My version of the Berserker (Dragon Warrior?)

in Warrior

Posted by: Dand.8231

Dand.8231

When most people think of Berserkers, a very specific image forms in their minds. However, this is my own unique take on the Warrior elite spec, in the GW2 world. It’s a bit wordy, but I hope you enjoy the read!

The elder dragons and their minions have been a source of immense destruction, ravaging the pristine lands of Tyria, and leaving naught but destruction in their wake. Countless defenders have fallen before their onslaught, entire cities burned to the ground. And yet, it is this conflict in which new heroes and champions are born as though they were blades in a smiths forge, tempered in the heat of battle. Pushed to their very physical and mental limits, those who are strong and determined inevitably find a way to overcome these limits.

There are many paths to victory… and to power.

A great many of these champions have flocked to the frontlines, but none stand with more sheer determination than those who follow the path of the Warrior. Heavily armed and armored, yet their most fearsome weapon is their hardened battle resolve. The rush of war, the thrill of combat, the feel of the adrenaline pumping through their veins, this strength is what drives their every blow, hardens them to stand against their enemies, and fuels the tremendous onslaught they’re capable of unleashing. They bring with them no magic, consort not with the elements, and bear no advanced technology.

Their foes, the minions of the dragons and ultimately the elder dragons themselves, however, are another matter entirely. Drawing from the very magic energy that surrounds them, feeding upon it, and growing strong thus, have proven to be formidable beyond any threats Tyria has faced to date. Many dragon minions have been slain by these brave and relentless heros, and yet it comes with it a heavy price, many Warriors have likewise fallen before the Dragons and the powerful weapon they wield that is dragon energy.

And yet as with any weapon, it can occasionally fall into the hands of the enemy.

Through their countless engagements with the elder dragons, a few rare prodigies have remained standing long after their allies have fallen around them. They cannot see it with their eyes, nor feel it with their hands, nor even sense or manipulate it on any conscious level, but the energy surrounding them is ever-present and undeniable. Instinctively, they have begun tapping into the very same energy as the dragons, melding it with their training and fury in the heat of battle, creating a new style of combat entirely. It is said that the very first among them harnessed this power in a great battle, impaled in the maw of a hungry dragon, surviving by shattering the great wyrms fangs, and then slaying the beast using the shards of its own sundered teeth as weapons.

How much truth there is to this story remains a mystery, but nonetheless, this new breed of hero has been seen on the battlefield as of late, using pairs of daggers fashioned to resemble the fangs of a dragon. The sight of a champion clad in heavy plate armor, and yet wielding a pair of shortened blades is somewhat puzzling at first, but all doubt is removed once they engage in battle. Unburdened by large cumbersome weapons, their blows are swift and sudden, precise and deadly. Each swing leaves them empowered and their foes weakened, as their strikes cause their enemies strength to leech away, which they absorb to bolster their own, making the outcome all but assured. This is not done as some ritual, magical rote, or practiced spell, but rather is a natural extension of their unique combat style, and indeed is not something most would even consider true magic. They are simply using that which they have at hand to see their enemies slain; nothing more, nothing less.

Interestingly, it has been noted by some perceptive scholars that each of their blows is similar to the dragons way of fighting, not in the manner which they employ dragon energy, but rather in the way that each of their blows and strikes could represent a dragon minion in an army: Perhaps not substantial individually, yet nearly without number, each representing only a tiny portion of the big picture, wearing their enemies down, and sapping their strength till they fall beneath the relentless and unending assault.

And what are this new breed of champion called? Officially, no name has been chosen, as there is no real organization to even make such a choice. They’re more a loose grouping of individuals from all walks of life, who’ve ended up walking the same path, sharing a spot on the frontlines, and standing shoulder to shoulder in battle. But owed to their brutal and energetic combat style, and the frenzied battle demeanor that comes from tapping into such a primal force, some have come to simply call them… Berserkers.

in Warrior

Dand.8231

Mechanics
Adrenaline changed to new mechanic: Dragon Energy
Functions much the same as Adrenaline, gaining 1 strike per hit, and is compatible with other adrenaline traits, but now has a new purpose, accessible with the F2 button. (I continue to call it Adrenaline throughout; easier)

F1 – Brutal Slash (Dagger Mainhand)
Cast: 1/4s
Range: 900
Effects: Cripple
Description: A near-instant slash that goes through and past your target, damaging all foes in a line along the way, and inflicting them with bleed and cripple.

F2 – Dragon Hide
Cooldown: 30 seconds
Activate to use your adrenaline as a breakbar. The breakbar nullifys crowd control effects such as blind, fear, stun, and knockback, draining strikes of adrenaline rather than affecting the Berserker normally. While active, Adrenaline will slowly decay and cannot be regained from utility skills, but can still be generated from attacks. Remains active till adrenaline is depleted. If stability is active, it will be used up first.

Dagger Mainhand and Offhand
1-1. Painful Slice
Cast: 1/4
Effects: Bleed

1-2. Infused Strike
Effect: Torment

1-3. Twinfang Strike
Cast: 1/2
Effect: Weakness

Range: Melee
Description: A quick vicious slice, a painful slash infused with energy, and a two hit finisher that saps the targets strength.

2. Dragons Leap:
Cast: 3/4
CD: 12
Range: 600
Effect: Cripple, Leap Finisher
Descrip: Leap at your foe and slash at their lowline, inflicting them with cripple

3. Edged Wrath:
Cast: 1/2
CD: 20
Range: 450
Effect: Evade 1/2, Random Conditions, Whirl Finisher
Descrip: Do a spinning dive towards your target, inflicting a series of weak but rapid hits along the way (think Underwater Tsunami Slash, but faster, weaker hits) and evading all attacks. Each strike randomly inflicts bleed, torment, weakness, or cripple.

4. Tailswipe
CD: 25
Range: 200 AoE, Whirl Finisher
Effect: Stun, Weakness
Descrip: A rapid sweeping blow that catches enemies offguard, stunning them. Successfully interrupting an attack will also inflict weakness.

5. Dragon Smash:
Cast: 3/4
CD: 30s
Range: 300 AoE, Blast Finisher
Effect: Daze, Cripple
Descrip: A powerful ground strike that staggers nearby enemies

Mantras
As their skill type, Berserkers get access to Mantras. Mantras represent specific manifestations of the dragon energy Berserkers have naturally accumulated within themselves. Channeling the Mantra involves focusing and gathering that energy into a usable source, which can then be unleashed upon their unsuspecting foes. Once spent, they require a period of time to recover this energy.
Mechanically Mantras themselves have a 2 second channel time, and their specific powers have 2 charges each with a 2 second cooldown between charges.

Heal
Mantra of Consumption
Cooldown: 35s
Absorb Strength: Drink deep of the energy around you to heal, as well as transforming might on nearby foes into weakness.

Utility
Mantra of Power Conduit
Cooldown: 30s
Channel Power: Grant Resistance to nearby allies, and gain a bar of Adrenaline

Mantra of Dragons Resilience
Cooldown: 60s
Channel Resilience: Gain Resistance, Stability, and Stunbreak

Mantra of Command
Cooldown kitten
Command Minion: Subverts and summons a dragon minion, who will attack your foes, granting you 1 adrenaline for each successful attack they make. The minion lasts 45 seconds, and you may have up to 2 at a time.

Mantra of Dragons Breath
Mantra Cooldown: 40s
Dragons Breath: Release a blast of dragon energy that explodes, disrupting nearby foes
Effect: Ground Target AoE, Torment, Daze, Weakness, Blast Finisher

Elite
Mantra of Dragons Appetite
Cooldown: 120s
Draw In: Pull all nearby foes towards you, stealing 1 boon from each foe, and inflicting weakness.

in Warrior

Dand.8231

Traits: Minor
Twin Dragon Fangs: When wielding both a mainhand and offhand dagger, reduce dagger cooldowns and attacks have a chance to inflict weakness. Also unlocks the Dragon Hide (F2) mechanic, and Mantra skills.

Consume Energy: Whenever you inflict weakness or are granted a boon while in combat, heal for a tiny amount. Cooldown 1 second.

Prey upon the Weak: Foes with weakness inflict 5% less damage to you and take 5% more damage from you.

Adept
Legions Strength: Nearby allies gain might and retaliation for every mantra charge spent.

Spiked Hide: While active, Dragon Hide pulses retaliation

Resilient Instinct: Cast Channel Resilience whenever afflicted by 2 or more conditions

Master
Legions Advance: While active, Dragon Hide pulses Swiftness and Vigor to nearby allies

Regenerative Hide: While active, Dragon Hide pulses regeneration

Eternal Hunger: Using Mantra charges also converts 1 condition into a boon, and all boon duration is increased by 10%

Grandmaster
Legions Resilience: Activating Dragon Hide also grants nearby allies resistance, and stability. Whenever Consume Energy heals you, nearby allies are also healed.

Unbreakable Hide: Dragon Hide pulses protection when active.

Even Flow: Mantra skills will continue to cooldown in the background at half speed even while charges remain, and channeling a Mantra grants protection

in Warrior

Posted by: Kastiel.1947

Kastiel.1947

Whilst I doubt that we’ll see warriors wielding daggers and dragon energy, I simply must give you a shout out for how well written your idea is, ican clearly see you put some effort into it. I’ll give you that its cool and original , and fits the setting – just personally doubt that they’ll go that way . my Spidey sense tingles bout 2h axe and a lot of swords (4+) but then again , such an outcome seems even less likely So wouldn’t mind taking your spec as long as I don’t have to use something silly like a torch

in Warrior

Dand.8231

@Kast
Thanks for the feedback. I actually wrote it on a whim and out of the blue one day, and then sat on it for two weeks untouched, before refining it briefly and posting.

I dont think 2h Axe is an option, as they said no new weapons.

in Warrior

Posted by: Mystic.3207

Mystic.3207

@Dand
I really, really love your idea, it’s creative and fits the bezerker theme! I hope a Anet have something like this in their mind:)
Do you think the daggers of your theory are mainly conditionbased or do they have decent power damage, too? Because like every attack seems to apply a condition.

Kuundrak Boromir – Brave Warrior of the Norn
NORN MASTERRRACE

in Warrior

Dand.8231

@Dand
I really, really love your idea, it’s creative and fits the bezerker theme! I hope a Anet have something like this in their mind:)
Do you think the daggers of your theory are mainly conditionbased or do they have decent power damage, too? Because like every attack seems to apply a condition.

Thanks! My theory is that it could function as a power, hybrid, or condi. The core of the design is theefold: The rapid dual-dagger attacks, the utilization of the F2 Dragon Hide, and the Weakness condition. On a power build, the condis offer a little coverage to your Weakness vs cleanses, but minimal damage, and your attacks will benefit from being combo’d with the Strength tree. On a condi build, they can tick up for a decent amount and stacked with traits from Arms. On a hybrid, you could mix it up with Tactics and possibly even do a shoutdag.

I’m glad I got this posted before the offhand torch teaser. I guess we’ll wait and see what ANet has officially planned for us, but I would like this idea of mine to get a little more exposure! Cmon guys, I’d love to hear your thoughts and comments!!

in Warrior

Posted by: Geoff Fey.1035

Geoff Fey.1035

I saw this before HoT released, and I gotta say this is still my most favourite future Elite spec idea, and probably the most thematic post for professions on this forum.

in Warrior

Dand.8231

I saw this before HoT released, and I gotta say this is still my most favourite future Elite spec idea, and probably the most thematic post for professions on this forum.

I appreciate the shoutout a year later, though I thought I posted this in the warrior forums, while you clearly main a necro

Eeh? Get it?
I’ll see myself out…