Defiant Stance discussion

in Warrior

Posted by: bobomb.5209

bobomb.5209

It might just be me but I actually don’t like this healing skill. I like the idea of a healing stance. But 3 seconds of an activation time does not have good synergy with the “Sure Footed” trait. But if you added any more time onto it the skill would be pretty OP. This skill only really shines in group battles (Gotta love dem WvW zergs). But in any other instance you will rarely find use for it. PvE players would find it difficult to use as you would need multiple mobs, or a rapid attacking mob, to make the skill work. PvP players would find it difficult because, while it would be good if you were going up against 3-5 players, going up against even 2 people, would find the skill underwhelming. The only attacks in PvP I can think of that would work well for you would be rangers short bow, thiefs stolen warrior skill, and warriors using rifles Volley (But cmon, how many warriors REALLY use rifle?). All I am saying is while its an “ok” skill. Defiant Stance isn’t game-changing, and is very situational. The only redeeming qualities I can see in this is obviously for WvW. And for making smarter warriors because if you burn that skill early or too late, you are dead. But this is all my own opinion please, feel free to put up your own opinions down below, and if you have any, alternative healing skill ideas would be welcome!

in Warrior

Posted by: mini.6018

mini.6018

Idkl .Seems like meh to me because really high cooldown AGAIN .Other classes can benefit better from theirs i believe since they already have other healing means and warrior has none except if he runs shouts but that would be counterproductive with the new jheal being a stance.

Guard benefits from lower cd,fury and aditional heal because a meditation
Signets ,well signets in general.

My opinion on the top of my head but will have to see how much exactly do these skills heal.

in Warrior

Posted by: Seetoo.9316

Seetoo.9316

Pretty sure 3sec of not taking direct damage is usable in PvE. Turn a boss’s highly telegraphed 1shot into a heal.

in Warrior

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

I think its will have it own heal +bonus on receiving a hit.

in Warrior

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

yeah, from what I understand, you get a base heal + every attack heals you for 3 secs. Depending on how good it heals at lvl80 it could prove to be very useful. I can definitely see zerg warriors using it. Since it is a stance it has 0 cast time, and you can trait for it.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

in Warrior

Posted by: Dingle.2743

Dingle.2743

yeah, from what I understand, you get a base heal + every attack heals you for 3 secs. Depending on how good it heals at lvl80 it could prove to be very useful. I can definitely see zerg warriors using it. Since it is a stance it has 0 cast time, and you can trait for it.

Chatlinked in-game, it has a cast time of one second. It’s probably got a very telling animation, as well – I want to say it’s this but that character is pretty obviously wearing light or medium armor.

in Warrior

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Aside from the 1 sec casting time, anybody else getting Healing Hands flashbacks from this? XD

in Warrior

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

I agree that the main use will most likely be in WvW, but I still don’t think it will be game changing. People will try it and some will revert back to their normal heal skill and some will keep it.

Honestly, the most interesting part of the skill that I can see is people using it as another block skill when trying to run through something. With endure pain, shield stance and balanced stance we can already have 7 seconds of damage immunity. This will bring us up to 10 (11.75 if traited), and another 4-5 sec if defy pain kicks in. Doesn’t really have much practical purposes, but it is a curiosity.

The second most interesting part is that everyone else thinks the trait is going to be broken and way too strong.

in Warrior

Julie Yann.5379

Chatlinked in-game, it has a cast time of one second. It’s probably got a very telling animation, as well – I want to say it’s this but that character is pretty obviously wearing light or medium armor.

That kind of sucks, it would make it the only stance with a cast time. What I really liked about it was getting an insta-heal (even if it heals for less) that you can’t really interrupt.

(edited by Julie Yann.5379)

in Warrior

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Defiant stance need to lose the cast time and become instant.

This way, it will be a great burst heal.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Warrior

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

While it would make sense to be instant, I don’t see why you’re complaining about getting yet another invulnerability skill.

Okay, you can still be CC’d, but it’s a guaranteed period of survival. It needs an opportunity for your opponent to interrupt it for balance. Against a condition damage build, it’s effectively 6 seconds that you negate because they can’t stop their conditions from ticking on you in the stance.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Warrior

Posted by: Faranox.4217

Faranox.4217

It’s interesting, could combo with Retaliation. I’ll reserve judgement until I see how it scales with healing power, but I’ll definitely experiment with it!

Chops Mcgee, of Anvil Rock

in Warrior

Posted by: Noerknhar.3826

Noerknhar.3826

Uhm guys, you have the healing signet, noone will use this healing skill anyways, so why even bother to discuss?
“uh, i have the most unbalanced and OP skill in game, but the other skill aint that good, I think im gonna complain”.

Enuerus Derune – Necromancer, Sylvari
[NO] ~ Ponys Will Never Die

in Warrior

Julie Yann.5379

Uhm guys, you have the healing signet, noone will use this healing skill anyways, so why even bother to discuss?
“uh, i have the most unbalanced and OP skill in game, but the other skill aint that good, I think im gonna complain”.

Actually, the most unbalanced OP skill in the game is stealth. Signet isn’t that great, it’s weak against burst and weak against poison and only really effective on high toughness builds. Also, using the active =death. Healing Surge is still the better option for most of my builds with Signet coming in second. Defiant Stance sounds interesting but it also sounds very situational.

in Warrior

Posted by: Zantmar.5406

Zantmar.5406

base heal is around 1.8-2k
stance is instant
traited stance is 3.75 seconds
the skill convert all damage (condition and direct) into health
does not negate agony/falling

using endure pain and this skill at same time is bad idea

i dig this skill i dunno about the rest of ye, its warrior’s first skill that deals with both condition and damage at the same time, i can see all sorts of use for this

also, the zerkier you are the better, a very nice skill for high end dungeons such as Arah/Coe where you take damages that would instant kill you but you would be healed full for it

also watch hotw1 butcher and AC Koher spin you to full health

another counter play could be that protection would kitten this skill

using frenzy would make your heal more powerful and vuln stacks might actually help you out

Life blast should hit twice and have its damage halfed
If Rocket Charge is only 2 leaps then it should look like 2 leaps
True Shot should be cast on the move

in Warrior

Posted by: Dingle.2743

Dingle.2743

base heal is around 1.8-2k
stance is instant
traited stance is 3.75 seconds
the skill convert all damage (condition and direct) into health
does not negate agony/falling

using endure pain and this skill at same time is bad idea

i dig this skill i dunno about the rest of ye, its warrior’s first skill that deals with both condition and damage at the same time, i can see all sorts of use for this

also, the zerkier you are the better, a very nice skill for high end dungeons such as Arah/Coe where you take damages that would instant kill you but you would be healed full for it

also watch hotw1 butcher and AC Koher spin you to full health

another counter play could be that protection would kitten this skill

using frenzy would make your heal more powerful and vuln stacks might actually help you out

It’s not instant cast.

in Warrior

Zantmar.5406

cool its 1/4. close enough http://imgur.com/a/XJLiX

edit:
its either 1/4 or 3/4
this does make sure you cant get benefit of it being instant

but hay its still fun to troll lupi for dropping down all that circles

not that cast time’s stopping you for getting a nice 10k+ heal form a kill shot

(edited by Zantmar.5406)

in Warrior

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Definitely 1/4 second cast time.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Warrior

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

Each time you are struck, you earn 1853/35 = 53 hps.

In order to equal signet, you have to be struck 392/53=7.44 times. That means Stance will be better than signet if you can manage to get struck 8 times during 3 seconds. Or 3.75. Might be doable, depending on the fight.

On one hand I’m not counting the fact you don’t start healing since the beginning of a fight. On the other hand, I’m not counting the gain from mitigating damage.

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

in Warrior

Posted by: MiLkZz.4789

MiLkZz.4789

You need to get hit around 75 times in that 3s window to get close to what adrenal surge heals now. Assuming the tooltip I saw earlier is correct and each hit heals you for 125.

So I don’t think it is worth it and it is definitely not OP, and my god that cooldown.

Warrior of [VcY], guild from Seafarer’s Rest
First troll to receive 10/10
Best golem driver EU

in Warrior

redslion.9675

You need to get hit around 75 times in that 3s window to get close to what adrenal surge heals now. Assuming the tooltip I saw earlier is correct and each hit heals you for 125.

So I don’t think it is worth it and it is definitely not OP, and my god that cooldown.

Assuming this tooltip is correct

http://imgur.com/a/XJLiX

You’ll have to get hit 7 times to outheal surge. 8 to outheal signet.

in Warrior

Posted by: Molch.2078

Molch.2078

It says initial self heal. You use it and bam, 1.8k heal. And everytime you get hit by something, you are healed for the amount of damage it negated.

Therefore you can’t compare it to the signet. It depends entirely on the situation.

in Warrior

Faranox.4217

It is situational- you should use it when you’re being hit XD
Seriously though, consider this : Defiant Stance will be doing 2 things at once. It’s going to be healing you AND negating damage.

in Warrior

Posted by: killahmayne.9518

killahmayne.9518

While it may be to some people just another invulnerability in the warrior’s repetoire, its usefulness will probably be in zerg fights exclusively or if you are a full glass cannon that isn’t supposed to get hit anyway but in the case that you do you are immune to damage and conditions and can heal w/e you lost.

This heal is situational at best, you sacrifice so much sustainability from healing surge or healing signet for a skill that only has the potential to burst heal you for a large amount. 3 second invulnerable is nice but I would not sacrifice sustainability for it. And I couldn’t imagine this skill being that effective for those who wear PVT gear b/c they don’t get hit that hard even in zergs.

Mace/Greatsword Video (Sept Patch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoAjKtD6MLY

in Warrior

Posted by: JETWING.2759

JETWING.2759

Could be 5s up. 6s with sure footed.

in Warrior

Posted by: glaphen.5230

glaphen.5230

They already showed it in the preview video and its the exact same thing as Borrowed Time on Abaddon in DoTA. It has a 1/4 second cast and heals you for 1800 and then for the next 3 seconds all damage heals you for the amount of damage it did showing as green numbers to the enemies damage indicators.

in Warrior

Posted by: Coast.5162

Coast.5162

Aside from the 1 sec casting time, anybody else getting Healing Hands flashbacks from this? XD

No, Mark Of Protection

in Warrior

Posted by: Arkanis Drako.5169

Arkanis Drako.5169

Sounds like a skill that needs your enemies to be either stupid or just unobservant to work, because you are screwed if you are not hit. That conditions heal for a few seconds could be nice though. Really hard to say if it will be worth using, maybe with a lower cooldown.

By the way: Is anyone else irritated that this skill is not named DEFY PAIN?

in Warrior

Posted by: JETWING.2759

JETWING.2759

And need be instant cast, without cast time.

in Warrior

Posted by: Hugh The Great.9367

Hugh The Great.9367

Defiant Stance is a horrible skill. The enemy just defends for 3 seconds while the warrior is low on health. Then resumes attacking afterwards. Using this stance is simply a delayed warrior death for 3 seconds. It’s too unreliable to be useful.

in Warrior

Posted by: Ashes.9586

Ashes.9586

Isn’t it good to have a situational skill for zergs…? Lots of people run builds for teams/zergs and having a heal to go with the rest of it doesn’t sound so horrible to me. Plus it looks like it could be a life saver if you pop it in the middle of a zerg fight while you’re lagging and you can’t get out of the aoes etc.

The Legion Calls

in Warrior

Faranox.4217

It seems to me this will be similar to Vengeance in that once the enemy sees you pop the skill, they’ll just kite you til it’s over and continue to kill you, making your 2k heal irrelevant.
Ashes, even then it’s only 3 seconds of heal/invuln. Once that’s up, you’re at full HP again and then you get murdered. The only difference between using this stance and Endure Pain is that you’re negating condition damage as well. So I guess this stance is kind of like rolling Berserker Stance and Endure Pain into one skill with a shorter CD? Doesn’t feel like it’s bringing much to the table.

in Warrior

Posted by: Bunschii.2918

Bunschii.2918

At the stream they explained all incoming damage will be absorbed. So the heals depend on the damage you received, including conditions

in Warrior

Zantmar.5406

point of this skill shines in wvw zerging
especially with the defy pain trait
simply go into the heart of a zerg and bash them with your hammer, watch as u go down to 25% health and your auto endure pain expire
right before it expire pop defiant stance and chanced are you are back to full health assuming the zerg is dense enough
get out of the fighting before u get zerged down again

with the amount chaos of Aoes and stuff on the ground chanced are not many opponent can notice you popint defiant stance and kite you carefully while you use the heal

that is of course assuming you dont get a 90 radius giant red glow on you while its active

(edited by Zantmar.5406)

in Warrior

Posted by: Setun.4368

Setun.4368

point of this skill shines in wvw zerging
especially with the defy pain trait
simply go into the heart of a zerg and bash them with your hammer, watch as u go down to 25% health and your auto endure pain expire
right before it expire pop defiant stance and chanced are you are back to full health assuming the zerg is dense enough
get out of the fighting before u get zerged down again

with the amount chaos of Aoes and stuff on the ground chanced are not many opponent can notice you popint defiant stance and kite you carefully while you use the heal

that is of course assuming you dont get a 90 radius giant red glow on you while its active

I can’t even imagine how hilarious that will be to do….it’ll be like having the guardian block heal + invuln ultimate combo. There’s going to be tons of rage tears with this heal I’ll bet

in Warrior

killahmayne.9518

it is 35 second CD, which means in between that time you will either have to rely on shouts or your team heavily to heal you.

in Warrior

Zantmar.5406

its only 5 seconds more than healing surge, its also not Adrenalin defendant, activation time is 4times faster than healing surge and mending

you essentially have if comparing to surge:

35-3+0.25=32.25 seconds not being healed because you ahve 3 seconds where you cant be damaged

where for healing surge you have 30+1 because you have 1 second of channeling time

mending wontsave you in a zerg fight if you dont ast longer than 20 seconds

healing signlet wont save you cause u get Aoed to death before you can regen for crap

in Warrior

Posted by: Zach.3264

Zach.3264

There’s no reason to use anything but Healing Signet currently.

in Warrior

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

Each time you are struck, you earn 1853/35 = 53 hps.

In order to equal signet, you have to be struck 392/53=7.44 times. That means Stance will be better than signet if you can manage to get struck 8 times during 3 seconds. Or 3.75. Might be doable, depending on the fight.

On one hand I’m not counting the fact you don’t start healing since the beginning of a fight. On the other hand, I’m not counting the gain from mitigating damage.

Wouldn’t the damage you negated factored in? If you think about it you are also technically healing the damge you would have taken. It was the reason why skills like reversal of fortune in GW1 was so strong.
If you negated 100 damage and healed for 100 then that skill essentially did 200 points of healing.

in Warrior

redslion.9675

Well, you might use it in spvp group fights and run in front of enemies to body block and make them hit you.

But then, you’d be less useful if you fight 1v1 on a side node.

in Warrior

Posted by: Mikhail.4961

Mikhail.4961

Guys, guys, guys…. guys… Imagine this in a Lupicus fight. If it absorbs damage and heals that same amount, I’d use it simply to laugh at that undead loot-hater.

Any class is easy to play, but not as easy to master. So sod off, warrior-haters.

in Warrior

Posted by: urdriel.8496

urdriel.8496

try it in WvW zerg, and laugh at your foes……

in Warrior

Zantmar.5406

guys get this straight

for people who thought you would get get like 100 hp from being struck? no it dont work dat way

u get condition damage and physical damage CONVERTED to health during dat 3 seconds

in Warrior

Posted by: MiLkZz.4789

MiLkZz.4789

Wona try this heal out!

Warrior of [VcY], guild from Seafarer’s Rest
First troll to receive 10/10
Best golem driver EU

(edited by MiLkZz.4789)

in Warrior

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

No, Mark Of Protection

Oh God, those freaking annoying Stone Summit Dolyak Monks in GW1… >.< And if you didn’t have an Enchant strip, heaven help you when the henchies heal the boss back up to full via their attacks…

in Warrior

Posted by: yanoch.7051

yanoch.7051

Enemy see green number when you pop this. Once again warr get easy telegraphed/easy to counter stuff.

Heiann – NSP

in Warrior

Posted by: bobomb.5209

bobomb.5209

Thank you everyone who gave insightful comments concerning this potentially useful skill for the warrior. Ultimately, like every new change that is presented to the community, reserving total judgement on the skill in question is a priority. We simply do not know how this skill will function in the game, only speculate as to its usefulness in the myriad of situations warriors face in Guild Wars 2. Again thank you for your comments and we shall see how this skill pans out. Have a nice day

in Warrior

Posted by: Amiron.1067

Amiron.1067

I’m in agreement with the cast time being changed to instant. I also think a good change for this ability would be to make it scale with healing power. Basically, any damage taken heals you for 100% of that amount, but with more healing power, it could change to any damage taken heals you for 150% of that amount. Just something that would make healing power more useful for us with that ability, is all.

The cooldown seems fairly appropriate, considering your traits can affect this heal, and on top of that a good warrior will be able to tell when he’s going to be bursted (be it pve or pvp) and it could amount to a pretty ridiculous heal.

Overall, it will take some balancing, but I think ANet is on the right track with this heal.

in Warrior

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

Enemy see green number when you pop this. Once again warr get easy telegraphed/easy to counter stuff.

If its true, that skill is completely useless

in Warrior

killahmayne.9518

If its true, that skill is completely useless

in any sort of roaming or small scale fights, but in zergs it is a different story.