How can I kill a warrior?

in Warrior

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

Yes, this is one of those “x class killed me and im super kitten ed posts.” So apologies to the warrior community for the minor raging. I play a ranger, and I’m looking for some l2p advice.

How would you deal with “The New Warriors” if you were a ranger?

Because of the necromancer meta, every one of you that I see in wvw is running melandru’s, -40% condi duration food, and likely dogged march. This makes them completely immune to movement impairing effects for kiting.

Has anyone tried to dodge Bull’s Charge since they increased its speed? It doesnt happen. On top of this, they are usually running shield (thus, shield bash) and a 1h weapon that can also cc, like mace or 1h sword. This gives them 3+ setups for Hundred Blades on their other weapon swap, which obviously is death if you eat it. The popularity of the defense trait line means your looking at 2500 armor before toughness is added from gear, making them very resilient to physical damage too.

This is what I’m running. I often drop a trap for SoR or Lightning Reflexes, because Shared Anguish doesn’t seem to cut it for stun breaking. Centuar is in there for speed, it might be optional.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQNAsYVjEV11xVaWo2BiVBB1ekJzjJ2DD5oHB-jUyAINBRKCIVJQpwioxWzKiGrSGQzgpSXUt/gRrWIAFzBA-w

If you could make a build/give advice focused solely on killing this type of warrior, how would you do it?

If you just want to leave a lol die baddie ranger l2p response, thats cool too

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

in Warrior

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

Ok, now you might tell ME l2p noob, because I have never touched ranger, and I mostly don’t know crap about him.

But nevertheless, here’s what I’d add to help you:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQNAsYVnEVUXZcFaBxaZgYVQQtHZy8Yi9wQO6RXcUVOA-jUyAINBRKCIVJQpwioxWGLiGrSGQzgpSXUt/gRrWIAFzBA-w

I chose what I know I HATE while playing a warrior:

Stability elite, almost shutting down this build for 20 seconds (then you have to prevent the war from running away XD)

Protect me!, another anti burst that looks cool (As a warrior, I LOVE defy pain and all its counterparts)

Rune of Melandru also helps a lot, if it doesn’t kitten you too much. Or Bowl of Roasted Lotus Root, same effect. Reducing Skull Crack’s duration to less than 4 secs, you make sure warrs can’t pull off a full 100 blades.

I added pets accordingly on what annoys me the most: canines can interrupt me even while you are stunned, preventing me from doing bursts.

Just throwing some inputs, I never played WvWvW, only spvp

About gameplay hints, the weapon they are using with shield is mace. The stuns last 4 seconds, are instant and can happen quite often: 7.5 secs cooldown. But they have 130 range, thus making them a bit hard to land even in melee range (misjudging the distance is very common when you are that close, and even one step can make the difference).

Another thing: don’t stunbreak out of shield bash, they are mostly used tu set up skull cracks AND to bait your stunbreakers.

And save your gape creators for the times wars are using mace/shield: They don’t have gap closers with those weapons and will try to Bull’s Charge you, thus making it easier to foresee. And if you make mistakes, try to correct them with your tools.

And greatsword damage alone is good, but not overwhelming with those builds.

I hope I didn’t spat too much BS.XD

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

in Warrior

Posted by: Ashanor.5319

Ashanor.5319

The stuns last 4 seconds, are instant

Doesn’t seem instant to be honest. I think there is a small hidden cast time because it feels delayed.

(edited by Ashanor.5319)

in Warrior

Posted by: Turamarth.3248

Turamarth.3248

I think you should drop both traps and change Trap Potency to Quick Draw if you are facing a warrior. Since you are using + condi duration food the cripple will not instantly vanish and every second the warrior is crippled helps you.
Stay at distance and apply conditions with the shortbow.
I would suggest that you use Runes of the Afflicted which will give you additional poison duration.
I don´t know if it works but can´t you use the evades on your meele weapons if the enemy for example uses Bull’s Charge?

Brandar – Kodash [DE]
[SPQR]

in Warrior

Ashanor.5319

You can also play like the majority of rangers who want to be good at 1v1 combat and use a BM spec, generally with regeneration runes. Although, I am fairly certain I could beat M/Sh GS with a LB/GS build, even if at a disadvantage (since the majority of players are really bad). Although, if fighting someone really good, your best bet is probably BM. I haven’t played Ranger much recently though.

in Warrior

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

Doesn’t seem instant to be honest. I think there is a small hidden cast time because it feels delayed.

I meant the strike is so hard to read compared to other skills, it’s as if it was instant by the receiving side.

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

in Warrior

Ashanor.5319

I meant the strike is so hard to read compared to other skills, it’s as if it was instant by the receiving side.

Animation may be hard to read but knowing when they are going to use it is super easy to read.

in Warrior

Posted by: Fenrir.5493

Fenrir.5493

Stun breaks, dodge, evasion, stealth, protection, fear , the elite that roots you in place, criple, chilled inmovilize, not every warrior is using movile strikes, someone trade that for some more damage, one very good thing a ranger can do is when they become like enraged and gain STABILITY for a long time, you will be immune to the warrior cc for a long time.

“We also realize that we can make mistakes but we dont care because I HAVE THE POWAAA!!”

in Warrior

Posted by: knight.8926

knight.8926

auto attack seems to work

in Warrior

Posted by: Jonwar.9205

Jonwar.9205

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQRAsY3fjAV11xVWWs2BiVBB1ekJzjJ2DD5oHdwqEO-jUyAItBRTLAJBwUlAlDLiGbpFt+SENqnJiqV3YCBoYOA-w

How I’d change your build. It seems like you’re more offensively minded than I am when I play my ranger, so I tried to keep that in mind when putting it together. With this combo he’ll only be getting -15% duration on anything but your movement impairing condi’s and only -5% on your burning.

You could also run melandru runes to cut down on his stun duration, personally prefer regen runes on my own ranger.

Basically your sword/dagger set should be used very defensively, meaning you shouldnt be in melee with it unless you’re using an evade. Your axe/torch set should be your offensive set, apply burning with 4, and try to use 5 before swapping to sword/dagger so you can punish him for going into melee (spam evades inside of the circle so he eats burning while you remain unscathed, 2 your way out when out of evades and then swap back to axe torch. Shotgun him with splitblade when you can, but understand that going into melee range of a warrior is risky.

Also most warriors will not use skullcrack right off the bat (this is the thing that catches most people, and a good warrior will not use it when you expect it). A common combination is shield bash→2 autos→skullcrack→HB or more stunlock depending on what he’s running. You’ll likely to have a very very small window after the two autos to dodge, if not if the third strike isn’t an auto attack looking thing now wouldn’t be a bad time to use your stunbreak as he’ll likely be going to a practiced rotation at this point, and then you can lol at him as he flails around with his greatsword.

You can also swap raven for a moa so that you can interrupt him with either pet if you get caught, personally prefer the shorter CD blind though to prevent the skullcrack in the first place.

Hurr Durr Blades – PvP Warrior
Jangeol – WvW Warrior

in Warrior

Posted by: Niko.8901

Niko.8901

Kill a warrior by rolling a warrior and then using greatsword and then shield and mace and healing signet. If the other warrior downs you first just vengeance and kill him.

Otto Maggic ~Toasty
(sorry, I don’t give much wxp)

in Warrior

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

evade( i mean you even have them on your weapon),push back, knock down, immo trap, and you have like one of the longest stability. they dont hit kitten when you are not stunned.

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

in Warrior

Posted by: Valroth.7138

Valroth.7138

I used to main Ranger before the pet damage nerf, shortbow nerf, quickness nerf, petswap trait nerf, and before the recent buffs to Warrior. I now main Warrior and have been playing the build you describe, mace/shield + GS.

Honestly, you will need to be a much better player to beat this new breed of Warrior. Time your evades well, stay out of melee range when he has his mace out. Be super aggressive with Rampage as One, try to do as much damage as you possibly can while stability is up. Once you lose stability and start eating stuns, you’re screwed.

in Warrior

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

If you run full traps with full healing it is either a draw or you win as a ranger. I don’t know alot about rangers but I run the mace/shield gs build on my warrior and a trap ranger specced full healing is a draw or a loss unless the ranger isn’t very good. You have to get close to land the skull crack or any of the stuns. So a warrior has to go inside the traps. Then you have to put out a ton of dps to kill the ranger if you interrupt the heal its possible but they still have sword for evade to create distance to allow them to get the heal off I believe its called Troll Ungent. Those are really the rangers that give me trouble if we are talking about 1v1 anyway when I play my warrior.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

in Warrior

Posted by: Sil.4560

Sil.4560

I managed to kill one of those rangers the other day. Took awhile though, and I wasn’t using the “OP” M+Sh/GS.

in Warrior

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Youre a ranger..if they wield double melee…All you have to do is kite,wich you still need to learn to do properly i guess.Keep your distance…Start there first.You can have the best build,but it starts with the way you play.

in Warrior

Ashanor.5319

I managed to kill one of those rangers the other day. Took awhile though, and I wasn’t using the “OP” M+Sh/GS.

You killed a ranger!? It’s OP, nerf time!

in Warrior

Posted by: Sil.4560

Sil.4560

The mace I had taped to my foot helped.

in Warrior

Ashanor.5319

The mace I had taped to my foot helped.

I imagine so!

in Warrior

Posted by: Derps.7421

Derps.7421

Well my first I would say stop qqing on the forums and actually learn to play your class because rangers eat warriors alive. Second I would say run spirit ranger and laugh as all your ai companions get in the way of all the warriors attacks. Seriously though every time i try to land a cc the kittening spirits slow motion style jump in front of the ranger to take the stun.

Dr. Professor Evil – Engi
Stunned Girls Can’t Say No <Hawt>