[PvE] Dual-Axes or Dual-Swords

in Warrior

Posted by: Orcinus Orca.8627

Orcinus Orca.8627

Hey,

I have a hard time to decide between these two weapon sets since I enjoy both of them.
1. I love the mobility and pretty much every single skill of the dual-swords bar. Skill #2 is awesome when just running around, exploring and killing single enemies. This set feels very dynamic.
2. On the other hand I also love the look, feel and vibe of two brutal axes. Aesthetically the skills are perfectly fine, but most of them lack in the power department. I tend to use them nonetheless.

What do you think, which of these two sets is more efficient in killing PvE enemies and more versatile (open world, big boss events, dungeons and maybe even WvW) since the latest update – maybe even in consideration of HoT if it’s possible?

Thanks in advance for reading.

in Warrior

Posted by: Zantmar.5406

Zantmar.5406

Sword sword is better for wvw due to the block and the leap
People generally shy away from dual axes due to the axe off hand being rather lacklustre pre patch,however,now that berserker’s power depends on quickly building and the spending the adrenaline I’d say looks pretty good for pve/dungeons(imo better than mace in maintaining ur dps)

I’ll if you require movement skills simple equip a great sword as well as ur double axes for traveling around as both of them are weapons that scale based on power

Sword sword might become the new meta for due to condition changes however, we don’t know that yet and the fact warriors are fairly fast at killing whatever iris with power weapons in pve- it didn’t matter

Imo in this game, looks is everything
Edit: if you think axe lacks in power- you r terriblly wrong(unless ur running a defensive warrior in pve which means ur wrong to the core) 2700+ hours on warrior

Life blast should hit twice and have its damage halfed
If Rocket Charge is only 2 leaps then it should look like 2 leaps
True Shot should be cast on the move

(edited by Zantmar.5406)

in Warrior

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

I’ve been a fan of Sword/Sword in open world PvE for years, long before the latest patch, because between cleaving and bleed-stacking, swords make it possible cut through huge swaths of mobs, stack lots of bleeds on them, sidestep, duck, dodge in and out and generally not have to worry about finishing them off.

Whenever I run with the greatsword or hammer (which I enjoy mainly for the CC and stress-relief purposes), I constantly find myself chasing down stragglers that have that last little bit of health left. Not so with the sword. Once they get a stack of bleeds on them, they’re doomed..

I like the ranged torment on offhand sword, and if someone throws down a combo field, the leap is nice, too, but for most open world PvE scenarios it’s all direct damage and bleeds, and so far in my initial post-patch testing, things seem to be fine.

YMMV.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

in Warrior

Posted by: Zantmar.5406

Zantmar.5406

Indeed rampaged/sinister seems to do verywell, equip a longbow and watch them run around in burning field while u bleed them with ur sword the fire field shngerize with ur sword’s leap and projectile so u can get a lot of condition damage going very quickly
However by going dedicated hybrid or condi, u kitten ur self out of the rest of the warrior’s weapon sets And if u ever plan to switch build, ur gonna have to get another set of armor
Also not sure what kind of warrior u been playing, I can leap block dodge shout but I have never seen my warrior “duck”

Life blast should hit twice and have its damage halfed
If Rocket Charge is only 2 leaps then it should look like 2 leaps
True Shot should be cast on the move

in Warrior

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Also not sure what kind of warrior u been playing, I can leap block dodge shout but I have never seen my warrior “duck”

A grammatical ambiguity, I suppose. “Ducking” can refer not just to lowering one’s head, but to moving quickly, as in “ducking in and out of cover” (see duck cases 2 and 6).

Of course, in most GW2 scenarios, cover isn’t a thing (except for LOS-ing ranged attackers with walls and the like), but when using the sword, I never, ever stand still. In this case, I’m referring to lunging into a group of enemies and quickly retreating before they can hit me.

If you see me fighting, you’ll see me circle-strafing, sidestepping and ducking in and out of crowds of mobs both to avoid their blows and position my cleave for maximum effect. I try not to dodge unless I absolutely have to, but with proper positioning, it’s rarely needed.

The sword’s cleave is, in my opinion, one of the best and most natural of any weapon in the game, and along with the bleed stacking lends itself perfectly to a “fencing” approach.

As for gear, I tend to use Assassin’s or Berserker’s for versatility, and they seem to work quite well with sword in open world PvE. I note that Sinister is a thing now, but I haven’t looked into that yet — I’m just coming back after a long hiatus and have 32 characters to work through, so stuff like that isn’t a top priority.

Running around with swords, however, still seems strong as ever, and maybe stronger.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

in Warrior

Orcinus Orca.8627

Sword sword is better for wvw due to the block and the leap
People generally shy away from dual axes due to the axe off hand being rather lacklustre pre patch,however,now that berserker’s power depends on quickly building and the spending the adrenaline I’d say looks pretty good for pve/dungeons(imo better than mace in maintaining ur dps)

I’ll if you require movement skills simple equip a great sword as well as ur double axes for traveling around as both of them are weapons that scale based on power

Sword sword might become the new meta for due to condition changes however, we don’t know that yet and the fact warriors are fairly fast at killing whatever iris with power weapons in pve- it didn’t matter

Imo in this game, looks is everything
Edit: if you think axe lacks in power- you r terriblly wrong(unless ur running a defensive warrior in pve which means ur wrong to the core) 2700+ hours on warrior

Thanks for your reply. You misunderstood my statement regarding the lacking power of axes. What I meant is that the auto chain and the burst skill are very powerful and I love them, but most of the other skills (especially those from the off-hand were pretty lackluster). I still enjoyed using them. Whirling in a pack of mobs is somewhat satisfying. Since you mentioned the off-hand is now more powerful/useful the decision between those two sets is even harder.
I can’t deny the power of a greatsword but I don’t like it’s skills and feel as a whole. I plan to either use Dual-Swords or -Axes and x/Warhorn or Longbow.

I’ve been a fan of Sword/Sword in open world PvE for years, long before the latest patch, because between cleaving and bleed-stacking, swords make it possible cut through huge swaths of mobs, stack lots of bleeds on them, sidestep, duck, dodge in and out and generally not have to worry about finishing them off.

Whenever I run with the greatsword or hammer (which I enjoy mainly for the CC and stress-relief purposes), I constantly find myself chasing down stragglers that have that last little bit of health left. Not so with the sword. Once they get a stack of bleeds on them, they’re doomed..

I like the ranged torment on offhand sword, and if someone throws down a combo field, the leap is nice, too, but for most open world PvE scenarios it’s all direct damage and bleeds, and so far in my initial post-patch testing, things seem to be fine.

YMMV.

Thanks, that’s exactly what I enjoy about the swords (hence the word “dynamic” in the OP").

Indeed rampaged/sinister seems to do verywell, equip a longbow and watch them run around in burning field while u bleed them with ur sword the fire field shngerize with ur sword’s leap and projectile so u can get a lot of condition damage going very quickly
However by going dedicated hybrid or condi, u kitten ur self out of the rest of the warrior’s weapon sets And if u ever plan to switch build, ur gonna have to get another set of armor

Thank you. Locking myself out of the other weapons isn’t a big deal (in case I decide to go with swords and full condi damage) since I’m not interested in most of the other ones (besides that I already have a full set of Berserker exotics for my dual-axes). Greatsword is a no-go in general and I don’t like the rifle skill set either. Hammer gameplay is very fun but rather inefficient in PvE. Mace and shield are not my cup of tea, too. So this decision is pretty much straight forward.

in Warrior

Posted by: redcomyn.4651

redcomyn.4651

I like the dual sword, also. A year or so ago, I did try the greatsword, but didn’t like it at all. I died a lot more often using greatsword than I did with dual swords, so I went back to the swords. It is a lot of fun, and “dynamic” is the right word to use for it. It is fast paced, especially with that trait that speeds up your attacks with the swords (forget the name of it).

in Warrior

Orcinus Orca.8627

Another question: which stats (prefix) would you recommend for the swords?

in Warrior

Orcinus Orca.8627

It is fast paced, especially with that trait that speeds up your attacks with the swords (forget the name of it).

Dual Wielding? IIRC somebody on the forums wrote that it is bugged and reduces the distance of Savage Leap. Furious might be the better trait for swords.

in Warrior

Posted by: Swarley.4723

Swarley.4723

I’ve been a fan of dual swords as well (came into GW2 as an ex fury warrior, so is not new).
With the new traits system i’m having tons of fun with them, without even investing in condi gear.
I’m running a knight/zerker set as i’m not a hardcore player and prefer a defense buffer to play stress free, anyway i see bleeds doing more damage now than before the patch on a dedicated rampager armor. Takes a bit to start, but once gets going all the arms traits sinergize into a bleed machine.

That said, i have a pair of axes as well, because they are just as fun. If you don’t care about meta/hardcore play, just get a versatile armor and collect weapons.
At least is what i’ve did, and keeps the class fresh

in Warrior

Orcinus Orca.8627

I’ve been a fan of dual swords as well (came into GW2 as an ex fury warrior, so is not new).
With the new traits system i’m having tons of fun with them, without even investing in condi gear.
I’m running a knight/zerker set as i’m not a hardcore player and prefer a defense buffer to play stress free, anyway i see bleeds doing more damage now than before the patch on a dedicated rampager armor. Takes a bit to start, but once gets going all the arms traits sinergize into a bleed machine.

That said, i have a pair of axes as well, because they are just as fun. If you don’t care about meta/hardcore play, just get a versatile armor and collect weapons.
At least is what i’ve did, and keeps the class fresh

That’s probably what I’ll be doing. Zerker armor and trinkets, two swords with condi damage and 2 axes with Zerker stats. So I’ll be able to constantly switch between them and have fun with both of them. Thanks.

in Warrior

Posted by: redcomyn.4651

redcomyn.4651

It is fast paced, especially with that trait that speeds up your attacks with the swords (forget the name of it).

Dual Wielding? IIRC somebody on the forums wrote that it is bugged and reduces the distance of Savage Leap. Furious might be the better trait for swords.

I hadn’t heard that. Has it been confirmed?

in Warrior

Orcinus Orca.8627

I hadn’t heard that. Has it been confirmed?

I don’t know, I haven’t traced that discussion. Maybe I’m able to find it again…

Edit: I can’t find the topic anymore, neither on the official forums nor on Reddit. Maybe it was just in my dreams. -.-

(edited by Orcinus Orca.8627)