New Players: Warrior Purpose.

in Warrior

Posted by: Zsymon.8457

Zsymon.8457

I just wanted to make this topic for new players to learn about warrior purpose (in my opinion, which is not an absolute truth), before they spend all their time leveling their warrior and then figuring out they can’t do what they planned on doing.

- Warrior profession is viable or very good at:

1. Solo pve, grinding and leveling, farming and exploring tough areas.
  2. Group WvWvW pvp, staying with the group in sieges, group offense/defence.
  3. Being a valuable asset to explore and farm in tough dungeons with groups.

Warriors are the best and among the best of the professions for these purposes.

- Warrior profession is NOT viable at:

1. Structured pvp play.
  2. Tournament pvp play.
  3. Dueling other players.
  4. WvWvW pvp roaming.

Warriors simply cannot be used, at all, for these last four content points. If you want to do mainly any of these four, you have to roll another character or you will waste a lot of effort and possibly real life money if you spend it on gems.

A warrior cannot perform in any way in pvp in a situation where there is one or more skilled players in the vicinity.. being skilled doesn’t make a warrior stronger in such situations, the warrior profession mechanics just cannot deal with this game content.

Anyway, this is just my opinion, I do not think that my opinion is a fact, it’s just my opinion, more experienced players know more about this profession than me, so do with it what you want.

(edited by Zsymon.8457)

in Warrior

Posted by: Krathalos.3461

Krathalos.3461

As you said, this is just your opinion. From what I can tell, your opinion on this matter is rather awful.

Warriors being bad in basically small scale PvP? Warriors are a great class in pretty much all situations. Warriors can literally build any way and still be good. They can focus on range, they can focus on CC, they can focus on support through shouts, banners, etc., they can focus on burst melee, or they can even build condition damage (and get up to 25 stacks of bleed by themselves, mind you).

Seriously, I’m confused as to how you think warrior is bad in anything. Warrior is a great, all-around class that is great in pretty much every situation, assuming they’re built for it. Warriors are far too versatile to claim they’re bad at something.

in Warrior

Zsymon.8457

Well, a lot of very experienced tournament/structured pvp players completely disagree with your opinion on this, so I wouldn’t be too quick on calling mine awful. I don’t have much experience with tpvp and spvp, that’s why I based my opinion on those players who do have a lot of experience with that content.

(edited by Zsymon.8457)

in Warrior

Posted by: elithrar.7143

elithrar.7143

Well, a lot of very experienced tournament/structured pvp players completely disagree with your opinion on this, so I wouldn’t be too quick on calling mine awful. I don’t have much experience with tpvp and spvp, that’s why I based my opinion on those players who do have a lot of experience with that content.

Who are these players?

Last I checked, Warriors are still quite popular in top tPvP teams.

1v1 they’re probably one of the stronger classes due to the ability to self-sustain and the significant control they can bring. I’d say that only Mesmers are “better” in 1v1 right now.

[TKG] Mollify

in Warrior

Zsymon.8457

Popular doesn’t mean effective, warrior popularity in pvp is very rapidly dying as well. I also don’t understand why you mention mesmer, but not thieves, by far the most powerful and easy to use one vs one profession when moa morph is on cooldown. Their signet update really didn’t make them any weaker.

(edited by Zsymon.8457)

in Warrior

Posted by: VaJo.7654

VaJo.7654

Popular doesn’t mean effective, warrior popularity in pvp is very rapidly dying as well. I also don’t understand why you mention mesmer, but not thieves, by far the most powerful and easy to use one vs one profession when moa morph is on cooldown.

But you said yourself you know nothing of this. So… wall of text aside you wish u had some undodgeble burst while solo wvw-ing. In a game of rock/paper/scissors u cant play glue. Choices are hard, I know.

in Warrior

Posted by: Krathalos.3461

Krathalos.3461

Popular doesn’t mean effective, warrior popularity in pvp is very rapidly dying as well. I also don’t understand why you mention mesmer, but not thieves, by far the most powerful and easy to use one vs one profession when moa morph is on cooldown. Their signet update really didn’t make them any weaker.

Thieves are only good if you don’t know how to play against them. I’ve yet to die against a thief 1v1 by anything other than Haste/Pistol Whip spam which can be difficult to counter if you don’t have the right skills off CD. I don’t get how you can think thief is good 1v1 but not warrior, when both can have basically the same role, but one carries CC with it instead of simply raw burst.

Warriors are very good 1v1. Your lack of experience is blinding you in this category. Once again, warriors can be great at pretty much anything if they’re built for that particular field.

in Warrior

Posted by: Lyonell.1753

Lyonell.1753

Structured pvp play. <They are viable, not easy cookie to play though. So if you are bad at pvp or run on bad latency/old computer go for something easy like a mesmer.
Tournament pvp play. <If you can’t do above don’t bother with this. Still warriors are good for Tpvp. Not exactly the greatest choice but we are good.
Dueling other players. <LOL??????
WvWvW pvp roaming. <Someone been smoking gasoline fumes. WvW wise, nothing can beat a warrior. So far on my warrior I can easily 3 v 1 and win, 4 – 5 if they are bad too. 1 v 1? No problem I have yet to be beaten 1 v 1. Closest match was with a warrior who had the legendary great sword, but then his team mates came like a mob of bees and destroyed me lawl.

I will redo your list for you:

- Warrior profession is viable or very good at:

-Exploring any area, even higher level areas are available earlier than to most classes. If the player knows what he is doing he can take on mobs 3 -4 levels higher than him and easily down veteran mobs his level and sometimes higher levels. If ranged and good at kiting group event bosses can easily be solo’ed as a warrior.

-Dungeons: A good warrior brings support, heavy dps and a long term survivalbility. Ner build build around berserk gear though, or you will be eating dust a loooot.

-World bosses. But any class is viable.

-WvW: Warriors own WvW, well like with everything GOOD warriors own WvW. You do great on a offensive siege with long bow. Or on a defensive one with said weapon. Single target running away? No prob rifle and condition damage/cripple/immobilization are at your disposal if spec into them.

-Spvp: Only if you understand the class to it’s fullest, you can’t simply spam #2 on n00bs like a thief or blow clones like a mesmer. You are limited in tools but if used correctly you can win almost every battle. Warriors also bring heavy support to the group.

-TPvP ^ Read above.

Now the bad side of the warrior:

-Harsh learning curve.
-Heavy bugs in some of our trees skills.
-Impossible to play in melee with high latency.
-Certain builds aren’t viable due to design failures “Such as banners”.

in Warrior

Posted by: Edelweiss.9815

Edelweiss.9815

Warrior is the only profession I absolutely don’t fear on my Thief and Guardian. The only build that can be considered at least annoying is a tank double-Endure Pain Warrior.

Warrior is definitely not a PvP class.

in Warrior

Posted by: Kanashi.5104

Kanashi.5104

Kanashi * Iorianne * Aliza
Twitch.tv/kanashi | KanashiGD.com

in Warrior

Edelweiss.9815

Seeing you 2v1 and 3v1 other people… oh and doing 1k Eviscerates. Nice.

(edited by Edelweiss.9815)

in Warrior

Posted by: elithrar.7143

elithrar.7143

I have a Thief. It was my main. Mesmers are counter them pretty hard, and a good Warrior can beat one provided you don’t stand still when they stealth.

Your posts seem to be based completely on hearsay.

[TKG] Mollify

in Warrior

Posted by: Monki.5012

Monki.5012

I play a Warrior because I think its the most varied Prof. Each weapon offers a different playstyle. Warriors arnt that bad ad Range too and they can deliver massic CC and/or support to the team.
DPS is quite High from what I saw so far. Speaking about pvE.

Tried other profs but non of them had the varity of the Warrior and got boring quite fast.

Based on built and Loadout Warrior has a counter for almost every situation. Ok Coditions can be a weakspot if shake it of is on CD.

in Warrior

Posted by: Defektive.7283

Defektive.7283

I just wanted to make this topic for new players to learn about warrior purpose (in my opinion, which is not an absolute truth), before they spend all their time leveling their warrior and then figuring out they can’t do what they planned on doing.

#1 Structured pvp play.
#2 Tournament pvp play.
#3 Dueling other players.

1. WvWvW pvp roaming.

This information is so far from wrong. Everyone’s just pessimistic about the profession. I and others are having a lot of success in s/tPvP.

The game is about coordination and communication. As a Warrior, if you’re not effective against Class A. Then inform your team so they can deal with Class A so you can stomp Class B for them.

Example:
tPvP Match:
http://www.twitch.tv/defektive/b/337403142

tPvP Warrior
http://www.twitch.tv/defektive
Team Blacklisted [Envy]

(edited by Defektive.7283)

in Warrior

Posted by: Braxxus.2904

Braxxus.2904

Defektive

if you’re not effective against Class A. Then inform your team so they can deal with Class A

This is, and has been, the worst “balance” design in gaming since forever. IMO.
“Oh, yeah these classes will stomp you, but it’s ok cause you’re good against these other ones…” Yuck.

Rock Paper Scissors is ok when you’re playing the actual game because you choose from the 3 on the fly. In games it’s complete kitten design because you are stuck with one role at a time.

Also: My mesmer is viable vs any class 1v1. My thief is also viable vs any class 1v1. My ele is actually also viable vs any class 1v1. Without switching utilities, without switching weapons and without switching their traits. Every class should be as viable.

Blackwater Vanguard
Yaks Bend

in Warrior

Posted by: Sozai.4071

Sozai.4071

OP, don’t make a thread telling new player not to PvP on warriors when you obviously have very little to no experience in PvP….“but I heard from my friends they’re bad, so they must be bad” That’s not a good way to back up your opinions when you state so definitely what a warrior can and can’t do.

At the very top levels of play, you actually see more warriors filling the role of the burst roamer than thieves. Just look at a team like PZ (arguably the best team in NA). What class do they have as the main roamer and main burst? That’s right…and GS warrior.

New players..ignore this thread and play what you enjoy

in Warrior

Defektive.7283

There’s nothing wrong w/ Rock Paper Scissors if each class has a chance, all be it lower, to say Paper kill Scissors.

I constantly kill bunkers, despite bunkers usually counter me pretty hard.

But GW2 is a team game, focus on your classes strengths instead of banging your head against a wall.

tPvP Warrior
Team Blacklisted [Envy]

in Warrior

Braxxus.2904

Defektive

But GW2 is a team game

Well you should know that I’ve been pretty honest about my disdain for this concept as the excuse for poor class balance. So it’s one of those things where I have freely admitted my bias will factor into my views about it. IMO 1v1 balance is the only true balance worth a kitten and everything else is sub-par. Of course I started off gaming with FPSes back in the day (Go go duke3d on TEN and 14.4 dialup ftw) and pretty heavily competitive with Q2:RA (CTF and TDM) and Tribes in my youth as examples of how “team-based” PvP games can shine. 1v1 balance was always paramount in those and a single strong player, depending on skill, could solo teams for the comeback in some cases making for epic tide turns and replays.

TLDR
I do understand your argument I just disagree with it being a valid justification for issues, though I freely admit to heavy personal bias on this matter.

Blackwater Vanguard
Yaks Bend

in Warrior

Defektive.7283

<- grew up on UT, RTCW

So I understand the lust of having equality across the board.

But over the years I’ve just come to accept that with different class mechanics comes R/P/C.

tPvP Warrior
Team Blacklisted [Envy]

in Warrior

Posted by: Deutero.3986

Deutero.3986

in the end of the day, I believe Warrior is HARD TO MASTER prof.
whenever i met warrior on sPVP, i just kill them rather easy… most of time.
(ofc except few exceptional skillfull warrior)
for example Defektive.

in Warrior

Edelweiss.9815

Defektive runs the wombo combo build. It’s pretty much the only viable Warrior build and it’s luck based, miss the combo and you’re dead. Not fun and gimmicky, but to each their own.

in Warrior

Lyonell.1753

Didn’t I had a match against you last night? Hum very solid player I must admit lol.

in Warrior

Defektive.7283

Defektive runs the wombo combo build. It’s pretty much the only viable Warrior build and it’s luck based, miss the combo and you’re dead. Not fun and gimmicky, but to each their own.

Thats not true at all. Bad warriors blow their loads way to early. I win many fights with little luck involved and i try to only save quickness 100b against ressing enemies.

Good warriors dont need luck to compete, just a strong understanding of game mechanics and timing.

Example:
http://www.twitch.tv/defektive/c/1717839
^tPvP – vs rank40+ bunker guard

tPvP Warrior
Team Blacklisted [Envy]

in Warrior

Posted by: Akumu.7238

Akumu.7238

Don’t be mad if you spend all your time with the warrior and find it difficult to get a good TPvP team. More people are ignoring warriors for their team currently. Ele is the hardest class to master in this game. Warriors just have flaws that hold it back, giving off false difficulty. We are about a 7/10 compared to others. Until our utilities get fixed the warrior will always be lacking.

Yes, you can be viable in s/tPvP. However, don’t fool yourself into thinking that the team wouldn’t benefit more from another class. The battle is never in your control, regardless of build, and you rely completely on the help of someone else. This wouldn’t be a bad thing if every other class was pigeonholed this way.

It’s not a case of “this player is more skilled than me”. Rather “my class is too flawed to take him down properly, please help”.

I don’t wanna live a thousand years. If I just live through today, that’ll be enough.

in Warrior

Posted by: phaeris.7604

phaeris.7604

Warriors do need some changes,alot of bug fixes and changes to grant more utility for sure.

But we’re none of those things you said.

Tpvp we are not great choices merely because other classes are far better at the roles. Currently the bunker issue and the nescessity for portals on khylo means unless you bring a mesmer and bunker classes along you will lose. Once they fix that, warriors will be ok.

Spvp is great fun as a warrior, I do amazingly well because it’s just a laugh. I’ve had challenging fights but i’ve beaten pretty much every class 1v1. The only class I have issues with is the bunker elementalist, so so so hard to get down. (it’s a long kitten fight)

Guardians arn’t that bad, just don’t attack when retaliation is up, (watch their buffs).

Thieves…well, as long as endure pain and other utilities are up I have a good chance at winning. If not, it’s pretty tough, i generally try and just create distance ant wiat for my stuff to come back off cooldown (GS and sword are amazing for running away btw).

Alot of it is working out what classes can do, when to attack, when to run.

WvW…., I stand up pretty well (i’m not glass cannon), I do decent damage and i have alot of mobility/escape as needed. I roam and don’t really stick with the zerg. All classes fair the same in WvW.

Sorry dude, you don’t seem to know how to use the warrior well/ or are specced badly.

Fix the warrior traits (remove those which double up or do nothing), change some of the utilities/banners to actually be useful and add some more group support in and redo the adrenal abilities, that’s about all we need tbh.

in Warrior

Akumu.7238

Thats not true at all. Bad warriors blow their loads way to early. I win many fights with little luck involved and i try to only save quickness 100b against ressing enemies.

Good warriors dont need luck to compete, just a strong understanding of game mechanics and timing.

Example:
http://www.twitch.tv/defektive/c/1717839
^tPvP – vs rank40+ bunker guard

You did exactly what I said it takes to be effective as a warrior glass cannon…

SURPRISE!!!!

Are we warriors?

That was far from a vs match. Also, as someone that plays a tanky guardian, I always keep a scepter on me just for the surprise cannons. scepter and good predictable dodge skills will destroy your build. Since I main a warrior, it’s not hard for me to predict one’s movements.

Look at your hp at the end. A little kiting would have giving the guardian all the time he needed to kill you with almost full hp.

Sword/shield and gs is not the best combo for beating a warrior glass cannon. Warriors are flawed, not weak in damage when specced for it.

This by no means is me stating I’m better than you, but a warriors flaws hold it back way more than it should.

I don’t wanna live a thousand years. If I just live through today, that’ll be enough.

(edited by Akumu.7238)

in Warrior

Defektive.7283

Your assuming that all classes should be able to beat all other classes. But its like youve overlooked standard RPG mechanics. Class A should be better than Class B. But Class C should be better than Class A.

Thats why this is a team game. You compliment each other as a group to be cohesively better.

tPvP Warrior
Team Blacklisted [Envy]

in Warrior

Defektive.7283

On that note. If everyone was so perfectly equal, then 5 necro teams would be viable. What kind of diversity is that? One class should lose to another in order to force diverse team comps and strategy.

tPvP Warrior
Team Blacklisted [Envy]

in Warrior

Akumu.7238

Yes, we compliment each other. However, the warrior brings less to the table. We are thieves without stealth or a meat shield class that that didn’t know the Holy Trinity is gone.

in Warrior

Defektive.7283

In tpvp im a lot more durable than a glass cannon thief.

Warriors bring consistent spike, on demand stability, roaming, longevity through endurance regen and invuls. Stuns and knockdowns up the wazoo.

tPvP Warrior
Team Blacklisted [Envy]

in Warrior

Akumu.7238

In tpvp im a lot more durable than a glass cannon thief.

Warriors bring consistent spike, on demand stability, roaming, longevity through endurance regen and invuls. Stuns and knockdowns up the wazoo.

You just described EVERYTHING that a master of Dagger/Dagger elemental dancing can do, and in some categories even better. While he SUPPORTS his allies with heals/condition removal/debuffs and sheer chaos with the massive spread of aoes booming everywhere.

Btw, I also play Ele. It amazed me, after taking so long to learn the class, how this class is similar to how a warrior should have been with his weapons.

I feel more like a beastly warrior on this class than the slow juggernaut, kitable, and sometimes laughable class the warrior actually is.

I have been able to successfully kite 5 man groups and effectively take out 2v1 fights. This after bleeding so many hours(months) into ele and getting my face smashed recklessly while being called noob, l2p, scrub, and everything else you could imagine. Now I get asked advice on the class and sadly there is no build that will grant you the ability to do it easily. It just takes a load of practice.

It doesn’t matter how much time you put into the warrior, you will always be held back.

(edited by Akumu.7238)

in Warrior

Akumu.7238

This isn’t to say the ele is unstoppable and can’t be countered. However, once you keep putting time into the class it pays off a lot more than the warrior. This also goes for guardian, thief, necro, engie, and mesmer. Putting hard time into these classes pays off a lot more than a warrior(not sure about ranger).

in Warrior

Defektive.7283

Or maybe it just wasnt the class for you.

tPvP Warrior
Team Blacklisted [Envy]

in Warrior

Akumu.7238

Or maybe it just wasnt the class for you.

We will agree to disagree. I just thought a warrior would be a beast on the frontline. I didn’t know a person wearing a T-shirt would be more of a warrior than the guy wearing plate.

in Warrior

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

I keep seeing dividends from my time spent on my Warrior. I accomplish exactly the sort of melee aggression that I was hoping to accomplish as a Warrior, surviving more reckless charges each day.

I will also note that other Warriors seem to be my easiest kill. I think too many people are lost in the simplicity of the moves themselves and lose sight of using them properly depending on what you’re fighting.

Oh well. Fixes are still in order (can’t wait for Fast Hands to not get me killed every once in a while), but it really seems like top-tier tPvP is the only potential place where the class might need solid tweaks, based solely on what I’ve seen/read. I have too much fun in WvWvW to do much sPvP.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in Warrior

phaeris.7604

Akumu, Every single d/d ele i’ve played against can do what you’re saying. It’s just the mechanics of the class at the moment.

You think it’s your amazing skill which is allowing you to kite 5 mans and so on? or maybe it’s just that the elementalist d/d d/s specs have some insane healing/regen in them and are clearly opd.

IN fact arena net even stated they’ll be looking at ele bunker builds. With those balanced wait to see if you’re still amazing or brought in line with other class survivability.

I just played an spvp game, i beat the hell out of two warriors, 2v1, bad warriors are just so easy. It’s not a forgiving class if you can’t play it well, unlike cough*mesmer*cough*guardian*cough*thief*cough*d/d elementalist (mistform,arcane shield,earthen shield, spam water aoe run around alot, sopam lightning, get regen with atunement switches…..)…

in Warrior

Posted by: Kanashi.5104

Kanashi.5104

Didn’t I have a match against you last night? Hum very solid player I must admit lol.

I think we possibly fought each other. Were you on a warrior?

Seeing you 2v1 and 3v1 other people… oh and doing 1k Eviscerates. Nice.

Not going over the previous portions of the video:

@ 4:54 1700 Eviscerate on a Guardian (plate) with two pips of adrenaline.

@ 6:18 2632 Eviscerate on a thief with 2 adrenaline pips.

@ 6:52 I was hit for a 2552 HB evading 3 of the effective hits, hmmm.

@ 7:00 1649 Eviscerate on a Warrior (Plate) with 2 adrenaline pips.

@ 7:13 1424 Eviscerate on same Warrior with only 2 adrenaline pips.

Now being 30 tactics/25 defense/15 Strength those numbers sound about right especially on plate. The fact that I was poorly executing my Eviscerates with two pips instead of 3 allowed for a few of the enemies to heal or not be downed. That was bad on my part but I really don’t see the problem. I did not build a glass cannon and still I dish out plenty of damage. My auto attacks commonly go from 600~1k depending on armor value of the enemy, that is fine with me.

The fight was a 2v2 until the third person showed up and by then we had the guardian almost down. I 1v1 earlier in the video if that is what you want to see but honestly the game is about team effort not 1v1. If you watched to the end you would also note that I was going 1v3. I did have support from the treb but a good player can dodge the treb.

Hopefully that adds some clarity to the situation =3c

Kanashi * Iorianne * Aliza
Twitch.tv/kanashi | KanashiGD.com

in Warrior

Lyonell.1753

Oh no I was on my thief failing around lol.

Trying to learn how to thief but it’s rather boring imo.

in Warrior

Akumu.7238

@phaeris
Bunker Ele can be countered by a good thief or mesmer, fyi.

An ele needs to know where his abilities are, when to use them, and how to manage his time accordingly. If you find yourself running around doing nothing, then you have miscalculated your movements. It is far from “faceroll” or mindless “spamming”.

However, that’s far from my point. Warriors are effectively a 7/10 in the best of hands. No matter how good you are, you would do better as another. You can love the warrior all you want(I still do), but stop being blind into thinking a warrior is great, just because he can pop some high numbers. What about everything else the game offers?

Why have support skills if we suck at it?
Why have just as many utilities as other classes, if most are useless/redundant?
Why wear heavy armor if we can’t avoid/mitigate damage effectively?
Why have a “finisher” skill that’s useless?
Why are we melee if we can’t stand on the frontlines?
Why are we almost “forced” into getting Rune of the soldier?

Runes should be more of a decision up to the player’s preference/playstyle(like other classes). Not something you need because your class will be risking a lot without.

If anything the Warrior should have been more like dagger/dagger ele, without the magic. It keeps you on the frontline and you indirectly support your allies, just by constantly bringing the fight to the enemy. Stances should have been changeable in battles(like attunements) and not worthless utility skills.

1)AoE fields: damages enemies and allies can combo off of it. Others effectively debuff the surrounding enemies.

2)Signet of restoration: keeps you fighting by giving you a small heal for each attack.

3)Ride the lightining, Burning speed, Magnetic grasp: Allows you to keep up with your prey.

4)Changing “stances”(attunements): Each give you a nice boon, condition removal, or a decent heal that effectively keeps you on the frontlines.

How much can a warrior do that effectively keeps him in melee range and on the frontlines? Compared to the above dagger/dagger ele.

No nerf Anet implements will magically fix what the warrior is slacking in. Proper Support and Control.

(edited by Akumu.7238)

in Warrior

Akumu.7238

I find myself doing what I did in that other thread. So again, I will be done with this topic as well. If the Warrior is all rainbows and ponies for you because you see high numbers, then great.

I just thought Anet told us the Holy Trinity was gone. Which made me think the warrior would be more than just damage or meatshields.

in Warrior

Posted by: Varyag.3751

Varyag.3751

1. Structured pvp play.
  2. Tournament pvp play.
  3. Dueling other players.
  4. WvWvW pvp roaming.

Warriors aren’t horrible at pvp – it’s just that there are far better options available that make most of the other classes more viable options.

Due to this the only point of yours which stands in my mind is #2 and even then you can make them work.

I play Warrior, Guardian, Elementalist and Thief.

(edited by Varyag.3751)

in Warrior

Braxxus.2904

Varyag

Warriors aren’t horrible at pvp – it’s just that there are far better options available that make most of the other classes more viable options.

Due to this the only point of yours which stands in my mind is #2 and even then you can make them work.

^
Even though I have a few less than happy feelings about some of the warrior traits, utilities and overall design I have to agree with Varyag here. The biggest issue is that other classes bring MORE. Warriors are capable and hell as much as I kitten about them I still play mine (because for the most part I MUST be a “warrior” main to be happy in any MMO, it’s a style thing
AoC gave me bear shaman which was a hammer warrior with auras and healing basically… man I wish shouts were better….”).

Defektive, though he and I debate a fair bit here, does provide valuable footage of a warrior doing well. I still maintain that you would do better on another class though Defektive, but I wholly understand the need to play that warrior.

To that end I will still hold out hope that ANet will do some adjustments to warriors to improve the gameplay of them without doing something drastic and kittening them up one way or the other (too buff, even weaker, etc). They have to see on the threads and from in-game data the biggest issues with the class such as the extremely small pool of “viable” utility skills to choose from. Frenzy and Stability, as Defektive mentioned, basically being must haves in order to really be viable. Lackluster self-sustainability with the shouts even though it still beats other options if you decide to stray from a frenzy build. The very lackluster longbow, shield cd’s even when traited, MH sword being a movement tool instead of a weapon, etc.

Warriors aren’t in the worst place in the world, but they sure could use a hug by the class devs.

Blackwater Vanguard
Yaks Bend

in Warrior

Posted by: Genocide.8275

Genocide.8275

I really wish I could have Fraps’d this game, it was a good one, but my computer is running like kitten, and I can’t run Fraps right now. I’ll get a good video up here when I can run Fraps again.

Anyway, the combat log is just an example to show the kind of damage output a warrior can produce. 15-20k each on 2 separate players, while they are both knocked down from mace 5, all in a matter of about 4 seconds, while being invincible and immune to cc. Topped off with a 12k eviscerate, at that.

Combine that kind of damage, consistently, with 50% uptime on fury, swiftness and 5 stacks of might, a stunbreaker plus 5 seconds of invulnerability, 8 seconds of stability and 4 seconds of quickness (no drawback if used in conjunction with Endure Pain), and you have a ferocious melee class.

But wait, there’s more… you also get a melee snare, ranged snare, 3 seconds of shield block, a stun, a gap closer, an AoE knockdown, and a wicked finisher on top of almost 22k hp and 1500 toughness.

Warrior is just fine as it is, and I don’t see what the qq is all about. Please try not to mislead poor new players, in the future, with your incoherent babble.

P.S. I speak from an sPvP & tPvP perspective. I don’t give a kitten about the rest of you But hey, at least I’m honest.

Attachments:

in Warrior

Akumu.7238

I had to go against my word and respond to this…It was too great to pass up. Sorry if this “hurts” me in any way.

@Genocide

Congratulations you press 5, pop endure pain/balanced stance, then proceed to spamming 1. Oh sorry, with the occasional f1. Also, 5 is not an “AoE” as you must line up your targets. Same as Crack Shot is not considered an AoE. So yea… that explains the skill level of the two people you were fighting… 12k eviscerate LMAO, yea right. The guy used HB…I wonder what his build was? Good luck on doing that against someone non-glass cannon…

Seriously sounds great against players that don’t use dodge/support. After all you only have 1500 toughness, which makes you have about an effective 10-12k hp. You don’t have any effective skills to heal yourself after the massive damage you take. They can also avoid your 5 seconds of “unstoppable rage”.

Thieves: stealth, caltrops, or the popular unicorn build. With such low toughness a thief only has to stealth and press 2 before you even notice he’s there. Also have good stun breakers and can use the shortbow to out maneuver you, even worst if they have their speed traits or signet.

Mesmers: Sheer confusion of illusions, cloaks, teleports, boon removals, Shatters, Daze, Confusion. Debuffs. Phantasms…Oh how they will crit you for the serious damage with 1500 toughness…Good luck even glancing at the correct mesmer.

Eles: Good elemental dancing(how I love facing glass cannon warriors when I’m on this alt). Auras alone will slow down your glass cannon ways. Maybe just teleport away from you to make that 5 seconds fill like milliseconds as you rush towards me. Which also is a stun breaker,. So if you manage to knock me down, good luck keeping me there.

Guardian: Massive def, retaliation, protection, high hp(if using something like knight amulet), very effective self heals, knockback. Also, filled with stun breakers that doesn’t have to be used up as quickly as yours would be.

Necro: Conditions…Enough said. Your “defense” won’t be able to stop them after they are easily applied. Maybe even just life force(f1) passed your attacks with some dodges. But lets not forget, they have stun breakers also. Don’t let him have his minions out with your low toughness either…

Engi: A good bunker engi can easily avoid you as you try to line him up. With such low toughness you will be trying to heal yourself before your able to do anything. Which means you would then have to rush to attack him but he still controls the fight. He only loses if he panics.

You don’t see what the justified complaints about warrior are because you still have that classic MMO mentality. You see big numbers combined with a few minor CC and think AMAZING CLASS!!! You may be good, but that “guy” over there has more to offer to the team. You’re still limited to being a 7/10 by flawed design, like the rest of us.

DAMAGE is not the warriors problem…

(edited by Akumu.7238)

in Warrior

phaeris.7604

Again, the fact you find your successful on a elementalist and not very good on a warrior merely demonstrates my point that playing a d/d elementalist at the moment isn’t very hard. It’s no coincidence that every single one I play against is just annoying, and you have to go through the same rigmorale of waiting for mist form, waiting for the earthen shield to fall before you cc, looking for the shocking aura, waiting for arcane shield to go away etc…until you can try and burst them down (only after they’re at 40 percent health as a rule)

I had a fight with one yesterday, (who obvisouly thought he was hot kitten as he chased me after i decided to try and 2v1 against him and a guardian, but then i retreated as the guardian was clearly bunker), the fight lasted so long my signet of rage came up twice. (btw i only run healing signet), I won in the end. It was a good fight, but arduous.

I can understand why they go that spec though, i tore through a staff elementalist soon after that, so why souldn’t you go a godly spec which not only outputs damage but gives healing and incredible durability + movement skills.

Guardians…I really have no issue fighting them anymore 1v1. They all rely on retaliation and zealots flame bursts/circle of wrath for damage. Because I run greatsword spec I’ll just keep my range and wiat for the buffs to fall then i’ll attack, the two bufs you look for are retaliation,stability and protection, once these arn’t present they’re ripe for a burst. You can’t just run in and wildly swing against them hoping to dps them down, that’s what they actually want.

The fact you said that a good mesmer or thief can kill a bunker ele goes to show how opd they are, they can only be dealt with by the two most op classes in the game currently, what doed that say?? When they nerf the thief and mesmer (which will surely occur at some point), what will kill you then?

in Warrior

Posted by: Bish.8627

Bish.8627

Here is my two cents. Warrior is viable at everything, except (so far in my experience, could change) main tanking higher end dungeons without a ton of support. Otherswise, being a support tank, or nearly main tank WITH a guardian, is incredible, the group will thank you for it and dungeons will go smooth. I have a friend guardian, we run dungeons together a lot, know each others play style, we grind together often grabbing all the mobs in the area and taking them down, we wvw together, often prevailing against greater numbers.

So lets go a little deeper in to how I have made my warrior not only viable, but strong in all circumstances.

Condition spec, dual swords. I ran this for months, built on condition, very defensive, made me tough to bring down, and while a mob or player tried so, they had around 2000 dps ticking away, not to mention the damage caused by actually hitting them. Condition makes seige aoe with longbow pretty insane. Watching fire tick around 700, crit and cause bleeds, entire groups moving out of your aoe alone. It means if you couple with an ele, ranger, necro, you can very much add a strong influence.

I admit, condition is slow for grinding/questing, but there is 0 downtime after killing 4-5 mobs solo.

Now I run axe and sheild. You say we cant wvw roam? That 12k evicerates are not possible? Well I am certain they are as I am more tank built and I have seen up to 11k on a low clothie. More my level and armour? 8-9k maybe, not to mention the fast auto attacks, cyclone axe adding vuln, ranged snare, sheild bash and 3 seconds of blocking (stand in the middle of sm while a zerg attacks with 2 guardians, trait reflect missle, walk out to zerg, /laugh, wait to get shot, block and watch numbers, guardians use wall of reflect, zerg steps back, hilarious every time). As for wvw roaming, I probably shouldnt admit this, but myself and a mesmer camped an enemy teams spawn yesterday for quite some time. We sat there, 3 come out and go down, 4, 6 and only when a zerg (we legged it) came did we move. Later me, the mesmer and a low level theif were beaten by 10. Rifle is strong in this spec also, 10k kills shots are lovely, volley can be insane, longbow is alright.

As for dungeons and grinding mobs? Again great, dungeons I can offtank, semi main tank as 20/25/25. Grinding mobs is east, gain adrenaline when hit and 50% crit against stunned enemies means you tear through mobs, can even do so puling a bunch at a time.

So here is my point. Those that say not viable are doing it wrong. Yes ok I may be making myself sound like some amazing player, I am good, not amazing, I have played mmos a long time and always played heavy armor melee. The other problem I see is a lot of warriors dont experiment, the one thing this game does well is let you custom your char to how you play. That for me is a decent level of crit and burst, but mostly defensive, I can run in a zerg, annoy, maybe drop 1, then run away, I dont have to stay ranged (although chances are I wont get as many repair bills getting caught out). Warriors should be dropping the greatsword now and then, picking up other weapons, going with other stats, asking other warriors about their traits, experimenting, finding what makes THEM viable, not the warrior.

in Warrior

Akumu.7238

Dude, your not getting it…I don’t care how badly Anet nerf Ele. I don’t care care if they couldn’t break apart a wet paper bag. It’s only my alt anyway. I main as a Warrior.

You must be trolling me or something…How are you not getting this?

ANET CAN NERF EVERY CLASS IN GW2 but unless they bring back the Holy Trinity the GW2 Warrior will be flawed. Nerfing every class down to the warriors 7/10 effectiveness is a terrible idea. Especially when MOST of the other classes are above it…

Warrior is perfect but everyone else is too OP? Yea, ok buddy…

Last time and seriously I’m done repeating myself.

Damage is not warriors issue.

1) 2/3 utilities: useless/redundant

2) Burst skills: Mostly useless

3) Traits: Have you looked at them? Most of our master traits are pitiful and the smaller ones are not any better(besides a few).

4) Support: Very little support that isn’t very effective

5) Control: Very little control that also isn’t very effective

6) Damage: Great

7) Most other classes can Support/Control/Damage on effective levels, while still being great in one category. *Depending on builds

I could go into MUCH greater detail, but I already have a collection of rants in this thread and another. Until most of the above gets fixed we will always be 7/10 at best. Unless you are hacking the game you are living in denial.

Are Warriors viable in PvE/PvP/WvW? yes

Can a warrior bring ANYTHING that another can’t bring more/better? no

Rating = 7/10

You might enjoy the class. It may offer what you were looking for. However, it doesn’t mean you can’t find better or it couldn’t be better.

It’s the same as when you buy a game. 7/10 doesn’t mean it sucks.

/goodbye

in Warrior

phaeris.7604

Dude…it’s ok.

I agree on most of those things. Warriors do need alot of fixing/adjustments.

But you know why i’m ok with it atm?

Because we won’t get nerfed.

Considering how well I do with my warrior any buffs we receive will only make me stonger, and that will be phenomenal.

It’s better to be bottom of the pile that the top in an mmo game at the start. I’d be more worried if I was a thief/mesmer/guardian or a d/d elementalist right now.

in Warrior

Posted by: Varyag.3751

Varyag.3751

5) Control: Very little control that also isn’t very effective

Honestly, I have to disagree with this. Use a hammer with a mace secondary and you have two two stuns, a knockback, a knockdown, a push, a cripple and a daze. If you use a shield with your mace you get an additional stun, use a mace offhand instead and you’ll get another knockdown. If you wanted even more you could use the physical skills, they have an immobilize, a launch, a push and a knockdown – physical skills could use a bit of loving, but they’re usable for control in PvE quite easily. Bull’s Charge is widely loved in PvP also.

I play Warrior, Guardian, Elementalist and Thief.

in Warrior

Akumu.7238

@Varyag

You’re right my mistake for not being more clear. I was really just giving a basic layout.
We can go that route for better control, but it still doesn’t flow as smoothly as it should. . While the Warrior can bring consistent control with his weapons. In a Control vs Control fight we can easily be lockdown and killed, due to highly predictable attacks(slow). Which makes it worst for us because our support is trash. Not to mention we move like bricks. We are even more open to be kited.

So as this route we have 2 options….

1) Increase damage output and be more glass cannon.(So our mace/hammer does better damage but can be downed easier).

2) Be more tanky which will only make you a meatshield. Relying mostly on others to deal out the better dps. Also, some good heals for the long fights.

A bunker engie works with control effects, but he’s still able to support himself and be more mobile as he blasts you around. While still outputting nice damage. Another example of how we’re viable but still another can do better.

Meatshield or Glass Cannon are our most effective options. Meatshield doesn’t belong in GW2 and I guess Glass Cannon does what it’s suppose to do being it’s purpose.

Sure you can spec in conditions(I do sometimes), but a lot of other classes have much easier ways to remove conditions. So a prepared player can drastically affect your dps output. Condition Removal every 10 seconds, I’m looking at you…Which wouldn’t be a problem if we…

1) Had more conditions we could apply, thus lessening the chances of our bleed(main condition) being wiped without a chance(Even shake it off can remove it currently in 1v1…).

2) Could effectively apply bleeds quicker by giving MH sword 1(last attack) a bleed effect. Also, OH 5(Riposte) not relying on the less aware to attack you. I would prefer if I could just activate it on my own. I really don’t need that adrenaline boost… In PvP a player can still dodge after activating it. Good luck trying to pull it off in WvW.

I came up with 2 because of a necro. It’s hard to keep up with their conditions. You can wash them away, but he’ll start loading them up on you immediately after. So his dps output, while drops due to needing to reapply stacks, stays much more consistant and doesn’t utterly plummets.

Longbow: Good in sieges, nothing else.