How to nerf warrior PROPERLY.

in Warrior

Posted by: Dand.8231

Dand.8231

We all knew it was coming. This quote merely confirms what we already heavily suspected.

Warriors are pretty strong right now, but will be seeing changes in an upcoming patch.

We like how they can be tanky, and we like how they can do DPS if they want. We also like the CC they can bring. We just don’t like them doing it all with 1 build.

So, Warrior Nerfs inc.

Therefore, I’m posting this in the hopes that we dont end up seeing an OVER nerfed version of Warriors, and end up back in the dark ages of the pre-healing buff. I still shudder when I think back to how bad War’s were in any attrition battle….

I think Unsuspecting foe is the worst offender in the entire class, with it’s + 50% crit in the adept tier. It’s easy to see why one might take it in a Mace+GS or Hammer+GS build; this single trait can take a Tanky/CC build and add huge DPS all by itself. The fix? Simple: Move to master, or nerf it numerically.

Healing Signet is the subject of lots of debate. I can understand the issue. It’s a powerful passive heal. I’ve got a few ideas that may help balance it out, so it remains as useful for Tanky builds, but not the Best-In-Slot for all builds.

Current

• Current Base: 392 HP/S, + HealingPower * 0.05 (467 HP/S @ 1500 Heal Pow)

Simple Number Tweaking

• Retuned Base: 360 HP/S + HealingPower * 0.07 (465 HP/s @ 1500 Heal Pow)

in Warrior

Posted by: Tremain.4623

Tremain.4623

Unsuspecting foe: 10% crit. That is decent enough and comparable to other classes traits, like thieves extra crit from behind which is actually 7%. And the passive in signet of healing needs to be about half, buff the active to compensate.

in Warrior

Posted by: dukefx.9730

dukefx.9730

Healing signet doesn’t need a tweak imo. If you think it does then the other 2 heals need to be changed as well to maintain balance. On top of that, if you want to decrease healing, you have to give the warrior another form of sustain or else it’ll be same old free kill in PvP as it used to be. I’d be happy with both suggestions to unsuspecting foe tho.

One more thing I’d like to add regarding healing signet: Arena.net’s goal was to make signet passives strong, that’s why most signets across all professions were buffed.

(edited by dukefx.9730)

in Warrior

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

Unsuspecting foe: 10% crit. That is decent enough and comparable to other classes traits, like thieves extra crit from behind which is actually 7%. And the passive in signet of healing needs to be about half, buff the active to compensate.

I won’t comment on Unsuspecting Foe (because I don’t use it or any stun lock build), but nerfing the signet by half?

Do you realize it currently heals competitively with (not greater than) a 3 bar Healing Surge?
<25 sec battle, healing surge heals more
30 sec battle, you need 15 sec of poison to have healing signet and healing surge heal the same amount
40 sec battle, healing surge heals more

Edit: I will agree that the active needs to be changed. As it stands, unless you need that (small) burst heal, it is pointless to ever activate it.

in Warrior

Dand.8231

I’d say 10% is a bit too low, since it only applies to stunned foes. I was thinking more in the + 25% range. If it were reduced as low as 10, it’d become TOO weak.

An alternate idea is setting crit chance TO 50% rather than ADDING 50%.

As for healing signet… half?? That’s way too harsh. At one time healing signet was roughly half, and people LOL’d at how bad it was.

in Warrior

Posted by: Scryed.9423

Scryed.9423

People who cant understand simple math, or have no idea how to play this profession use healing signet as a go to and its pretty obvious after reading the 10 nerf threads, all started and commented on by the same 10/15 people who don’t play warriors well.

Like its been stated hundreds of times already, the problem was the lack of separation of traiting so that one could get x,x, and x, instead of x, x like most classes. In this case, stuns, damage, and defense.

I doubt you are going to see a big nerf anyways since its a pretty well tuned class now but if you want to complain about it, consider all angles instead of doing poor assumptions and bad math. It gets old after reading the same thing from the same people.

in Warrior

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

The thing is, none of the other traits are as restricting as Unsuspecting Foe.

Unsuspecting Foe is the only trait that not only requires a specific weapon, much like Right-Hand Strength but even then it’s only triggered by a minor subset of the skills.

Warrior has access to 21 different combinations of weapons and out of those, 9 can trigger Unsuspecting Foe.

The other traits that you see with crit chance are either available for all the skills on a specific weapon/weapons, or they are available regardless of the weapon as long as you fulfill some other condition.

in Warrior

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

The OP does propose a decent suggestion for healing signet in making it so that you need to spec some healing power. Not sure how I feel about it if people did want to still run it using the OP’s suggestion they would need to slot some clerics to get better sustain which means they will have less damage.

I just remember how warrior’s where before in a sustain fight it was like a squishy thief with no stealth run in do a couple of moves run away. Wait for long CD’s to come back up. Don’t want this again.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

in Warrior

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Complainers will not stop until warriors become free kill again.

To nerf it properly, delete the warrior.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Warrior

Posted by: DragonMind.2983

DragonMind.2983

Complainers will not stop until warriors become free kill again.

To nerf it properly, delete the warrior.

Well removing the warrior could be a good idea,
though I would want a free change to another
proffession with my current warrior.

in Warrior

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

The OP does propose a decent suggestion for healing signet in making it so that you need to spec some healing power. Not sure how I feel about it if people did want to still run it using the OP’s suggestion they would need to slot some clerics to get better sustain which means they will have less damage.

I just remember how warrior’s where before in a sustain fight it was like a squishy thief with no stealth run in do a couple of moves run away. Wait for long CD’s to come back up. Don’t want this again.

The thing about the Healing Signet change is that, at ~30 HPS less, over the course of 30 seconds you’ll have ~900 less health than you would have in current state. At a 60 second fight, it’s ~1800.

Are the cries of imba really because Warriors keep ending fights at ~1000 to 2000 health over the course of an extended fight? I think potentially lowering it a bit would perhaps balance it out a skosh, but the implications of that change are that nothing would really change, in my opinion.

I don’t mind what they do to UF. If they remove it completely, I’d be fine with it and move on to something else.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in Warrior

Posted by: Tammuz.7361

Tammuz.7361

The proper nerf to warrior at this point if there has to be one is healing signet: 400 hp/sec is too much at base… 300hp/sec would be the extreme version of the nerf (and make all skilled warriors change to a different heal right away), any more and they might as well just delete the signet.

Unsuspecting foe – nah, this has been there for over a year without causing problems including during times when warrior was a free kill in spvp… its not the problem. With that said, if they want to remove it completely thats fine too, i just dont think they are gonna get as much bang for their buck here. The proper nerf if there needs to be one would be to move it to mastery.

Berserker’s stance: possibly, would leave warriors vunerable to conditions unless they use soldier runes shouts / warhorn trait.

[VoTF] www.votf-online.net

(edited by Tammuz.7361)

in Warrior

Posted by: Larynx.2453

Larynx.2453

Agree 100% with the OP. It addresses the heart of the issue with overcompensating and making hammers and other warrior builds useless.

Moving Unsuspecting Foe forces warriors to go 0/20/30/0/20, which means they don’t have Burst Mastery. That’s a 33% reduced frequency on Earthshaker, and Cleansing Ire. It also doesn’t effect any other warrior builds very much.

Healing Signet is nice and I agree with it, especially since with this suggestion it’ll still be competitive, just not the single available choice. Healing Surge will be a viable option to bring versus heavy burst teams where Healing Signet just pales. Honestly, maybe they could also increase the healing from stage 0-2 heal too.

I might tack on a nerf to zerker stance as well. Perhaps make it 90% or 95% reduced condition duration, so very long duration conditions will still have minor impact, fear can interrupt, immobilize is still a decent CC at least at disorienting the warrior.

@reduce healing signet passive by half
LOL

(edited by Larynx.2453)

in Warrior

Posted by: hooma.9642

hooma.9642

Healing signet doesn’t need a tweak imo. If you think it does then the other 2 heals need to be changed as well to maintain balance. On top of that, if you want to decrease healing, you have to give the warrior another form of sustain or else it’ll be same old free kill in PvP as it used to be. I’d be happy with both suggestions to unsuspecting foe tho.

One more thing I’d like to add regarding healing signet: Arena.net’s goal was to make signet passives strong, that’s why most signets across all professions were buffed.

mending and healing surge can be interrupted, providing no heal. healing surge used at empty adrenalin bar provides a lot less heal. so atm we has 2 heals on warrior who has some pros and a lot of risk against a riskfree no brain heal, what provides in average the most healing per second than any other warrior heal. so either healing signet is op or the other 2 heals are up.

in Warrior

Larynx.2453

mending and healing surge can be interrupted, providing no heal. healing surge used at empty adrenalin bar provides a lot less heal. so atm we has 2 heals on warrior who has some pros and a lot of risk against a riskfree no brain heal, what provides in average the most healing per second than any other warrior heal. so either healing signet is op or the other 2 heals are up.

The correct answer is that the warrior sustain is distributed very poorly and is almost 100% in a single heal.

in Warrior

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

We all knew it was coming. This quote merely confirms what we already heavily suspected.

Warriors are pretty strong right now, but will be seeing changes in an upcoming patch.

We like how they can be tanky, and we like how they can do DPS if they want. We also like the CC they can bring. We just don’t like them doing it all with 1 build.

So, Warrior Nerfs inc.

Therefore, I’m posting this in the hopes that we dont end up seeing an OVER nerfed version of Warriors, and end up back in the dark ages of the pre-healing buff. I still shudder when I think back to how bad War’s were in any attrition battle….

I think Unsuspecting foe is the worst offender in the entire class, with it’s + 50% crit in the adept tier. It’s easy to see why one might take it in a Mace+GS or Hammer+GS build; this single trait can take a Tanky/CC build and add huge DPS all by itself. The fix? Simple: Move to master, or nerf it numerically.

Healing Signet is the subject of lots of debate. I can understand the issue. It’s a powerful passive heal. I’ve got a few ideas that may help balance it out, so it remains as useful for Tanky builds, but not the Best-In-Slot for all builds.

Current

Simple Number Tweaking

HS is fine the way it is – hammer nerf is enough already if it hits.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

in Warrior

Posted by: Tammuz.7361

Tammuz.7361

nah – warriors had hammer even back when they were free kills, its healing signet that got over-buffed and allowed for passive play to win…

hammer if anything is still super easy for a moderately skilled player to dodge and possibly even UP in the smaller 1v1 matchups, its the lack of skill it takes to sustain ourselves with healing signets passive thats really the OP thing about warriors.

US is strong against noobs who dont dodge its not strong against more skilled players, healing sig is strong against noobs AND strong players AND makes the warrior take less skill to play.

[VoTF] www.votf-online.net

in Warrior

Posted by: Zee.1294

Zee.1294

Properly ha ?

You know…some times i think Defs just don’t know what they are doing…
Up one build but nerf another …. that is not how u do it Properly..
Problem is THEY Force 90 % of warriors go hammer builds…. cause Nothing ells works Properly….eh maybe M/Sh> GS ..but that,s about it

How bout Fix the kitten AXEs end make them worth something ….OR Great sword kitten F1 skill ..
OR How bout give me a kitten Great axe for a change…. OR Pole arm
…..If one of above is applied ..trust me .. You will see far less Hammers around
…..i be one of them

Viggen ( SF ) warrior – JQ
Want some…..come get some !

in Warrior

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

Unsuspecting foe does little in hammer longbow build. hammer only has 2 seconds stun with extremely slow AAs.

hammer longbow build depends a lot of CC, and cc +25% damage.
Unsuspecting foe is just a slight damage boost

while mace GS depends completely on Unsuspecting foe for damage

but that maybe a good way to nerf, because its only a slight damage boost for hammer longbow and for mace gs, you can bring the crit down and it will probably still be close to viable. not like its any good right now.

nah – warriors had hammer even back when they were free kills, its healing signet that got over-buffed and allowed for passive play to win…

hammer if anything is still super easy for a moderately skilled player to dodge and possibly even UP in the smaller 1v1 matchups, its the lack of skill it takes to sustain ourselves with healing signets passive thats really the OP thing about warriors.

US is strong against noobs who dont dodge its not strong against more skilled players, healing sig is strong against noobs AND strong players AND makes the warrior take less skill to play.

no, hammer works now, because of not just healing signet, but healing signet, cleansing ire and dodges march and berserker stance or lowered CD endure pain, also combined effect of burst cost and plus 7% more extra damage on burst skill and burst CD

also for who ever saying that, decrease healing signet effective and increase its healing power effect, no, a berserker with healing signet now melt like butter, and has no effective healing to deal with spikes. (which zerkers take)
the only thing i would call a bit too strong(or does it all as dev said) is PTH hammer longbow with lyssa.

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

(edited by Lighter.5631)

in Warrior

Posted by: Redscope.6215

Redscope.6215

I won’t comment on Unsuspecting Foe (because I don’t use it or any stun lock build), but nerfing the signet by half?

Do you realize it currently heals competitively with (not greater than) a 3 bar Healing Surge?
<25 sec battle, healing surge heals more
30 sec battle, you need 15 sec of poison to have healing signet and healing surge heal the same amount
40 sec battle, healing surge heals more

Edit: I will agree that the active needs to be changed. As it stands, unless you need that (small) burst heal, it is pointless to ever activate it.

Just a little misleading here. Let me lay out some facts for you guys. First of all, you can only assume what you’ve said is true if the following is also true:

• You use surge earlier than the first 30 seconds of the fight
  • You always use surge at a full adrenaline bar
  • You’re never interrupted while using surge
  • You never have any period of time where surge is off cooldown but not used (forget to heal yourself)
  • You can always absorb the full amount of healing each and every use

Assuming you had to start the fight with a healing surge, that’s 19640 hp within a 30 second time frame. That amounts to 654 hp/sec. Healing Signet’s base is 392/sec. We’re talking no extra healing here just to make things “on-paper” simple.

After the second surge, 60s has passed for a total of 491 hp/sec. The third, 436 hp/sec over 90s. You can see the pattern here. Eventually the signet overcomes the initial burst heal. At 2.5 minutes in, the two are equal (its actually a lot sooner than that due to cast time required for surge, but I’m leaving it simplified).

Keep in mind that this is the biggest advantage over the signet you could possibly have and you’d need to have the first 5 bullet points above remain true for each use of the surge. This is with a full adrenaline bar every time you go to heal at the 30s mark, not being interrupted, not forgetting to activate it, not being in the middle of something which is keeping you from activating your heal, and being able to absorb the full amount healed. How often is that going to happen?

The signet is just OP. JP finally opened his eyes to the war’s problems…lets hope the QQ from FotM, numbskull war players doesn’t make him close them again.

in Warrior

Posted by: Redscope.6215

Redscope.6215

This would put the warrior back to a good place:

Traits:

• Unsuspecting Foe moved to Master Tier
  • Forceful Greatsword moved to Adept Tier (probably not, but I’d like to hope)
  • Warrior’s Sprint moved to Strength Adept Tier
  • Short Temper moved to Discipline Adept Tier
  • Adrenal Health made Major trait in Master Tier
  • Cull the Weak made Minor trait in Master Tier
  • Cleansing Ire has an internal cooldown for adrenaline gain of 1s
  • Dogged March provides 1s of regen down from 3s

Skills:
Healing Signet:

• Base heal over time reduced to 92/sec
  • Base active heal doubled to 6550 (remember it can be a 16s heal)
  • Passive heal over time is now applied to nearby allies (5 max)

Banners:

• Banners only provide bonuses while in-combat
  • Banner skills cannot be daisy-chained between players

Combustive Shot:

• Radius at 3rd adrenaline level reduced to 240 from 360

Traits and signet are just way too OP. Right now wars are mind-numbingly easy to play because they don’t have to worry about healing and have 25% movement speed on an uber-bunker.

Cry and flame all you want, but its got to happen. I’ve been telling you guys war is getting nerfed for months. “Don’t nerf me bro!” doesn’t work. Coming on the forums to profess how the class is not OP blatantly shows the class is OP.

Your tears will be delicious…that is all.

in Warrior

Posted by: Felix.2613

Felix.2613

What helps outs surge is the full adrenal bar. It’s a pretty strong sidekick. Don’t forget it raises Adrenal Health too, which might be as much as another 100 hp/s.

in Warrior

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

If Healing Signet’s drops to 360 base healing, the coefficient should be 0.1, not 0.07.

The idea is that to get today’s Healing Signet, you need to put some thoughts into healing power, but not necessarily sacrifice all your stats into it.

Don’t forget that the devs are cool with us being tanky, so you don’t want to break even with today’s Healing Signet only at maximum healing power. A tanky warrior would probably have closer to 750 healing power, and 0.1 breaks even around there. (435 vs 429 today) At 1,500 healing power, that’s 510 but then you made healing power your primary stat so it should be fine.

I think it’s much more likely that they’re going to be moving Unsuspecting Foe to master and swapping the Adrenal Health and the Armored Attack minor traits.

in Warrior

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

Traits:

Skills:
Healing Signet:

Banners:

Combustive Shot:

Traits and signet are just way too OP. Right now wars are mind-numbingly easy to play because they don’t have to worry about healing and have 25% movement speed on an uber-bunker.

Cry and flame all you want, but its got to happen. I’ve been telling you guys war is getting nerfed for months. “Don’t nerf me bro!” doesn’t work. Coming on the forums to profess how the class is not OP blatantly shows the class is OP.

while I don’t agree healing signet is OP, but i do like your healing signet rework, 6k burst heal with 16sec CD is sweet….

Also if forceful Greatsword switch with unsuspected foe, it is also a nice suggestion.

overall i agree warrior is OP because of UF, but i do like your idea too.

in Warrior

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Traits:

Skills:
Healing Signet:

Banners:

Combustive Shot:

You’ve got clearly no idea why signet was made into what it is now. And it healing allies now? Where do you people get this stuff?

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

in Warrior

Posted by: dukefx.9730

dukefx.9730

The correct answer is that the warrior sustain is distributed very poorly and is almost 100% in a single heal.

HS has his pros and cons as most of you know.
Pro: can’t be interrupted
Con: no burst heal since it heals so little when activated, and poison affects it a lot more than any other heal.

To be frank I don’t want yet another must have trait like cleansing ire. The only good solution I see is some F2 skill for compensation.

in Warrior

Posted by: Rigel.3092

Rigel.3092

Warrior does not need a nerf, it is and has been just fine (except for aspects of sPvP, but in WvW and PvE, it has been fine).

in Warrior

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

Healing Signet needs to scale better with Healing Power, and then lowered a lot if you don’t have any healing power.

That way if Warriors want to have sustain, they will have to go Clerics or Apothecary like everyone else.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

in Warrior

Posted by: Belorn.2659

Belorn.2659

They should just follow the same process as they did with the elementalists. First do general nerfs to warriors high mobility skills. Also, nerf defy pains duration and disable skills while invulnerable.

When that doesn’t “fix” the situation, go after both Healing Signet Unsuspecting foe, leaving the previous nerfs intact to really kill the profession from competitive play.

Afterwards when the competitive play has been dead for a half year, make a post how warrior looks “pretty balanced”, and do minor improvements to Rampage and the skills a character has while carrying banners.

Thats the PROPER anet method for nerfing.

(edited by Belorn.2659)

in Warrior

Dand.8231

So far, it seems the general consensus (there are dissenters) seems to more or less be in line with my original post.

• A slight reduction of Healing Signet base, with a co-efficient buff to break even at higher Healing Power levels
  • Nerf/Relocation of Unsuspecting Foe

Another idea I liked was a swap of Armored Attack (25 pt defense) being swapped with Adrenal Health (15 pt defense). When you look at their relative power, Armored Attack is a bit weak as a 25, but seems more appropriate as a 15 pt. Meanwhile Adrenal health is certainly powerful enough to justify it being moved up to 25.

in Warrior

Posted by: Adhominem.8301

Adhominem.8301

So, Warrior Nerfs inc.

Current

Simple Number Tweaking

You have a link to this statement?

in Warrior

Larynx.2453

So, Warrior Nerfs inc.

Current

Simple Number Tweaking

You have a link to this statement?

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Warrior-Ele-2-0/first

He also said,

Yes, we’re also looking at the other classes in relation to the current iteration of the Warrior and how they vie for spaces in the meta.
If we bring down Warrior slightly, we’ll also need to adjust other things to make sure they’re also not too strong.
Also, we want to shave most things down, instead of just running around with a “buff” stick. That’s how you get a lot of power creep, and it’s something a lot of you, very astutely, have pointed out – we need to avoid that.
Keep your eyes peeled for another post later today where we expound on a lot of this type of stuff.

in Warrior

Posted by: deathTouch.9706

deathTouch.9706

Agree 100% with the OP. It addresses the heart of the issue with overcompensating and making hammers and other warrior builds useless.

Moving Unsuspecting Foe forces warriors to go 0/20/30/0/20, which means they don’t have Burst Mastery. That’s a 33% reduced frequency on Earthshaker, and Cleansing Ire. It also doesn’t effect any other warrior builds very much.

Healing Signet is nice and I agree with it, especially since with this suggestion it’ll still be competitive, just not the single available choice. Healing Surge will be a viable option to bring versus heavy burst teams where Healing Signet just pales. Honestly, maybe they could also increase the healing from stage 0-2 heal too.

I might tack on a nerf to zerker stance as well. Perhaps make it 90% or 95% reduced condition duration, so very long duration conditions will still have minor impact, fear can interrupt, immobilize is still a decent CC at least at disorienting the warrior.

LOL

I would much rather go 0/20/20/0/30 and slot EP than lose burst mastery.

V deathTouch V – Warrior
STD [Scarlet Gave Me Harpies]
Maguuma

in Warrior

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

HS reduce it by 80 – increase its use by 1000
Move Unsuspecting Foe to Master
adrenaline abilities – lose adrenaline if they hit nothing
Cleansing ire – no condition loss if ability hits nothing and adrenaline is lost

Something like this would make a huge difference and not gut the class.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

in Warrior

Larynx.2453

LOL

I would much rather go 0/20/20/0/30 and slot EP than lose burst mastery.

I was actually rethinking that statement, and I honestly think going 30 defense/30 discipline is still worth it. Unsuspecting Foe I don’t think is actually that good for hammer compared to those traits.