My Take On The Warrior After An Hour

in Warrior

Posted by: Domzz.1260

Domzz.1260

Hey All,

So I set at just above 4k AP and am like rank 40 something in PvP —
Generally I play things like Necro (condi / power), Hybrid Mesmer, Bunker Guardian, D/P Thief… And I generally perform pretty well with some effort and focus -- some builds and professions harder than others but fun in their own ways.

I was getting pretty frustrated playing bunker guardian in tPvP solo queue because people did not seem to know how to work with me, and even when we do win in team or solo queue I seem to put in a LOT of effort and get not much score — win ratio is spotty maybe 6/10 matches are won.

So I decided to just try warrior even though I have my qualms with the class —

So I finish the tutorial and go straight into PvP — throw on an axe/shield and a hammer and slap on the first Googled build I could find without any practice whatsoever.

So I go into solo queue and literally match after match after match after match I’m scoring top player on both teams by a LARGE margin (at LEAST 50 pts). It takes little to no effort to get nearly perma swiftness, might, fury, stability, while having insane mobility damage and an OP regen from healing signet — I mean LORD it was a walk in the park and my win ratio was 100% over the games I played — and this is with NO experience or thoughts on build on warrior WHATSOEVER I seriously just made one, level 2, and marched into tPvP.

Is it just me, or is this class ridiculously OP? If it’s not, maybe I’m meant to play this class???

-D

in Warrior

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

Some builds cater more to solo queue. Case in point, you mentioned people not being able/knowing how to work with you well when on your bunker guardian. On the other hand, the warrior build you rolled sounds like it’s quite self reliant.
You also played for a pretty short amount of time, couldn’t have been more then a few rounds. It could easily be a fluke, or just the time you queued at. Some days of the weeks/times sport different types of players.
The class is also quiet noob friendly, it has a low skill floor. Not to mention warriors are in a pretty good place right now. I wouldn’t say they’re OP, but they’re certainly not hurting.

in Warrior

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

Some builds cater more to solo queue. Case in point, you mentioned people not being able/knowing how to work with you well when on your bunker guardian. On the other hand, the warrior build you rolled sounds like it’s quite self reliant.
You also played for a pretty short amount of time, couldn’t have been more then a few rounds. It could easily be a fluke, or just the time you queued at. Some days of the weeks/times sport different types of players.
The class is also quiet noob friendly, it has a low skill floor. Not to mention warriors are in a pretty good place right now. I wouldn’t say they’re OP, but they’re certainly not hurting.

I’ll agree with this. It is not a class issue, you were just playing other classes that were more team-oriented, whereas Hammer/Axe is more of a 1v1, roaming, side-point assaulting build.

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

in Warrior

Domzz.1260

Ah ok thanks guys

in Warrior

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Seems like what you said about being meant to play the class may have a glimmer of truth.

You went from an average guardian dedicated to support, to a 1v1 oriented Warrior that frankly didn’t give a kitten about support and started winning.

Mayyybe you need to spearhead more, instead of buffing PuGs.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

in Warrior

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

Great that youre playing soloq instead hotjoin. Keep it up. But good teams/players dont lose and retake a point 10x times, instead they controll it whole game…which means the score system is useless or even bad, DONT EVER LOOK AT IT ok?

Score aside, you ARE winning. And yes its is cz warior is pretty OP
Beginer friendly to the point of “braindead” while being a overall too strong jack of all trades like the old dd ele.
Another thing is you cant go wrong with warior in soloq. Evry team needs 1, but tanky clases dont hurt in conquest.
Lastly, if youre playing with other rather bad players, its definetly better to do stuff yourself than you supporting them.

TL,DR: please play a fun dps guard and not another hambot warior

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in Warrior

Posted by: TheZeus.8617

TheZeus.8617

LOL warrior is by far the easiest class to master… All warriors just want to think it takes skill.. when in fact a monkey after 2 hrs can play it well…

Athena War Goddess
[TWIN] Anvil Rock

in Warrior

Posted by: Guyver.1426

Guyver.1426

I think it is not the problem of designs of warrior or guardian.

For example, once you chose to be a defender in football team, u are not expected to be top scorer as shooters.

It’s teamwork. Guardian used to be nameless hero.

in Warrior

Posted by: dooger.2640

dooger.2640

LOL warrior is by far the easiest class to master… All warriors just want to think it takes skill.. when in fact a monkey after 2 hrs can play it well…

It only takes one hour on guardian, so its twice as hard.

in Warrior

Posted by: EvilSardine.9635

EvilSardine.9635

Guardian is the easiest class to play. Not the warrior. Guardians have so many “oh crap” buttons it’s stupid.

You think a warrior is “easy to master” but it’s actually not. You will get DESTROYED by any equally skilled DPS guardian, thief, condi engineer, mesmer, necro, condi ranger, and elementalist. All of these classes have a specific build that cannot be beaten by a warrior no matter what build the warrior uses.

Every class is better than a warrior. This is coming from someone who roams and duels 99% of the time.

I’m mostly speaking about WvW since PvP just has stale boring amulet builds.

in Warrior

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

you pretty much summed up warrior
no skill requirement, practically plays it’s self.

in Warrior

Posted by: silentnight warrior.2714

silentnight warrior.2714

Warrior is easy to play but lacks at higher levels. Its normal to ear people saying that you need to know how to fight a warrior in order to beat them.

Well, take that setup to higher pvp levels and see how it goes.
When you need help to fight against good players come here again that people will help you (you will need it).

in Warrior

Domzz.1260

So my take on the warrior after a week of playing it a lot…

Amazing class. I don’t feel the same rush or power as I do playing any other class. I put in so much effort on my guardian and sigh everytime I try to bring it back into PvP — constantly want to hop back on my warrior and kick some tail.

I haven’t felt so unstoppable on anything … I thought things like MM necro and PU mesmer were OP, but pretty much anything on warrior is even more OP.

It’s a great class and I really hope that they do not nerf it too hard because if they don’t, I will be rolling warrior main.

in Warrior

Posted by: docMed.7692

docMed.7692

Um, you’re not ranked on any of the leaderboards (NA or EU)...? http://gwshack.info

in Warrior

Posted by: silentnight warrior.2714

silentnight warrior.2714

Ok. I believe you are still playing with low skilled players. We talk when you get better matches. See you then

in Warrior

Posted by: Domino.1359

Domino.1359

Haven’t bothered reading other replies or your ‘take on a week’ of playing, but there are plenty of banes to this class that are encountered in any one match. It’s silly to think it’s op when you have played it for a week.
Against any other skilled player in any other class, it balances it out.

in Warrior

Azure The Heartless.3261

Not even a week.

an -hour-.

He’s formulating an opinion of the class based on an hour of playing.

The class isn’t OP at all. you just cannot deal with it as you would other classes.

Warrior is very frontal, and very powerful. Trapping a warrior or otherwise removing their line of sight to you brings them to their knees, on higher playing fields.

it has a low skill floor because at the beginning of the game, everyone is playing like “walk up to player, mash 1 HARD”. Warrior just happens to do that by name of its profession, so it shines on lower skill matches.

Once people get into conditions, strategy tailored to their classes, and stealths, blinds, turrets, “Walk up to player, mash 1 HARD” doesn’t have as much effect.

Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

in Warrior

Domzz.1260

Not even a week.

an -hour-.

The class isn’t OP at all. you just cannot deal with it as you would other classes.

Warrior is very frontal, and very powerful. Trapping a warrior or otherwise removing their line of sight to you brings them to their knees, on higher playing fields.

it has a low skill floor because at the beginning of the game, everyone is playing like “walk up to player, mash 1 HARD”. Warrior just happens to do that by name of its profession, so it shines on lower skill matches.

Once people get into conditions, strategy tailored to their classes, and stealths, blinds, turrets, “Walk up to player, mash 1 HARD” doesn’t have as much effect.

Duh, anything else obvious you’d like to throw up and serve on a platter?

That doesn’t change the fact that warrior is really strong and OP — in the right hands, even against conditions and higher ground, a warrior is strong — but that’s where the skill comes into play. Of course if you’re going to sit and faceroll you will get wrecked. Tons of access to Crowd Control, condition immunity, mobility to exploit LoS.

A mesmer or thief plays dirty by using stealth and mobility in combat — that doesn’t mean a warrior can’t play dirty either by putting on the pressure then resetting behind LoS with faster regen only to come back — has faster cooldowns and greater burst.

Just because I’ve been playing warrior for a couple weeks doesn’t change the fact I’ve been playing the game since pre-beta — as well as Guild Wars 1 for several years.

Go educate yourself, you’re not as good as you think you are.

in Warrior

Azure The Heartless.3261

Not even a week.

an -hour-.

Duh, anything else obvious you’d like to throw up and serve on a platter?

That doesn’t change the fact that warrior is really strong and OP — in the right hands, even against conditions and higher ground, a warrior is strong — but that’s where the skill comes into play. Of course if you’re going to sit and faceroll you will get wrecked. Tons of access to Crowd Control, condition immunity, mobility to exploit LoS.

A mesmer or thief plays dirty by using stealth and mobility in combat — that doesn’t mean a warrior can’t play dirty either by putting on the pressure then resetting behind LoS with faster regen only to come back — has faster cooldowns and greater burst.

Just because I’ve been playing warrior for a couple weeks doesn’t change the fact I’ve been playing the game since pre-beta — as well as Guild Wars 1 for several years.

Go educate yourself, you’re not as good as you think you are.

Easy now; I’d hate for you to take my comment personally.

Regardless of how long you have played, the fact remains that you are forming your opinion of a class based on first experiences with it.

Sure, Warrior is ‘OP in the right hands.’ as you said though, skill comes into play to make use of where Warrior is strongest.

But that applies to every class (except ranger in some cases, unfortunately.)

your original post came off as “facerolling warrior immediately gives you a higher win ratio than most”. I am against that opinion, and the above post is why. Other than that, I have no disagreement with what you’re stating, especially since you are an experienced player otherwise and brought that with you to the warrior class.