Does a warrior need precision?

in Warrior

Posted by: Dawnbreaker.6215

Dawnbreaker.6215

Warriors have a ton of precision buffs, so I was wondering if we even need all that much precision in our gear?

I’ve been playing around with builds and I can reach around 40% crticical chance with valkyrie gear (power / vitality / ferocity) and exuberance runes (they give 100 vitality and convert 12% of your total vitality to power and 7% or so to precision), as well as a higher power stat and the same amount of ferocity.

With some assassin’s trinkets or food thrown in there, plus all the fury buffs you can get as a warrior, it should be fairly easy to reach close to 100% precision and end up with easily 10k more HP or so… all while still having the same benefits as zerk gear.

Valkyries can be replaced with Marauder’s as well, but I haven’t tested that out yet.

So at this point I’m not sure what gear to get. This gear seems like a logical choice but I’m a bit unsure about it just because everyone else seems to run zerk.

Thoughts?

in Warrior

Posted by: Cygnus.6903

Cygnus.6903

You won’t get the same benefits as zerk gear, it’s obviously the best set when direct damage is your main objective.

And in PvE, that should be the case, unless you run condi (which is also meta these days).

In WvW/PvP, things may or may not be different.

So the question is, what do you want to do?

I only state my opinion unless stated otherwise.
Hulk Roaming Montages/Build Vids
I always rage but never quit.

in Warrior

Posted by: Dawnbreaker.6215

Dawnbreaker.6215

You won’t get the same benefits as zerk gear, it’s obviously the best set when direct damage is your main objective.

And in PvE, that should be the case, unless you run condi (which is also meta these days).

Care to elaborate? Because if both sets give the same ferocity, valkyrie gives more power and if you can hit the 100% or close to precision then I’d have doubts about zerk being an “obvious best”, do xou have some calculation to show?

in Warrior

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

Care to elaborate? Because if both sets give the same ferocity, valkyrie gives more power and if you can hit the 100% or close to precision then I’d have doubts about zerk being an “obvious best”, do xou have some calculation to show?

probably because you can use better runes and food which would give overall higher DPS in zerk. You are using Valk and then particular runes and food to buff your precision. Using Zerk with scholar runes and might stacking food for example should give higher DPS. (this is me talking intuitively. I haven’t done a direct comparison of your build)

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in Warrior

Posted by: Hoaxintelligence.4628

Hoaxintelligence.4628

50+% crit chance is more then enough That is like 70% crit chance uptime with GS cause of Fury boon.
There is realy no need to take a precision overdose.

Sît[MII]Ultimate Dominator
U N D E R W O R L D
W v W-r o a m e r

in Warrior

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

The problem is more that you lose a lot of damage not from the gear but from the traits/skills that you have to take to reach a good amount of precision because you lost it from your gear. In practice, 10k health amount to nothing in survivability versus a higher dps. The number of time you have to hit your foe to get rid of it is more important than your health pool. Well, this is one of the paradox of gw2 where defensive stat are more than often overshadowed by offensive stats.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

in Warrior

Posted by: NumenorLord.6539

NumenorLord.6539

Of course!
Message Body length must at least be 15.

in Warrior

Posted by: Cygnus.6903

Cygnus.6903

You need to realize what you are giving up to reach 100% precision. I am assuming that you are in fact talking about Pve, because out of PvE, getting 100% crit chance is not relevant.

The precision food, the weak runes, everything you are giving up to get the 100% could be spent elsewhere to get more DPS. If you go from Valk to Marauder you lose power, too. Power is a more effective DPS booster then precision or crit damage until you get to very high levels. You can equate a 10% power increase to a 10% flat DPS increase (so a warrior with 2750 power does 10% more damage every hit then the warrior with only 2500).
Another thing, Valkyrie does not give more power, unless you are talking about the negligible increase from your rune choice. This is easily outmatched by a proper rune like Strength or Scholar.

Also, you say you can get to 40% easy, so it shouldn’t be so hard to reach 100%. Where is that 60% coming from? Fury is only 20%, the best food+utility gives you ~10%, so you’re still sitting at 70% only. Some buffs from party members, and you won’t go above 75% IMO. If you’re talking about using Arms, then you should get into condi warrior.

Also, I’ve put this into the build calc on the Phalanx warrior, which uses the Strength line (I think), and got to only 30% crit chance while using all Berserk trinkets. Care to elaborate on this?

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQFARgMdsUEUGDwDEAJBxP88vA-TRBXwAAU+9QJY+9HGpD4n6PAA-e

Again, it would be easier if you would tell us if you are indeed wondering about PvE, or WvW. Maybe show the build you were tinkering with in a calculator?

I only state my opinion unless stated otherwise.
Hulk Roaming Montages/Build Vids
I always rage but never quit.

in Warrior

Posted by: Sovereign.1093

Sovereign.1093

Yes. Precision adds more chances for your power to have crits and that damage increased by ferocity. Maybe having the minimum amount of prec will allow you to proc a high crit based on power and ferocity + foods and stuff.

[Salt] Heavy Loot Bag

Always Loyal