Head butt is so unreliable

in Warrior

Posted by: vove.2768

vove.2768

This skill is so annoying, often when used and enemy at the same time uses some evasive skill like teleport or one of your teammates knockbacks him, the head butt locks in animation and chases targeted character for the casting duration as far as it can, doesn’t matter where the enemy landed. Being honest on many occasions I’ve put myself in very tricky situations because of that skill. Not to mention you lose cd and eternal champion doesn’t trigger.

I think it would be much better if it locked a hitbox where the target stands, and if the target gets knockbacked/ported/etc., the skill cancels instead of sending you flying around the area with no effect whatsoever.

As for an elite skill I see it a little bit flawed because of that and it also limits its usefulness.

in Warrior

Posted by: emkelly.2371

emkelly.2371

troll post is troll

in Warrior

vove.2768

troll post is troll

Please do explain.

If you want to check it do the following:
Play with [class with pushback]. Enemy gets close to [class with pushback]. Head butt the enemy, [class with pushback] uses pushback. Suddenly instead of headbutting the guy who stood next to you, you are locked in animation and sent flying onward for the cast duration in the direction where your enemy landed.

On the other hand nevermind, you don’t even play this season so your input doesn’t count.

in Warrior

Posted by: revox.8273

revox.8273

you should mention at first that all about PVP, in pve its perfect

in Warrior

emkelly.2371

Just curious, you know that head but does not make you immune to pushback, it breaks an existing stun. So if you use headhunter and the enemy uses a knock back, one of them is going to hit first. This sounds about right, and about the way it’s supposed to work. Maybe I’m misunderstanding your problem. It sounds like you are being knocked back in the middle of your head but animation. If this is the case it sounds like it is working as intended.

in Warrior

emkelly.2371

Just curious, you know that head but does not make you immune to pushback, it breaks an existing stun. So if you use head but and the enemy uses a knock back, one of them is going to hit first. This sounds about right, and about the way it’s supposed to work. Maybe I’m misunderstanding your problem. It sounds like you are being knocked back in the middle of your head but animation. If this is the case it sounds like it is working as intended. Also people must have gotten really good at timing knock backs to do that to you often enough for it to be a problem. Head but goes off so quick it’s hard to imagine that happening…also, I tested it on my alt account…I did not recreate it but that’s likely because the timing involved in such a test is pretty difficult. I’ll give it a try again when I get home.

in Warrior

vove.2768

No, you misunderstand.

1. Imagine you defend a point together with, I don’t know, a ranger for example, let’s call him Ralph.
2. You see an enemy, let’s say John, charging your way at that ranger who stands there with you.
3. You are like “omfg, Ralph is going to die” so you cast headbutt.
4. Ralph thinks to himself “omfg, I am going to die” and casts point blank shot, which is a pushback skill.
5. Now John is send flying back thinking to himself “those pesky rangers”.
6. Your head butt on the other hand never lands, you don’t get stun, you get no buffs from traits, nothing, you only get cd.

What happens though, when you start head butt animation and the enemy is pushed back your character is still trying to reach that enemy, so in this case as John flies away back, your character follows him trying to land a hit with his head.

I hope now you can understand because I am afraid I cannot be anymore clear about it.

I think the problem is with range of the head butt skill. Even though your enemy is launched far away from its range, the skill is not interrupted and animation is still trying to follow. I guess it should get interrupted when enemy suddenly gets out of range, I don’t know, whatever, just don’t follow him with the animation.

(edited by vove.2768)

in Warrior

emkelly.2371

Okay i understand your dilemma now. yes that was much more clear. You missed. What you described has nothing to do with how well headbut is designed, or it being unreliable. It’s a skill which when it lands helps you. The way head but works is that it has a range what it goes through. if you hit something before the end of that range you will hit them. if you do not hit, you wasted the skill. following through with the animation when you missed your target is just part of the skill. the skill is working as intended. Now, if there was some sort of animation glitch, like rubberbanding, or getting thrown all the way across the map, or getting somehow sucked towards your target farther than the intended range (300) of the skill you may have a problem. but i’ve never seen that happen unless i lagged out (at which point headbut is the least of my worries)

Headbut has a range of 300. It’s not very long, but it’s plenty, and if you miss a headbut you can easily find yourself out of position. this allows counterplay to the skill. wanting your skill to be interrupted (generally a short cooldown) if you missed instead of having been counted as used (a full cooldown) is just silly. Asking for changes like that is just selfish.

the skill is working perfectly, and if you miss with it, just move on with your life. it has a super short cooldown anyway. The skill is already the best CC in the game, a stun break, am adrenaline fill, an attack, and burn skill if traited.

I’m sorry but if this thread is not a troll thread, then you may need to read warrior 101 again.

Obligatory Rant
I replied to your post because I wrote warrior 101. When something comes up, like a possible bug to a skill I want to know about it so I can update the guide to help out new players. So yeah, I may not play ranked this season, I may have cut down on the amount I play GW2 in general, but I’m still a part of this community and I have every right to have an opinion and, believe it or not, that opinion matters, for better or worse.

I go through great lengths to try and help players with problems, more than a few people have asked me to take them in game and show them the ropes, or asked me to recreate a bug, or just plain asked me to help test a build. I did not have to open up my alt account and try and recreate what I thought was your problem. I did that to help you because you made it clear you were not trolling.

After discussing this with you i have come to the conclusion that the problem was user error plus a misunderstanding as to how a skill should be designed.

To sum up, if you use a skill and miss three things happen. First, the skill follows through its complete animation. Second, it goes on full cooldown. Finally, you gain no benefit for using the skill unless the skill is specifically designed to grant a benefit without landing.

in Warrior

vove.2768

That’s what I say, it doesn’t work well.

in Warrior

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

i have a super hard time getting it to go off in the direction of the thing I have targetted in wvsw.

I’ll target some1 to my side who is moving behind me, and fire it when he’s at my side and it goes straight instead.

The targetting reminds me of the old gs5….just weird random directions alot of the time

And in zerg fights: it will hit the guy thats directly infront of it rather than the one I targetted, so if an enemy gets infront of me while its going off it hits the enemy infront (rly annoying for clones/pets/wvwscrap and what not). When i target a new enemy and use it on them when theres lots of enemies around me it doesn’t always go for the new enemy….goes for some random guy instead

Also changing the target right when you cast makes the guy its cast on completely random it seems. You just don’t have the control you should have over headbutt. I should be able to cast…then 0-0.5seconds after cast, change the target and have it move in a diff direction. occasionally you can pull this off but its completely random most of the time.

I don’t care about its range or its speed or whatever……I just want it to be more fluid and responsive feeling. I don’t even care if they make it harder to hit static enemies in the process! The ability is OP on paper when it works right. But that doesn’t make it okay for it to have these problems.

Fluid and controllable warriors are preferential to OP robot movement warriors.

@emkelly, Down boy! Down! Want the ball? go fetch the ball! sheeeesh, way too much energy and wayyy too much hate bro, tone it down a bit.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

(edited by Cerby.1069)

in Warrior

emkelly.2371

there was no hate in my post. only information..

in Warrior

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

i also miss it :-). But it´s still one of the most powerful skills in the game. I often use it as counterstunbreaker. If it hits its 80% enemy dead, because it fills my adrenaline. Often result is enemy breaks stun – i zerk with taunt —- enememy taunted and bursted dead.

in Warrior

Posted by: Iain Ross.6903

Iain Ross.6903

Are you talking about when it hits the air? I think it basically works like this: If you use headbutt while they use something like a dodge, whirlwind, shiro roll, rev staff 5, anything like that, then once the headbutt gets in range where it doesn’t have to close you to the target to actually hit, then it will stop homing to the target and the target will often get out of the hit range and u will hit the air instead. The same goes for skullgrinder and shield bash.

in Warrior

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Coming from someone who continuously whiffs rush and has been present for those days when rush, shield bash, and bulls charge were almost comical to attempt to land, I can deal with Headbutt occasionally not giving me one of the best warrior setups in the game.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

in Warrior

Posted by: Furajir.3815

Furajir.3815

OMG HEADBUTT HAS COUNTERPLAY?!?!?!

ALERT THE MASSES!

FOR SHAME!

Tupro-Ranger- “The Great White Hype”
Yak’s Bend(TWIN) Racist against Sylvari
RRR Ranger and Warrior videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ElmoezHerra?feature=watch

in Warrior

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Shocking that a head butt would miss a target at range or to the side. It’s a head butt.

Now if we could do it from the top rope it would be perfect.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

in Warrior

emkelly.2371

As you can see… you are wrong.

in Warrior

Posted by: Jabronee.9465

Jabronee.9465

So when are we getting 1200 range Headbutt??

in Warrior

Posted by: Gwaihir.1745

Gwaihir.1745

Oops you forgot head butt is a melee skill only given a short range since we’re playing a game with game physics.

Would it having 1500 range unblockable while shooting missiles out your behind that kb other players whilst summoning two great swords to defend your sides make you happy?

in Warrior

Posted by: Plautze.6290

Plautze.6290

Oops you forgot head butt is a melee skill only given a short range since we’re playing a game with game physics.

Would it having 1500 range unblockable while shooting missiles out your behind that kb other players whilst summoning two great swords to defend your sides make you happy?

Finally, somebody is making sense here.

:D

Rohan Blackraven | Allister Mortis | Mindblower Torxx

in Warrior

vove.2768

Finally, somebody is making sense here.

:D

No, he is not because you don’t understand the problem.

The range on head butt is 300, but even if your enemy is 50 away from you and someone pushes him back when you cast head butt you are send flying forward chasing that enemy. Do you understand that now? You are right, it is head butt and should work in melee range, it shouldn’t send you flying forward chasing your enemy that is already 1200 yards away from you and when you are locked in head butt animation you cannot cancel it. Please try to understand and correct your logic accordingly to the situation, because what you say right now about head butt’s melee range is completely irrelevant to what I have written.

So when are we getting 1200 range Headbutt??

^Look at this guy, he also doesn’t understand.

Apart from that I don’t even want to start with the pathing issues (same with gs’ rush) and that even if you target an enemy head butt always attacks what’s in front of you ignoring your current target.

As you can see… you are wrong.

No, you still simply don’t understand it but since you don’t play pvp how could you know? Jesus, people in this game…

(edited by vove.2768)

in Warrior

Posted by: ulchanar.4309

ulchanar.4309

I can’t confirm the problem you are having with headbutt and probably the other players who didn’t understand your problem also didn’t because they never experienced it. Many times when players report a bug on a profession I play as well it’s like “Oh yes I know, it’s exactly what happens to me all the time.” But getting stuck in headbutt animation and flying towards a moved target is something I’ve yet to witness. Maybe it’s a lag/bad ping issue?

in Warrior

Posted by: Gwaihir.1745

Gwaihir.1745

The salt lol. If I use any mobility skill on an out of range foe I expect it to still move me. You don’t get a free auto cancel if you miss a skill you have to wait out the animation like any other class. Gee that guard tried to scepter 3 immobilize and enemy at 901 units? Well the skill will still cast but not take effect. That fact that next to no one on this thread can validate nor understand your complaint tells me you have problems playing the class.

Tldr; auto cancels don’t exist to baby your gameplay.

(edited by Gwaihir.1745)

in Warrior

emkelly.2371

. emkelly.2371:
Now, if there was some sort of animation glitch, like rubber banding, or getting thrown all the way across the map, or getting somehow sucked towards your target farther than the intended range (300) of the skill you may have a problem. but i’ve never seen that happen unless i lagged out (at which point headbut is the least of my worries)

Just pointing out that I did address bug issues like that.

Also, those people you quoted were being sarcastic. I was serious. what you are experiencing is a problem with you missing your headbut and wanting the skill to give you another crack at it. This will never happen.

• The headbut skill is not sending anyone chasing after a character 1200 range away. or more precisely, you will only move 300 if your target somehow moves that far away from a push.
  • No knock back has a distance of 1200 range.
  • The chances of the situation you described happening more then once without trying to duplicate it has got to be astronomical.
  • Again, this skill is working as intended.
  • Even when i tried to recreate your problem I could not
  • I suggest working on your timing for delivering your headbut
  • I also suggest checking your ping. it sounds like you are having rubberbanding issues
  • finally, enjoy your gaming vove.

in Warrior

Posted by: Jabronee.9465

Jabronee.9465

Sorry for trolling vove. I just couldn’t resist lol. But since you are serious bout this matter, i would like to ask if u have your Action Camera turned on. Cause with that on even if yr target side stepped an inch it will miss. Yes i missed my headbutt too if I’m crippled rooted/chilled/blind or they leap/ kb/dodge away or forward pass me. Pings are always the culprit. Dont feel bad. It happens.

in Warrior

Posted by: Nusku.3941

Nusku.3941

It is unreliable in the sense that you can miss because people dodge away, but it is a mamjam when you finally land a hit, it chunks health and gives you full adrenaline.