Just fought a really tanky warrior

in Warrior

Posted by: emkelly.2371

emkelly.2371

Okay so I was running a burn bow build this morning and fought a warrior who was WAAAAY too tanky. SO my build is a hybrid Burn bow build. I was running this:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQNAT8en8cAdhgtdAWdAEliFiAzIA8B7ZIngXwI4t4+cruA-TJRAABAcFAKa/hAeIA6XGAA

So the match started and I end up on mid with him. Just him and me.

I start my rotation with a shield bash, then a kick, then a stomp, then headbutt.

All of them hit, but he popped stab after the stomp so no adrenaline for me.

No problem I keep fighting with my sword and eventually build some adrenaline. I enter berserk and hit him with a flaming flurry, but he just takes it, and begins casting a killshot. So I interrupt my flurry and shield block, then swap to bow and put down scorched earth.

My berserk ends, so I take that time to heal up (full adrenaline) he switches to greatsword and starts going to town on me, but I get my heal off and evade and kite. The guy was still alive, more than that, he was still at full life. So I kick him and it lands So then I figure, okay hes gotta be out of endure pain, and balanced stance.

So I kite and start laying down scorched earth on his face. But still no effect. It’s like he had permanent resistance. So far I have evaded and blocked all of his bursts save one, so i’m thinking, he must be running malandru balanced stance, and Last stand as well as endure pain and defy pain. He still hits like a truck though, so I change strategy. I swap to sword and focus on keeping him stun locked.

Headbutt, kick, stomp, Berserk>Flaming flurry, Shield Smash, Flaming flurry, AA, AA, AA, Kick, Flaming flurry, Block another burst.

Finally I see his defy pain proc, so I press the advantage.

Swap to bow, Heal for adrenaline, Berserk, Scorched earth, scorched earth, scorched earth. He pops resistance, so I Kick him, Root him, Arcing shot, swap back to sword, and the fight continues.

By this time both his friends and mine have showed up and the fight for mid is a huge clusterfrag. But I keep focusing him and finally take him down.

After that, his team stuck together and their druid just kept up the heals forever, they ended up winning and congrats to them, but my entire team is like. WTF? this warrior was ridiculous. I messaged him to see what his build was, but he just gave me ridiculous answers. It’s obvious he was not going to tell me what his build was, so I’m here to find out if anyone knows.

He was wielding a Greatsword and rifle, and had two signets, i think they were Rage, and healing signet, but sorry I forget what they were.

I don’t think he ever entered berserk mode, and if he did he never got off a primal burst.

He hit hard, but not as hard as most power warriors. I know if the fight went on long enough in a 1v1 i would have killed him, but it took forever!

So if anyone can help me find that build i’d appreciate it. And whoever you were out there. If you see this, good fight.

in Warrior

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Wasn’t me… despite my tanky build, I don’t do PvP… but you certainly have me intrigued as to his build, too. o.O

~EW

in Warrior

Posted by: Furajir.3815

Furajir.3815

Next time, just spectate, that’s what I do.

Tupro-Ranger- “The Great White Hype”
Yak’s Bend(TWIN) Racist against Sylvari
RRR Ranger and Warrior videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ElmoezHerra?feature=watch

in Warrior

Posted by: Elegie.3620

Elegie.3620

It’s a bit hard to tell – what answers did he give you? Did he just taunt you (which would be disappointing between fellow warriors), or did he give you answers which did not make sense to you (i.e. communication issues)?

The current warrior sustain is awesome, and certainly underestimated by the community. The Demolisher amulet, in particular, is a blessing for the power warrior, because it does not remove much attack potential when compared to the Berserker amulet, but adds a lot of toughness, meaning Cleansing Ire can finally shine.

I’m digressing a bit here, but the Cleansing Ire mechanics is just so strong. It generates adrenaline at a fast rate, fueling bursts, meaning more damage (Berserker’s Power), more sustain (cleansing condition, getting HP through Adrenal Health) and even more Cleansing Ire. Add in Burst Mastery and Versatile Rage, possibly the passive of the Signet of Rage, and everything becomes smooth.

When you mix in the sustain from Thick Skin and stances (resistance, stability, physical invulnerability) to help you kite, regen and maintain your HP above 75%, you get something strongly resilient.

I’ve been playing a bit of unranked games, GS/Bow demolisher, STR/DEF/DIS, optimizing adrenaline generation and might building. After a few games of adjusting, I found that I was able to truly sustain (and sometimes win) 1v2s. I’m as amazed as I was when I first tried the celestial Axebow, coming from Berserker background.

EDIT: There’s also the matter of endurance. The Strength line, besides the 40% damage increase brought to GS users, also focuses on endurance. The more you burst (i.e. merely apply the Cleansing Ire full mechanics), the more endurance you get through Building Momentum. More dodges means more defense, and even more damage through the excellent Reckless Dodge.

(edited by Elegie.3620)

in Warrior

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

Do you know if he was using shouts? because if he never entered berserk then he might have been running vanilla warrior with all the tanky/healing traits like rousing resilience and shout heals plus of course the adrenal health.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in Warrior

Furajir.3815

I’ve been running Cleansing Ire as vanilla and sometimes zerk with axe/sh and gs w/ demolisher ammy. It’s definitely very underrated, everyone wants to pick up RR for the toughness/healing but, CI has really started to shine, especially since spending adrenaline has become so prevalent especially with SoR.

I cannot complain. It could be worse. We are in a better spot for sure,

RRR Ranger and Warrior videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ElmoezHerra?feature=watch

in Warrior

Spartacus.3192

I’ve been running Cleansing Ire as vanilla and sometimes zerk with axe/sh and gs w/ demolisher ammy. It’s definitely very underrated, everyone wants to pick up RR for the toughness/healing but, CI has really started to shine, especially since spending adrenaline has become so prevalent especially with SoR.

I cannot complain. It could be worse. We are in a better spot for sure,

I agree about RR. I stopped using it since i generally much prefer Cleansing Ire myself.

in Warrior

Furajir.3815

I can get Adrenaline as super rapid rates with or without Zerker so it’s become incredibly useful instead of always having to rely on just zerker.

in Warrior

emkelly.2371

Well, he never used shouts. I’d have heard it. So that’s out. And he only ever landed one burst on me. So cleansing ire did not help him. He seemed to have like,non stopped boons though, so i’m wondering if he just had lots of boon duration. It almost seemed like his weapons did not match his build too. Like, if you were goin full defense why not have shield?

To answer your question yes, he just taunted me when asked about his build. He did say he healed over 200k on himself so there’s that.

in Warrior

Furajir.3815

He was using cleric. I can almost gurantee it. I did it to troll people few weeks back and have done a few matches with it since patch. I just stacked as much stab as I could and went mace/sh and gs. Pretty much unkillable by melee. Also ran with monk runes.

in Warrior

Posted by: Elegie.3620

Elegie.3620

No shouts, limited bursts (but maybe he did land enough GS bursts to maintain Adrenal Health?), this could hint at Rousing Resilience. Your build having a lot of hard control would have been quite beneficial in that case, especially if he bundled some Outrage in it, powered up by the Runes of the Tempest (and possibly a bit of Healing Power, maybe Mender amulet).

It’s too bad he didn’t want to share

in Warrior

emkelly.2371

whatever it was it was cool. I’m not mad at him or anything, but jesus i want to make that build just to see what it’s like

in Warrior

Furajir.3815

Go cleric with a tanky rune and sit back and laugh.

in Warrior

emkelly.2371

It was more than clerics tune. As you’ll remember, I’m hybrid Condi power. He literally ignored my condies the entire fight. Besides he hit to hard to be running clerics.

in Warrior

Furajir.3815

I hit semi-hard with clerics…with boon duration runes and might stacking it wasn’t hard. Guess we will never know since you didn’t click that little spectate button.

in Warrior

Spartacus.3192

Guess we will never know since you didn’t click that little spectate button.

How do you spectate when match is over or do you mean you can spectate when he enters another match?

in Warrior

Furajir.3815

You can do it any time if youre fast enough, sometimes I will when match ends and take quick SS, or hop out mid match and look rq and hop back in. If someone utterly destroys me, I do that, just so I know how to counter or genuine curiosity.

in Warrior

Spartacus.3192

You can do it any time if youre fast enough, sometimes I will when match ends and take quick SS, or hop out mid match and look rq and hop back in. If someone utterly destroys me, I do that, just so I know how to counter or genuine curiosity.

Thanks….so right click will give me the option to spectate?

I’ll check it out.

in Warrior

Furajir.3815

Should be able to anytime as long as you’re not in combat I believe just hit “B” and hit the eye anytime, cept when dead.

in Warrior

Spartacus.3192

Should be able to anytime as long as you’re not in combat I believe just hit “B” and hit the eye anytime, cept when dead.

Thanks

in Warrior

Posted by: RookSix.8105

RookSix.8105

Thats a pretty good read and im curious myself.

With the new Adrenal Health, you can probably afford to activate your healing signet more often now since you can keep a decent regen effect on. Could it be possible that he was running rune of the revenant? Thats about 8 seconds of regen on a 16 second CD. Throw in berserker stance… shrug it off… and CI. But I doubt he had both of the latter.

Really interested. But I can see why he probably wouldnt want to share.

in Warrior

emkelly.2371

Some people try to keep Trade Secrets because they believe that if arenanet found out about some of this stuff that it would get taking apart in an update

For example I am kind of upset that somebody told ain’t it about the scorched-earth bug and about balanced stance activating rousing resilience even when you’re not stoned do you see what I mean now arenanet to going to fix these bugs that made our life so much easier which of course is a good thing but there is a very good reason why people don’t want to tell what they’re using

in Warrior

Posted by: Fivedawgs.4267

Fivedawgs.4267

Only warrior I know, who goes tanky is mooncow.

in Warrior

Posted by: Steelo.4597

Steelo.4597

scratch this post, i thought you were talking about wvw.

i fear we will look back to this day and remember the good old wvw as it is now – Jan 2015

(edited by Steelo.4597)

in Warrior

Posted by: Chase.2798

Chase.2798

Maybe menders? Menders can be fairly tanky on warrior

Big Papa Chase – Warrior and Guardian
Papa’s Lady Luck- Necro
(HELL)

in Warrior

emkelly.2371

Maybe somthing like this.
never mind wrong build.

(edited by emkelly.2371)

in Warrior

Spartacus.3192

about balanced stance activating rousing resilience even when you’re not stoned

balanced stance activating RR has been around since RR was introduced as has been posted/talked about on this forum for ages. ANET has had plenty of chances to fix it.

Its even on the WIKI pages as far as i know.

in Warrior

Posted by: Antinegative.4872

Antinegative.4872

After some experimenting I think I found the build you’re talking about.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQNAT8ejMdQnHW5BWhAnIGqCqME66UAX8GIA0eoxzBA-TZRDwAYeCAAuAAM3fQyBBQbZAA

Without taking into consideration buffs and sigils, I’m regenerating about 45210 health every 30 seconds. I was able to just sit on point vs a necro who stacked up to 6-7 conditions on me without me ever falling below 90% health(I wasn’t making a special effort to cleanse them, but this build has plenty of resistance and condi removal built in).

I found the secret was just not to do anything fancy like swapping weapons or moving around, but just stick to longbow and spam f1 to keep adrenal health up, and let the burn slowly tick the other guy down.

(edited by Antinegative.4872)

in Warrior

emkelly.2371

Antinegative.4872
After some experimenting I think I found the build you’re talking about.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQNAT8ejMdQnHW5BWhAnIGqCqME66UAX8GIA0eoxzBA-TZRDwAYeCAAuAAM3fQyBBQbZAA

he was using GS and Rifle.

in Warrior

Posted by: Antinegative.4872

Antinegative.4872

What the weapons are really don’t matter. I can use rifle instead of longbow, and I only use my second weapon set for defense, so you can substitute any weapon sets in it’s place and be fine. I was just pointing out the general concept of abandoning the berserker trait line and taking many adrenaline related traits to achieve 100% adrenal health up time with heal amulet to achieve complete invincibility in any 1v1 situation, regardless of the other side’s build.

in Warrior

emkelly.2371

nods. sounds right

in Warrior

Spartacus.3192

What the weapons are really don’t matter. I can use rifle instead of longbow, and I only use my second weapon set for defense, so you can substitute any weapon sets in it’s place and be fine. I was just pointing out the general concept of abandoning the berserker trait line and taking many adrenaline related traits to achieve 100% adrenal health up time with heal amulet to achieve complete invincibility in any 1v1 situation, regardless of the other side’s build.

I would agree with your assessment. Avoid berserker line and go for high adrenal uptime and tankyness.

in Warrior

Furajir.3815

I would agree with your assessment. Avoid berserker line and go for high adrenal uptime and tankyness.

Like I said I do 40 posts up lol