those big payoff moments. I find that 20% faster cooldown on Shield bash and the block greatly outweigh the benefits of reflection in most cases. Additionally, since you’re on a full berserker build, those extra 90 toughness really make a difference, since the lower armour value you are at the more any toughness is worth in damage mitigation.
  • Warrior’s Sprint + Runes of Lyssa > Signet Mastery + Runes of Divinity : First of all, I think holding on to Signet of Rage simply as a condi clear is “too expensive”. 30 seconds of swiftness, fury and 5 might stacks (175 power and condi damage) is something you wanna have with the highest uptime possible, IMO. You already have decent condi clear through Cleansing Ire + bursts and berserker’s stance, but you have no other source of fury, and no significant source of swiftness. Additionally, whenever you do have swiftness up, that overlaps with the 25% ms bonus, rendering it null.

With that in mind, Signet mastery is absolutely golden for SoR using warriors. 60 seconds become 48. 30 seconds downtime on all 3 boons becomes 18! You sacrifice the permanent 25% ms for a very high uptime on swiftness (33%) with the added bonus of an equally high uptime on fury (so very important on damage builds – that’s 20% more crits on eviscerates and final thrusts!) and 5 might stacks.

Since, in this case, SoR is something you’re gonna pop right before a fight or whenever it’s off cooldown during a fight, I figure I’d remove Runes of Lyssa since you can’t just sit on it for a condi removal. Cue runes of Divinity for more damage and a little extra toughness (every little bit counts in a berserker build). You can choose to keep runes of Lyssa and just have a semi-passive full condi clear every 48 seconds, but I prefer to have divinity in this case.

• Balanced Stance > Dolyak Signet : Since we’re now using Signet Mastery, the cooldown different between BS and DS is only 8 seconds, and DS gives you some super juicy passive 180 toughness… Together with the previous changes this pushes your armor while in sword/shield to a very respectable 2718! That is a huge difference in damage mitigation from the previous 2388. That’s over 15% damage reduction. That’s a lot of effective health, particularly given Healing Signet + Adrenal Health regen.
  • Finally, sigil changes: +5% crit chance chance and +5% strength on both weapon sets : the crit chance sigils are to offset the slight loss from runes of lyssa. The Strength sigils, on a build with high crit chance and high multiplier moves, are always a toss up between them and sigil of air/fire. However, given that you rely a lot on 2 very hard hitting moves (Final Thrust and Eviscerate) I think you get more out of sigils of strength than out of air/fire.

Just a suggestion, an alternative for you to consider if you wish.

Good build. Cheers.

in Warrior

Posted by: ens.9854

ens.9854

My thief routinely gets air sigil procs for 2000, and with might has gotten up to 2600 hits. At 1000 dmg, he would have to deal over(because he already has other +% dmg mods) 20,000 dmg per proc to make a sigil of force worth it. Sigil of accuracy provide even less, and sigil of strength less yet.

I think the order of power goes something like air/fire > full bloodlust > force > accuracy
with some exceptions for specific builds that can make good use of sigils of battle, or have no crit chance, or REALLY depend on crits (like ele… Maybe)

Edit: plus sigils never “miss” unless you hit AI, while your big damage moves very often will

(edited by ens.9854)

in Warrior

Posted by: Carpboy.7145

Carpboy.7145

I’ve been running something similar, but with hammer instead of Sw/Sh. Its the same traits as the generic hammer build, but it synergies really on allowing easy eviscerates with all the control. Not to mention 43% crit chance, 113% crit dmg, and 3300 armor are a tad OP. i can commonly get 10-15k eviscerate crits on people. Only downside is the low mobility.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIAQNAneSjkOFvpOqQMxBA0jrqiL1D7cLuUBxA-j0BBYfCiEHgEBBKzsIasNDFRjVbDTFjIqWGA9FA-w

The Use of the Word ‘Cheese’
Lyss The Shadow
Legendary Champion of DB [EDGE]

in Warrior

clint.5681

I’ve been running something similar, but with hammer instead of Sw/Sh. Its the same traits as the generic hammer build, but it synergies really on allowing easy eviscerates with all the control. Not to mention 43% crit chance, 113% crit dmg, and 3300 armor are a tad OP. i can commonly get 10-15k eviscerate crits on people. Only downside is the low mobility.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIAQNAneSjkOFvpOqQMxBA0jrqiL1D7cLuUBxA-j0BBYfCiEHgEBBKzsIasNDFRjVbDTFjIqWGA9FA-w

This a WvW build?

in Warrior

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

Sorry but, Hammer and Axe in WvW…? This only works in the middle of a zerg, versus another zerg. You have 0 range and 0 mobility… There’s literally no reason to use axe over sword in a PvP build. Anything other than an NPC is going to kite you to death, or simply turn around and leave you to eat dust.

in Warrior

clint.5681

MH Axe works great in PvP in power builds

in Warrior

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

I play similiar build;
0-20-20-0-30
divinity/zerker
axe/shield-sword/mace

Just when you thought unsuspecting foe had gone away…nope. I also use reflect over dogged march.

I have hit for 7.2ish-13k on evis…I have also had it bottom out and only hit 2.5ish.

Very strong 1 vs 1…but keep longbow to replace sword/mace if PU mesmers/minions start becoming a problem.

in Warrior

clint.5681

I play similiar build;
0-20-20-0-30
divinity/zerker
axe/shield-sword/mace

Just when you thought unsuspecting foe had gone away…nope. I also use reflect over dogged march.

I have hit for 7.2ish-13k on evis…I have also had it bottom out and only hit 2.5ish.

Very strong 1 vs 1…but keep longbow to replace sword/mace if PU mesmers/minions start becoming a problem.

Yup good old longbow, eats pets/AI alive

in Warrior

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

Love the look of this build, trying it out right now

Although I switched Fear Me for Signet of Stamina and balanced stance for Dolyak signet. Dolyak is much better IMO.