Defense line in a PVE build?

in Warrior

Posted by: Oldirtbeard.9834

Oldirtbeard.9834

I was wondering if I could trait Defense as long as I still used Phalanx Strength and Berserker Specs?

in Warrior

Posted by: Oslaf Beinir.5842

Oslaf Beinir.5842

Short answer is no, just use the meta build.

It serves little to no purpose to go with that combination as you wont be capping might on anyone unless you modify the build a bit. Even then you’d only use something like this for open world group content and for your personal pleasure. In instanced 5 man content in pve the pug groups would kick you for something like this.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQNBhYDbkpDq9wKPwvD4ExSWglkBuAnOkBXBIA8uZDtnWA-TxBBwAAuAAnVCiV5XlHAQKdD12fAn6PkCIwJAA-e

maybe something cheap like this could fit with what you had in mind but again its only for your open world content pleasure.

if you are interested in the meta builds for warriors in pve, then watch Nike’s updated guide.

Get In The Van Yo[PR] -Play on Far Shiverpeaks/Gunner’s Hold/Vabbi

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in Warrior

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

Lol dont listen to that.

Unless you raid you can do what ever you want. I personally hate the warriors who cant survive in fractals thinking they have to run the meta raid build and that goes for eles as well.

I run defense/discipline/zerker in PvE and i simply run the shout (for might) power flag banner and endure the pain.

No one complains and i can self sustain around 10+ might and if anyone adds any might im at 20+.

Seriously unless its raids you can do what ever you want.

in Warrior

Posted by: NikeEU.7690

NikeEU.7690

Where would the Might come from to power Phalanx Strength? You need Forceful Greatsword which is in strength line. If you then lose Berserker you are now down about 20% damage or more. What traits in defense are worth that? If you’re dying too much its because you need to practice more and rebind your dodge button to something more handy.

[DnT]::Nike::
www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt

in Warrior

Posted by: Stiofan.6720

Stiofan.6720

Typical PS warrior (str/tact/zerk) is extremely overrated thanks to it’s use in raids. It only works well in endgame when there’s a dedicated healer in the group keeping them alive.

My personal warrior build, I’m very very rarely downed and 9 times out of 10 I’m the last one alive on a t4 boss encounter and I end up having to finish the (25% hp) boss off solo.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQJARDnMdAVhgdhAElileAzIA8BiAI7ueQM4d6mdHvA-TxBEABMp8zu9HaTXTiq/AwlUYLlgG8kCAA-e

To answer your question about def in PS build you can go def,tact,zerk, PS will activate with str sigils/runes and eternal champion, You’ll only be putting out about 5/10 stacks.

in Warrior

Oldirtbeard.9834

I’ll just have to Git Gud, are there any gear choices that might help me more like Valk ( I figure as long as I’m stacking might and bringing banners and staying alive most people will be happy)?

in Warrior

Posted by: The Not so Evil Overlord.6305

The Not so Evil Overlord.6305

If you’re having trouble surviving while rolling a PS build, you could always drop to the old fashioned core warrior PS build. Strength, Tactics, and then just take Defense. Your DPS might go down by a little bit, (though, you’ll be rolling with permanent fury uptime on yourself, so that’ll help balance out the DPS) but well, you’ll still be getting 25 stacks of might for your party, which is the main point.
And well, there’s the old saying “Dead DPS is no DPS.” So, yeah. I’d suggest, that if you’re having trouble surviving running a berserker PS build, then just go and run a core warrior build. Better to be alive with slightly less damage than to be dead with more damage while you’re up.

Egbert the Erudite, of Tarnished Coast

in Warrior

Posted by: Elegie.3620

Elegie.3620

I’ll just have to Git Gud, are there any gear choices that might help me more like Valk ( I figure as long as I’m stacking might and bringing banners and staying alive most people will be happy)?

Dungeons have their own mechanics. I think that understanding these comes first. You need to discern attack patterns of enemies, and build proper tactics to deal with it (dodge, block, evade, cleanse when needed, use terrain to your advantage and so on…).

Do you know that most dungeons can be solo’ed? It does not require any particular advanced gear to do so, and the exercise of solo’ing (or duo’ing) can help you gain experience rather quickly, both about the dungeon and your class.

As for the group, stacking might, providing banners and empowering allies should certainly be expected – but you’re expected to DPS as well. Killing fast, i.e. killing before you don’t have any dodge, evade or friendly Aegis remaining, is often the best way to stay alive.

Actually, killing fast is one of the most popular strategy in GW2 (love it or hate it), and in this regard, any player in the group not participating in the DPS might have his team mates killed, especially when these are average players in terms of skills.

in Warrior

Oldirtbeard.9834

If you’re having trouble surviving while rolling a PS build, you could always drop to the old fashioned core warrior PS build. Strength, Tactics, and then just take Defense. Your DPS might go down by a little bit, (though, you’ll be rolling with permanent fury uptime on yourself, so that’ll help balance out the DPS) but well, you’ll still be getting 25 stacks of might for your party, which is the main point.
And well, there’s the old saying “Dead DPS is no DPS.” So, yeah. I’d suggest, that if you’re having trouble surviving running a berserker PS build, then just go and run a core warrior build. Better to be alive with slightly less damage than to be dead with more damage while you’re up.

Sounds like a plan, thanks for letting me know that the elite isn’t necessary.

in Warrior

Posted by: Henry.5713

Henry.5713

The meta PS warrior is nothing more and nothing less than the most efficient team build you could run with the current meta strategy. It is not perfect and there are some small rune variations and even a condition version.
People who are able to perform said strategy, as in those who can run meta builds themselves without dying constantly, stick together, CC, have good damage, etc. would want you to bring the full meta build as that would be the most efficient thing to do.

Thing is, as others have said, there are groups and pugs who do terrible with such offensive builds. Going with something that works for you makes more sense in that scenario.
I would suggest to go with something like STR, DEF, TAC or the condition PS with DEF, TAC, BER and at least one banner. Even a more defensive warrior should always focus on providing their great offensive buffs: Might, banners, Empower Allies.

You should still try to focus on improving to the point where you no longer need DEF and can be an asset to your group. It might be the case that you could be the last one alive and all but you will also be in groups where you are one of five people alive at the one. While you ran no banners, EA and stacked very little might. Kind of why I suggested to run at least TAC and banners even if you still need DEF.

(edited by Henry.5713)

in Warrior

Posted by: Goldfox.5729

Goldfox.5729

Are you with a good group that knows how to CC, heal, buff, coordianate, stay alive and get stuff done as efficiently as possible? Run the meta build and learn to run it.

Are you with pugs that don’t mind taking 2 hours completing T4 fractals? Run whatever you want!

‘’Many have eyes, but few have seen.’’ – Scriptures of Lyssa, 45 BE

in Warrior

Oldirtbeard.9834

Are you with a good group that knows how to CC, heal, buff, coordianate, stay alive and get stuff done as efficiently as possible? Run the meta build and learn to run it.

Are you with pugs that don’t mind taking 2 hours completing T4 fractals? Run whatever you want!

Well considering I suck and I only successfully evade half the time even after playing this twitch box game for 3 years then yeah I’ll go with option 2 with the rest of the unwashed masses.