Critique / Help with WvW Build

in Warrior

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Hi all

I’ve almost got world completion with my warrior. After that’s done I would like to take focus from PvE to WvW. I’ve come up with this build:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIEQNBHhFaE0JFO5x6hJOggKohmHHBQUEqHwhbEHA-jEDB4fBCdEkUAk4AiIAI7JiJQDZtUqIasqaJVbDT5SQ2auIa1SBExwI-w

Please critique it and tell me if I should change anything. One thing that bothers me is only 35% critical chance. I’m not sure if that’s ok or really bad. My PvE build is way higher than that.

I would like to try going all melee rather than have melee and ranged, since I don’t really like the LB and the rifle may not be optimum for WvW. So far my WvW experience is limited – just running with the zerg. The few times I was caught alone I was wasted pretty quick (with my old PvE build of axe/mace and rifle). Anyway, i just joined a guild that is into WvW and I hope to be able to do zerg as well as roaming with a smaller group. I would like to be able to handle 1v1, and I know skill has a lot to do with that, but is the above an ok build for 1v1?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

in Warrior

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Firstly, your Zerg build will be different to your Roaming build.

In zergs, you don’t have to worry as much about Swiftness (there’s always some being thrown about). However, what you should bring is group utility (banners, shouts, blast finishers for Might stacking ect) and a weapon that can hit a lot of enemies at once (Greatsword, Axe Offhand, Longbow) while dealing respectable damage.

In roaming, you’re going to want to take a stub-breaker or two (Endure Pain, Balanced Stance, Frenzy, SIO!, Stomp, Dolyak Signet) for the 1v1 encounters. As well as this, try to bring some CC (Immobilise, KnockDown, Stun) to set up for Eviscerate. Swiftness is also handy.

Taking these into consideration, you’ll also want a Trait setup that allows you to switch between the builds if you decide you want to do one or the other and not port back into town to reset them.

Second, what do you want to do? More steady damage with survivability? Crits for big numbers? This will determine your trait and gear setup (weapon choice, runes, sigils ect).

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Warrior

ozmaniandevil.6805

Thank you for the reply. OK, so different setup totally for zerg and small group, with trait set to be used for both.

I’m used to doing a lot of big crits in PvE, but I feel that maybe steady damage with decent survivability would be good for me since I’m still quite new to WvW. Can you suggest armor/weapons/runes and trinkets for both? Right now I’m using mostly Valkyrie weapons with a mixture Knight/Berserker armor – basically went all out for critical damage in PvE.

in Warrior

Posted by: atreyu.9624

atreyu.9624

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIEQNBHhFaE0JFO5x6hJOggKohmHHBQUEqHwhbEHA-jEDB4fBCdEkUAk4AiIAI7JiJQDZtUqIasqaJVbDT5SQ2auIa1SBExwI-w
I would like to be able to handle 1v1, and I know skill has a lot to do with that, but is the above an ok build for 1v1?

short answer is no. With that you are gonna get your kitten handled to you by anyone who isnt terribad.

And running around with not even 1 stun breaker means that a cookie cutter mace/GS warrior is gonna stomp you in one single skullcrack/100b. Or you are gonna get thrown around like a toy by those running with hammers.

Jump on the Mace/whatever&Greatsword train and enjoy steamrolling almost trough anything in 1v1.

Or an Hammer/whatever build. that’s pretty faceroll too.

Or if you want to join the hipsters-warriors ranks, then go Condition dmg with swords/whatever

Can you suggest armor/weapons/runes and trinkets for both? Right now I’m using mostly Valkyrie weapons with a mixture Knight/Berserker armor – basically went all out for critical damage in PvE.

first you need a build, then you build the gear around it.

With the armor you already have you are almost good to go for Mace/whatever&Greatsword.

A mix of Valkyrie/berserk/cavalier.
-Pimp out your critical damage for obvious reasons
- get yourself to 30% critical chance (or that’s what I like aiming for, without counting fury)
- The rest goes to Toughness/vitality

Building your gear around what you already have (berserk armor and valkyrie weapons NO ASCENDED)
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIQQNBhSDbk0J4t4RFiJOggUohVxRhSwEqH2RdEHA-j0xA4LB5kHREb6DTxgpKB0nLq2bUEtaA-w
Something like this is perfect for solo roaming, and 1v1 in wvw. (food, runes and sigils left out). Pretty much as competitive as it gets.

little big wizard – Eu

(edited by atreyu.9624)

in Warrior

Posted by: Malik.6781

Malik.6781

I would suggest something like this.

Attachments:

in Warrior

ozmaniandevil.6805

atreyu, thank you for your help and suggestions. I appreciate it

in Warrior

ozmaniandevil.6805

OK, so for roaming, how is the following build? I used your help, atreyu, and changed out runes on armor; added war horn with mace. What do you think? For zerg fighting should I go with something completely different or will this be ok for both if I maybe swap out GS for LB?

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fIEQNBJhFaE0J4t4RFiJOggUohVxRhSwEqH2RdEHA-j0DB4LCiUDRkWGI5JiJQDZtUqIasqGYqSJWZCV7CQ/CycOQeDIuDp2lATKgIWGB-w

in Warrior

atreyu.9624

OK, so for roaming, how is the following build? I used your help, atreyu, and changed out runes on armor; added war horn with mace. What do you think? For zerg fighting should I go with something completely different or will this be ok for both if I maybe swap out GS for LB?

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fIEQNBJhFaE0J4t4RFiJOggUohVxRhSwEqH2RdEHA-j0DB4LCiUDRkWGI5JiJQDZtUqIasqGYqSJWZCV7CQ/CycOQeDIuDp2lATKgIWGB-w

Drop Mending get Signet (you have cleansing ire, stamina signet and berserk rage to fight conditions, and you can even run -cond duration food if u feel like it)

Runes of rage are “fine enough”, they are cheap. Consider Hoelbrak runes too if you want to spend a bit more. they are cheap aswell.

Dump that Food. Do you really wanna spend 31 silver per Hour? Get -condi duration food. The 36% one. Or some cheaper food. But hey if you are rich the food you have chosen is good.

You have a bit too much base crit chance in my opinions for a Mace/greatsword build.
Decrease crit chance to 30%, raise some of the other main stats.

Whats wrong with the sigils? You want these ones:
Sigil of paralyzation on the MACE
Sigil of impact on the GS
on the warhorn you can go for DOOM or ENERGY, or some other choices of your likings.

This is what you are looking for (With the gear you have chosen)

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIEQNBJhFak0J4t4RFiJOggUohVxRhSwEqH2RdEHA-jEEB4LCi0yQ0HgECAJPRMBaIrlSFRjV1ATVKxKToaXA6XQmzBybAxdI1uEYyAssFA-w

So long story short:

The only thing left in my opinion, like I’ve already said, is that you can lower that crit chance to 30% and increase something else.

Replace the BACK item.

Consider another set of runes. Hoelbrak might be a good choice, not expensive. Melandrus too but they are expensive.

the base build of mace/Gs is among the best options for roaming, so all you need to do after setting it up, is learn to play (easy or hard as it might be, as people see it quite faceroll…)

For zerging probably mace/GS is not the best option at all. I think warriors runs Hammer or something, it surely isn’t bad.
I Don’t play that side of WvW anymore so can’t really say.

little big wizard – Eu

(edited by atreyu.9624)

in Warrior

ozmaniandevil.6805

Thanks again. I appreciate the time you’re taking to explain everything. How’s this one?
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIEQNBJhFak0J4t4RFiJOggUohVxRhSwEqH2RdEHA-jEEB4LCi0yQUHgECAJPRM7JoJQJrMqIas6FYKToaXA6XQqYJ2aOxmzBydIryAUsFA-w

in Warrior

atreyu.9624

Thanks again. I appreciate the time you’re taking to explain everything. How’s this one?
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIEQNBJhFak0J4t4RFiJOggUohVxRhSwEqH2RdEHA-jEEB4LCi0yQUHgECAJPRM7JoJQJrMqIas6FYKToaXA6XQqYJ2aOxmzBydIryAUsFA-w

everything looks fine. Still like I said, I prefer valk/cavalier/bers to knight/soldier for this kind of build, since you will be losing crit dmg which is the main source of dmg from your skullcrack/100bcombo.

But 80% is good anyway. You are set to go, just need to practice the build in game now.

ps: Melandru are quite expensive, keep always in mind Hoelbrak they are a fine choice too.
Also keep always in mind the-condi duration food (the 36% one), you can never go wrong in wvw with that one.

little big wizard – Eu

(edited by atreyu.9624)

in Warrior

ozmaniandevil.6805

Thanks. You’ve been a great help. I didn’t check price on Melandru, but I’ll keep Hoelbrek in mind.

in Warrior

Posted by: Sovereign.1093

Sovereign.1093

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/warrior/?8.0|2.5p.hz.d19.0.0|c.1c.hz.g.5c.hy.0.0.d19|1c.7x.1c.7x.1c.7x.1c.7x.1c.7x.1c.7x|4u.d19.2u.d19.3u.d19.2u.d19.3u.d19.3u.d19|0.0.u28a.u29c.a4|y.1|5x.69.6b.6g.6k|e

I find this to be a good build when running as a zerg warrior. I’ve used this effectively against t1 servers where my team is always outmanned, outgunned, and outcovered. But, that didn’t stop us from killing them every now and then.

[Salt] Heavy Loot Bag

Always Loyal

in Warrior

ozmaniandevil.6805

Thank you Sovereign, I’m checking it out now!

in Warrior

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-s;4RK-Q0e4gL-60;9;44-TJE;417A18-5;06V19_;16TsW6TsWn-kc0-5fv1;1jVo0t1yY3_95130Cs0V;5FYDok2Eo;9;9;9;9;84k3X

serves me the best for t1 zerging. shout heals are comparable to 1 heal off a omnomberry compote or 1 -2 heals off a restoration sigil and arent neccessary for SELF survival in the slighest. This is built for taking sieged up keeps/survival in mega zergs

in Warrior

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/warrior/?8.0|2.5p.hz.d19.0.0|c.1c.hz.g.5c.hy.0.0.d19|1c.7x.1c.7x.1c.7x.1c.7x.1c.7x.1c.7x|4u.d19.2u.d19.3u.d19.2u.d19.3u.d19.3u.d19|0.0.u28a.u29c.a4|y.1|5x.69.6b.6g.6k|e

I find this to be a good build when running as a zerg warrior. I’ve used this effectively against t1 servers where my team is always outmanned, outgunned, and outcovered. But, that didn’t stop us from killing them every now and then.

GS for anything outside of roaming is really bad idea.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

in Warrior

Posted by: Sovereign.1093

Sovereign.1093

GS for anything outside of roaming is really bad idea.

I did not make a gs build. I think perhaps you are replying to the wrong post. ^.^

[Salt] Heavy Loot Bag

Always Loyal

in Warrior

ozmaniandevil.6805

http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-s;4RK-Q0e4gL-60;9;44-TJE;417A18-5;06V19_;16TsW6TsWn-kc0-5fv1;1jVo0t1yY3_95130Cs0V;5FYDok2Eo;9;9;9;9;84k3X

serves me the best for t1 zerging. shout heals are comparable to 1 heal off a omnomberry compote or 1 -2 heals off a restoration sigil and arent neccessary for SELF survival in the slighest. This is built for taking sieged up keeps/survival in mega zergs

I like that build. Thanks JJ. I’m trying to get used to the hammer and sw/wh setup. I will need a lot of practice. I’ve been doing PvE almost exclusively, using rifle and axe/mace or rifle and GS. I’m terribad with the new build so far

Edit: bad in small skirmishes; easy to kill lots of people in a zerg melee.

(edited by ozmaniandevil.6805)