Axe/Mace optimal rotation?

in Warrior

Posted by: Larynx.2453

Larynx.2453

For only personal DPS, what is optimal? Spamming 1? Is 5 at point blank useful?

in Warrior

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

Pointless question. If you’re looking for optimal personal DPS it was recently proven that Pure-Greatsword is a better choice.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

in Warrior

Posted by: Larynx.2453

Larynx.2453

Pointless question. If you’re looking for optimal personal DPS it was recently proven that Pure-Greatsword is a better choice.

Condescending and avoiding the question all in the same reply, good job.

in Warrior

Posted by: Caliga Meshima.4768

Caliga Meshima.4768

axe/mace, it’s optimal to use the #2 and #4 when both are off CD, and at the end of your axe chain attack. #5 use at your discretion, but again, use those skills only at the end or beginning of your axe chain attack. Interrupting your chain attack in the middle is a substantial loss of dps.

in Warrior

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

I found skill 5 on mace to be terribly buggy,you have to be Exactly infront of your opponent for the skill to go off.Otherwise it just goes on cd without it ever being fired at all..This happens way to often and people do not stand still..So you have to time your tremor Really well for it not to fail,pay attenton to that.Also tremor can get randomly obstructed at the worst possible times,wich also happens alot.And these two things are the reasons i am not using mace offhand.When youre playing fast paced you will fail tremor alot since you will be moving around constantly and the slightest turn either from you or your foe makes tremor fail.Tbh i think they should fix tremor up a bit so it can follow its path in a bit wider angle instead of the current Straight forward path only.

in Warrior

Posted by: sinzer.4018

sinzer.4018

I use mace offhand all the time. 4 vuln and an interrupt on 1200range is pretty useful. I use mace 5 whenever it’s off CD if we’re fighting a group of non-champs and on champs i use it to start the fight.

axe/mace, it’s optimal to use the #2 and #4 when both are off CD, and at the end of your axe chain attack. #5 use at your discretion, but again, use those skills only at the end or beginning of your axe chain attack. Interrupting your chain attack in the middle is a substantial loss of dps.

i would also suggest learning the individual animations of chop, double chop and triple chop as you can dodge in between them and it won’t interrupt your progress through the attack chain. It’s a really useful thing to learn as you’ll take less of a dps hit when you dodge.

I found skill 5 on mace to be terribly buggy,you have to be Exactly infront of your opponent for the skill to go off.Otherwise it just goes on cd without it ever being fired at all..This happens way to often and people do not stand still..So you have to time your tremor Really well for it not to fail,pay attenton to that.Also tremor can get randomly obstructed at the worst possible times,wich also happens alot.And these two things are the reasons i am not using mace offhand.When youre playing fast paced you will fail tremor alot since you will be moving around constantly and the slightest turn either from you or your foe makes tremor fail.Tbh i think they should fix tremor up a bit so it can follow its path in a bit wider angle instead of the current Straight forward path only.

The issue with failing to get tremor off is down to your targetting. If you untarget things when you’re moving around and want to use that ability you’ll have a way higher success rate.

in Warrior

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

I use mace offhand all the time. 4 vuln and an interrupt on 1200range is pretty useful. I use mace 5 whenever it’s off CD if we’re fighting a group of non-champs and on champs i use it to start the fight.

i would also suggest learning the individual animations of chop, double chop and triple chop as you can dodge in between them and it won’t interrupt your progress through the attack chain. It’s a really useful thing to learn as you’ll take less of a dps hit when you dodge.

The issue with failing to get tremor off is down to your targetting. If you untarget things when you’re moving around and want to use that ability you’ll have a way higher success rate.

True,but that means i have to constantly deselect/select my target,and the targeting system is kinda whack in gw2 so if youre fighting against several people,or even a mesmer or mm nec you will have to deselect him for tremor and then cycle through their minions or clones again to get your target,wich can be quite costly if you happen to select the wrong target again after that.

in Warrior

Posted by: sinzer.4018

sinzer.4018

True,but that means i have to constantly deselect/select my target,and the targeting system is kinda whack in gw2 so if youre fighting against several people,or even a mesmer or mm nec you will have to deselect him for tremor and then cycle through their minions or clones again to get your target,wich can be quite costly if you happen to select the wrong target again after that.

The targetting system is a pain that’s why i try not to use it. The main time i target something is if i’m using a ranged weapon, a movement skill towards an enemy or if i want to keep a closer eye on their buffs.

in Warrior

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

It actually isn’t. If you can’t get off 100b reliably, GS DPS is screwed. Axe AA is a lot easier to get off because you can move and it doesn’t suffer as much from being interrupted for dodges.

Also, I’m not too sure on this one because apparently the tooltips in game don’t show the full picture so I can’t rely on my pure theory calculations (which shows axe to have higher DPS), but apparently the conclusion that theorycrafters who compare DPS tests frame by frame came to was that unless you can wall-WWA, GS and axe actually have about the same DPS.

It really actually also depends on how you play and how the situation turns out. For example, lately, I’ve started to come to a conclusion that personally in most cases in a PUG, if I run an EA build, on most fights which aren’t facerolls, I definitely have higher DPS by using fast hands and switch between them, because I can’t get off 100b all the time (due to things like a lack of personal reaction time to deal with soem of them and other things like how other players move around being out of my control), but just enough that the 5 second CD has significant benefits for me, so being able to constantly adapt and switch between 100b and AA/Evicerate more than compensates for the DPS loss on a single weapon.

(edited by Xae Isareth.1364)

in Warrior

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

It actually isn’t. If you can’t get off 100b reliably, GS DPS is screwed. Axe AA is a lot easier to get off because you can move and it doesn’t suffer as much from being interrupted for dodges.

Also, I’m not too sure on this one because apparently the tooltips in game don’t show the full picture so I can’t rely on my pure theory calculations (which shows axe to have higher DPS), but apparently the conclusion that theorycrafters who compare DPS tests frame by frame came to was that unless you can wall-WWA, GS and axe actually have about the same DPS.

It really actually also depends on how you play and how the situation turns out. For example, lately, I’ve started to come to a conclusion that personally in most cases in a PUG, if I run an EA build, on most fights which aren’t facerolls, I definitely have higher DPS by using fast hands and switch between them, because I can’t get off 100b all the time (due to things like a lack of personal reaction time to deal with soem of them and other things like how other players move around being out of my control), but just enough that the 5 second CD has significant benefits for me, so being able to constantly adapt and switch between 100b and AA/Evicerate more than compensates for the DPS loss on a single weapon.

If you miss the last triple chop your damage sucks with the Axe due to being backloaded damage. Interrupting 100B hurts, but not as much as interrupting your Axe chain as the damage is less backloaded. This was taken into account when DeKeyz & co. helped to calculate DPS. GS is both theoretically and practically better DPS.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

in Warrior

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

If you miss the last triple chop your damage sucks with the Axe due to being backloaded damage. Interrupting 100B hurts, but not as much as interrupting your Axe chain as the damage is less backloaded. This was taken into account when DeKeyz & co. helped to calculate DPS. GS is both theoretically and practically better DPS.

The question is how do you take it into account? Did they assume some sort of percentage chance that each hit isn’t able to land, did different scenario testing on different situations to model an ‘average’ situation, or something else? The assumptions make or break a model, and we need to know what was assumed.

Also, although it hurts more, its a lot easier to land the axe chain and argubaly less hurting even if screw it up.

1. The last axe chain is a lot easier to land than the whole of 100B, simply because its a shorter cast. The fact you can move during it is also a huge advantage,k especially if you’re in a PUG and the boss is running everywhere.

2. If you screw up the axe chain, you can just start over because its an AA, but if you interrupt 100B, you’re on a 7 second CD for it.