Is Warrior any good in PvP?

in Warrior

Posted by: Butter.3024

Butter.3024

Hi I just started playing this game, and I have always like the warrior play style in every MMO. I wonder if warrior is any good in PvP in GW2? I heard a lot of complaint about how Thief and Mesner and Ele is OP and much better than warrior. Is it true?

in Warrior

Posted by: deathTouch.9706

deathTouch.9706

If you play a masterful warrior and are part of a hardcore 5v5 team, you can be useful and helpful in tpvp.

If you play a masterful necro or engie you can faceroll your way to victory and carry pretty much any team in pvp.

Warrior is still one of the (possibly the) least-useful tpvp class in the game.

Also fyi, ele is pretty awful in pvp now too, mesmer is only really useful for their portal and possibly condi bunker build, and thief does almost everything a warrior does, but better in most situations for pvp.

V deathTouch V – Warrior
STD [Scarlet Gave Me Harpies]
Maguuma

(edited by deathTouch.9706)

in Warrior

Butter.3024

So I should go with Engi instead?

in Warrior

deathTouch.9706

I mean I really enjoy my warrior, don’t get me wrong. But I have to work about 5x harder than someone running condi engie that is spamming healing turrets or spirit ranger (lol…) to get the same mileage for my team.

V deathTouch V – Warrior
Maguuma

in Warrior

Butter.3024

I mean I really enjoy my warrior, don’t get me wrong. But I have to work about 5x harder than someone running condi engie that is spamming healing turrets or spirit ranger (lol…) to get the same mileage for my team.

So Thief / Engineer it is? Is warrior just that bad? ;(

in Warrior

deathTouch.9706

It got recent buffs but it’s still getting rocked from all the generally-skilless AOE condition-spamming builds that are running rampant in pvp right now.

V deathTouch V – Warrior
Maguuma

in Warrior

Butter.3024

It got recent buffs but it’s still getting rocked from all the generally-skilless AOE condition-spamming builds that are running rampant in pvp right now.

Just tell which class is great for pvp already T_T

in Warrior

deathTouch.9706

I would say necro, engie, spirit ranger, guard and thief are all solid.

Honestly I don’t think war would be a good fit for you in GW2, you sorta have to be ready to face adversity with every GW2 patch.

V deathTouch V – Warrior
Maguuma

in Warrior

Butter.3024

in Warrior

Butter.3024

in Warrior

Posted by: Ashanor.5319

Ashanor.5319

Hope maybe? All you have to do to see warrior is not strong for tPvP is look at how many warriors are actually in the tournament that is currently being run.

in Warrior

Posted by: dooger.2640

dooger.2640

go try it. it will take what 30 seconds to set up build and runes?

in Warrior

Posted by: JoakimFA.4713

JoakimFA.4713

Warrior’s aren’t bad per say, but they still aren’t the best of shape at this time.

Skull Cracker build seems to be what everyone and their mothers are running now adays. While not a bad build, its not as OP as people are making it out to be.

I dunno, if you want to make a class that’s strong at the moment, consider Necromancer, Guardian or Engi.

Yoshioka [YUI] | Sea of Sorrows | Human Warrior. And a good looking one at that.
My Longbow tPvP Guide: http://tinyurl.com/Longbow-tPvP (out of date)

in Warrior

Posted by: Fenrir.5493

Fenrir.5493

Warriors are the worst pvp class at the moment, if you are new to this game you will need to learn a lot of things before you really know why is this, for now you should trust people, warrior for pvp right now is not a good option, you can be carried by another profession, and learn game mechanics.

But if you like so much the warriors then play it, but expect the worse when you enter pvp, first the class, and second your inexperience at playing and building.

Also one thing is pvp and another is WvW, in pvp everyone gets fair equips and lvl, no one has better anything than anyone, its like when you play a private server of WoW for example.

WvW is another area where gear matters and you should get better gear and foods etc to gain advantages, so this is not a balanced fair game, in this area warriors are a bit better because of the acces to a lot more equips, so they can stack more stats and compensate with that.

“We also realize that we can make mistakes but we dont care because I HAVE THE POWAAA!!”

(edited by Fenrir.5493)

in Warrior

Posted by: Puandro.3245

Puandro.3245

Warriors are the worst pvp class at the moment, if you are new to this game you will need to learn a lot of things before you really know why is this, for now you should trust people, warrior for pvp right now is not a good option, you can be carried by another profession, and learn game mechanics.

But if you like so much the warriors then play it, but expect the worse when you enter pvp, first the class, and second your inexperience at playing and building.

Also one thing is pvp and another is WvW, in pvp everyone gets fair equips and lvl, no one has better anything than anyone, its like when you play a private server of WoW for example.

WvW is another area where gear matters and you should get better gear and foods etc to gain advantages, so this is not a balanced fair game, in this area warriors are a bit better because of the acces to a lot more equips, so they can stack more stats and compensate with that.

Listen to this guy.

GW2 Videos WvW Ele/Thief/Mesmer/Ranger/Warrior PvP Videos
Jade Quarry – Team Savvy – #1 NA WvW Solo Guild

in Warrior

Posted by: alamore.1974

alamore.1974

Listen to this guy.

Ya i disagree. I play a warrior just for spvp and i do dam good. Im also not the best player my reaction time is slow and i make mistakes. But the majority of the time im on top of BOTH teams score wise. I also play a necro and mesmer spvp to. They are easy…boring…predictable…
My only issue on spvp is when i run into a zerg. 1v1 i either win or they run away( witch i count as a win) 1v2 some i win. Most i eventualy lose but i can usualy take one down with me or lower both their healt so my team can finish them off. Wat i usualy do when i run into multiple foes its drag the fight on till back up comes.

So id recomend playing war see if it fits your style. If you just wanna sit back and not do alot of multi tasking the a war is not for you. You will need to stay on you toes.

in Warrior

Posted by: galandor.1059

galandor.1059

Playing a warrior in tPVP is difficult, especially when you are without a premade. You can burst well yes, but your squishy and your mitigation vs. multiples is very poor vs. a Thief who can pump out huge DPS but if in a bind, can stealth up and run away, not to mention the abundance of blinds to help protect them, and the insane amount of dodges/ports. Warriors require a balance of aggressive and passive play, you really have to have a feel for when to push into a fight and drop your load, and when to play passively and stay out of the fray so you don’t get instantly dropped, and to do this properly you need a solid understanding of what your enemy is going to do before they even know themselves. That is why people are telling you it is difficult to play as a first class, this is my 3rd class and while I do fairly well on the class overall, there are still some times where I rush into a fight with someone and get dropped because I was unaware of a certain ability that won the entire fight for them. Personally I find the Warrior to be a very fun and challenging class to play, not challenging per say in the skill department, but challenging due to the natural constraints that are put on the class, and the current meta that is oriented around AOE condition spamming that makes living quite the feat in of itself.

Engineer:Warrior:Necromancer – Rank 39

in Warrior

Butter.3024

Playing a warrior in tPVP is difficult, especially when you are without a premade. You can burst well yes, but your squishy and your mitigation vs. multiples is very poor vs. a Thief who can pump out huge DPS but if in a bind, can stealth up and run away, not to mention the abundance of blinds to help protect them, and the insane amount of dodges/ports. Warriors require a balance of aggressive and passive play, you really have to have a feel for when to push into a fight and drop your load, and when to play passively and stay out of the fray so you don’t get instantly dropped, and to do this properly you need a solid understanding of what your enemy is going to do before they even know themselves. That is why people are telling you it is difficult to play as a first class, this is my 3rd class and while I do fairly well on the class overall, there are still some times where I rush into a fight with someone and get dropped because I was unaware of a certain ability that won the entire fight for them. Personally I find the Warrior to be a very fun and challenging class to play, not challenging per say in the skill department, but challenging due to the natural constraints that are put on the class, and the current meta that is oriented around AOE condition spamming that makes living quite the feat in of itself.

This is one of the better helpful posts in this thread i think.

So warrior is kinda bad atm huh? Even after the buffs :/

in Warrior

Posted by: galandor.1059

galandor.1059

This is one of the better helpful posts in this thread i think.

So warrior is kinda bad atm huh? Even after the buffs :/

Not bad, just difficult, in terms of ranking in the PVP setting atm they are sitting at the bottom tier with Mesmers and Ele’s according to much of the high level tPVP community.

Engineer:Warrior:Necromancer – Rank 39

in Warrior

Posted by: kekuso.5837

kekuso.5837

Use the skull crack build with some variations since you are new to the game – go 30 into Defense to get Endure Pain at 25% hp and Mobile Strikes in the Discipline line to break immobilizes with movement skills (you have 3-4 depending on your utils). Also helpful is auto-stability with Last Stand trait. These are your “training wheels” to keep you from getting insta-gibbed by zergs, backstab thieves, and cc happy engis. You can remove them gradually as you become more adept at reading your opponents.

Also, even with this build you may lose a lot since spvp is a team game. It’s all about points, not necessarily kills. Learn how to play each map at the same time as you learn your class.

in Warrior

Posted by: Shamon.2091

Shamon.2091

Hey Butter,

Loads of good advice here, just wanted to add that your best bet is to try out a few different classes for a week each. Pick 2-4 classes, look up a good build for each and go stomp on people. As you don’t need to level up to join tourneys and everyone gets access to the same stats you can really really mess around until you find a class that you enjoy most.

Unless you plan on getting together a serious team and going for the mid to high level ranks of pvp then I would just play what you like to play. Warrior, I find, is a really fun class to play and, if played with a boon stripper to take away stability, can be very effective and keeping the enemy team from stomping your teammates.

Good luck and have fun!

in Warrior

Posted by: Lunar Corporation.5720

Lunar Corporation.5720

Tournament wise… other damage dealing specs like thief or mesmer have quite a few more tricks and can burst likewise, and have great mobility for capping back point or pushing far.

But this leads me to a question… GS warrior+bulls rush+sword main hand is super mobility in game. no one will catch it. but I never see them going far point. guess Ill have to try it myself and see how well it may be.

Maybe a full cleric “inspiring battle standard” /heal signet warrior banking home could do some work too. those r my thoughts take them as you will.

If you’re going to do spvp I like a classic zerker build tyvm. 8 on 8, anything goes gl

Just call me Lunar

in Warrior

Posted by: Ambrecombe.4398

Ambrecombe.4398

I usualy find the problem to be in our sustain, unless you take Cleansing Ire and Healing Signet and run a more defensive build you will rely a lot on your utilities to survive. I personnaly run a Rampager 20/30/0/0/20 Rifle – Sword&Shield build, with Mending, Balanced Stance, Kick, Fear Me and Signet of Rage.

I use my interupt skills to take advantage of Distracting Strike and negate people skill by interupting them a lot. With exactly 100% Bleed duration, I can deal impressive amounts of damage with flurry. Fear me can support me at dealing damage with flurry while they are immobilised or I can use it defensively to rez my allies or just escape when I need to.

It is tricky sinds i’m realy fragile so I need to avoid as much damage as I can when I take down my foes, but if I get down and can take my ennemy with the remaining bleeds I can garentee a kill with Sweet Revenge.

Taking advantage of your short weapon switch is also very important, you can realy hurt people while they try to catch you by switching from range to melee. While I greatly recommend Longbow isntead for this, I prefered the Rifle in a matter of preferences.

But when you start mastering it, you can become a real pain for anyone careless enough to get caught by one of your interupts or Flurries.

in Warrior

Posted by: Uzul.6380

Uzul.6380

I love the longbow for holding caps. I’ve had success with it against Thiefs as I can use the aoes to keep the pressure on when they go invisible.

in Warrior

Posted by: zim.1398

zim.1398

I play a warrior in tpvp and wvw. I have no problems fulfilling my role, and that’s the problem which people are really complaining a about… They don’t know which build controls which role. In the past, I did have pvp issues with the warrior, it was run in, hundred blades someone and die. Since the warrior now has a bit more mobility and survival skills, it’s really easy. My Warrior is a “wedge buster”. Learn how to take on this role and you will have a blast. 1v1, I’m not so hot. Put me in a war environment, people hate to see me behind their front lines causing mass confusion.

in Warrior

Posted by: WhiteAndMilky.2514

WhiteAndMilky.2514

Wear Zerk gear, run cleansing ire and quick breathing. Faceoll the competition. It’s incredibly strong right now. Recommend lb + sword warhorn. Yak signet, endure pain.

I play all the things 80. Pew Pew Pew. Killin joor commanders.
4 Warriors, 3 Rangers, 3 Mesmers, 2 Engineers, 2 Guardians, and Necro, Thf, Ele
-Beastygate Beast Milk, OG BG Veteran Native