Can Axe/Axe be viable? I'm trying...

in Warrior

Posted by: Carnagh.1687

Carnagh.1687

I run axe/axe and rifle mostly in PvE (I’ll use whatever weapon-set takes my fancy at the time), and if it offends you by all means kick me.

It’s an action fantasy mmorpg, it’s fun and entertaining. It’s not rocket science, and no chicks are going to be chatted up in bars with tales of my Sylvari Warrior’s exploits.

I enjoy all the weapon-sets on the Warrior, and I use them all and switch when I get bored. If that offends you, you really need to get over yourself and perhaps gain a little perspective on what the purpose of a game is. This is not vocational. It possesses no virtue beyond the enjoyment it affords. This is not significant, it’s fun.

in Warrior

Posted by: Norjena.5172

Norjena.5172

No1 tells u do not enjoy the playstile u like.
But there is a diffrent between.

I Play X cause i Like X it´s fun for me, thats why im playing it.
OR
I Play X cause it´s rly strong and good, and all this people with their math and logical arguments can go home.

in Warrior

Posted by: nagr.1593

nagr.1593

Axe/axe does have its uses, mainly for its ability to cleave multiple mobs all around you. Its useful if your say defending on the 1-4 robot part in CoE P1, I always go axe/axe for that. Otherwise, I don’t really tend to use it.

Arun Kar

(edited by nagr.1593)

in Warrior

Posted by: voidwater.2064

voidwater.2064

Axe/axe does have its uses, mainly for its ability to cleave multiple mobs all around you. Its useful if your defending on the 1-4 robot part in CoE P1,

Easiest way to do that is to just stand in front of the panel and mash auto attack with Axe, don’t really need any other skills.

in Warrior

nagr.1593

I meant in cases when theres someone in a group (mostly in PuGs) who doesn’t stack right where there supposed to, usually the robots are more spread out. Then it would be easier to use a combination of axe auto and whirling axe rather than moving around alot while hitting axe auto.

Arun Kar

(edited by nagr.1593)

in Warrior

Carnagh.1687

Actually in this thread there are people suggesting exactly that… for some using an axe offhand is ground for auto-kick as a know-nothing.

GW2 is a simple simple game… when you’ve done naked corpse run to the bottom of a dungeon in vanilla EQ… GW2 is an incredibly easy game… If you like using the axe in the offhand, really just use it. No groups in PvE are failing because the Warrior is using an axe offhand. Really, stop the angst-ridden, obsessive nonsense.

If you’re getting bent out of shape over what Warriors are using in their off-hand, you’ve lost perspective and are making a mountain out of a tiny wee molehill… find something more important to worry about.

All weapon-sets for the Warrior are viable in PvE.

Whatever you class, please play with the build, the gear, and the weapon-set that you think feels fun and looks cool. Don’t let other people suck the fun out of your game. It doesn’t matter when you’re running around as a pointy eared plant-man whether or not you’re being sub-optimal…. Do you have a smile on your face?

in Warrior

Norjena.5172

To say no gruop is failing because of this, is not a argument. It´s an appeal to emotion.

A Rifle Soldier warrior is making a lot dungeons much more difficult for all others as a wp GS/Axe Zerk warrior.

If u want to play what u want builds, join play what u want gruops.

in Warrior

Posted by: voidwater.2064

voidwater.2064

It’s not offensive to run what you want, it’s offensive to pretend that something non-optimal is optimal, and blindly dismiss facts.

which is what xbutcherx is doing.

in Warrior

Posted by: Syn Sity.5826

Syn Sity.5826

Actually in this thread there are people suggesting exactly that… for some using an axe offhand is ground for auto-kick as a know-nothing.

GW2 is a simple simple game… when you’ve done naked corpse run to the bottom of a dungeon in vanilla EQ… GW2 is an incredibly easy game… If you like using the axe in the offhand, really just use it. No groups in PvE are failing because the Warrior is using an axe offhand. Really, stop the angst-ridden, obsessive nonsense.

If you’re getting bent out of shape over what Warriors are using in their off-hand, you’ve lost perspective and are making a mountain out of a tiny wee molehill… find something more important to worry about.

Whatever you class, please play with the build, the gear, and the weapon-set that you think feels fun and looks cool. Don’t let other people suck the fun out of your game. It doesn’t matter when you’re running around as a pointy eared plant-man whether or not you’re being sub-optimal…. Do you have a smile on your face?

I find it hard to believe you had done anything difficult in any other game considering you acknowledge that axe/axe isn’t optimal and still use it because it’s “fun”. And by the way, significance is relative. Saying that something isn’t significant to you doesn’t make it insignificant to everyone else.

As others have mentioned, no one is saying don’t run what you want. But don’t claim that it’s good just because you enjoy it. You’ve missed the point of the thread entirely but I’m sure that is something that happens to you regularly.

[DnT]

(edited by Syn Sity.5826)

in Warrior

Carnagh.1687

@ Syn, that’s just a personal characterisation of me on your part. It’s not needed to make your point.

in Warrior

Posted by: Alasteir.7031

Alasteir.7031

I find it hard to believe you had done anything difficult in any other game considering you acknowledge that axe/axe isn’t optimal and still use it because it’s “fun”. And by the way, significance is relative. Saying that something isn’t significant to you doesn’t make it insignificant to everyone else.

As others have mentioned, no one is saying don’t run what you want. But don’t claim that it’s good just because you enjoy it. You’ve missed the point of the thread entirely but I’m sure that is something that happens to you regularly.

And I do believe you’re missing the point of his/her post, when it was a direct response to the person who said they would auto-kick someone for merely having an axe equipped in the offhand, which I’m inclined to agree with him/her. Now if the person who said they would auto-kick at the mere sight of an offhand axe, had DIRECTLY stated before invited in some way shape or form to notify said Warrior that optimal builds are the only builds allowed, then he/she would be in the moral right to auto-kick him/her for not abiding to his/her’s prestated rules for being a part of the group.

Axe offhand is crap in comparison to other offhands. Obviously, however, unless the group has made it clear that no one in the group should be using a crap build for aesthetic/personal reasons, then I don’t see a problem whatsoever. Guild Wars 2 is a highly aesthetic game. The people who strictly play optimal builds in everything they do are a minority I do believe. Nothing wrong with that.

Disclaimer: This is a response only to the issue of auto-kicking someone at the mere sight of a questionable piece of equipment. Not the issue of the other person claiming axe offhand being effective over other offhands.

Lady Novae – 80 Human Ele – Blackgate

in Warrior

Posted by: xbutcherx.3861

xbutcherx.3861

Let me clarify this. I never said that Whirling axe was intended for 1 target because we all know that is kitten damage, but if you are surrounded by mobs like always inside dungeons whirling axe is a great AOE.
It is not the same hitting auto attack ( that does a lot more damage ) in front of you than around, is like you hitting 10k with auto to 3 mobs on front of you or 7k to 10 mobs all around you. I use it because it mobility and AOE range.
I don’t use Whirling Axe on a single target because is plain dumb. Mace does more damage but is intended for single target.
And from all the game I played before AOE skills always hit less and Whirling Axe is an AOE skill.

(edited by xbutcherx.3861)

in Warrior

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

offhand axe is not viable, period

some people use it in solo settings for the fury from #4 (they drop fgj for another signet) but other than that offhand axe is the worst offhand weapon that warriors have.

also, if you’re talking about pure axe vs pure GS the DPS from pure axe is much better.

I can beat top players fairly consistently with an off hand axe, but it’s real strength is in its versatile (evasive!) cleave.

Phaatonn, London UK

in Warrior

Syn Sity.5826

offhand axe is not viable, period

some people use it in solo settings for the fury from #4 (they drop fgj for another signet) but other than that offhand axe is the worst offhand weapon that warriors have.

also, if you’re talking about pure axe vs pure GS the DPS from pure axe is much better.

I can beat top players fairly consistently with an off hand axe, but it’s real strength is in its versatile (evasive!) cleave.

This conversation is about PvE (dungeons) only.

[DnT]

in Warrior

Norjena.5172

It is not the same hitting auto attack ( that does a lot more damage ) in front of you than around, is like you hitting 10k with auto to 3 mobs on front of you or 7k to 10 mobs all around you. I use it because it mobility and AOE range.

AoE´s are capped to 5 targets.

in Warrior

xbutcherx.3861

5 target and still doing more damage than 3. THAT IS MY POINT. but whatever.. keep playing you axe/mace

in Warrior

Norjena.5172

5 target and still doing more damage than 3. THAT IS MY POINT. but whatever.. keep playing you axe/mace

No it isn´t, hitting 3 targets with mace 5 and Axe AA is more dmg then Axe 5.

And, u knockdown them (can save allies lifes) and u´re focusing them. So they are faster down and can deal less dmg to u or ur allies.

in Warrior

Syn Sity.5826

If you’d like we can do a dungeon/find a mob and see who kills it faster?

[DnT]

in Warrior

Posted by: jingkangtan.6752

jingkangtan.6752

you should really stop talking all you are spouting is rubbish

in Warrior

xbutcherx.3861

If you’d like we can do a dungeon/find a mob and see who kills it faster?

Sure tell me when and where …

in Warrior

xbutcherx.3861

And, u knockdown them (can save allies lifes) and u´re focusing them. So they are faster down and can deal less dmg to u or ur allies.

and yeah knock down 1 MOB only and hit 1 MOB only with mace. lol

in Warrior

xbutcherx.3861

Oh and wait for that 20 sec CD to do it again .ROFL

in Warrior

Posted by: Delay.6908

Delay.6908

and yeah knock down 1 MOB only and hit 1 MOB only with mace. lol

Mace #5 hits 5 mobs, and if they are in melee it hits them twice.

Dr Winston | [DnT]

in Warrior

Norjena.5172

Oh and wait for that 20 sec CD to do it again .ROFL

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Whirling_Axe

Your arguments don´t get better. Rly it´s time to say. OK you´re (we´re) right, i play Axe/Axe cause i like it, just for fun. Not for being effectiv.

in Warrior

xbutcherx.3861

LOL you know for trolling you guys are really bad. Let’s see mace 5 damage: 735 unbuffed with 25 sec CD and Axe 5 damage: 15x 2595 unbuffed with a 16 sec CD. You better play another class or you never used Axe/Mace before.. so funny and if you want to use for CC better use hammer.

in Warrior

Posted by: Anicetus.1253

Anicetus.1253

1470 with 0.5 seconds activation time is still stronger than 2595 with 3.5 seconds activation time. To be exact, axe 5 must deal 10290 to be on the same level.

in Warrior

xbutcherx.3861

1470 with 0.5 seconds activation time is still stronger than 2595 with 3.5 seconds activation time. To be exact, axe 5 must deal 10290 to be on the same level.

ROFL and no counting the CD right? a staggering 10 sec difference. Let’s do math
15 × 2595 = 7-10 k on 5 targets over 3.5 sec
1 × 735 = 3k on 5 targets over .5 sec
Please do the math counting the huge difference on CD and stop trolling.
I don’t trait axe still there is a 2.5 sec difference on CD, but the whole point to get max damage and results is get sharpened axe trait.

(edited by xbutcherx.3861)

in Warrior

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

10k on 5 targets over 3.5 sec = 50k/3.5 = 14.3k dps
3k on 5 targets over 0.5 sec = 15k/0.5 = 30k dps

Ignoring cooldowns. Obviously those arent true dps values because you cant use them permanently.

If we assume axe auto is 8k dps on a single target, so for cleave it would be 24k dps.

For axe/axe we have 16 sec cd so 12.5 secs of auto and 3.5 of whirling axe. So for total damage over 16 seconds we get:
12.5*24k + 50k = 300k
→ 300k/16 = 18.75k dps

For axe/mace we have 25 sec cd so 24.5 secs of auto and 0.5 secs of tremor. So for total damage over 25 seconds we get:
24.5*24k + 15k = 603k
→ 603k/25 = 24.12k dps

So yeah you are better off just auto attacking with axe/mace when cleaving/aoeing mobs.

(edited by spoj.9672)

in Warrior

Posted by: Konu.1826

Konu.1826

If I add you are also not calculating the fact mace hits every target twice in melee range, would that be enough to finally convince butcher? I guess not. I mean, there is nothing wrong with having false information but please don’t ignorantly stick to it.

For butcher: If you happen to play in EU we can go and find 1-5 mobs (5 so you can utilize your axe 5 to its fullest) and see who kills those mobs faster. Your trait build using axe/axe or my trait build using axe/mace or axe/axe depending on what we want to test. If you want you can freely do your gs rotation or whatever and I can just spam axe 1. I just want this to end, I’m sad.

in Warrior

Posted by: Decado.9304

Decado.9304

I ran Axe/Axe for many months and still do a fair amount, simply because i like the aesthetics of it, however when I’m wanting to max dps/control i use mace/axe.

Axe/Axe is quite noticibly weaker and certainly less useful than axe/mace.

in Warrior

spoj.9672

Yep if you include that mace 5 can hit twice in melee you get 24.72k dps. Basically axe/mace is only marginally better than pure axe auto. If it hits twice because of melee then its a fairly decent 0.7k dps increase over auto attack. Whereas whirling axe drops your total dps way below axe auto. So yeah really good damage!

You can even assume axe auto deals only deals 5k dps and it would still out dps whirling axe when cleaving.

(edited by spoj.9672)

in Warrior

xbutcherx.3861

Why you keep comparing Auto with Axe 5? I don’t get it. Like I said before the sole purpose of using Axe 5 is to maximize AOE damage when surrounded by mobs. Mace 5 only does damage in front of you.
When I get targets on the side or behind or far from me I use Axe 5 and is very effective if I’m using 125% critical damage, something you cannot do with any other off hand. If you using Mace to CC then you better off with Hammer.
Want to test? send me a PM in game.

in Warrior

Posted by: sinzer.4018

sinzer.4018

I have ran with axe/axe + longbow (cleansing ire, sharpened axes, burst mastery). Was just to see if i could build for spamming burst. It did alright, did fine in level 10-19 fractals. Loads of builds are viable to an extent.

I do focus on axes still, but i run axe/mace + GS (or LB if need ranged) . The only time i switch to axe/axe is the grawl fractal so i can quickly get rid of the Shaman’s shield stacks. Don’t see much use anywhere else.

(edited by sinzer.4018)

in Warrior

xbutcherx.3861

I have ran with axe/axe + longbow (cleansing ire, sharpened axes, burst mastery). Was just to see if i could build for spamming burst. It did alright, did fine in level 10-19 fractals. Loads of builds are viable to an extent.

I do focus on axes still, but i run axe/mace + GS (or LB if need ranged) . The only time i switch to axe/axe is the grawl fractal so i can quickly get rid of the Shaman’s shield stacks. Don’t see much use anywhere else.

Yeah I use axe/axe on dungeons or fractals like The Ascalonian War or Dredge is awesome with Hammer, Axe 5 while doing AOE damage gets adrenaline really fast ( 1.5 sec)so I can spam EarthShaker.

in Warrior

spoj.9672

I just proved with maths that axe auto and mace 5 are better for aoe than axe offhand. Mobs being behind you is not an issue because you can rotate your character to always be hitting 3-5 mobs with every attack. Which will always out dps whirling axe in every possible scenario.

(edited by spoj.9672)

in Warrior

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

I would expect Whirling Axe to remove 0-1 stacks from Shaman’s bubble. Never tried though so I may be wrong.

in Warrior

Syn Sity.5826

I’m pretty sure this guy is impossible to convince. Even if you tested the difference between the two, he would come up with some excuse as to why the situation wasn’t optimal for his build. After he said he loves to use hammer in fractals I fear we may just be getting trolled.

[DnT]

in Warrior

Posted by: guanlongwucaii.3162

guanlongwucaii.3162

I’m pretty sure this guy is impossible to convince. Even if you tested the difference between the two, he would come up with some excuse as to why the situation wasn’t optimal for his build. After he said he loves to use hammer in fractals I fear we may just be getting trolled.

HAVE U TRy?? if not kitten u dumb troll……

arcing slice on CD = 1 year fury lol eles are for noobs…. dont talk about speedruns coz u know people all just exploit their way thru content.

we’re probably all wasting our time arguing against this creature. PUGs don’t take kindly to logic (or any form of intelligence at all). it’s a sad trait of their stunted, subhuman minds…

in Warrior

spoj.9672

Meh, Im taking the silence as a win.

in Warrior

Posted by: Keitaro Dragonheart.9047

Keitaro Dragonheart.9047

I main a thief, so I wont claim to be a master @ warrior or anything. I run a Valk/Zerk mix for my armor, usually running w/ a GS, AA, rifle, and LB.

Now, frankly, idc how much less viable A/A may or may not be than other combos. I enjoy using A/A. In fact, one of my favorite combos is A/A+LB. Build adren, drop a fire field in the middle of a group of mobs, swap to A/A and pop Whirling Axe. I find this combination fun! All games should be about what’s fun, not about what’s most effective. If you have fun playing the most effective build, that’s fine, but imo Fun > All. So if you want to run A/A, by all means do it.

in Warrior

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

I main a thief, so I wont claim to be a master @ warrior or anything. I run a Valk/Zerk mix for my armor, usually running w/ a GS, AA, rifle, and LB.

Now, frankly, idc how much less viable A/A may or may not be than other combos. I enjoy using A/A. In fact, one of my favorite combos is A/A+LB. Build adren, drop a fire field in the middle of a group of mobs, swap to A/A and pop Whirling Axe. I find this combination fun! All games should be about what’s fun, not about what’s most effective. If you have fun playing the most effective build, that’s fine, but imo Fun > All. So if you want to run A/A, by all means do it.

As a thief you should also note that the Stolen Whirling Axe is much better than the Axe 5 Whirling Axe.

in Warrior

Posted by: Agony.3542

Agony.3542

Axe 5 very good tagging in zerg fights. Much loot, so efficient!

RIP game 2012-2014

in Warrior

nagr.1593

one of my favorite combos is A/A+LB. Build adren, drop a fire field in the middle of a group of mobs, swap to A/A and pop Whirling Axe. I find this combination fun! All games should be about what’s fun, not about what’s most effective. If you have fun playing the most effective build, that’s fine, but imo Fun > All. So if you want to run A/A, by all means do it.

This sort of fun would also result in many more deaths than necesary. Thus effectively killing your fun unless you choose to use a more ‘effective’ build.

Arun Kar

in Warrior

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

Axe5 is viable with 25 bloodlust and 25 stacks of might, empowered/empower allies. It’s decent with 25 bloodlust + a few stacks of might +empowered and Destruction of the Empowered, but there’s nothing to stop u from using it. If u figure something out that makes it worth using, by all means, go for it!

“If we compare max buffed axe5 to unbuffed axe1 then-”

wat?

in Warrior

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

I’ve been running Axe/Axe and Axe/Mace for my pure Axe build recently (30/10/0/0/30). I use /Axe over /Sword because skill 4 does almost as much damage as the final Axe auto-chain hitso I find it more useful than sword and also in my guild groups my only source of Fury is Warbanner/For Great Justice so when Warbanner is on cool down it helps keep perma-fury.

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals