Is HS really all that's keeping War afloat?

in Warrior

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

A common arguement I see from players defending HS is that Warriors need it to stay viable. If that’s the case, why do most Warriors I know in game seem to favour Healing Surge?

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in Warrior

Posted by: Wraith.8916

Wraith.8916

If most the warriors you know are using healing surge over HS then why all the delicious QQ tears over HS? And what the point of this post other than to troll?

in Warrior

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

If most the warriors you know are using healing surge over HS then why all the delicious QQ tears over HS? And what the point of this post other than to troll?

Mostly general curiousity honestly.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in Warrior

Posted by: Zagerus.8675

Zagerus.8675

I think it has to do with how it feels for certain play styles and situations. Like the reason I use Healing Signet is because it allows me to kite away from enemies around buildings/objects and sustain through condition damage when I need to get away from pressure. I can kite away for a moment, regen up some and then jump back in to the fight. The downside is that if I’m getting bursted in plain sight, the signet isn’t going to do much. Healing Surge would be more effective there for that spike heal.

in Warrior

Posted by: KarlusDavius.1024

KarlusDavius.1024

It’s our only form of sustain. We have minimal if not near zero viable builds that give us defensive boons. Guadiana have healing and blocking, protection etc. all of which mitigate huge amounts of damage when you stack the numbers up. Thief can vaporise, recover and re-engage. Mesmer can cloak, avoid and use deception to avoid damage very well. They also have access to a lot of boons.

I won’t go into all classes, but warriors skills are very offensive focused. Yes we have a few skills which are defensive, traits can be pushed into a defensive area however it can also be in favour of offence. The new healing skill is different but it just doesn’t offer enough raw numbers to be able to stand upto signets cohesion with the viable builds we have and the sustain is gives warriors.

Healing signet is very easily countered. Poison and burst with clever, not complex but clever, play will counter it easily. Healing surge is good for the opposite. Massive numbers if at full adrenaline will counter burst however sustain is lost. It’s for a different play style altogether. One based around mobility and avoidance, not “sit in this pocket” kind of play.

Cmdr. Kiro Heimdahl
Warrior
Far Shiverpeaks

in Warrior

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

No.

/15char.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

in Warrior

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

Because, HS doesnt work any better then healing surge when you have none healing power and toughness/ zerker

any none cc build zerker take HS basically asking to get killed right away.

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

in Warrior

Posted by: Yaki.9563

Yaki.9563

If not HS then what exactly was it that buffed warriors up so much in the same patch that the HS changes came about? Because they went from being decent to being awesome with that one patch. I’m guessing it’s actually HS and everyone who says otherwise is in denial.

in Warrior

Posted by: Juba.8406

Juba.8406

how about you play warrior and see for yourself.

i’m one of the few warriors that don’t put at least 15pts in defense to get Adrenal Health and my only sustain is HS and i tell you HS alone is not enough.

in Warrior

Posted by: Keiel.7489

Keiel.7489

Sorry there are ignorant people on both side of the fence about HS. If we are basing it on 0 Healing Power and the fight last at 25sec or more HealSig will out heal HealSurge passively, but the healing isn’t that much better about 2k~ HP healed over 30 sec, which is HealSurg’s CD.

If you get bursted or focused, HealSurge would be better for survival, so long as you don’t get interrupted while casting it. Another weakness of Heal Surge is poison stackers (D/D thief auto chain for example), where heal surge you can be picky with when you use your heal, healsig can’t.

As for other conditions, you can’t compare them, they are not directly hindering your heal sig’s job. if you tak 2k damage from bleeds over 5 sec then heal sig have healed you about 2k damage over that same time. Instead of taking 4k damage.

Most of the issue is that most Heal Sig players also use other for of HP regen or shout heals, or simply just really tanky. If a skilled warrior swapped out his heal sig for heal surge, using the same spec. Chances are the fight won’t change too much unless you were fighting a Heal sig warrior and it came down to the last 1-2k HP.

[DONE]

in Warrior

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

I highly doubt Healing Signet alone is what made Warriors really strong. More likely were the changes to some of the stances (namely Berserker’s Stance) and traits in the same patch.

Healing Signet is a part of it, no doubt, but it alone isn’t why Warriors are on top in every format of play.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Warrior

Flissy.4093

how about you play warrior and see for yourself.

i’m one of the few warriors that don’t put at least 15pts in defense to get Adrenal Health and my only sustain is HS and i tell you HS alone is not enough.

Adrenal Health is seriously weak. The investment is for the 20 point trait Cleansing Ire, not for Adrenal Health itself.

Light Up the Darkness

in Warrior

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

I wouldn’t say that it’s everything that’s keeping Warr playable, but if I had to list the reasons why warrior is so good right now, I’d put HS on the top of the list.

Which is why I’ve been suggesting a 20 HPS nerf to HS, at least to start… ANet needs to get better at balancing by “evolution, not revolution”.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in Warrior

Posted by: Phillip.6485

Phillip.6485

PvE wise, Signet is good to use – to a certain build. It’s a matter of give and take. This shouldn’t effect anyone really so none should complain.

PvP wise, if you have a problem vs. HS Warriors, please quit playing.

in Warrior

Posted by: korelg.7862

korelg.7862

I’ve used HS since i got it at lvl 2 I think, never went back, I just love the heal over time, the perfect heal for a high toughness build

in Warrior

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

Warriors were redesigned for people that cannot play the game so healing signet is a must (casuals do not have time to learn how to heal).

And now you give us video with your high-skill duels against current metabuilds without using HS.
Oh wait, you can’t. Trolls cannot into proofs.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

in Warrior

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

It’s more so the fact that people realized that heal sig is extremely strong with adrenal health and mango pie in builds that have high toughness.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

in Warrior

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

A common arguement I see from players defending HS is that Warriors need it to stay viable. If that’s the case, why do most Warriors I know in game seem to favour Healing Surge?

It’s a combination of adrenal health+HS, and if they are traited for it the banner regen It allows warriors to regen for amounts that are on par with most bunker builds….This is without the warrior doing anything at all but their normal rotation.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in Warrior

Posted by: Kagamiku.9731

Kagamiku.9731

Adrenal health isn’t even good. At its strongest it heals for 120HPS. Which is never the case because the instance someone has three bars of adrenaline, they should be using their burst skill…So in reality, it’s more like 80HPS on average. Unless people are using that dumb bunker/banner of defense/healing/vigor build. Which is pretty bad in my opinion, and I’ve owned it on multiple occasions since it became “popular.” It does terrible damage and can be solod if you do decent damage yourself.

…And Banners…They should stay in PvE…Unless it’s Warbanner….And Signet of Rage is just too good to not use in most cases.

(edited by Kagamiku.9731)

in Warrior

Posted by: Gamgee.8612

Gamgee.8612

I doubt that people put in defense to get adrenal health. I have it in most of my builds but that’s because I usually go far in the defense traitline. It’s just a bonus.

For my playstyle HS is great atm. It’s a bit dull sometimes, I never use the active. However I think that Surge might be very good in my build atm, especially with the “Heals remove conditions” trait. Don’t know what it’s called.

A personal change I would love to have is on HS, like every 30 seconds it start’s on say 12K HP active heal, but every second ~400 heal goes away from it and in the end you have nothing. That would build up for awesome traits and tactics. Active would have a longer CD, something similar to Surge. That means you would be dead if you use it when you don’t need it or it doesn’t heal enough. For bad players it would be hard to time it, but good players could be super with it.

N I M S – Warrior of Judge Legends[JDGE]

(edited by Gamgee.8612)

in Warrior

Posted by: Mepheles.2087

Mepheles.2087

Been seeing a lot more bunker condition warriors the few times I Choose to SPvP, where they would sit on a node with regen banner up and we would pelt them for like 1m before we started to see hp drop unless we had someone with poison with us at the time… /shrug

Gates of Madness

in Warrior

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

It’s a combination of adrenal health+HS, and if they are traited for it the banner regen It allows warriors to regen for amounts that are on par with most bunker builds….This is without the warrior doing anything at all but their normal rotation.

Except throwing 50 points into bunker lines and sacrifice 1 utility for banner, aka making bunker build. So, bunker build can have high survivability? Wow, thats something new, really.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

in Warrior

Posted by: Feandro.5264

Feandro.5264

Because healing signet over 31 seconds (CD and Cast time of Healing Surge) restores 2300 hp over Healing Surge. Then on top of that, you don’t have to worry about getting your heal interrupted. Healing Surge is better for taking spikes of damage where you go from 100 down to 20 then will take another 50 within the near future. Healing Signet is honestly a crutch, the regen is so blatantly overpowered that it outheals other classes entirely where classes which have natural HoT are punished by their low HP pools.

(edited by Feandro.5264)

in Warrior

Flissy.4093

Because healing signet over 31 seconds (CD and Cast time of Healing Surge) restores 2300 hp over Healing Surge. Then on top of that, you don’t have to worry about getting your heal interrupted. Healing Surge is better for taking spikes of damage where you go from 100 down to 20 then will take another 50 within the near future. Healing Signet is honestly a crutch, the regen is so blatantly overpowered that it outheals other classes entirely where classes which have natural HoT are punished by their low HP pools.

That’s a problem by people playing sustained damage builds. HS is a counter to that – a bursty build will render HS useless.

Blame the meta, not the skill.

Light Up the Darkness

in Warrior

Posted by: Lumines.3916

Lumines.3916

Much like how Dhuumfire is the most complained about trait for Necromancers even though it’s not even that good (Terror is what is bursting you fools!), Healing Signet is but the scapegoat.

Berserker Stance and Cleansing Ire are the two things that made Warriors super viable in my view.

in Warrior

Posted by: Mightymealworm.8409

Mightymealworm.8409

Much like how Dhuumfire is the most complained about trait for Necromancers even though it’s not even that good (Terror is what is bursting you fools!), Healing Signet is but the scapegoat.

Berserker Stance and Cleansing Ire are the two things that made Warriors super viable in my view.

This. Anet removed what it had originally designed to be a worriors weak spot, condition removal. HS is really strong in the right builds, but it is just a piece of the warrior 2.0

in Warrior

Phillip.6485

Except throwing 50 points into bunker lines and sacrifice 1 utility for banner, aka making bunker build. So, bunker build can have high survivability? Wow, thats something new, really.

Bingo.

in Warrior

Posted by: Feandro.5264

Feandro.5264

That’s a problem by people playing sustained damage builds. HS is a counter to that – a bursty build will render HS useless.

But at the same time, Warriors have two very potent Anti Burst skills Shield 5 and Endure Pain. Warriors are not unstoppable as people complaining about them say that they are, but they are the masters of inaction. They get such a huge net passive power that it feels overbearing for people to face.

in Warrior

Posted by: yanoch.7051

yanoch.7051

I’m seeing more healing surge user in WvW of late, in the end people need adrenaline and a well placed healing surge give as much HP as signet plus full adrenaline. The great thing about warrior is that we have acces to many builds. I think all class should be able to do the same and not just simply play the flavor of the month build.

Heiann – NSP

(edited by yanoch.7051)

in Warrior

Flissy.4093

But at the same time, Warriors have two very potent Anti Burst skills Shield 5 and Endure Pain. Warriors are not unstoppable as people complaining about them say that they are, but they are the masters of inaction. They get such a huge net passive power that it feels overbearing for people to face.

Of course! how could I forget the good old 30/30/30/30/30 build with more than 2 weapon sets? Silly me.

Light Up the Darkness

in Warrior

Posted by: karmaepsilon.2894

karmaepsilon.2894

Of course! how could I forget the good old 30/30/30/30/30 build with more than 2 weapon sets? Silly me.

Don’t forget the 12 skill slots to run Endure Pain, Berserker Stance, Balanced Stance, Dolyak Signet, and Battle Standard along with Signet of Rage

I’d never argue that the Warrior isn’t ridiculously versatile with so many different possible builds I’m often at a loss as to what to roll out. Especially since I was previously running GS/Hammer and now the Hammer part of that needs replacing. But saying that the Warrior can put all the awesome things about it into one build is a bit disingenuous. If I want survivability I run the risk of people escaping without the initial burst of damage off of Unsuspecting Foe Backbreaker/Hundred Blades post Earthshaker. I’ve been working on Bladetrail → Savage Leap →Final Thrust/Dual Strike (if I want to risk ditching the survivability of Shield) but that can be dicey if I’m not getting enough Condition Damage in, which means sacrificing big damage. Every warrior build I look at is sacrificing something else that Warrior can do well. Direct Damage, CD, Mobility, Survivability…pick 2, maybe 3 if you’re using a Greatsword and default half decent mobility.

in Warrior

Phillip.6485

But saying that the Warrior can put all the awesome things about it into one build is a bit disingenuous.

Not just ‘a bit’ disingenuous. It’s a firggin lie. It’s taking the stupid whinney schmucks and their never ending BS and doing something just to shut them the eff up. Thing is, they don’t do that, and never will.

in Warrior

Posted by: Titanimite.2534

Titanimite.2534

Thats absolute crap, all I ever hear is whine whine whine about Warrior I am sick of it.

Warrior is an average class with average DPS other classes out class warrior in many ways…in PvP n WvW they bring stun which are easily dodged (if you can see them coming you suck) and buffs. PvE they bring buffs and high DPS without group support and hard to mess up in general.

But all the awesome things into a single build? not even close, only class that can come close is guard and ele but that is even a stretch.

Sides you want to talk about Healing Signet? What about Guardian’s built in class mechanic to heal? What about Signet of the Ether on an already OP class? What about Engi A.E.D that is so OP? And you whine about a substandard heal when compared to other classes…you sicken me

(edited by Titanimite.2534)

in Warrior

Posted by: Serious Thought.5394

Serious Thought.5394

Not sure if you wanted the answer or just to see people argue over whether or not Warrior is op, but heres my answer as far as I can see:

Healing Signet allows Warrior to focus fully on output while minimizing downtime. You are constantly getting healed over time (HoT) which sucks against burst builds ,in general, but you don’t have to back away like you would to get a burst heal (Healing Surge) because that hp is coming back to you while you put pressure on the burst allowing you to get berserker build with far less risk. People claim HSig is op because they don’t understand it’s downside- less burst strikes.

Healing Surge forces the Warrior into a “second wind” kind of build. Your hp will not regen (assuming no outside heals and no boons) naturally which sticks you into backing up to heal so you can burst strike(Eviscerate great for this) in an attempt (not always successful) to cow the target into defensive play so that you can have a chance to win. People claim HSurg is op as well because of the above- they don’t realize that its a one time heal in most fights (1v1 only) and all you have to do is crit once to go past and dodge the burst hit—-most classes have a roll trait that lets them fight against this specifically. Guardians are only ones that don’t b/c roll=heal not damage.

HSig=HSurg in the way people claim its op. HSig scares players because ,despite hard efforts, they can’t see past your hp bar nor are they willing to try and gauge your adrenaline. HSig sacrifices high end burst to keep steady dps. HSurg scares players because they CANT SEE PAST THE HP BAR and they see it go down, then go up and then see their hp ,only, go down 10-25% from your burst skill (minimum, 9/10 second cd iirc).

Hope that helps.

Worst Thief in the world, yes I am.

in Warrior

Posted by: Sollith.3502

Sollith.3502

What I don’t get about the HS is why the passive effect is so much better than the active? I mean who actually uses the active effect?

The active effect heals so little compared to the heal over time that it’s not worth ever using; just 10 seconds of the passive effect heals as much as the active. Why would you want to sacrifice another 10 seconds without any sort of healing just to heal what the passive does it in half the cool down time? If you can’t kite for a couple of seconds while attacking; you have bigger issues than healing.

If they ever did anything to HS I would think it would be like a 20% nerf to it’s passive and like a 30% increase to it’s active.

P.S. Adrenaline isn’t that hard to build…

in Warrior

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

Its the combination of 400 hp/sec healing signet , 360 hp/3sec adrenal health and cleansing ire that got warriors from bleh to OMGWTFOP within one patch because you dont need any sustain stats(HPow) and only need 20 into defense for full sustain.

in Warrior

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

I think what is keeping my warrior a float in WvW is Cleansing Ire, Dogged March, Melandru runes, and – Condi Food. HS has really nothing to do with it.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

in Warrior

Posted by: Mightymealworm.8409

Mightymealworm.8409

I think what is keeping my warrior a float in WvW is Cleansing Ire, Dogged March, Melandru runes, and – Condi Food. HS has really nothing to do with it.

Yes, the big change in sustain was mostly due to the condi removal, HS was just the icing on the cake. Warriors were initially designed to be weak to conditions, and need help from others to remove them effectively. Now that shortcoming has been effectively erased. Not reduced, eliminated. Warriors currently have excellet self condi cleansing options and even some team condi cleansing support. Even the change to HS helps sustain against condi more than burst. Now the problem is we have the rest of the classes with their class mechanics weakness intact. Should those weaknesses be erased as well? Should warriors be given given a new weakness? Should the old one return? I don’t know.

(edited by Mightymealworm.8409)

in Warrior

Posted by: Serious Thought.5394

Serious Thought.5394

Class checklist: Warrior
Damage:yes
Tankiness:yes
Mobility:yes
Sustain:yes
Melt:yes
Invulnerability:yes
Undectability:No
Self-heal:yes
Instant Gank possibility:yes
Leech:No
High Population of users:yes
High population of skilled users: unknown
…did I miss anything? XD This class is almost maxed out. (humor intended with mild seriousness)

Serious note( no offense intended nor is this an attack- just an observation)- the classes (other than war, war needs a break from the class change treadmill for nerfs AND buffs) need to be fixed back up. Second set of “op” classes are Guardian and Mesmer (not sure where to rate engineer, so will put here). Everything else is falling behind. Current class “op” (used in light way, meant as- almost perfectly built) ranking(and yes, skilled players can jump the ladder and vice versa, this is just an average):
Warrior=Mesmer
Guardian=Necromancer=Engineer(? to engineer being here, not sure where to place)
Ranger
Elementalist=Thief… maybe Thief is not as good or maybe better.

This is not entirely based on their ability to beat class ABC, but on their ability to adapt and be diverse, as well as their ability to fight , as the term goes, “being on cooldown”. Right now, anything below Necromancer has a CD to almost all builds, some of which are quite high (90 seconds for some I have seen). I don’t really care if this means they need to L2P or whatever, but the fact the only build I see with a high cd on War is banners (which really goes to about 20 seconds, and if using regen 0) and on Mesmer highest I see is 22( some kind of condi/confuse build i saw).
Again, L2P aside this is true. The fastest build I have seen on ranger is about 25-30 second cd to get best results, fastest on elementalist is unknown as they have become more and more situational with utilites, and thief is at 36 (venom traited)…
Of course, I could be completely wrong in which case I ask to be corrected with details so I know where my mistakes lie.
Thanks for reading text wall.

Worst Thief in the world, yes I am.

in Warrior

Posted by: Troll.4237

Troll.4237

Warriors were redesigned for people that cannot play the game so healing signet is a must (casuals do not have time to learn how to heal).

And now you give us video with your high-skill duels against current metabuilds without using HS.
Oh wait, you can’t. Trolls cannot into proofs.

That is not possible.

Warriors never run without HS.

in Warrior

Troll.4237

Thats absolute crap, all I ever hear is whine whine whine about Warrior I am sick of it.

Warrior is an average class with average DPS other classes out class warrior in many ways…in PvP n WvW they bring stun which are easily dodged (if you can see them coming you suck) and buffs. PvE they bring buffs and high DPS without group support and hard to mess up in general.

But all the awesome things into a single build? not even close, only class that can come close is guard and ele but that is even a stretch.

Sides you want to talk about Healing Signet? What about Guardian’s built in class mechanic to heal? What about Signet of the Ether on an already OP class? What about Engi A.E.D that is so OP? And you whine about a substandard heal when compared to other classes…you sicken me

The only other class that can out dps the warrior is the thief. So its not average by any means.

I can assume youv’e never played any class in depth accept for warrior,correct?

in Warrior

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

The only other class that can out dps the warrior is the thief. So its not average by any means.

On a single target yes, the only class that can out DPS a warrior is a thief but a well play/built Ele an Necro can get some pretty insane AoE damage. Way greater than and Warrior or Thief can get if you add the damage of ever target hit.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

in Warrior

Troll.4237

On a single target yes, the only class that can out DPS a warrior is a thief but a well play/built Ele an Necro can get some pretty insane AoE damage. Greater than and Warrior or Thief can get.

“can.” That’s the issue warriors have much better access to high dps which makes them above average in terms of dps.

My point is that warriors do not have sucky dps by any means.

in Warrior

Posted by: Random.2795

Random.2795

If you like using rifles and have high vitality and armor, then Healing Signet becomes a powerful survivability tool (even more powerful if used in conjunction with Adrenal Health), otherwise use Healing Surge because the amount of damage and the frequency of damage you are going to take while in the frontlines will render the regeneration effect granted by those two abilities almost negligible.