Has anyone else tried this? (PvP build)

in Warrior

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

So I was playing around today, and stumbled across this. Most players just go full Zerker 100 blades, which gives you zero survivability. Well I found a way to keep most of the dps and add more survivability.

It was actually quite simple.

Standard traits;

20/30/0/0/20
x6 Runes of Lyssa
Valkyrie w/Zerker jewel
Greatsword w/Sigil of Accuracy
Sword/Shield w/Rage and Accuracy

I know what you’re probably saying. You’re crit chance is only 30%! Easy to fix, accuracy puts it up to 35%. Then with Heightened Focus lvl 3 gives you 44%, and finally with Fury you can get it to 64%. Which is respectable.

For skills I use:
Mending
Shake it Off
Frenzy
Bull’s Charge
Signet of Rage

What is nice about this is synergy with Lyssa. You now have three different condition removers. Using Mending now will remove two and gives you a nice random boon. Rage is what’s awesome. Remove all conditions and gives you all boons for five seconds, all on a 60 CD.

Been having a lot of fun with this build a lot better then the pure Zerker imo. Just wondering what you guys think.

Attachments:

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

(edited by Harbinger.8637)

in Warrior

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

I personally do very fine with full zerker, don’t need armor rating as I use CDs/dodges/evade/block to avoid damage.
I would just kitten myself on such a build; I tried it but all I get is a slight difference in lasting power and a major difference in damage.

To each his own tho.
If you do better on that setup all power to you.

in Warrior

Posted by: TheWalkingDead.7298

TheWalkingDead.7298

I just like seeing big numbers over peoples heads, i’ll pass.

Edit: If I wanted to be more survivable/condition removal I would play a different class

in Warrior

Posted by: Alvik.4207

Alvik.4207

Overall I like your build. It comes about as close to being max efficiency in battling other warriors or physical dps classes without too many conditions.

But change the sigil to force. Accuracy raises your dps by 2.94%, while Force is 5% (70% more than Accuracy).

in Warrior

Posted by: Larynx.2453

Larynx.2453

I would personally make a few changes, like Healing Surge over Mending and Balanced Stance over shake it off, but it’s at least a bit more promising than 90% of the other “innovative” builds.

I don’t think you’d do enough total damage to make it necessarily worth it over the typical zerker build though. Do some DPS tests with steady weapons and see the percentage difference. If you have to give up something like 30% or more damage, it’s not worth it.

in Warrior

Larynx.2453

Overall I like your build. It comes about as close to being max efficiency in battling other warriors or physical dps classes without too many conditions.

But change the sigil to force. Accuracy raises your dps by 2.94%, while Force is 5% (70% more than Accuracy).

And this. 5% damage > 5% critical chance unless you have 51%> crit damage.

in Warrior

Alvik.4207

Whether sigil of Force or Accuracy is best depends on both your crit chance and crit damage actually, but cases of the latter are really rare if in any serious build at all.

in Warrior

Larynx.2453

I went ahead and did the numbers for you.

Average hit with Valkyrie build: 115.00
Average hit with Berserker build: 141.12

So a difference of roughly 22.7% damage.

Seems a bit low from what I expected to be perfectly honest. Basically, 284 healing power and 569 toughness, or 284 vitality and 23% damage. Keep in mind the healing power is negligible for warriors.

The question then is, how much is 569 toughness worth exactly? What’s the difference between 2127 armor and 2696 armor?

EDIT:

If I’m doing this right: 2127 armor = 1.034 and 2696 armor = 0.81, so the difference is about 22% damage reduction.

So:

22% damage reduction
10 more HPS w/ the healing power (absolutely irrelevant)

vs

23% damage
2690 health

I don’t think it’s worth it.

(edited by Larynx.2453)

in Warrior

Alvik.4207

Well, I didn’t even realize this build had healing power, those are definitely unwanted stats xD

Anyway 2696 armor reduces physical damage 26,75%~ better than 2127 (2696/2127, because of how armor works in the damage formula)

(edited by Alvik.4207)

in Warrior

Posted by: Defektive.7283

Defektive.7283

Toughness isn’t noticeable until you hit 1800.

tPvP Warrior
http://www.twitch.tv/defektive
Team Blacklisted [Envy]

in Warrior

Larynx.2453

It’s Power/Defense, not Defense/Power.

in Warrior

Alvik.4207

@Larynx: Yes it is. ?
@Defektive: Extra toughness should be more noticeable the lower your armor is, just like power?

Wat u guyz mean

in Warrior

Defektive.7283

@Larynx: Yes it is. ?
@Defektive: Extra toughness should be more noticeable the lower your armor is, just like power?

Wat u guyz mean

I meant the percentage at which enemy damage is reduced won’t be noticeable by a user until around 1800.

tPvP Warrior
Team Blacklisted [Envy]

in Warrior

Alvik.4207

Sorry, that doesn’t really make sense

in Warrior

Defektive.7283

Sorry, that doesn’t really make sense

All you need to understand is that 1800 is the sweet spot. if you’re decently below that (less than 1600 lets say), in-combat, you won’t notice a change in damage from enemies.

Not to mention the way this build is geared, you have such low HP you’re basically like an ele without the ability to get protection or regen.

tPvP Warrior
Team Blacklisted [Envy]

in Warrior

Alvik.4207

No. Show me with maths that what you’re saying actually means something.

in Warrior

Defektive.7283

The math will support a direct reduction in damage.

I’m saying from an end user point of view, that’s you and me – we won’t feel like the change in damage mitigation is worth while until 1800 toughness.

We start at 990ish toughness (so lets round it out to 1000).

At 1800 toughness lets say it’s a damage reduction of 45%.

If a thief crits us without additional toughness for 10k (happens all the time),

then at 1800 toughness they’ll crit for 5.5k

At 1500 toughness they’ll crit around 7k.

The difference between 7k and 10k is minimal when fighting a player since the damage output will generally FEEL the same due to scaling with your HP.

Example. If you have 14k HP.

If the enemy hit you for 5.5k, you can survive 3 hits. 1800 toughness

If the enemy hit you for 7k you can survive 2 hits. 1500 toughness

If the enemy hit you for 10k you can survive 2 hits. 1000 toughness

Until you hit that 1800 barrier, as a player, you’re still dying in the same amount of time.

tPvP Warrior
Team Blacklisted [Envy]

(edited by Defektive.7283)

in Warrior

Posted by: Rake.7854

Rake.7854

Still learning something new every day. In regards to OP, I use the same trait points setup for PvE and WvW with a few tweaks. I use full zerkers and don’t have many problems with survivability. Lyssa runes, great sword main, and sword/horn offhand.

Most important part of my build is the sigil on my great sword, restore endurance on kill, added onto reckless dodge and whirlwind (with mobile strikes). Offhand allows for more mobility, dodges and another immobilze breaker.

Important note: for the first trait in discipline I use 20% signet cool down. Using healing signet and elite combines very well with the runes (16s and 48s on boons).

Utilities are balanced stance, bulls rush (also works with mobile strikes). The third is optional.

(edited by Rake.7854)

in Warrior

Alvik.4207

The math will support a direct reduction in damage.

I’m saying from an end user point of view, that’s you and me – we won’t feel like the change in damage mitigation is worth while until 1800 toughness.

dunno about you but I get a feel for how much mitigation by the actual damage that is mitigated

We start at 990ish toughness (so lets round it out to 1000).

Please count in armor

At 1800 toughness lets say it’s a damage reduction of 45%.

Let’s not just assume numbers from nowhere

Example. If you have 14k HP.

If the enemy hit you for 5.5k, you can survive 3 hits. 1800 toughness

If the enemy hit you for 7k you can survive 2 hits. 1500 toughness

If the enemy hit you for 10k you can survive 2 hits. 1000 toughness

And at 11k health you’ll die from 2 hits at 1800 toughness (with your imaginary numbers)

Please don’t try to fool people by making up random numbers to suit your claim. The very best thing you could possibly argue here is that against this specific thief, with this specific health pool, a certain armor is optimal to survive his burst.

My very first statements about how extra toughness is more efficient the less armor you have is actually relevant, since armor in the damage formula reduces damage in a linear fashion and independant of enemy power.

in Warrior

Defektive.7283

The example used round numbers in order to stress a point. You’re getting really worked up over this.

Without protection, there’s no reason to settle for a medium amount of additional toughness. You just won’t see the results you’re looking for.

tPvP Warrior
Team Blacklisted [Envy]

in Warrior

Posted by: peter.9024

peter.9024

Hmm that got me thinking, how about this build:
http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/warrior/?8.0|1.1g.h1|0.0.0.0.0.0|1n.71g.1n.71g.1n.71h.1n.71h.1n.a7.1n.a7|2v.0.2v.0.3v.0.2v.0.3v.0.2v.0|k59.u3ab.0.0.k5a|3a.8|0.0.0.0.0|e

4.7k effective power and 1800 toughness. (power could be higher, but i really like my boonduration runes)

Skullclamp

in Warrior

Alvik.4207

Well, the claim you made sounded like you needed a certain level of toughness for it to be effective to get at all. While the truth is that toughness is more effective in the first points you put in while the “sweet spot” is actually a point where you don’t really want more armor because it’ll be more effective to get precision or vit. A point where more armor ruins your build balance.
I’m sorry, just tired of people making unwarranted claims on this forum. So many people do it that I’m just tired. Probably won’t read/post here anymore.

in Warrior

Larynx.2453

Defektive is saying that a balanced isn’t worth the weight you’re making your team carry. Either go heavy toughness, where it’s noticeable and provides something substantial, or go full roamer/glass, where the damage is substantial. At least I think.

This build is a bit more offensive than anything, but the logic is that why do something half way when you don’t have to? This warrior build will still have the same faults as the typical build. It will still be squishy, require hand holding from a team, and be terrible 1v1. The difference is that this one will do less burst.

This is in actual gameplay effects. The warrior will be tankier, but it will still have those faults and require additional help from their team regardless, which is why warriors are so weak in the first place. Thus it’s not an optimal solution.

in Warrior

Larynx.2453

Hmm that got me thinking, how about this build:
http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/warrior/?8.0|1.1g.h1|0.0.0.0.0.0|1n.71g.1n.71g.1n.71h.1n.71h.1n.a7.1n.a7|2v.0.2v.0.3v.0.2v.0.3v.0.2v.0|k59.u3ab.0.0.k5a|3a.8|0.0.0.0.0|e

4.7k effective power and 1800 toughness. (power could be higher, but i really like my boonduration runes)

This is a PvP build. Hence the “PvP build” in the title…

Ridiculously inflated stats like that don’t exist in sPvP.