My Stance on Warriors

My Stance on Warriors

in Warrior

Posted by: PlagueEphlik.3067

PlagueEphlik.3067

The Warrior

It’s Plague Ephlik, and I’m a warrior. When I say im a warrior im saying after playing this game for a decent ammount of time ( r40 ) and playing through all the classes in order of which combat style and visuals took me in ( warrior was 4th… ) I noticed something when comparing the classes to the warrior visually whilst in combat which then developed my theory being that -

Warrior was most likely the 1st class they designed( some people may know this information im interested in results ) and then they started to go crazy with ‘’creative ideas and effects as they started making more classes adding in features like clones, teleporting , blah blah blah and even instant ’’dmg ‘’ skills that cant be reacted to. Now im not against fantasy style effects because obviously an ele should be doing ’’magic ‘’, but while all of the classes aside from maybe ranger seemed to have some sort of supernatural sci fi-ish style to them, the warrior just seemed to be a simple human wielding weapons lol. Even Guardian suprised me with how much more flashy their ’’offense ‘’ was in comparison to warrior. If more classes were closer to a warrior’s ’’purity’’( being able to see actions in full animation) , then I think the game as a whole would play better but thats not what this is about.

An idea to expand Warrior style

So i have an idea that would raise Warrior diversity and add a little more dimension to the play style. But first im gonna pull a Daecello and suggest a trait tweak/ adjustment, only I wont be posting another the next day and the day after etc because this post is already long and could end up falling off almost immediately anyway.

- Cleansing Ire : Since I do agree that the warrior’s survivability should come from a more offensive style I think it would be interesting if cleansing ire didnt ‘’ clear’’ conditions but instead ‘’ transferred ’’to target on use. Some people may think that is OP for warrior in current state but if u take into consideration my next idea which would help build diversity , you would see that trait change isnt asking much.

F2 F3 F4 Stances

At this point the idea was just a rough brainstorm that would need more work , perhaps more people to chip into how it could be made to work better if you like the idea but anyway. My reasoning for for this feature is because i dont think the Stances are Stancey enough and that true stances would be alot more interesting. My proposal would be to remove the stances from utility and perhaps tweak the effects accordingly while placed under whichever stance line . Example :

you would have a
Power Stance , a Precision Stance, and a Defensive Stance (which work as toggles), including perhaps being able to deactivate into neutral stance ( no stance ). All which would visually change your character’s battle stance under use in my hopeful mind lol, ( picturing this with a gs for example )

Power Stance ( even name it something else )

Increase power based on adrenaline you have built. ( Berserkers Power )
Activates Balanced Stance( Cooldown 60 seconds . )

As you can see i took the berserker’s power trait and moved it to the stance for the passive ability which would occur only while in this stance. Also moved balanced stance to bind to this stance.

note *: Before anyone cries ‘’OP ’’ to any of this, keep in mind these are just examples but the main idea of what im doing is trying to make space for more interesting traits anet could come up with to replace the ones moved or near useless minor traits that could add space for replacement. Anyone can add their own versions of this type of template to help out.
I personally would propose the removal of strength III and VI to make space for something new but you get the idea .

Precision Stance
Critical hits grant triple adrenaline ( Furious )
Activates Frenzy on full adrenaline ( 1 minute cooldown. No longer stunbreaker )

Defense Stance
Gain 5 seconds of retaliation when struck by a critical hit in this stance ( Spiked Armor )
Activate Endure Pain ( 60 second cooldown )

get rid of defense III
note : the activated effects of stances do not take place while not in combat
also I would get rid of berserkers stance completely to justify my earlier proposed change to cleansing ire.

These are some ideas in a nutshell which I think can improve and allow for different warrior builds possibly. As someone who is constantly trying to find new builds and always testing new ones out ( and not following the ’’meta’’ gs mace shield ) as i dont like the style and have already found one im most comfortable with, yet get accused of somehow stunning an enemy for 3 seconds with eviscerate in a group fight and being told to ‘’learn to play mace shield noob’’… I think this type of thing could add more dimension and help the class as a whole.

My Stance on Warriors

in Warrior

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

It’s the other way around imo. Other classes were designed and then the warrior was designed with the concept of “cut all the silly kitten and just have a guy to hit people”.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

My Stance on Warriors

in Warrior

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

I like stance dancing and would be in favor of something like this, I just don’t think it’s realistic. Warriors are already in a good place, if you give them extra kit they’ll be OP and require nerfs elsewhere to compensate.

My Stance on Warriors

in Warrior

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

I like stance dancing and would be in favor of something like this, I just don’t think it’s realistic. Warriors are already in a good place, if you give them extra kit they’ll be OP and require nerfs elsewhere to compensate.

If you like stance dancing, go play an Elementalist.

One of the biggest reasons I like Warrior is because of our Burst skills. It’s got more use than Steal on Thief, it’s not as situational as the Virtues on a Guardian and it’s not as complex as the attunement swapping on an Ele.

If you want to add more F skills, I think that giving F2 and F3 that give each weapon set a single skill that is damage/support/control would be cool. Of course, the F2 and F3 skills would have to be weaker than similar F1 skills to prevent things like having Skull Crack as an F2/F3 skill.

As for the OP: I don’t really like your idea about the stances. Most likely it would result in people using the Power Stance to use a burst skill/100b/Final Thrust, then swapping to the Precision Stance to regenerate that adrenaline and repeat this process.

And honestly, transfering conditions is extremely powerful, as is evident from Sigil of Generosity being the most expensive Sigil in the game and not available in sPvP.

(edited by Olba.5376)

My Stance on Warriors

in Warrior

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

I could accept warrior being designed last. That fits a-nets direct quote, “Near the end we rushed gw2 out the door in a unfinished state.” I would even accept the warrior was designed at the same time the Zhaitan final fight was designed.

2 part movement on a melee greatsword?..first target, then fire?..

My opinion is that some professions were designed by the PvE team and some were designed by the PvP team. Hence why some seem so focused at PvE style/traits and some seem particularly complicated and complex and more well suited to layered PvP play.

Warrior/Guardian/ele/necro-PvE
Thief/engi/mesmer-PvP

My Stance on Warriors

in Warrior

Posted by: Illveran.3514

Illveran.3514

Im playing a warrior since beta, and really after a long time he just became boring, I tried few other classes, had fun with them, but im a person which really likes to smash things with a warrior =]

Its hard to say because the game is great but im praying for a huge rework/update for every class to make not only warriors even more fun and diverse to play.

Stances which you described seem interesting making more place for more useful utility skills and possibly new weapon skills for each stance – that would be awesome and really have some impact on gameplay diversity.

(edited by Illveran.3514)

My Stance on Warriors

in Warrior

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

If you like stance dancing, go play an Elementalist.

One of the biggest reasons I like Warrior is because of our Burst skills. It’s got more use than Steal on Thief, it’s not as situational as the Virtues on a Guardian and it’s not as complex as the attunement swapping on an Ele.

If you want to add more F skills, I think that giving F2 and F3 that give each weapon set a single skill that is damage/support/control would be cool. Of course, the F2 and F3 skills would have to be weaker than similar F1 skills to prevent things like having Skull Crack as an F2/F3 skill.

As for the OP: I don’t really like your idea about the stances. Most likely it would result in people using the Power Stance to use a burst skill/100b/Final Thrust, then swapping to the Precision Stance to regenerate that adrenaline and repeat this process.

And honestly, transfering conditions is extremely powerful, as is evident from Sigil of Generosity being the most expensive Sigil in the game and not available in sPvP.

Additional, but toned down, F abilities would be cool too. And I’m not keen on ele’s version of ‘stance dancing’ because it’s a complete ability swap(akin to having extra weapon swaps), I prefer a stance dance system that changes the way you use your current skills (generally through statistical adjustments) rather then swapping skills altogether.

My Stance on Warriors

in Warrior

Posted by: cmud.5689

cmud.5689

Well, I am a completely new player to GW2 (started about 1.5 month ago) and so far, my experience involves a lvl80 mesmer, 55 Warrior, 25 necro.

I enjoy the warrior and consider this a pretty powerful class, however…my biggest issue with this class is the look and feel of his skill-set, particulary F1. I am not talking about effectivenes, but I could honestly use MORE mechanical options, something for F2, F3. Its very boring to have just this one option when comparing to a rather rich table of skillselection when browsing through some other classes, also many utility skills are just plain and dull upon usage. Like…you get an elite signet of rage skill and you are “rewarded” by a hello kitty experience each time you activite it.

I would welcome an alternative way to utilize the adrenaline. For example, greatsword F2 would burst towards all targets in a line applying a condition moving you a set distance from the casting range (think the necromancers Foul Current/trident skill) . However, it could be only used while in melee, so it would not become another gap closer. It contains both the advantage of striking more foes, doing a different thing while having the disadvantage of getting you out of your targets dps range..possibly launching you into a mob. It offerers both variability and choice.

banished from time and space

My Stance on Warriors

in Warrior

Posted by: Psybunny.8906

Psybunny.8906

But first im gonna pull a Daecello

This is officially my new favourite expression.