Improving Tactics

Improving Tactics

in Warrior

Posted by: Cygnus.6903

Cygnus.6903

Hi all!

First let me tell you that I am starting to believe warrior will become completely viable in all aspects of the game, not just for the pro’s. To make this happen sooner rather then later, and because I am a fan of the tactics trait line for something else then shouts, let’s try making it better.

The why:

It seems tactics is a traitline with some great traits, and others that just fail. If you desire to make a shout warrior you’ll be alright. But for the minor traits, only Determined Revival is close to OK, giving you 400 toughness while reviving. Especially in sPvP this is quite a bit, but warriors need to focus on themselves more. To me, this trait seems better suited for a guardian. The other two minor traits are just garbage, they actually get worse when you invest more into the traitline. Also, Vitality is probably the least important stat on any warrior due to the already huge base HP.

If you want something out of the traitline other then shouts, it’s just hardly worth investing 30 points into, unless you want another Master trait. Honestly, the inspiring battle standard is just lacking for a GM trait. For instance, mesmers get a very similar trait, Phantasmal Healing, which is a MASTER MINOR trait (only 15 points to spend), and gives you and allies regen when close to phantasms. This is not to bash on mesmers, I love that class as well, but it’s just to compare.

In other words, the minor traits and half the Grandmaster traits are plain lacking, and should be altered.

Most people view warriors to be the ‘Master of Arms’ class of gw2. I fully agree. One of our best traits is Fast Hands. An issue we encounter when using this trait is the cooldown on weapon sigils. For instance, if you have Sigil of Battle on your main and Generosity on the secondary, swapping from main to secondary and swapping back again 5 seconds later (thanks to our wonderful trait) will not net you the 3 stacks of might, if you’re Generosity procced.

Alright, so here comes a suggestion to improve all this. No complaining without trying to make things better.

First, we take out the Inspiring Battle Standard trait and combine it with Inspiring Banners, opening up a Grandmaster trait slot. IMO banners are weak, this won’t make them even close to viable outside PvE. If there is complaining about this trait becoming too good, swap it out with the shouts cooldown reduction as a Master trait.

We fill the Grandmaster trait slot with ‘Seal of War’. This trait reduces cooldown on sigils by 50%.

This trait seems very fitting in a traitline called ‘tactics’. IMO it would not make warrior OP, but it would be worth investing in, especially along with fast hands. The best thing, you can devise all sorts of new builds revolving around this trait. Think about Sigil of Intelligence, Leeching or Ice/Hydromancy to name a few. You can go either way, offensive or defensive. This is mostly a defensive warrior buff though.

For the minor traits, I would like to see implemented something like the following.
Fortifying determination’ (Adept Minor trait): Gain 10 seconds of regeneration when your health reaches 75% (30 sec CD)
Medic’ (Master Minor trait): Healing effectiveness is increased by 20% for 10 seconds after reaching 50% health (30 sec CD)
Immunity’ (Grandmaster Minor trait): 8% chance to convert incoming conditions into boons.

The first and third one are traits seen on other classes in the Vitality trait line. The second one is just something that seems fitting for a class that needs to survive on the frontlines due to being mostly melee.

Thoughts?

I only state my opinion unless stated otherwise.
Hulk Roaming Montages/Build Vids
I always rage but never quit.

Improving Tactics

in Warrior

Posted by: Superkav.5012

Superkav.5012

I absolutely agree that the minor traits in the Tactics line are completely and utterly useless. I would love to see them changed!

Improving Tactics

in Warrior

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

1. First, we take out the Inspiring Battle Standard trait and combine it with Inspiring Banners, opening up a Grandmaster trait slot. IMO banners are weak, this won’t make them even close to viable outside PvE. If there is complaining about this trait becoming too good, swap it out with the shouts cooldown reduction as a Master trait.
  2. We fill the Grandmaster trait slot with ‘Seal of War’. This trait reduces cooldown on sigils by 50%.
  3. Fortifying determination’ (Adept Minor trait): Gain 10 seconds of regeneration when your health reaches 75% (30 sec CD)
  4. Medic’ (Master Minor trait): Healing effectiveness is increased by 20% for 10 seconds after reaching 50% health (30 sec CD)
  5. Immunity’ (Grandmaster Minor trait): 8% chance to convert incoming conditions into boons.
  1. I think you’re pushing your luck there. I can agree on combining the two banner related traits, but not on pushing Inspiring Battle Standard in any form to Master.
  2. Yeah, that’s way overpowered. Think stuff like Sigil of Battle. 3 Stacks of Might for 20 seconds… and you want to give it a 4.5 second cooldown? Great, that’ll turn Warriors in PvE so ridiculous that you’ll end up with a 30% damage nerf on everything because we just went from having a consistent 5 stacks to having 17. Throw in even a tiny bone (such as Rune of Hoelbrak) and you’re talking 20+ stacks with any weaponset. That’s batkitten insane. And I think that it would also make Sigil of Generosity (transfer 1 condition on crit to foe, 10s cooldown) too powerful.
  3. Sure, why not.
  4. I don’t think that this would work too well. For example, currently a 3 stage Healing Surge heals for 9820 base. Add in 20% and that’s 11,784. Now, that’s about 65% of our HP. So the end result is that *unless we have less than 1/3 of our HP left, it would give you a full heal. And I’m not sure how it would go over with Healing Signet, either.
  5. Yeah, that’s batkitten insane as well.

While I agree that the minor traits in Tactics are some of the most useless in the game, I sure as hell don’t want to see them buffed this much. I’ll be honest, I would predict that a Warrior with x/x/20/30/x, with Sigil of Generosity, Berserker Stance and Mending could absolutely ridicule all condi specs.

(edited by Olba.5376)

Improving Tactics

in Warrior

Posted by: Manijin.3428

Manijin.3428

I agree with the Banner Merge idea. It’d make warrior actually capable of REALLY awesome support. You could go Banner Regen AND Shout Heals, and the combination of those two might actually make us feasible bunkers, not to mention providing FANTASTIC group support.

I don’t like the idea of reducing the cooldown on sigils, though. Sigils exist as a separate mechanism from class mechanics, even if they’re designed to synergize well. Rather, I think some defensive benefits for weapon swapping might be in order. Heck, maybe something cool like “You and nearby allies gain 3 seconds on vigor when you swap weapons”, or maybe “Nearby Allies gain 3 seconds of vigor when affected by one of your shouts”, on 10 second cooldowns or something like that, once again reinforcing warrior mechanics associated with leadership while providing more indirect means of party survival that make sense with the tree.

Some of the lower traits need to be changed around as well. Reviving 10% faster is nice in certain situations, but you generally don’t see the difference except for super-clutch situations, which aren’t frequent enough, imo, to warrant this feature. It should be rolled into the “The warrior and allies gain might on revive” trait. Instead, lets focus more on boons and team support: If you want something cool on revive, how about stunning or dazing nearby enemies for 1-2 seconds when you revive someone? Maybe we could go for granting nearby allies 3 seconds of stability when you plant your banner? Or, let’s give a boon to other skills to make them support oriented: Maybe physical skills apply 5 stacks of vulnerability to targets they hit; maybe Stances grants a lesser version of their benefit to nearby allies when you use them; maybe signets keep their effects after being used, or the use effects are increased; the list goes on.

Improving Tactics

in Warrior

Posted by: Dand.8231

Dand.8231

Tactics 25: Rallying Cry: Whenever an ally within range 600 rallies, you let loose a rallying cry, which grants nearby allies Regen.

Improving Tactics

in Warrior

Cygnus.6903

1. I think you’re pushing your luck there. I can agree on combining the two banner related traits, but not on pushing Inspiring Battle Standard in any form to Master.
  2. Yeah, that’s way overpowered. Think stuff like Sigil of Battle. 3 Stacks of Might for 20 seconds… and you want to give it a 4.5 second cooldown? Great, that’ll turn Warriors in PvE so ridiculous that you’ll end up with a 30% damage nerf on everything because we just went from having a consistent 5 stacks to having 17. Throw in even a tiny bone (such as Rune of Hoelbrak) and you’re talking 20+ stacks with any weaponset. That’s batkitten insane. And I think that it would also make Sigil of Generosity (transfer 1 condition on crit to foe, 10s cooldown) too powerful.
  3. Sure, why not.
  4. I don’t think that this would work too well. For example, currently a 3 stage Healing Surge heals for 9820 base. Add in 20% and that’s 11,784. Now, that’s about 65% of our HP. So the end result is that *unless we have less than 1/3 of our HP left, it would give you a full heal. And I’m not sure how it would go over with Healing Signet, either.
  5. Yeah, that’s batkitten insane as well.

While I agree that the minor traits in Tactics are some of the most useless in the game, I sure as hell don’t want to see them buffed this much. I’ll be honest, I would predict that a Warrior with x/x/20/30/x, with Sigil of Generosity, Berserker Stance and Mending could absolutely ridicule all condi specs.

1. I disagree. Again, look at phantasmal healing for instance. It is a very similar trait that you can get for only 15 points, without having to spend a major trait slot. Regen is regen. You can argue that phantasms die fast and banners don’t. Then I’ll just say banners are stationary and phantasms aren’t. Banners are utility and phantasms aren’t. The list goes on.

2. I can see some problems with the suggestion on Seal of War, sure. Main reason I put down 50% is because I want people to think about it. You are, so let’s improve it before it is even implemented (if ever, lol). You can make it something like 30%.

Battle would indeed become very strong, but just halfing cooldown on it wouldn’t increase stacks from 5 to 17…
And spending 30 points into 1 traitline (and being forced another 15 into Disc for this effect) that boosts vitality doesn’t increase your damage. That would somewhat counter the ‘OPness’.
Generosity would definitely become very strong as well.

Say for arguments sake we forget about it, is there something else you would like in this slot?

3. At least we agree on something

4. I might misunderstand here, do you think this is UP or OP?

5. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Transmute

Now, I personally have little to no experience with playing engineers, so I am not very familiar with their condition removal abilities. But this trait would not be OP in any way on a warrior.
You would convert less then 1 out of every 12 incoming condi’s. OMG.
Besides, it would give people who invest in Tactics a way to deal with conditions a bit better without having to spec 20 in defense and use lemongrass.

Improving Tactics

in Warrior

Posted by: Beachead.4127

Beachead.4127

Whatever the ideas are, the tactics line needs some help. It clearly has the worst set of traits yet for WvW you have to trait into it.

Ullrok – Warrior
Ullrom – Mesmer

Improving Tactics

in Warrior

Cygnus.6903

I agree with the Banner Merge idea. It’d make warrior actually capable of REALLY awesome support. You could go Banner Regen AND Shout Heals, and the combination of those two might actually make us feasible bunkers, not to mention providing FANTASTIC group support.

I don’t like the idea of reducing the cooldown on sigils, though. Sigils exist as a separate mechanism from class mechanics, even if they’re designed to synergize well. Rather, I think some defensive benefits for weapon swapping might be in order. Heck, maybe something cool like “You and nearby allies gain 3 seconds on vigor when you swap weapons”, or maybe “Nearby Allies gain 3 seconds of vigor when affected by one of your shouts”, on 10 second cooldowns or something like that, once again reinforcing warrior mechanics associated with leadership while providing more indirect means of party survival that make sense with the tree.

Some of the lower traits need to be changed around as well. Reviving 10% faster is nice in certain situations, but you generally don’t see the difference except for super-clutch situations, which aren’t frequent enough, imo, to warrant this feature. It should be rolled into the “The warrior and allies gain might on revive” trait. Instead, lets focus more on boons and team support: If you want something cool on revive, how about stunning or dazing nearby enemies for 1-2 seconds when you revive someone? Maybe we could go for granting nearby allies 3 seconds of stability when you plant your banner? Or, let’s give a boon to other skills to make them support oriented: Maybe physical skills apply 5 stacks of vulnerability to targets they hit; maybe Stances grants a lesser version of their benefit to nearby allies when you use them; maybe signets keep their effects after being used, or the use effects are increased; the list goes on.

Really great ideas. I like the ‘effect on swap’ idea in particular.

Thing is, it needs to be a great effect for me to want to spec that heavily into tactics without going shout.

Improving Tactics

in Warrior

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

1. . I disagree. Again, look at phantasmal healing for instance. It is a very similar trait that you can get for only 15 points, without having to spend a major trait slot. Regen is regen. You can argue that phantasms die fast and banners don’t. Then I’ll just say banners are stationary and phantasms aren’t. Banners are utility and phantasms aren’t. The list goes on.
  2. I can see some problems with the suggestion on Seal of War, sure. Main reason I put down 50% is because I want people to think about it. You are, so let’s improve it before it is even implemented (if ever, lol). You can make it something like 30%.
    Battle would indeed become very strong, but just halfing cooldown on it wouldn’t increase stacks from 5 to 17…
    And spending 30 points into 1 traitline (and being forced another 15 into Disc for this effect) that boosts vitality doesn’t increase your damage. That would somewhat counter the ‘OPness’.
    Generosity would definitely become very strong as well.
  3. I might misunderstand here, do you think this is UP or OP?
  4. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Transmute
  1. I don’t think that looking at other classes is a valid argument.
  2. My main point was that currently, in PvE, if you run SoR and FGJ, you get an average of 5 stacks of Might. If you were able to halve the cooldown on Sigil of Battle, you would see tons of people get it, because it would have ridiculous synergy with Fast Hands. Add in the requirement of 30 into Tactics and you actually end up with a ton of Might really quickly. FGJ and SoR, with a swap at start of combat and you’re already at 14 stacks. 5 seconds later, you would be at 17. 10 seconds into the battle and it’s 20. And unlike Forceful Greatsword, it’s not some crap that just goes away. On average, you’d be looking at:
    • 3.9 stacks from FGJ
    • 3.25 stacks from SoR
    • 15.6 stacks from Sigil of Battle
      Of course, due to the stacks that they actually give and the durations, in actual play it would be more like 17-20 stacks.
  1. I’m just worried that it might make us too tanky.
  2. I know that it’s a low chance, but I don’t think that we need any more condi removal for a while. Plus, condi removal needs to be reliable or it’s wasted. You can already do amazing things with Cleansing Ire, Restorative Strength, Dogged March and Mending.

(edited by Olba.5376)

Improving Tactics

in Warrior

Posted by: Yaki.9563

Yaki.9563

Whatever the ideas are, the tactics line needs some help. It clearly has the worst set of traits yet for WvW you have to trait into it.

What? It has great traits. Only the minor traits are horrible.