If you have a Guardian why make a Warrior?

in Warrior

Posted by: Stripeknight.6458

Stripeknight.6458

Hi guys! I was curious about how warriors in general compare to Guardians. I have a level 80 Guardian and enjoy playing him. I made a warrior the other day and have leveled him mostly with axes to level 15. My question is what can a warrior do better than a guardian in the current state of the game? They both seem like fun classes but wondering if it’s worth it to level a warrior to 80 when they are so similar.

Thoughts?

in Warrior

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

Better DPS and burst potential, much greater mobility, better ranged options.

And then miscellaneous stuff like different kinds of CC (Fear and huge stunlocking capability if you can land the stuns), best Fire Combo Field in the game, somewhat more viable condition builds, different weapon options for different flavor.

You can also summon flags from the sky.

in Warrior

Posted by: Juba.8406

Juba.8406

because Guardian is slow

in Warrior

Posted by: MiLkZz.4789

MiLkZz.4789

Easy question, the playstyle is so different. I have a warrior and a guardian and I love my warrior a lot more. I know other players rolling warriors aswel and saying it is real fun to play. Some of them don’t ofcourse, it still is personal opinion.

A bunker warrior with tons of CC ponies everything up that does not have stability. A warrior has great escape abilities. Mine is specced for group support condition cleaning. And he removes tons of conditions from myself and teammates. Think I can remove up to 12 conditions in 1 rotation on myself alone. While my guardian, also specced for support feels totally different to play with. I feel their abilities are easier to land but are lower damage. Meaning you keep up a continuous DPS cycle burning your opponent slowly down. While a warrior has abilities harder to land, but they hit real hard. Meaning he is more like a burst character.

Survivability, a warrior with protection from a guardian (or himself) is the tankiest thing ingame. That health pool just takes so long to burn down. He surpasses the guardian in tankyness in large scale fights. But the guardian beats him in smaller and solo fights.

tldr.:
warrior: CC/burst dmg/mainly aoe condition cleaning, second aoe healing/best survivability in large zerg fights
guardian: Pull and lock/continuous dmg/mainly aoe healing, second aoe condition clean/best survivability in small scale fights

Warrior of [VcY], guild from Seafarer’s Rest
First troll to receive 10/10
Best golem driver EU

in Warrior

Posted by: Broseph.9104

Broseph.9104

Because Eviscerate

EE Sama PvF eSports

in Warrior

Posted by: Juba.8406

Juba.8406

^^^

Final Thrust is the new Eviscerate :P

in Warrior

Posted by: deadhunger.1290

deadhunger.1290

differences in my experience:

Guardian – better support, better utility in groups imo, better condition cleanse – self or group-wise

Warrior – BIG dmg, cc capability, lot of mobility.

with regards to class as a whole, i think guardians have more utility in the current state of the game. but with the recent patches we are seeing more potential for warrior – aside from it being a fun class to play, reason why i main warrior.

in Warrior

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

^^^

Final Thrust is the new Eviscerate :P

They need to change the animation of Final Thrust to something cooler.

There’s just something downright magical about landing a Shield Bash > Eviscerate and downing your foe.

in Warrior

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

because Guardian is slow

^This

I like mobile classes. Guardian can close the gap “ok”, but in terms of speed it is a turtle.

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

in Warrior

Posted by: ArtemisEntreri.4138

ArtemisEntreri.4138

They are both equally fun and depending on how you enjoy playing, you can spec your guardian to be this group/zerg buff machine and dodge roll around and heal up to 5 people for 1500+ or you can spec your warrior in to offensive damage and be pretty effective in groups.

I will say, in most 1v1s, depending on spec, a guardian will have a better chance of surviving compared to a warrior currently right now but it’s gradually going in the right direction for warriors. I think once Anet figures out what purpose they want warriors to have we will make sense of the changes they are making.

Guardian / Warrior / Thief / Necromancer
Black Gate – Immortals of the Mist [IoM]

in Warrior

Posted by: deathTouch.9706

deathTouch.9706

Because you enjoy a challenge.

V deathTouch V – Warrior
STD [Scarlet Gave Me Harpies]
Maguuma

in Warrior

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

Because my Guardian is a big, slow kitten.
Well, technically, she’s a Charr, but it’s still like watching a huge piece of armor roll slowly through the field.
I really LOVE the guardian shouts, but whenever I take her for a spin, I just feel like throwing up when I try to get to places. Even with Staff always being equipped and having retreat in the utility bar, she’s still slow as kitten.
Just taking my little asura warr is so much more satisfying. He can be fast without having to plant a friggin circle in front of his feet every couple seconds and he also got savage leap, which is amazing to get around quickly.
Plus, the hammer on Warrs is so much more fun than the hammer on Guards. It’s a combo weapon, used to jump in and dish out the skill rotations. Guardians got that lame excuse for a control weapon… 1-1-1-2-1-1-1-2-1-1-1-2…

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

in Warrior

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

There isn’t much a damage difference between Guardian/Warrior anymore.

Guardians are better then anything a Warrior is, except running away. (Mobility)

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

in Warrior

Posted by: Valin.4527

Valin.4527

I’m in this position right now (deciding between the two).

Used to main a Ranger for WvW but wanted to change it up.

My geared Guardian feels solid, well designed but yeah, it’s like a tank (think M1 Abrams, not MMO type) kinda slow, clunky.

I like a more mobile playstyle (hence my Ranger fondness) but also want to be able to have group support so am now working on gearing up my Warrior so I can give him a fair try in WvW (only in Rares/Exotics right now).

Both classes are really good, I think the main decider is which you jive with more.

-A man of many Valins [KONG]

in Warrior

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

guardian? slow? man love them insane speed when catching running enemies with zerker meditation build.

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

in Warrior

Posted by: kurtosis.9526

kurtosis.9526

Earthshaker. And Earthshaker. And Earthshaker. And oh yeah, Earthshaker. Did I mention Earthshaker?

Death From Above and the new Stomp (traited) are pretty awesome too.

I have a Guardian I love for zerg frontlining, but godkitten Earthshaker owns me, I only ever log into my Guardian anymore when there’s a very specific need for him, otherwise Hammer Warrior is my default WvW go-to.

So. Much. Fun.

(edited by kurtosis.9526)

in Warrior

Posted by: XII.9401

XII.9401

Guardians are boring and predictable as kitten compared to warriors. Their mobility isn’t that good in WvW, too.

The only skill required is rolling your face across the keyboard once in a while with guardians.

in Warrior

Posted by: Assassin.7890

Assassin.7890

Easy question, the playstyle is so different. I have a warrior and a guardian and I love my warrior a lot more. I know other players rolling warriors aswel and saying it is real fun to play. Some of them don’t ofcourse, it still is personal opinion.

A bunker warrior with tons of CC ponies everything up that does not have stability. A warrior has great escape abilities. Mine is specced for group support condition cleaning. And he removes tons of conditions from myself and teammates. Think I can remove up to 12 conditions in 1 rotation on myself alone. While my guardian, also specced for support feels totally different to play with. I feel their abilities are easier to land but are lower damage. Meaning you keep up a continuous DPS cycle burning your opponent slowly down. While a warrior has abilities harder to land, but they hit real hard. Meaning he is more like a burst character.

Survivability, a warrior with protection from a guardian (or himself) is the tankiest thing ingame. That health pool just takes so long to burn down. He surpasses the guardian in tankyness in large scale fights. But the guardian beats him in smaller and solo fights.

tldr.:
warrior: CC/burst dmg/mainly aoe condition cleaning, second aoe healing/best survivability in large zerg fights
guardian: Pull and lock/continuous dmg/mainly aoe healing, second aoe condition clean/best survivability in small scale fights

could you explain your condition cleanse combo in more detail please? wanna learn!

in Warrior

Posted by: peter.9024

peter.9024

tldr.:

could you explain your condition cleanse combo in more detail please? wanna learn!

He probably just runs 3 shouts + soldier runes (4 condi)
Shrug it off (2 condi)
Warhorn mastery (2 condi)

That’s assuming he’s not running healing shouts.

Skullclamp

in Warrior

Posted by: Fenrir.5493

Fenrir.5493

Bunker warrior…. there is no such a thing.

“We also realize that we can make mistakes but we dont care because I HAVE THE POWAAA!!”

in Warrior

Posted by: ChaosDoom.8459

ChaosDoom.8459

There is. Only exist in wvw and in group that is more than 15.

Little Furry – Twin Terror of Crystal Desert
Guild KöMÉ – §Strength, Honour & Duty§

in Warrior

Posted by: Valin.4527

Valin.4527

Or in a tower on an AC?

I kid, I kid….

-A man of many Valins [KONG]

in Warrior

Posted by: Fenrir.5493

Fenrir.5493

There is. Only exist in wvw and in group that is more than 15.

A group that babysits the warrior so he can do anything, thats not bunkering its beign a unusefull beign that does nothing just sit there and preted he is usefull.

“We also realize that we can make mistakes but we dont care because I HAVE THE POWAAA!!”

in Warrior

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

guardian? slow? man love them insane speed when catching running enemies with zerker meditation build.

Well, getting to enemies is pretty easy with guardian, I agree.
But if you gotta make a run for it, there better be some critters around to teleport to, or you are pretty much screwed.
Warriors are shock troops, Jumping in and out of battle, while pinning down opponents and finishing them off, while Guardians are the heavy troops. First in, last out or not out at all.
I prefer a flexible playstyle, hence my obsession with greatsword rangers in pvp and my hammer+sword/shield warrior in wvw.
Get in, dish out the combos, get out.
Rinse, repeat. If someone tries to single you out, there is fear me and shield block to deal with them or short cd savage leap to get away.

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.