Help me fight mesmer in 1v1

in Warrior

Posted by: Mijo.3274

Mijo.3274

Ciao,
I switched form pvp to solo roam in wvw thx to guys that really inspired me like Callahan and others, i find the warrior really more viable in wvw then pvp thanks to things like the -40% condition duration food, ruby orbs and sigil of impact.
The build i use is this:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIIQNAS8ejcOpwtQGPMxBE0DNsK4iTBlQ9wO2w4A-j0CBYLCyEEw0yAkFQ5cYJPQZPDhtNoIasqSLqW5CwbYR1xAwE-w

Well i have big problems with mesmers, and is so sad because i have huge experience with that class in tpvp, so i always know what’s the real one and what skills the guy is using, but it look like a good mesmer will always win against a good warrior.
I’m far from pro but i can hold my own against every class and win most of the 1v1s, but everytime i see a mesmer with a Staff equipped i know i’m in big trouble.

Need suggestions from good warriors here, thanks!

Champion magus, 4 builds i use
R.I.P. my beloved Meh-Mer, the most hated class by ANET itself.
Winner of the first HxH 1v1 tournament! WOOT!

in Warrior

Posted by: Cempa.5619

Cempa.5619

….106 view no reply, you get the hint?

in Warrior

Posted by: peter.9024

peter.9024

A couple tips:
- stick close to the Mesmer. The farer you are the more likely you are going to get kited
- shatter Mesmers burst every 12s or so. Be ready to dodge
- stay outside chaos storm
- Mesmer have a lot of stun break but no stability. I have had success just out CC info them with mace, and I think hammer helps too
- try to cleave the phantasms as the recharge is at minimum 12s before they can cast the same phantasm again. ( they can still carat the weapon swap phantasm though)

Skullclamp

in Warrior

Posted by: Fenrir.5493

Fenrir.5493

Your problem is called warrior.

I dont think any good warrior is capable of wining to a good mesmer 1 on 1 that is the reality.

But i suggest you drop the hammer, its no usefull for anything gs offers you the ability to run if things are bad (the only thing that warriors can do, funny isnt it?) and sword is really bad too, what is your source of damage with sword? crappy auto attacks? , savage leap is only a gap closer and does kitten damage, final trust?, is an unreliable skill against any good player, no one would eat that, and you need your target to be in 50% healt otherwise is going to do a kitten of damage.

No sigil of paralization? seriously?, the more time you stun lock a mesmer the better, i recomend you to switch to gs / mace/shield and get the shield trait (more blocks and stuns), and put in mace and shield sigil of paralization, mace offers a stun,a daze and a block, and weaknes on normal attacks, gs offers hb and movility, chain stun+hb, but it will not always work, specially if your opponents knows how to use stun breakers

“We also realize that we can make mistakes but we dont care because I HAVE THE POWAAA!!”

in Warrior

Posted by: Tyrion.4259

Tyrion.4259

It’ your weaponry really.

You really need to go with a greatsword and a mace/shield combo to take them. The key here is the mobility as the above poster said. Our form of sustain against memsers are reset the fight via rush and whirlwind. Then after they blinked, and after they used some of their other utilities go with the surprise skullcrack and 100blades. The best way to kill one is burst; in fact it’s the only way unless they’re terrible.

Heck, the scepter/sword ones are tough with their blocks and if they then choose sword/pistol they can choose when to come in for a quick burst after the pistol stun.

I don’t have problems with them in sPvP for some reason; but that’s when I’m using Hammer and Mace/Shield. They can’t get out of every stun I land.

You also need sigil of par and ideally impact. That’s what I run with. Stuns are your friend here. I also sometimes use missile reflection trait which will actually put some clones on them when you block. The mace 2 block can do it too for ya.

in Warrior

Posted by: Engels.8537

Engels.8537

I’m not a good warrior but i’m a decent mesmer and the short answer is “there’s no way to beat a half brained mesmer using a warrior”

Hope it helps buddy, sad but true,

a) You can’t lock him down

b) You can’t avoid their damage, (either phantasms or shatter or conditions),

c) Your best bet if you are using a sword and a greatsword is to run as fast as you can, you should be able to escape,

Don’t talk to me about toughness and vitality, damage avoidance is all in this game

in Warrior

Posted by: Jzaku.9765

Jzaku.9765

It’ your weaponry really.

You really need to go with a greatsword and a mace/shield combo to take them. The key here is the mobility as the above poster said. Our form of sustain against memsers are reset the fight via rush and whirlwind. Then after they blinked, and after they used some of their other utilities go with the surprise skullcrack and 100blades. The best way to kill one is burst; in fact it’s the only way unless they’re terrible.

Heck, the scepter/sword ones are tough with their blocks and if they then choose sword/pistol they can choose when to come in for a quick burst after the pistol stun.

I don’t have problems with them in sPvP for some reason; but that’s when I’m using Hammer and Mace/Shield. They can’t get out of every stun I land.

You also need sigil of par and ideally impact. That’s what I run with. Stuns are your friend here. I also sometimes use missile reflection trait which will actually put some clones on them when you block. The mace 2 block can do it too for ya.

No offense but you haven’t fought half-decent Mesmers then. They’ll blink out of your first stun, phase retreat out of your next, decoy out of the one after that, Distortion the next, then their phase retreat is off cooldown, and blink is also probably off cooldown. This is already being very lenient about being able to land all of your stuns through blurred frenzy and them just kiting you while spawning phantasms.

in Warrior

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

You need to fight them in tight places. Their Phase Retreat won’t be able to bring them far enough to act as a stunbreaker.

Maybe this will help.

But yeah, second I think you can’t play as a glass cannon. The first moments they can avoid most of your damage if they need to. While still damaging you. You have to live past those moments.

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

in Warrior

Posted by: BurrTheKing.8571

BurrTheKing.8571

What is stated above is very true. While they lack stability they have so many stun breaks that even if you landed every Skull Crack you would be better off instantly using Whirlwind attack and avoiding 100b. I have managed to narrowly defeat good mesmers by Skull Cracking/Shield Bashing/pommel striking their heal multiple times in a row. SC can do a good 3k+ dmg on crit. Of course if they catch on they can just stealth before healing and tada you’ll be overwhelmed. The trick is trying to keep the number of clones as low as possible which Whirlwind/Bladetrail can be good at.

All that being said 1v1 a good mesmer vs a good warrior the mes will probably win most of the time. The shatter rotation is so easy to pull off and all the stun breaks they can bring makes locking them down impossible. If you can damage them enough and only use your Daze/Stuns for heals is your best shot at taking them down.

In TPvP they’re actually easier in team fights because they often bring Illusion of life and Portal so they only have less stun breaks, but for WvW they can run the most selfish build possible. It’s further proof we need more WvW/PvP splits so that builds can be toned down in one arena without making it useless in another.

Just an angry old man…

Old Man Burr (War), Bad Hat Ben (Engi), Manly Manny Manson (Guard)

in Warrior

Posted by: XII.9401

XII.9401

The problem with the mesmer class they have too many get out of jail (GOJ) cards on short cool downs plus access of the class to stealth -which is broken in this game-.

You also have to move your cursor on the screen and click to target the actual mesmer..basically making you..a clicker in a fighting game..huh..

A mesmer can keep hitting you while not even facing you by producing decoys from dodging/skills on the fly to set up a shatter.

Their teleports work on the Z axis as well. Watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i9TPVp4BiQ

Their teleports can help in creating 2000+ distance, watch only the beginning of this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IqzGCcbHko

Here is a 3rd video demonstrating how ridiculous their mobility/GOJ cards are:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4Iz8XI_Jg4&feature=youtu.be

Access to 2.5 seconds of evade to anything you can throw at them every 10 seconds.

They can completely bypass your downed state defenses by: Stealth, teleport stomps and distortion. Google for vids.

GS+axe/Shield can work due to good mobility and reliance on sudden burst. I like it because the eviscerate is so sudden, their GOJ cards won’t help unless they anticipate it. I usually hump them before Eviscerating.

Sword/shield is more effective given the 7s cool down on immob/stun followed by a 100b. The problem is you have to land the immob and get enough adrenaline to do that every 7s to overcome their 8 sec teleport. 100b is so slow they can easily work around it and you are exposed to other enemies burst while standing there.

Melee Approach:
Defensively:
GS3 or if you have to, Shield 5 to run through their shatters. If they stealth in the beginning of the fight, they are setting up for a big stealth shatter.

You might need mobile strikes to break out of their leap/immob/dmg combo in a timely manner. Not sure if bogged march+food+runes is fast enough. Expect this every 10 seconds if they aren’t running away.

Offensively:
Read what Jzaku said.
If you are REALLY want to use bull’s charge, never use it initially. They teleport away. Your bulls is on 40s CD, their teleport is 10s. They can teleport away while stunned or immoblized even though the stun breaker was ‘removed’ from staff 2. Their other stunbreak/teleport is on 30s cool down.

1.Use GS 5 or sword 2 or GS3 then GS4 to gap close then cripple to force the 10s cool down teleport..that’s 1 more teleport to go.

2.As soon as they use the staff teleport -or blink- to get away, gap close again using bull’s charge. They will stunbreak/teleport again. You can use any of the other gap closers to do the same.

3.If you are using sword or mace, feel free to burst them initially even without a full bar to burn the two teleports+decoy.

Most mesmers have poor condition removal abilities and rely on food and runes and so won’t get away from the immob once their two teleports are down.

After every successful immobilize from bolas -or flurry- Unload with GS3 before 100b finishes.

Never use 100b unless their two teleports are down. Even then, they can distort or daze out of it. If you have axe and shield, Shield 4 then eviscerate right after 100b and GS3. You don’t have to turn around for shield 4 and evis as that will be done automatically.

As a general rule of thumb for eviscerate, always force a dodge out of them before using it. Most people will dodge as soon as you are close or it is up so always save your eviscerate after their dodge. Few ppl double dodge.

If they stealth on the spot -a decoy suddenly appears and dies right away- that means they have used decoy and are still there. If you threw an immobilize on them then continue to damage on the spot. If you threw a stun, that means they are moving away and so use GS3 immediately.

All their teleports work against stuns and immobilize. If they don’t break the stun, they simply teleport them 1200 in range away from you so by the time you walk up to them, the immobilize/stun is gone. They can also distort or daze you to avoid another burst.

(edited by XII.9401)

in Warrior

XII.9401

Rifle:
Killshot can trace and hit stealthed/teleported targets if you initiated it before the stealth/teleport. They never expect you to hit them with it while stealthed and so never dodge it. You can also use bolas to set up kill shots since they usually have no way of removing immob..just stealthing or teleporting which won’t save them from the 1500 range killshot. They have no way of getting out of an immob/killshot unless they daze you or distort to evade it. They can distort while being immob/stunned.

Longbow:
The problem with Longbow burst and longbow 3 is that they are so slow they can be seen a mile away. You have to use one and then immobilize before they dodge. If you immobilzie early, they see it coming and teleport away.

If you are a ranged warrior, you have to have an instant way of removing immobilize on a short cool down or you will be exposed to their 10s cooldown combo.

Summary:
After all that is said and done, you won’t win against a tanky mesmer. Their tankiness allows them to reset the fight as their heal is on a 20s cool down while yours is on a 25-30 sec cool down and you are not as tanky. You can’t keep up if you are glassy/semiglassy as your damage is absorbed and you will be whittled down slowly if you are tanky.
Tanky mesmers rely on the fight lasting longer because they build up stacks of might.

If you watch the tanky staff mesmer videos, they take on 2 or 3 targets. You need to really have good co-ordination between you and your ally to take one down. Even then it isn’t guaranteed and takes too long which is bad in wvw. It’s like fighting a raid boss, lol.

‘Good’ mesmers are players who play the class to win by knowing how to abuse its mechanics. It isn’t skill when the most Op class carries you but I think the majority deludes its self into thinking that.

The class is God mode and the warrior is the weakest in the game and are both a joke in their own way. Till the devs stop playing it, it won’t get fixed.

(edited by XII.9401)

in Warrior

redslion.9675

Maybe you have a better chance by using longbow 3 at point blank range. They probably won’t see that coming (also because longbow animations are normal AKA ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO READ).

in Warrior

XII.9401

Maybe you have a better chance by using longbow 3 at point blank range. They probably won’t see that coming (also because longbow animations are normal AKA ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO READ).

That is assuming you are close to them. You will have to gap close and use arrow 3 to do so. It will be hard with the multiple GOJ cards but you’re right. It’s the optimal way.

in Warrior

redslion.9675

That’s why I say we have an easier time in narrow spaces. One single arcing arrow might actually save the day.xD

in Warrior

XII.9401

Yea but it’s wvw! It’s all about open space! Also tanky mesmers will shrug it off =/.

in Warrior

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I am usually running with hammer+sw/wh and also have a hard time killing mesmers, usually because its hard to target the real one again, once he creates another illusion.

If i can, i switch to rifle because like already mentioned, the kill shot still hits stealthed targets and the auto attack doesnt switch to the clones when they are greated but your targets keeps on the mesmer.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in Warrior

redslion.9675

Yea but it’s wvw! It’s all about open space! Also tanky mesmers will shrug it off =/.

Then may have God mercy of your soul.

in Warrior

Posted by: stefanplc.5234

stefanplc.5234

I didn’t read what others wrote but here’s some info based from my experience as mace/shield & GS. In WvW it’s much easier to fight a mesmer simply because you can reset fights over and over again and you also do way more damage since you can stack so much crit damage. In WvW you only need to catch the mesmer in 1-2 consecutive mace stuns and it’s over. If you miss one, you can simply just run away and have whatever CDs your missing back and then engage the mesmer again.

In sPvP it’s a different story. You will not be able to beat a defensive condition mesmer, he will simply be able to outlast you if he’s pretty good. Other mesmers that don’t play defensive builds and focus more on being offensive are still difficult but you can win if you pay attention. I played almost entirely on this 1v1 server for the past few weeks and actually defensive condition mesmers got banned there because they seemed so OP in 1v1s. They also don’t allow bunker builds so it makes sense.

So how do you beat the rest of the mesmers? Well it simply comes down to who lands more bursts, you or him.

The first main source of their damage are their Phantasms and if you manage to avoid even the first attack from each Phantasm they summon you’ll be in a pretty good spot. If you pick up the “reflective missiles” trait and you reflect all the shots from the Pistol Phantasm it will almost kill itself. I found it worth it to simply go and hit it one more time and kill it since it’s on a 20 sec CD. Generally speaking, the moment you see a new Phantasm spawn about a second later it will use its attack. I also really hate the GS Phantasm because it cripples you so the more you’re able to avoid that one the better.

The second source of their damage is their main hand sword burst where you get immobilized and they used Blurred Frenzy. Often and usually during their first Blurred Frenzy they also like to Shatter you. You can avoid this burst simply by paying attention and notice the “Illusionary Leap” attack which is easy to spot because it’s an Illusion that runs really fast at you. If you manage to dodge it, great! If not, get ready for Shield Stance or Ignore Pain. If you’re out of those, it’s also worth it to use Lyssa Runes and pop your elite to gain protection and drop the immobilize.

Good mesmers will use their Dazing Shatter and Invulnerability Shatter during your attempts to hit them with 100B. It’s worth using some stability there or when they drop Chaos Storm.

That’s all the help I can give you really and like I said it comes down to who lands more bursts so as long as you use your blocks, immunities and dodges wisely with a little luck you’ll be able to win. You have to try way harder than the mesmer does, that’s for sure, but you can win if you play well. Good luck!

Matale & Sohpital – Warrior & Thief PvP
www.youtube.com/stefanplc

in Warrior

XII.9401

I am usually running with hammer+sw/wh and also have a hard time killing mesmers, usually because its hard to target the real one again, once he creates another illusion.

If i can, i switch to rifle because like already mentioned, the kill shot still hits stealthed targets and the auto attack doesnt switch to the clones when they are greated but your targets keeps on the mesmer.

One of the biggest problem with stealthing/cloning is that you have to MANUALLY move the cursor..around the screen..and target the real mesmer..What if the mesmer is behind you? Pan the camera..move the cursor..find him..and click.. Of course..you are being DPSed the whole time. One of the stupidest class designs in this game.

Tab targetting won’t work because you will target the decoys.

Autotargetting should be locked on the target automatically as soon as it reveals or clones. Even if you know the target it doesn’t matter..because you have to ‘browse’ to find the real mesmer if he is standing still.

Mind you, this was even worse on game release with the insane shatters/confusion. Now it is still terrible. A year into the game and nothing was done. Speaks volumes about the competence of the devs.

Pure..utter..stupidity. I really don’t want to buy any future games the devs who created these classes have a hand in.

in Warrior

redslion.9675

About Illusionary leap, even better: look at the buffs. When the mesmers casts illusionary leap, you’ll see a buff with a boot as image in his buff bar. To me it’s easier than seeing the illusion.

in Warrior

Posted by: stefanplc.5234

stefanplc.5234

About Illusionary leap, even better: look at the buffs. When the mesmers casts illusionary leap, you’ll see a buff with a boot as image in his buff bar. To me it’s easier than seeing the illusion.

I like that, thanks!

Matale & Sohpital – Warrior & Thief PvP
www.youtube.com/stefanplc

in Warrior

Posted by: Fenrir.5493

Fenrir.5493

I have my mesmer wich i love lol, because its efficient and easy, but also like/hate my warrior, but i posted a lot of damm times in the suggestions that we need a “target nearest enemy player” thats one thing that hurts the warrior a lot, the enemy npcs, and that is one HUGE advantage to mesmers i mean HUGE, fighting an enginer in his turrets mess and targeting all their kittening turrets and when you actually target the engi you are dead, lol, just one example of the terrible target system.

“We also realize that we can make mistakes but we dont care because I HAVE THE POWAAA!!”

in Warrior

Posted by: killahmayne.9518

killahmayne.9518

At this point, only ANet can help you fight a mesmer 1v1 .... lolz, obviously I am overexaggerating but it is true to a degree.

Mace/Greatsword Video (Sept Patch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoAjKtD6MLY

in Warrior

Posted by: Ashanor.5319

Ashanor.5319

You will only beat a mesmer if they make mistakes and you play perfectly. A mesmer played perfectly is unbeatable by a warrior imo, no matter the build.

in Warrior

Posted by: Mijo.3274

Mijo.3274

Thanks a lot guys for the feedbacks!!

Too bad that most of suggestions works good on DPS shatter mesmers, but against a tanky condition one is almost impossible to win, as simple as that.

I found myself winning some 1v1s against Necro and Mesmer (my worst nightmares) with rifle/hammer, too bad that i MUST use my burst while the elite is active, or i’m gonna fail if that move doesnt crit…

Champion magus, 4 builds i use
R.I.P. my beloved Meh-Mer, the most hated class by ANET itself.
Winner of the first HxH 1v1 tournament! WOOT!

in Warrior

Posted by: Jakare.6807

Jakare.6807

If you pick up the “reflective missiles” trait and you reflect all the shots from the Pistol Phantasm it will almost kill itself.

Thing with this is mesmers can pick up a 5 point minor trait that grants the retaliation buff to all phantasms, and if the Mesmer has high power, when you reflect all the phantasm bullets you can get hit for 2-3k just from the retal.

It’s usually less painful to just dodge roll towards one when they start shooting and hit it with auto attacks, you’ll at least only get 3-4 ticks of retal rather than upwards of 10.

Úchî/Aulrathil
[TI] Team Ignition (Gandara)

in Warrior

Posted by: Setun.4368

Setun.4368

Thanks a lot guys for the feedbacks!!

Too bad that most of suggestions works good on DPS shatter mesmers, but against a tanky condition one is almost impossible to win, as simple as that.

I found myself winning some 1v1s against Necro and Mesmer (my worst nightmares) with rifle/hammer, too bad that i MUST use my burst while the elite is active, or i’m gonna fail if that move doesnt crit…

I use mace/shield + greatsword, runes of the soldier, and healing shout build taking FGJ, SIO, and OOM with 0/10/30/30/0 and there hasn’t been a build for any class yet that can overpower the build. I’ve had a handful of stalemates though, mostly from super bunker eles with heavy condition duration decreases.

Edit: here’s my build. It’s got high enough armor to withstand power builds, and enough hp to survive condition builds all while maintaining a high enough dps output (Fury up time is very high so crit chance is ~40%, plus unsuspecting foe bumps it up to ~90%.)

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIMQNApeRncOk8YzDSBxEZAB94K0Qs4UQJSPKD0INA-jkzAoLQ8FEuDgABQigIEgZvioxWZLiGruGT7CpeDs+Np2bBZbuyqMAVjB-w

(edited by Setun.4368)

in Warrior

Posted by: Grounder.7381

Grounder.7381

longbow + hammer could be good against mesmer.. more condition, more cc, more aoe = profit!! just make sure to build yourself for anti-condition mode.