Is this build wrong ? (PvE)

in Warrior

Posted by: Scar.1793

Scar.1793

Hello,

I just got my warrior to lvl 80 after being bored with the Thief.
I wanted to have a decent build, I tried a condition build in PvE (S/S+LB) it was decent, but I wanted to see big numbers on my screen :P it didn’t have the feeling of a warrior.

What do you guys think about this build ? Note that I enjoy playing with both GS and sword, but I want to know if this build would be good because it has no ranged weapon, and sometimes bosses are so annoying in melee that you have no choice but to play with ranged weapons.

Here is the build :
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIAQNAsXRjkO9uBPGPMxBEkCNsKMPGCgoIUKmD7A-jgyAYfBRiCIlBgEBlALiGblsIas6aMlLgGeR127ioVDA-e

in Warrior

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Problem with PvE and 3200 armor is mobs will prioritize you a lot, so you’ll be spending more time running away than being useful.
If you want to go the “tank” route I suggest you get 30 def and Defy Pain plus shield offhand.
Also use Endure Pain active instead of SoF.

in Warrior

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

All of your sigils are conflicting timers…

in Warrior

Scar.1793

don’t mind about this sigils, I did that quickly. I’m mainly talking about the weapons and the traits. You sure their timers conflict ? Didn’t know that, so thanks for the information.

Edit: Come to think about it, the points in Discipline don’t seem that useful, maybe I should put them into Tactics?

(edited by Scar.1793)

in Warrior

Posted by: Nickthemoonwolf.1485

Nickthemoonwolf.1485

Actually, the build is fairly straight forward, not really my taste, but if you had to take the points out of discipline, I see you getting more use out of arms than tactics.

Lunar Fighter
Tarnished Coast, Hammer guy of [NOPE]

in Warrior

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

You want to see big numbers but you’re running a sword/axe tank build with defensive traits and knights gear? I don’t get it.

in Warrior

Player Character.9467

You want to see big numbers but you’re running a sword/axe tank build with defensive traits and knights gear? I don’t get it.

Banner of strength guang, banner of strength.

in Warrior

Posted by: wads.5730

wads.5730

this is the most garbage pve build i’ve ever seen

in Warrior

Scar.1793

Sigh, seems like I won’t get any decent advice here. Between the trolls and the jerks acting like elitists. I’m not a pro at making PvE build that’s why I came here : for advices to help me to make a good build for a gameplay I’m enjoying.
Guess I’ll have to look somewhere else to get constructive replies.

Thank you for those who did put some efforts into writting their answers (and also reading the OP).

It’s not a tank build, 20 points in Defense and a good amount of toughness because as you can see the build is focused on melee. However like someone said, with about ~3200 armor you can get the aggro depending on the mob IA. Not mention that your position (close or far from the mob) also plays a role in the aggro. The damage too.
So I wanted some toughness because I don’t want to play a full berserk who goes down from a single random hit, like those warriors I saw during the few time I went to dungeons with my Thief. And imo vitality feels less useful than toughness and armor.

Furthermore, as I said, I like playing with swords and greatsword. It’s just a matter of taste and not about being the propveboy with the maximum damage. No, I just like the gameplay that swords and greatswords offer me. And I used to play Warrior in beta and the beginning of the game and honestly playing another GS+A/Shield is just boring in my opinion. The problem is Anet who did not care about adding more weapon skills so we could make our own gameplay with whatever weapons (like GW1) without being judged by…. random people on the internet.

(edited by Scar.1793)

in Warrior

Posted by: Nickthemoonwolf.1485

Nickthemoonwolf.1485

Sigh, seems like I won’t get any decent advice here. Between the trolls and the jerks acting like elitists. I’m not a pro at making PvE build that’s why I came here : for advices to help me to make a good build for a gameplay I’m enjoying.
Guess I’ll have to look somewhere else to get constructive replies.

Thank you for those who did put some efforts into writting their answers (and also reading the OP).

It’s not a tank build, 20 points in Defense and a good amount of toughness because as you can see the build is focused on melee. However like someone said, with about ~3200 armor you can get the aggro depending on the mob IA. Not mention that your position (close or far from the mob) also plays a role in the aggro. The damage too.
So I wanted some toughness because I don’t want to play a full berserk who goes down from a single random hit, like those warriors I saw during the few time I went to dungeons with my Thief. And imo vitality feels less useful than toughness and armor.

Furthermore, as I said, I like playing with swords and greatsword. It’s just a matter of taste and not about being the propveboy with the maximum damage. No, I just like the gameplay that swords and greatswords offer me. And I used to play Warrior in beta and the beginning of the game and honestly playing another GS+A/Shield is just boring in my opinion. The problem is Anet who did not care about adding more weapon skills so we could make our own gameplay with whatever weapons (like GW1) without being judged by…. random people on the internet.

I gave you some decent advice about the traits. It seems that points into the arms tree would benefit you more than the others.

Lunar Fighter
Tarnished Coast, Hammer guy of [NOPE]

in Warrior

Scar.1793

I gave you some decent advice about the traits. It seems that points into the arms tree would benefit you more than the others.

And I thank you for that.
I’m actually running this setup now (GS+Rifle), it’s doing quite well. I get a bit of aggro, but then it’s mostly a matter of kitting with the rifle+dodges.
It’s just sad that swords can’t be as useful with a power build as GS.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIAQJARUjkOtwBPGPMxBAkCtqy84HgK6oAKmA-jwxAYfhsEYR0YrkFRjVXjpcXUt6FwyXEtaA-e

in Warrior

Player Character.9467

Kiting? but that means the bsos is moving…

in Warrior

Posted by: Intuneric.7652

Intuneric.7652

Its doing well at what ? Your amor and traits make no sense to me. Your thoughtness is too high and your crit damage is too low. if you want a good mix of damage and survability you can use soldier armor+ruby orbs, berserker weapons and berserker trinkets. That will drop your thoughtness to ~1300 and will up your crit damage to 70-80 with enough precision to make use of that crit damage.
As for traits why would you put points in defense ?! soldier’s armor + proper dodging is more than enough except maybe for high level fractals
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/83915-axemace-dps-build-for-dungeons-and-fractals-62513/
Have a read. And before a boss battle, where you know you’ll need range, just change either the gs or the axe for the rifle. But that is done before the boss encounter. Not all the way to it

(edited by Intuneric.7652)

in Warrior

Posted by: daros.3407

daros.3407

Its doing well at what ? Your amor and traits make no sense to me. Your thoughtness is too high and your crit damage is too low. if you want a good mix of damage and survability you can use soldier armor+ruby orbs, berserker weapons and berserker trinkets. That will drop your thoughtness to ~1300 and will up your crit damage to 70-80 with enough precision to make use of that crit damage.
As for traits why would you put points in defense ?!
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/83915-axemace-dps-build-for-dungeons-and-fractals-62513/
Have a read. And before a boss battle, where you know you’ll need range, just change either the gs or the axe for the rifle. But that is done before the boss encounter. Not all the way through it

Agree. There are situation when you are forced to go range for some reason but there is no problem to swich weapons before encounter.

in Warrior

Scar.1793

Kiting? but that means the bsos is moving…

Errr yessss, NPCs can move and follow players you know
To understand my point in a few steps :
low hp > get out of melee range > swap weapons > regen with the Healing Signet+Adrenal Health (it’s fast) > go back to melee

As for traits why would you put points in defense ?! soldier’s armor + proper dodging is more than enough except maybe for high level fractals
Have a read. And before a boss battle, where you know you’ll need range, just change either the gs or the axe for the rifle. But that is done before the boss encounter. Not all the way to it

How can 57 % crit chance be too low ? It means half my hits will be crits. And if I feel the need I can add SoF to get to 65%. (61% if I use berserker trinkets only but I use 1 soldier amulet for a bit of health)
Having high crit is ok, but I don’t feel the need to go with 70-80%. Just pop a Fury boon and that’s it.
What (again) people fail to realise here is that I greatly prefer being tough than going full berserker and lick the floor each fight like so many Warriors I’ve seen so far. (in less than 2 seconds). They waste time for the team and lose DPS. It’s cool to have high power, high crit, but if you can’t be able to make use of them because you got hit by random attacks that you did not see (yes you are not in Matrix you can’t dodge every hit). It’s pointless, especially in a game that has no real trinity classes (except for DPS).

Also, using a Soldier gear instead of Knight will make me gain like 1k5 hp and lose crit chance (with full berserker trinkets). The Berserker set is even more interesting if you’re looking for increasing your crit chance lol.
I add points in Defense because like I said, I like to be both resistant and offensive with a heavy armor class, and some traits fits perfectly with the Strength tree,the Greatsword, and the skills. Cull of the Weak, Berserker’s Power, Adrenal Health + Healing Signet in case you were wondering.
I don’t have this exact stuff yet because I got my char lvl 80 a few days ago, but still with the karma exotics I’m doing fine in dungeons. The purpose of this build is to be able to deal a good amount of damage without being a wet paper that spend its time in the down state. At first I wanted to play with both sword and greatsword. But the sword have almost 0 synergy with the greatsword. Except if you go Flurry> 100b in PvP. But a condition build will be more suited for doing heavy damage without relying on 100b.

By the way, did you see the last link I put here ? It has a ranged weapon. Or did you even read that I spit on axes ?

in Warrior

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

If Adrenal Health + Healing Signet + Knight’s gear is your personal comfort level for not dying, then fine. We’re just saying don’t expect to get big damage out of it. If getting Adrenal Health is really that important to you, go 30/25/15/0/0 with zerk gear. That is the best compromise you are going to get re DPS without giving up the health regen from the trait + signet.

in Warrior

Posted by: JVJD.4912

JVJD.4912

>This is not a pure damage build cause you put 20 points in defense and made a hybrid power tank buld

>If you want to see big numbers then the weapons would be gs ,axe or rifle

> Sword uses both conditions and power to do damage there are builds for each of them, but imo power precision and condition damage gear would suit the sword.

in Warrior

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

How can 57 % crit chance be too low ? It means half my hits will be crits. And if I feel the need I can add SoF to get to 65%. (61% if I use berserker trinkets only but I use 1 soldier amulet for a bit of health)

57-65 percent crit are very low DPS for a Warrior.
You’re aiming at 80% to 100% to be called DPS-able.

What (again) people fail to realise here is that I greatly prefer being tough than going full berserker and lick the floor each fight like so many Warriors I’ve seen so far. (in less than 2 seconds).

No, what you fail to realize is that this game is coded to make the highest toughness member be a complete aggro magnet.
It is a game mechanic.
So ironically if you get 3200 armor you take more damage than having 2200 simply because you’re constantly the main target.

Warrior cannot get resilience through damage mitigation while also being a good DPS.
If you want to be a tanky warrior, here is how you properly do it:
1. Endure Pain + SoS + SoD
2. Defy Pain
3. Shield block
4. Dodging; SoS refills endurance, Vigorous Stance and possibly Sigil of Energy.
5. Evading with GS3

That’s how Warrior plays anyways. You can’t adopt a playstyle that simply doesn’t work on a Warrior.

I know other games work like that, just not GW2. It’s coded not to.

You can “tank” by rotating your damage negation tools.
3s Sblock every 24
5s EP every 60
4s DP every 60
1s dodge every 5s

So over the time of 60s, for 27s you are taking 0 direct damage.
That means almost 50% uptime on not taking direct damage, it’s perhaps the most you can have.

On top of that, you can get:
- Rune of Forge, 12s Protection (+boon duration) every 60s when struck at 50% hp
- Rune of Svanir, 5s Invul (block of ice) every 90s at 20% hp
- Rune of Earth, 5s anti-projectile every 60s at 20% hp
- Rune of Vampirism, 3s invul at 10% health and lifestealing

This is how you “tank”, not by stacking armor a la WoW which will just make you the mob’s favourite and die faste than a glass Thief.

(edited by Red Falcon.8257)

in Warrior

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

That toughness = aggro thing isn’t even true btw. There may be some bosses that work that way but there are probably just as many that don’t. The whole thing was basically a myth perpetuated by Strife to promote his anchor guard build. Even he knew it was BS though because his guardian build didn’t even have that much toughness outside of the 30 in Valor for AH.

in Warrior

Intuneric.7652

How can 57 % crit chance be too low ? It means half my hits will be crits.

I never said your crit chance is too low, I was talking about the crit damage

going full berserker and lick the floor each fight like so many Warriors I’ve seen so far. (in less than 2 seconds). They waste time for the team and lose DPS.

And i would never recommend going full berserker for a melee class. What i was trying to point out was that you dont need THAT amount of thoughtness and those points in defense to stay alive. I checked my stuff after i posted and my thoughtness was around ~1100 and thats more than enough to keep you alive assuming
1. you know attack patterns so you can dodge the big hits
2. break agro when you need to (not sure how agro works but with 1100 thoughtness is fairly easy to do so)
3. kill stuff before it kills you due to high damage
If warriors in your group are dying they’re probably not doing all of the above (or any).
You need to easily get read of them defensive stuff as you learn the mob’s attack patterns and the content in general. Sure, as a beginner feel free to use whatever. But if you’re here asking for high-end builds dont dissmiss the answers (or compare them) with average Joe that keeps dying over and over. Its not relevant.

I spit on axes

………
Yeah.. i was the same at first. Why would i use cookie cutter builds and rotations that everyone’s using? kitten that, im gonna be like hie guyz i has a horn and i gief you perma swiftness and stuff. Until i realized those points in ma horn are costing me ~30% of my damage

in Warrior

Scar.1793

Would 2700-2800 armor be enough to not take dirty hits in the face and go down by random attacks from npcs ?

in Warrior

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

Careful use of evades and CC is enough to not go down. Base armour stat is fine.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

in Warrior

Intuneric.7652

My advice would be.. Dont change any piece of gear, dont worry about that right now, knight/soldier whatever. Go spam some 1h blades on a target dummy and check the numbers. Then change your build to 30/0/0/10/30, loose 20% recharge on that gs, some precision and some thoughtness but gain 30% more crit damage, faster weapon swap, crit chance back with heightnened focus, dmg vs boon, etc
Go back, fill your adrenaline and spam 1h blades again on the target dummy and see for yourself if its worth it or not.
If you like it slap Endure Pain on your skillbar for those o-kitten situations and give it a try (or 10). Too squishy? respec back

in Warrior

Posted by: Dolan.3071

Dolan.3071

This sub-forum makes me cry. “57% crit chance is good” OH MY GOD THE TEARS, THEY WON’T STOP.
Beginning to think I should just link the cookie cutter 30/25/0/0/15 GS/Axe+Mace PuG build with Berserker everything in all these threads and spam “L2P” comments when people even think about mentioning armour or survivability.
Warrior has broken health, broken base armour, and broken self healing. By the way, ‘broken’ doesn’t mean bad…

Uriel Asther ~ Warrior | Kaya Lereau ~ Elementalist | Natalie Fox ~ Thief
Skye Eterna ~ Mesmer | Arya Slade ~ Charrdian | Kiera Thine ~ Ranger
Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

in Warrior

Posted by: wads.5730

wads.5730

Would 2700-2800 armor be enough to not take dirty hits in the face and go down by random attacks from npcs ?

you prevent goign down by using your eyes, and dodging attacks.

warriors in pve should be 100% full zerk, only exception is dpsing tequatl.

tanky gear is strictly reserved for pvp/wvw

in Warrior

Posted by: Zantmar.5406

Zantmar.5406

you dont really HAVE to 100% zerk but you can at least have Zerk accessories
and warrior with 3k armor means mobs liek to hit you more than having a fair spread of arrgo, thus decreasing your survivability dramatically.

how do you kill stuff with less than 3k attack anyways

i ran knight suit armor with and carry with myself a full suit of zerk, accessories are Zerk
i survive plenty fine in any dungeons with my zerk suit, honestly its more a matter of whether u dodge the redcircle/telegraphed attack or get hit by it and get 1 shotted

Life blast should hit twice and have its damage halfed
If Rocket Charge is only 2 leaps then it should look like 2 leaps
True Shot should be cast on the move

(edited by Zantmar.5406)

in Warrior

Player Character.9467

All I know about aggro is those stun bots in CoE LOVE elementalists.

in Warrior

Posted by: Dolan.3071

Dolan.3071

PuGs love telling me L2P when I’ve got permanent Golem boss aggro and it’s taking forever to kill him.
“Just dodge his spin” HRHRHRJIGHBDJBYJN

Uriel Asther ~ Warrior | Kaya Lereau ~ Elementalist | Natalie Fox ~ Thief
Skye Eterna ~ Mesmer | Arya Slade ~ Charrdian | Kiera Thine ~ Ranger
Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

in Warrior

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

That toughness = aggro thing isn’t even true btw. There may be some bosses that work that way but there are probably just as many that don’t.

From my own observation there does seem be some link between the two. I was doing some PvE on my Engineer for whom I have only purchased Rabid gear as I was using him to roam in WvW, where that stat set is very potent. Given that every single other character I own uses full zerker trinkets, armor and weapons I did notice a substantial difference in the amount of attention I was receiving.

“It looks like I might be getting attacked more than that other time when I wasn’t” isn’t empirical evidence. I’ve tried aggroing various mobs with a friend (me in full zerker, him in full knights) and wasn’t able to discern any noticeable pattern.

in Warrior

Posted by: Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

OP asks whether his build is good or not.

Is told no.

Gets mad at people who told him no.

Gotcha

Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt
DnT is Recruiting – http://www.dtguilds.com/