Defiant Stance discussion

in Warrior

Posted by: yanoch.7051

yanoch.7051

Enemy see green number when you pop this. Once again warr get easy telegraphed/easy to counter stuff.

If its true, that skill is completely useless

in any sort of roaming or small scale fights, but in zergs it is a different story.

I guess so. In the livestream PvP preview they show the skills in action. The Anet guy is dueling another warrior and he speak about how the enemy see green number. As soon as he pop the healing the other warr stop attacking.

The other warrior(seem really skilled) easily dodge all the telegraphed hammer ability… It was kinda sad to see.

Heiann – NSP

in Warrior

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

Enemy see green number when you pop this. Once again warr get easy telegraphed/easy to counter stuff.

If its true, that skill is completely useless

in any sort of roaming or small scale fights, but in zergs it is a different story.

I guess so. In the livestream PvP preview they show the skills in action. The Anet guy is dueling another warrior and he speak about how the enemy see green number. As soon as he pop the healing the other warr stop attacking.

The other warrior(seem really skilled) easily dodge all the telegraphed hammer ability… It was kinda sad to see.

Wait….the hammer’s moves can be dodged? Witchcraft I say! I thought just looking at it put you into a perma-stun lock from which there is no escape.

But that is unfortunate about the enemy seeing green numbers. If they had to look for the icon, that would be fine, but the only way that skill will work in a small group now is to stand in an already placed AoE or hope the enemy is using a channeling skill and out of dodges to break it.

Did they happen to comment how the healing skill interacts with other invulnerable/block skills?

Shield stance, defy pain, endure pain, aegis, etc.

If those skills override the healing effect I think this will easily be our worst heal (outside of big WvW zergs, and even then it may not be reliable enough to count on).

in Warrior

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

They did say that damage-cancellation abilities of other sources also negate the reduced healing.

On the other hand, this stance is perfect to run with Frenzy.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Warrior

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

I’m wondering if this will negate damage from legendary defenders in WvW, They don’t just outright kill you, they just deal really, really high damage that 1 shots you. I’m wondering if I could pop this and run right into an enemy spawn. I know you already can with other things, but this will just give me one more thing to troll my opponents with. Pop this stance, run into their spawn, dance a bit, pop endure pain, rush out, swap to s/shield, run out and laugh at them.

in Warrior

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

I’m wondering if this will negate damage from legendary defenders in WvW, They don’t just outright kill you, they just deal really, really high damage that 1 shots you. I’m wondering if I could pop this and run right into an enemy spawn. I know you already can with other things, but this will just give me one more thing to troll my opponents with. Pop this stance, run into their spawn, dance a bit, pop endure pain, rush out, swap to s/shield, run out and laugh at them.

Endure pain and shield stance working so that one will be working as well.. Too bad it keep teleport us back when we get too close :<

in Warrior

Posted by: killahmayne.9518

killahmayne.9518

still though healing signet is probably more ideal in most situations

Mace/Greatsword Video (Sept Patch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoAjKtD6MLY

in Warrior

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

Was using the giant in Naegling for tests..seems to heal for 75% of the damage that would’ve been dealt

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

in Warrior

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

This or another way.. that skill is a joke.

in Warrior

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

Conditions heal you as well

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

in Warrior

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

Defiant Stance is a horrible skill. The enemy just defends for 3 seconds while the warrior is low on health. Then resumes attacking afterwards. Using this stance is simply a delayed warrior death for 3 seconds. It’s too unreliable to be useful.

And then you realize it’s a full HP heal with 3 additional seconds of endure pain in PvE.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

in Warrior

Posted by: bobomb.5209

bobomb.5209

Defiant Stance is a horrible skill. The enemy just defends for 3 seconds while the warrior is low on health. Then resumes attacking afterwards. Using this stance is simply a delayed warrior death for 3 seconds. It’s too unreliable to be useful.

And then you realize it’s a full HP heal with 3 additional seconds of endure pain in PvE.

This post focuses on the skills viability on not only one section of the game. But ALL sections of the game. As I have read more information on the skill I have determined that It may be on par with some of the other skills If used properly. This skill still shines in WvW and PvE rather than it will in PvP. But timing is a measure of skill in this game, and this skill certianly requires timing. Therefore +1 for Defiant Stance.

in Warrior

Nikkinella.8254

I actually love it. I dove into a group of people and got a full heal. The best part is they were stupid enough to all attack me again when I activated it a 2nd time. Killed all 5 of them. I for one love the new heal.

in Warrior

Posted by: NICKEZ.3671

NICKEZ.3671

Defiance stance is broken from a wvw/gvg standpoint.

[CERN] & [ZzZz] Xig
Asura Guard, Human Ele
TC

in Warrior

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

Defiance stance is broken from a wvw/gvg standpoint.

yeah, It’s kind of OP in Large scale figths. Not so much in the smaller ones.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

in Warrior

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

I am relaying on my enemy to attack me, so I can heal..so in other words, my self heal is reliant upon others for me to get the most out of it. It certainly does live up to the name, “Self heal.”

in Warrior

Posted by: Eiland.1405

Eiland.1405

Some math:
for this heal to reach the healing signet 400 hps it needs to heal for 400*(35+3) = 15, 200 hp (the +3 is activation time). so the base heal is ~2000 —> need 13K more…
If u absorb dmg equal to 13,000/2 = 6,500 its even.
I divide by 2 coz if u heal for 13,000hp and hit for 6,500 dmg u end up with plus 6,500hp.
thoughts?

Dry Leaves

in Warrior

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

Some math:
for this heal to reach the healing signet 400 hps it needs to heal for 400*(35+3) = 15, 200 hp (the +3 is activation time). so the base heal is ~2000 —> need 13K more…
I divide by 2 coz if u heal for 13,000hp and hit for 6,500 dmg u end up with plus 6,500hp.
thoughts?

Well, the cooldown starts as soon as the skill is activated, rather than after it ends, so that’s one flaw in your numbers.

Also, while not that significant, Healing Signet starts at 392 hp/s, not 400.

in Warrior

Posted by: Eiland.1405

Eiland.1405

Some math:
thoughts?

Well, the cooldown starts as soon as the skill is activated, rather than after it ends, so that’s one flaw in your numbers.

oh , so that make it even better
If u want harder numbers then it’s:
(392*35 – 1,853) / 2 = 5,933 = the amount of dmg needed to absorbed.

Does any1 know if this heal is effected by poison?
poison counters HS pretty hard so against thief/ranger Defiant stance really starts to sound appealing

Dry Leaves

in Warrior

Olba.5376

Some math:
thoughts?

oh , so that make it even better
If u want harder numbers then it’s:
(392*35 – 1,853) / 2 = 5,933 = the amount of dmg needed to absorbed.

Does any1 know if this heal is effected by poison?
poison counters HS pretty hard so against thief/ranger Defiant stance really starts to sound appealing

While I cannot say for sure, I would put my money on Poison affecting only the initial heal, since that is also the only part affected by Healing Power.

And you have to remember that unlike Healing Signet, Defiant Stance has pretty good support from traits, with Sure-Footed adding 0.75s to the duration and Vigorous Focus giving you 6 seconds of Vigor for it.

Also worth noting that it would take Healing Signet 16 seconds to heal the 5,933 damage taken.

(edited by Olba.5376)

in Warrior

Posted by: DragonMind.2983

DragonMind.2983

Since adrenaline accumulated in a non-full adrenaline bar
is wasted when you use a burst skill, I would very much
like to see a heal skill that gives X health (maybe 3-5) for each
adrenaline point spent, when using a burst skill.

in Warrior

Olba.5376

While not an OP idea in itself, I would rather not add any mechanics tied to burst skills unless we really need it. Rather have a small but effective set of bonuses than a ton of kinda-useful features.

Like right now, Cleansing Ire is massively hindered by Blind.

in Warrior

Posted by: DragonMind.2983

DragonMind.2983

While not an OP idea in itself, I would rather not add any mechanics tied to burst skills unless we really need it. Rather have a small but effective set of bonuses than a ton of kinda-useful features.

Like right now, Cleansing Ire is massively hindered by Blind.

I kinda feel it are since as I stated:
Adrenaline accumulated in a non-full adrenaline bar is wasted
when you use a burst skill.

This could really be one way to use up that otherwise un-used adrenaline,
OR just leave adrenaline in a non full bar alone. I wound even trait for this option.

in Warrior

Posted by: McDili.1549

McDili.1549

In WvW, this skill is pretty awesome, running with some PvT gear and having 29k Max HP, I dove into a zerg. I got bursted down to ~2-3k HP and then used Defiant Stance, and was swiftly restored to Full HP.

This ability is great for high damage skills that the user “Fires and Forgets” like Meteor shower. Because then you can just stand in it and heal while it hits it and the user can’t stop hitting you.

This ability is also horrible in 1v1 scenarios. It has some utility, whether an enemy realizes you use the heal or not, if they use a big CD and you use your heal, even if the enemy notices and pulls away, that’s still a big CD negated.

Also it could be useful in unison with Frenzy. Either they hit and heal you for even more since you take 25% more damage from Frenzy, or they are subject to your frenzy burst. The only way you lose out on this situation is if you don’t hit your opponent.

Even still, it’s pretty lame that the enemy see’s green numbers. The idea in PvP is that the animations are supposed to telegraph the attacks, that makes it far more meaningful to have the skill to recognize an animation and counter it. But seeing green numbers, that’s just, too easy. Low skill cap = Not good.

in Warrior

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

After doing some testing in WvW I can say that if you couple a few other huge defense abilities to rotate like Shield Stance and Endure Pain (or Berserker Stance for those condition builds), my success has been fairly entertaining.

For starters, there is nothing more satisfying than seeing the ‘less-informed’ as it were continue to attack while you have it up. Interestingly enough I find the best times to use Defiant Stance are definitely from internal knowledge of the enemy’s profession and build. Openers from strong burst classes are pretty much obsolete if you pull it off, and this heal skill is definitely a harder heal TO pull off.

It is also funny to see how Defiant Stance reacts to conditions, though I am having problems testing if the healing version of poison prevents itself and other conditions from healing me. It’s an awkward sort of thing to think about.

Overall, I feel you need to run a very specific build, runes and utilities to pull it off. But I do see a bit of potential.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

in Warrior

Posted by: Billaboong.6821

Billaboong.6821

This isn’t a PvE skill at all, try it on a 30 man zerg on WvW and you will refull your life everytime you use it, finally something good for WvW and not so good for PvE

in Warrior

Posted by: kyubi.3620

kyubi.3620

Aside from the 1 sec casting time, anybody else getting Healing Hands flashbacks from this? XD

im totaly getting the wamo flashback here wish it could be shared to others to and lasted a good 10 second ahahahaha

Crystal Desert, The Darknest Community P.E.T.A.
BM: I want to present you my lovely jingle bear mia
If pet had voices: Mommy, I did it! :3

in Warrior

Posted by: Sovereign.1093

Sovereign.1093

I took this skill because i have the skill points but you wont’ find me using it since all other healing skills we have right now are way better. ;3 You can always use it though for lols.

[Salt] Heavy Loot Bag

Always Loyal

in Warrior

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

Well with the devs’ love for cheap telegraphed one-shotters as the only mechanic in dungeons encounters, I can foresee myself having a lot of fun with this.

Counterblow → Defiant Stance → Counterblow → Shield Stance → Counterblow → Endure Pain → Dodge → Dodge.

Rinse and repeat. =D

in Warrior

Posted by: Kagamiku.9731

Kagamiku.9731

It works good in fractals for me. Because of the easily telegraphed attacks of the mobs that hit really hard…You just activate it and get healed to full health in a split second. It also allows you to tank an attack or two. I love activating it and then jumping into one of the red circles. Like the ice elemental boss in the dredge fractal.

(edited by Kagamiku.9731)

in Warrior

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Should be pretty easy to test if poison reduces the healing or not. Get a necro or thief buddy and go into PvP. Have him get you poisoned with Shortbow #4 or Corrosive Poison Cloud (alternatively, ask them what their condition damage stat is, divide it by 10, and add 80) and see what it ticks for. Then, let him hit you a few times so that the base heal doesn’t heal you up to full. Get poisoned and compare numbers.

I’m a Geeleiver

in Warrior

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

It works good in fractals for me. Because of the easily telegraphed attacks of the mobs that hit really hard…You just activate it and get healed to full health in a split second. It also allows you to tank an attack or two. I love activating it and then jumping into one of the red circles. Like the ice elemental boss in the dredge fractal.

I was just thinking about that actually. I haven’t had the time to run any fractals since patch:

does Defiant Stance counter agony? I’ve never tried using endure pain on it (which should act similarly), so I was just curious.

in Warrior

Posted by: Khalic.3561

Khalic.3561

So… How’s the animation and sound for other races? Because for my female charr it’s a belch, and it’s kind of annoying.

Khyla Shadowsong ~ Charr Ele, Engi, Mes, Ranger, Guard, Thief, War, Necro
Northern Shiverpeaks ~ [dO] Drop Otter

in Warrior

Posted by: Bee.6239

Bee.6239

I feel like quite a few of the posts in this thread are regarding how useful this skill can be in zerg fighting. I honestly do not find it more useful than surge or signet. People are saying this can be quite useful by running in the middle of the zerg to get a full heal, which is true but if you’re with your guild and take that much damage pain training through a zerg, then who will be left alive? Just the warriors because they absorbed the damage? It just seems like an excuse to encourage bad play style.

For dueling, it’s really obvious and bad. Not sure how it will be used in pvp teams, maybe a trollish 3 stance build for a bunker point is the best option I see, but then again I don’t pvp too much.

in Warrior

Kagamiku.9731

I was just thinking about that actually. I haven’t had the time to run any fractals since patch:

does Defiant Stance counter agony? I’ve never tried using endure pain on it (which should act similarly), so I was just curious.

It doesn’t stop agony from ticking, but unlike other heals, agony does not reduce the healing given by Defiant Stance. It reduces the initial heal that barely heals you for anything anyways, but if you have agony on and something hits you hard, you’ll still be healed by exactly the damage taken.

in Warrior

Posted by: SplendidDust of AncientSuns.8453

SplendidDust of AncientSuns.8453

It’s true that it’s situational in solo play. You’re enemy has to be oblivious to the effect. In zerg trains however, I don’t believe it encourages bad-play. It serves it’s purpose.

If you stack tightly, YOU take that damage with your fellow warriors and negate some of that damage on your softer allies around you. When it comes down to it, this allows you to play much more offensively.

(edited by SplendidDust of AncientSuns.8453)

in Warrior

Posted by: Titanimite.2534

Titanimite.2534

I can see the heal working well in certain PvP or WvW situations but in general its just worse than what we have currently bottom line.

in Warrior

Nikkinella.8254

From what i’ve tested of it so far, It’s horrible in 1 vs 1 fights unless your opponent is a total noob and keeps attacking you after you use it. In large scale fights however, I absolutely love it. Its so OP against large groups. Rush into a group when low on health after popping this for a guaranteed full heal. It’s actually kind of balanced when you think about it that way. Horrible for small fights, powerful in large fights. It’s situational, but not totally useless like most of the other new heals on other classes. It won’t replace signet for most situations though, but it’s nice to have.

in Warrior

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

From what i’ve tested of it so far, It’s horrible in 1 vs 1 fights unless your opponent is a total noob and keeps attacking you after you use it. In large scale fights however, I absolutely love it. Its so OP against large groups. Rush into a group when low on health after popping this for a guaranteed full heal. It’s actually kind of balanced when you think about it that way. Horrible for small fights, powerful in large fights. It’s situational, but not totally useless like most of the other new heals on other classes. It won’t replace signet for most situations though, but it’s nice to have.

Yeah, I’ve been getting into the habit of swapping to it before the zergs clash then swapping back to signet or surge when it is over.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

in Warrior

Posted by: CrazyAce.3842

CrazyAce.3842

(But cmon, how many warriors REALLY use rifle?).

I use the Rifle.

It’s actually my favorite weapon for the warrior aside from the Greatsword and Hammer.

Personally, I’ve never had a problem with the burst skill because I use it after using “Fear Me!” and “On My Mark!”, whilst I plant myself while they’re getting feared. Works fine unless they use a stun breaker and then immediately dodge roll (or they have Aegis/Distortion). When it hits it does massive damage. And it’s certainly better than the GS’s burst skill, that’s for sure.

in Warrior

Posted by: JETWING.2759

JETWING.2759

Good skill, but for now is not so attractive as Healing Signet. For now needs few adjustments, for ex:
- Break Stun.
- instant cast, like others stances.
- improve up time, increasing time activation from 3s to 4s (5s with sure footed).

in Warrior

Posted by: Faranox.4217

Faranox.4217

I see a lot of people suggesting this be instant cast. Are you seriously getting interrupted while casting this? I haven’t been.

Chops Mcgee, of Anvil Rock

in Warrior

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

I see a lot of people suggesting this be instant cast. Are you seriously getting interrupted while casting this? I haven’t been.

I think they just don’t want to pause their attacking to heal just like everyone else. A quarter-second cast is almost impossible to interrupt anyway.

I’m a Geeleiver

in Warrior

Posted by: Axiom.6490

Axiom.6490

It´s not about getting interrupted, but about able to use your heal while stunned or disabled. This would result in an interessting counterplay.

But an increased uptime would be way to much. 3 seconds are fine

in Warrior

Posted by: Faranox.4217

Faranox.4217

So this has been around for a while now. How does everyone feel about it?
I was using it in some zerg v zerg fights today and combined with Endure Pain it gave me a lot of courage to push into the enemy and not die, it was really fun to use.

Chops Mcgee, of Anvil Rock

in Warrior

Posted by: Setun.4368

Setun.4368

I like it. I use the double endure pain setup when I use it, and with popping balanced stance before using the heal (just in case, never know what might happen in a big fight) I can swing away for what feels like an eternity before I have to actually watch my health lol. It’s a ton of fun in big fights. Small fights not so much as your enemies will actually wait for the timer to run out on the heal.

in Warrior

Kagamiku.9731

It’s nice in a few fractal levels as well as WvW. Bad everywhere else.

in Warrior

Posted by: vanensang.1389

vanensang.1389

It feels like an awesome battery skill in WvW zergfights. Since I mostly roam alone I don’t use it at all. During a 1vs1 enemies could easily realize that that battery skill is up right now. So he could easily stop to attack me and leave me with 10% of my hitpoints.

Last time I’ve seen it in action was when one warrior rushed into 5 or 6 other ones, most of them were thieves and I think one mesmer. So the enemies had a huge damage output. So he jumped in, killed one and jumped out of fight using that skill.
It kinda looks really funny when a warrior charges up like a battery when using Defiant Stance.

Kodash [DE]
Avallora Erasleigh // e
Tara Airgetlám // m

in Warrior

Posted by: Young Somalia.1706

Young Somalia.1706

I like it in certain situations in PvE where it can be utilised as a DPS boost. I like the idea of a heal that increases DPS.

By waiting for a boss’ long-channel, OH abilities and using it during their telegraph, it’s sort of a “set it, and forget it” where you won’t have to worry about interrupting your 100B channel or the negative DPS of dodging. Fights such as Alpha can be entirely facetanked if you wish to blow your free utility on Endure Pain (I play how I want!) by alternating evades via: WW (whether GS or FGS) → Defiant → WW → Endure → WW.

In other instances where the threat is small but steady pressure rather than burst, such as Spider Queen, still benefit more from Healing Signet.

It’s a fun skill that relies on knowing whether or not a particular foe is burst or pressure, but quite versatile where it can be utilised.

Guard: Driveby Brofist; Warrior: Giganticus Elitist
[LOD]

in Warrior

Posted by: Jzaku.9765

Jzaku.9765

It’s great in WvW, kinda bad in PvP, and situationally amazing in PvE.

Like really when I do fractals I just jump into a red circle and heal straight back to full HP, it’s such an amazing feeling.