Precision vs Critical Damage

in Warrior

Posted by: Sebbo.4170

Sebbo.4170

Hey guys I want my Warrior to be a bit tanky, and I’m deciding which equipment he should get.

- Armor + Accessory Power Precision Toughness
- Armor + Accessory Power Vitaly Crit Damage
- Armor Power Precision Toughness + Accessory Power Vitaly Crit Damage

What do you think is best?
And when is it better to go for Precision or Crit Damage (E.G. Crit Damage is better when Crit Chance is over 50%)?

in Warrior

Posted by: Rayya.2591

Rayya.2591

depends what you mean by “tanky” -for pve ? pvp ? dungeons ? wvw ?, able to survive an burst or able to constant stay betwen mobs.
regarding critical power vs critical damage – you can make an simple calculation

let’s take normal hit 1000 damage at 50% critical chance and 50 critical damage in 10 hits you will do 5 non crits -5000 damage
5 crits base critical power 1.5+ 0.5 =2x → 10.000 damage so totaly 15.000 damage

if you get 30% critical chance and 85 critical damage – out of 10 hits you will do
7 non crit -7000 damage and
3 crit base crit power 1.5 +0.85 -2.35x -7050 damage > totaly 14050 damage

but critical power can be improved a lot from food ( maintenance oil + other foods that gives 70 – 100 precision

http://imgur.com/a/fKgjD
no.1 WvW kills

in Warrior

Posted by: Sebbo.4170

Sebbo.4170

Okay thanks for the comparison

in Warrior

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Vitality is quite bad stat for Warrior because of high base-health.

in Warrior

Posted by: Nonlinear.9823

Nonlinear.9823

you want at least 50% crit damage to get a positive return on your precision in the long run.

Expected Damage = P * (1 + C * (0.5 + D))

Where P = Power, C = Crit % and D = Crit Damage (as a %)

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Critical_hit

in Warrior

Posted by: SkyChef.5432

SkyChef.5432

It’s not that simple as it looks because when you change gears, your power is also changed. Unless you keep your power constant when changing gears, you will need 15% increased in critical damage to make up for 5% lost in critical chance. You definitely need a spreadsheet to calculate the total damage with those variables being changed.

People are too serious of their knowledge.

in Warrior

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

Vitality is a wasted stat on gear for a Warrior. You have tons of base HP anyway and will usually get a lot more from traits. The only gear choices that make sense for an Axe/Mace/Greatsword/Hammer/Rifle Warrior are Berserker’s and Knight’s gear.

As for a straight trade-off between Precision and Critical Damage, the break point depends on how much of each you already have; each point of Critical Damage is worth an amount of Precision equal to:

(Precision – 832) / (50 + CriticalDamage)

in Warrior

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

I’ve been running full p/t/v gear on my warrior with Runes of Earth. Hammer/Great Sword, which changes depending on the fight. Should I change to full cleric’s gear to help my Regen Banners and get a rune set that increases Healing Power?

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

in Warrior

Posted by: Evalia.7103

Evalia.7103

What is needed to remember that there is a kind of equilibrium, at which putting a point in precision is equal to putting a point in power and equal to putting a point’s worth in critical damage. There are some formula’s that can help find you that… Unfortunately they are quite basic and don’t include on-crit effects. Complete formula would be incredibly hard for me to do, but I’m almost sure that effective amount of critical chance(if you use your stats in a right way, you could lose out on points by simply not getting them(inferior gear, usage of inferior food/wrench buff or no use of them at all, bonuses from karma hearts you could get(norn starting area buffs,etc), as well as stacking sigils that have a replacing trick to them) lays inbetween 70 and 90 % .
Of course basic formulas might show otherwise, but the more critical chance your GS warrior gets, the more power you will have(might stacks from crits), the more bleeds you will apply(passive trait (5) in arms), the more vulnerability(popular arms trait), and of course procs from your food and sigils.
Having a critical chance at high amounts just as well makes your damage less random. You will not get frustrated then by a spree of attacks that just won’t crit.
Note: I find a combination of berserker, knight’s, soldier’s and new power/toughness/crit damage gear very effective. You want just a little bit of soldier, because vitality is not quite as effective on a warrior, but you should remember that first points in it count the most.

(edited by Evalia.7103)

in Warrior

Posted by: Beefcake.9032

Beefcake.9032

There are some formula’s that can help find you that… Unfortunately they are quite basic and don’t include on-crit effects.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/12dmi5/tip_stat_optimization_with_crit_damage/

What’s this new Power/Toughness/Crit.Dmg gear and where can I get it?

Wrainbash, Asura Warrior of Kodasch Allianz [KoA]
Du spielst auf Kodasch? Besuche doch mal die Kodasch Community Webseite! :)

in Warrior

Posted by: Evalia.7103

Evalia.7103

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/12dmi5/tip_stat_optimization_with_crit_damage/

What’s this new Power/Toughness/Crit.Dmg gear and where can I get it?

It is fractal gear only at the moment(ascended rings and backpack, and random chance for account bound armor pieces(exotic – not ascended)). I use exactly those rings and backpack by the way :P They also have a very small points/crit damage ratio conversation (8.5/1% for rings and 7/1% for backpack, that is however coming from the fact that you can’t separate them from jewels inside)
By the way, I don’t like the highlighted phrase. I would like to get gloves, boots and shoulders(most efficient parts in terms of crit damage on armor :P) with those stats but I can’t because of their randomness(done 250 fractals and didn’t ever get one, only helmet with such stats)

(edited by Evalia.7103)